General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thinking of doing Chicago Tri - never done before Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-09 10:42 PM

Subject: Thinking of doing Chicago Tri - never done before
Hello everyone,

I am a total newbie here, and new to triathlons as well. I've done my share of 5-10k races, a few half marthons, and Chicago Marathon the past 4 years (including this year coming up). Aside from the running, I do p90X religiously as well...just for background

At lunch with a few friends today one of them mentioned he's doing the upcoming Chicago Tri and said I should give it a go. The run/bike portion do not intimidate me, but the swim does. Don't get me wrong, I am a serviceable swimmer but not having done a tri before, nor the 1.5k distance I'm not sure it's a good idea to sign up. Thoughts???

If it sounds like a decent idea, is/are there any gear considered must haves? Do I need a specific bike, or handle-bars, wet-suit, etc?

Thanks.....and I won't be offended if anyone thinks I'm a moron for even considering this without proper tri specific training.

2013-08-10 11:50 AM
in reply to: geekrutherford

User image

Regular
Chicago
Subject: RE: Thinking of doing Chicago Tri - never done before

It looks like you can still sign up for the sprint and super sprint (the Olympic is sold out).

In m opinion, I don't think you should sign up for the sprint. If this is your first tri (and it's 2 weeks away), being a "serviceable" swimmer is not enough for this race. Because the race is so large, your swim wave will be pretty crowded and the washing machine effect (bumping, grabbing, etc.) will be strong.

If you really want to do it, the super sprint might be OK, and I say that because it takes place at Foster beach and you can walk a good portion of that swim. And for the super sprint, you don't need any gear, just use what you have.

2013-08-10 6:58 PM

User image

come out to the open swim they have on 8/20 at Ohio Beach and see how you do on the swim,then go from there.

I hear the Chicago Tri is crazy packed, but hear the sprint isn't so bad.

Lifetimes Fitness Tri puts on that open swim on 8/20... it's a pretty good deal and you get to rent a weatsuit for $5.00, not bad.
2013-08-10 8:46 PM

I completed the super sprint last year and it was my first tri. I will be doing it again this year. A good portion of the swim was running into and out of the water and I could touch throughout the whole swim leg. The bike and run lengths are so short on this that I felt like It was a great introductory race for me. I know nothing about the sprint race. I thought about doing it this year but I didn't spend enough time training for the swim and a friend wanted to do the super sprint so I figured I would join them. at last years race the water temp was 73 and it was okay. I remember thinking it was about the threshold of where I wouldn't want to go any colder without a wetsuit. I did not wear one last year. The last time I checked water temps it was around 72 so I'm going to go without a wetsuit again this year.

On a side note, does anyone know if the montrose beach is deeper this year with the increased rainfall?
2013-08-10 9:19 PM
in reply to: MrClyde

User image

I don't know about Montrose, but Ohio... you can touch the bottom out to the first buoy which I believe is 1/4 mile. Between the 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile buoy, you cannot touch bottom. That's as far as the buoy's go out I believe for the swim line on Ohio Beach.
2013-08-14 10:04 AM

User image

Chicago, IL
The only point of concern for either doing the Sprint or Super Sprint would be the swim.

The bike and run shouldn't present too much of an issue, since it sounds like you have a solid base and plenty of running experience.
NOTE: I would recommend doing at least 2-3 brick workouts (bike, immediately followed by a run) to get used to the sensation. During my first tri, I hadn't done any bricks, and was caught by surprise by my jelly-legs. I thought I would have to walk the whole run leg.

As for the swim - get down to Ohio St beach (maybe not today, crazy waves). You can safely touch the bottom the whole way to Chicago Ave (1/4 mile buoy), and you can even touch until at least those orange posts attached the lake wall between Chicago and Oak St (say 1/3 of a mile).

It'll take you a few swims to get comfortable and acclimated to OWS (very different from swimming in a pool). Being able to touch the bottom will be a huge confidence booster, and will allow you to focus on other aspects of your swim while staying calm. If you find you're an OWS natural, and can complete a 1/2 mile (beach to Chicago and back) without too much issue, perhaps you could consider the Sprint.

I completed the Chicago Oly last year, and at no point during the swim in Monroe Harbor can you touch the bottom. I saw a TON of people freaking out and clnging to the wall/buoys/kayaks in the first 500m of the swim. I also DNF'd my 1st ever triathlon attempt because I wasn't prepared for the swim, so don't make the same mistake I did.

Good luck!

2013-08-14 11:01 AM
in reply to: pmtaylor621

User image

Veteran
Illinois
A wetsuit is a huge confidence booster as well, but there is a bit of adaptation involved, since they do constrict they chest a lot. My first OWS and wetsuit swim were largely adjustment swims, and getting used to the new conditions. The OWS is probably the biggest barrier to triathlon, since there is really no stopping or coasting involved.

If your first OWS is going to be the event itself, then don't do it - and I hate to discourage people. The water is dark and murky, visibility is less than 3 feet, and it's a mass start, so it is going to be chaos.

