General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin 305 not working in multisport mode Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-03 9:07 AM

Subject: Garmin 305 not working in multisport mode
About three months ago, my Garmin 305 stopped uploading multisport workouts (like, you know, races... ) to Garmin Connect. Initially they said it was my problem and said I needed to reset things, which I did, but I later saw some posts here which suggested that many people (perhaps everyone with a Garmin 305). So I would like to ask and find out. The workouts upload to BT fine.

If you have a Garmin 305, have you been able to upload workouts saved in multisport mod recently to Gramin Connect? Just to be clear, thats the mode where you press the lap button and it goes from biking to running or whatever else you have set it up to do, and then at the end it has a record of each separate activity and the combined activity.

I'm interested if it works or if it doesn't work. If there are a lot of people for whom it doesn't work, I will ask Garmin again to fix it.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

2013-07-03 9:48 AM
in reply to: north_north_west

Regular
SC
Subject: RE: Garmin 305 not working in multisport mode
No, I can't upload multiple workouts to Connect either. Been happening for a couple of months now. I contacted Garmin, did the reset, and the problem still exists.
2013-07-03 10:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
This is the first time that I have been sorely disappointed with Garmin's technical support.

I was told that I need to reset my watch between each workout. That seemed like fairly incompetent advice. I reminded them that there is a reason why the watch has multisport mode on it, and the issue only lays with Garmin Connect. It works fine with every other software.

I even pointed out that my previous multisport workouts that have been saved on garmin connect no longer work.

They let me know that they will have a technician look at it.

I am sort of shocked that this issue has been reported to them FOR MONTHS and they still have not been able to resolve the issue. This would be top priority for me as it has a direct negative affect to customer experience. It really should not take more than 2 weeks to go through the list of changes in code from the previous release to the new release that deals with with multisport uploads.

At any rate, I have been disappointed by the whole experience. I have tried other programs, but none of them seem to cut the butter either. I have learned to workout without the watch more often, and I actually decided to do my 70.3 without it.

I'm pretty bummed by the situation and have learned to "unplug" from garmin because of it.

Edited by lifejustice 2013-07-03 10:49 AM
2013-07-04 10:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glad to hear its not just my 305!! Everything worked fine through my last race of 2012, but it all went south on my first race this year. I thought it was just a fluke but my 2nd tri of 2013 wouldn't upload either.

I also noticed that previous races no longer show map routes etc when I know they did before. Not very happy about this at all.
2013-07-05 10:28 AM
in reply to: wbattaile

Thanks for the replies. Garmin customer service had been good in the past (they replaced my swimming watch after 6 months when the crystal broke) but they don't seem to be being so good at this issue.

Anyone else who is having issues with multisport uploads who would like to complain (or even, anyone who has been able to do it successfully in the past month or so)? Otherwise, I will email them again and see if I can get them to pay attention.

To quote Arlo Guthrie's 18-minute classic 'Alice's Restaurant':

".... can you imagine fifty people a day... friends they may thinks it's a movement....

And that's what it is...and all you got to do to join is sing it the next time it come's around on the
guitar.

With feeling."

2013-07-05 1:02 PM
in reply to: Jeff1975

User image

Regular
Kansas
Originally posted by Jeff1975

No, I can't upload multiple workouts to Connect either. Been happening for a couple of months now. I contacted Garmin, did the reset, and the problem still exists.

Yep, same here (Garmin 305 owner too) - it's frustrating to enter everything manually. Although, I am getting really good at it!

2013-07-05 1:35 PM
in reply to: jayhawk_sean

Originally posted by jayhawk_sean

Yep, same here (Garmin 305 owner too) - it's frustrating to enter everything manually. Although, I am getting really good at it!

Say what now? You can enter things manually on Connect?

I know you can edit workouts but I have never noticed a version to manually enter workouts.
2013-07-05 1:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by north_north_west

I know you can edit workouts but I have never noticed a version to manually enter workouts.

Yes, if you go into the activities screen there is a "+" button that allows you to create a manual workout. I use it to log my pool sessions (yardage and time) since I don't have a fancy Garmin that takes care of that automatically.

edit: I also use it occasionally to log a treadmill or exercise bike session at a hotel while traveling. However, that's only if I forget my garmin... I usually use my HR strap and garmin for time, then edit the workout later to add distance when i'm on a treadmill or ex. bike. I suppose I could get a foot pod for treadmill use, but typically try to run outside if at all possible.

Edited by wbattaile 2013-07-05 1:44 PM
2013-07-05 1:51 PM
in reply to: wbattaile

Originally posted by wbattaile

Originally posted by north_north_west

Yes, if you go into the activities screen there is a "+" button that allows you to create a manual workout. I use it to log my pool sessions (yardage and time) since I don't have a fancy Garmin that takes care of that automatically.

edit: I also use it occasionally to log a treadmill or exercise bike session at a hotel while traveling. However, that's only if I forget my garmin... I usually use my HR strap and garmin for time, then edit the workout later to add distance when i'm on a treadmill or ex. bike. I suppose I could get a foot pod for treadmill use, but typically try to run outside if at all possible.

Oh. Cool. Thank you.
2013-07-05 2:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

My 910 has been the same in multisport.  Lost 2 of the last 3 races I've done. 

Perhaps it's one form of insanity, but I keep trying... 

Although I also use my 800 now on the bike portion.

Maybe it's a ploy by them to get people to buy more devices - one for each leg of a tri!

Sorely disappointed, indeed.

Matt

2013-07-05 3:30 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas
I go into the Calendar side of it - click on the date, click "Enter Manually", and then just go down the list. It's relatively simple, but it's way easier to just upload straight from the Garmin too.

I wish Garmin would just put out some kind of an explanation, or at least say they are working to correct the issue.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin 305 not working in multisport mode Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Garmin 305 HR Monitor Not Working

Started by wbattaile
Views: 920 Posts: 4

2013-05-22 12:57 PM wbattaile

Garmin 305 multi sport mode

Started by cbh
Views: 1758 Posts: 8

2012-10-02 10:00 PM powerman

305 Multisport mode...

Started by tigers75
Views: 869 Posts: 5

2011-11-08 1:52 PM mjewen

garmin FR 305 ques - multisport mode

Started by tallvinny
Views: 1167 Posts: 6

2011-09-29 8:08 AM Mc Q

mode button on garmin 305

Started by kevmk81
Views: 909 Posts: 1

2010-04-10 5:51 PM kevmk81
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
The doctor says not to run again. Ever. Needless to say, I’m not taking this very well. Can I recover from this? Where should I go from here?

date : November 12, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
In this review, we put the Garmin Forerunner 405 and the Suunto T6C heart-rate and GPS watches through the wringers.
date : September 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
New products from Athlete 3, Fuji, Garmin, Kestrel, LiveStrong, Reynolds, Scott, Specialized, Shimano and Vision Tech

date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?
date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!

date : May 7, 2008
author : katzchen55
comments : 3
My thanks to the triathlete community for being there when I need you. That’s the beautiful thing about triathletes. None of us are all right, and no one expects anyone else to be.
date : March 26, 2008
author : Team BT
Instructions on how to directly upload routes from your Garmin training device into your training logs.

date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.