General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Suggestions with new Tri computer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-22 11:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: Suggestions with new Tri computer

So my Garmin 305 Forerunner died last week and I've not replaced it yet.  I've done some research - but thought perhaps the more efficient way was to pull comments from the forum here.  Options I've considered thus far are to:

• get another 305 as it support the tri activities ... well excepting the swim ( I don't do ziplock bags) - albeit the technology is a bit 'dated'
  • get a Garmin 500 or 510 ... my sense says this is mainly for cycling otherwise how do you hold it when running
  • get a cycling app for my iPhone ... again how do you hold it when running

So your thoughts, comments and suggestions on a replacement are very much appreciated.

Edited by Dorm57 2013-07-22 12:00 PM

2013-07-22 12:07 PM
in reply to: 0

, Alabama
Subject: RE: Suggestions with new Tri computer
I would get another Garmin if it were me. But I also use an iPhone app called Strava which logs your cycle and running. You can follow other people on it too and do challenges etc. it also tells you how well you have done on each route compared to others (you don't have to follow them) who have completed the same route. It is also free!

Edited by NMS 2013-07-22 12:08 PM
2013-07-22 12:28 PM
in reply to: NMS

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
Garmin 310XT, unless you want more data from indoor swimming, then the 910XT.

They both can do all three sports, the 910 having the additional capability of counting strokes, and therefore logging distance in the pool without the need for GPS.

Great battery life, they also can accept ant+ signals, so foot pods, heart rate monitor, speed/cadence, etc can all be pulled in.

I found a site, not affiliated with Garmin or Strava, where you can link the accounts, at least send Garmin data to Strava. www.garminsync.com

I'm not affiliated with them either; without this site, you can still upload Garmin data to Strava, it's just manual. This way it all goes up there.

2013-07-22 5:50 PM
in reply to: tcj103

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Should the HR strap I have for the 305 also work on the 310xt ?
2013-07-22 6:47 PM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

Great subject , I wear a 405cx now, and use my iphone too. Strave, MapmyRide, and others. I am a ap junkie. for the iphone I wear a runners belt, mainly to hold my bib, but then my iphone and a couple packs of Gu.

A lot of riders in my cycle club use the 500 series bike computer, and a couple will run with a jersey on, and the safely tucked in there. They like it. Our leader swears by the 900 series watch and could not believe I do tris without them. I was a runner first, then a swimmer, then a cyclist. (money talks).

My research tells me to go big or go home, and get a 900 series. I am constantly watching ebay and craigslist for a good deal.

John

2013-07-22 7:16 PM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

I am new to triathlon, and I love my Garmin 910xt. I also had a Garmin 305 before (and a cheap Timex for swimming). A 310xt would have been almost as good, but I will admit I simply like the look and feel of the 910xt better (and it does have the swim metrics). The old HR strap will work with either.

I have occasionally used my iPhone, but it's not optimal because of battery issues. On long runs and rides I would worry about draining the battery too quickly.

The Garmin 500 and 800 series are cycling computers, which you can use for running if you want to put them in your pocket. But that isn't optimal either. Most people who have those for cycling use something else for running.

2013-07-23 12:42 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

The 500 is nice for cycling. However there is a watch band that you can get through garmin that allows you to wear it on your wrist. That is what I have. The only problem is you have to gauge by your speed what kind of pace you are running because it does not tell you like other running specific watches. I am very new to the tri game and am contemplating whether or not its worth it to upgrade to the 305 or the 910, i would love something that tells my how far i am swimming because i am always losing track of it while i am focusing on stroke and breathing!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Suggestions with new Tri computer Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Need a new bike computer

Started by benatkins33
Views: 482 Posts: 2

2012-07-23 12:15 PM tri808

Suggestions for Computer

Started by manbearpig
Views: 597 Posts: 7

2012-05-28 7:35 AM tkos

Cadence computer v. non cadence computer for trainer

Started by gti123
Views: 1641 Posts: 13

2011-10-27 7:57 AM jsnowash

Bike computer all jacked up.....any suggestions.

Started by Garceau
Views: 991 Posts: 8

2009-06-09 9:38 AM SevenZulu

New Bike Computer

Started by evrunning
Views: 722 Posts: 9

2004-05-19 12:36 PM evrunning
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.