General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Dam Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-16 1:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Best Dam Tri
Trying to decide which distance to do - I've got friends/relatives in both. For those that have done it before, what is the bike course like? The website says rollers but that's the only description other than "flat" that I've ever seen in a description so that isn't overly helpful.

If I do the long course it will be my first, and since I am marginally behind on my bike training (have been run focused lately for Bix), I'm not certain that I could be ready for a very hilly ride for my first OLY.

Thanks all!

2013-07-16 3:57 PM
in reply to: CycloneVM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: Best Dam Tri

Originally posted by CycloneVM Trying to decide which distance to do - I've got friends/relatives in both. For those that have done it before, what is the bike course like? The website says rollers but that's the only description other than "flat" that I've ever seen in a description so that isn't overly helpful. If I do the long course it will be my first, and since I am marginally behind on my bike training (have been run focused lately for Bix), I'm not certain that I could be ready for a very hilly ride for my first OLY. Thanks all!

I haven't done this race, but I train on the course regularly.  There are a few tough hills by Iowa standards.  One of the biggest challenges is the 12% grade coming right out of T1.  It might be a tough first oly, but doable if the goal is to finish and not race.

2013-07-18 1:26 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the info, Switch - although that leaves me firmly on the fence LOL

Definitely would be racing to complete, not compete. I'm a swimmer but go ahead and cool down with all of that biking and running stuff
2013-07-18 10:21 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Rumor has it the swim is historically short--my swimmer friends hate that; ) It would be a tough first oly, but totally doable. Are you in Ames? You could come bike the course some weekend and then decide. It won't sell out, so you really could wait until the day before to commit.
2013-07-19 9:38 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Veteran
Actually no, I live in St. Louis now but I am originally from the Quad Cities and much of my family still lives there. My sister and her husband are doing the OLY (we all started TRI together last year at the QC Tri), and we have two friends that are using the sprint at Coralville as their first TRI. Good to know it won't sell out though, that at least gives me time to see how my preparations are going (although I do know the price jump is at the end of this month...will have to think on that). Maybe I'll email the RD and see how they are about changing distances...that would give me the ability to sign up now and figure out distance for sure as I get closer to the actual race.
2013-07-19 10:00 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

That sounds like a good plan.  I don't actually know who the RD is, (I just looked on the website and didn't see an RD listed), but I believe the TriHawks still put on the race, and those guys are cool.

Good luck whatever distance you pick, and I'll see you there!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Dam Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Best place for open water swim in Quad Cities

Started by marplemk1
Views: 1561 Posts: 1

2012-05-10 3:20 PM marplemk1

Dam to Dam : Official Thread

Started by maverick_zh
Views: 1608 Posts: 1

2009-05-26 5:09 AM maverick_zh

TRI BIKES

Started by omaha8
Views: 1898 Posts: 7

2008-07-26 4:39 PM omaha8

DeWitt, IA Crossroads Tri Date

Started by Sprint_DA
Views: 1487 Posts: 4

2008-06-17 2:21 PM Sprint_DA

Whaletown Tri

Started by VeganMan
Views: 1559 Posts: 5

2008-07-21 2:53 PM rreischl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.

date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.
date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.

date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !
date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Team BT
We did really well with the beers, which will explain my reluctance to get out of bed on Saturday morning.