They are also doing an OWS clinic on 8/20/13. I went in July, and it was really beneficial, and only $5. If you get there early, you should be able to rent a wetsuit as well.
2013-08-14 11:44 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

A wetsuit is a huge confidence booster as well, but there is a bit of adaptation involved, since they do constrict they chest a lot. My first OWS and wetsuit swim were largely adjustment swims, and getting used to the new conditions. The OWS is probably the biggest barrier to triathlon, since there is really no stopping or coasting involved.

If your first OWS is going to be the event itself, then don't do it - and I hate to discourage people. The water is dark and murky, visibility is less than 3 feet, and it's a mass start, so it is going to be chaos.

They are also doing an OWS clinic on 8/20/13. I went in July, and it was really beneficial, and only $5. If you get there early, you should be able to rent a wetsuit as well.

So the Chicago Triathlon 2006 was my second Olympic distance tri and my ... fourth triathlon overall, and only my second open water swim.

After getting bloodied due to an elbow to the face and then held under water by some dude who was sure he was going to drown and figured I made a nice flotation device, I figured a few more open water swims probably would've been a good idea. I managed to finish that swim by some miracle and was sure for weeks the open wound would fester into some sort of alien-like appendage, but it still hasn't. The point is, using the Chicago Triathlon as your first OWS isn't smart -- take it from someone who knows. Second, this triathlon is crazy crowded on the bike, like CRAZY. So maybe some experience before you jump into the world's second-biggest triathlon would be wise. Trust me, I know from experience that this one isn't the best tri for beginners.
2013-08-14 11:49 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by geekrutherford

Hello everyone,

I am a total newbie here, and new to triathlons as well. I've done my share of 5-10k races, a few half marthons, and Chicago Marathon the past 4 years (including this year coming up). Aside from the running, I do p90X religiously as well...just for background

At lunch with a few friends today one of them mentioned he's doing the upcoming Chicago Tri and said I should give it a go. The run/bike portion do not intimidate me, but the swim does. Don't get me wrong, I am a serviceable swimmer but not having done a tri before, nor the 1.5k distance I'm not sure it's a good idea to sign up. Thoughts???

If it sounds like a decent idea, is/are there any gear considered must haves? Do I need a specific bike, or handle-bars, wet-suit, etc?

Thanks.....and I won't be offended if anyone thinks I'm a moron for even considering this without proper tri specific training.

If you REALLY want to do a triathlon this year, check out one of the smaller ones later in September. Don't do Chicago. Also, as people have mentioned, get to some of the swim clinics at Ohio Street Beach and talk to people in person about how to set up a transition area and be sure, and this is the most important thing, how to avoid other people on the bike.
2013-08-14 1:48 PM
in reply to: pmtaylor621

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
If you can get through the swim you can get through the race. Especially if your doing the sprint.

I did my first tri mostly on my back. It took an hour for .5 miles swim ut it can be done. I was completely exhausted by the time I hit shore and well my finishing time was horrible but I did it. I trained for like 4 weeks after and I took 1 hour off my finishing time because my swim endurance went way up.
2013-08-14 3:08 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by chirunner134

If you can get through the swim you can get through the race. Especially if your doing the sprint.

I did my first tri mostly on my back. It took an hour for .5 miles swim ut it can be done. I was completely exhausted by the time I hit shore and well my finishing time was horrible but I did it. I trained for like 4 weeks after and I took 1 hour off my finishing time because my swim endurance went way up.

Haha that sounds like a good reason NOT to do it.

2013-09-08 11:52 AM
in reply to: tarmac52

User image

The swim isn't bad at all. In fact I find it the most relaxing and rhythmic once you get beyond the few first hundred yards of scrum jockeying for a position.

I did the open water swim clinics at Ohio St. put on by LifeTime and they are WELL worth it. You don't have to do their clinics but at least go to Ohio St. during the summer or really anywhere in the open water along a coast at least a few times in order to get the hang of sustained open water swimming.

I suggest this so strongly that I think its more important then even purchasing a wetsuit. Also if you have foot issues (planter fasciitis like myself) bring an extra pair of old running shoes to put on near the swim exit. I did and I think they helped a LOT in saving my feet and getting to the long trail that it takes to get to the bike transition.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thinking of doing Chicago Tri - never done before Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Anybody doing/has done Pigman 70.3 in Iowa?

Started by Paulford8
Views: 1455 Posts: 5

2013-08-11 7:23 PM Paulford8

Anyone from Chicago doing Xterra this year?

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 620 Posts: 1

2012-04-07 10:32 AM tzcoaching

Anyone Doing Mattoon YMCA Last Chance Tri?

Started by 4mebobpandtay
Views: 1765 Posts: 9

2009-11-01 10:03 AM 4mebobpandtay

so who's doing Chicago marathon this year? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by pigfinn
Views: 3959 Posts: 54

2009-04-09 4:19 PM Decatur217

Who's doing what Tri's this year?

Started by hangloose
Views: 2046 Posts: 24

2006-03-08 5:13 PM McFuzz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.