General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A rant: When business mixes with pleasure (ie triathlon) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-23 2:17 PM

User image

New user

Subject: A rant: When business mixes with pleasure (ie triathlon)
So I found out on Friday that I leave August 6 for my first business trip with this company. Coincidentally, my first Olymic Tri is on August 6. That's right, the SAME DAY. I accept full responsibilty for not telling my boss I was racing that day when I first started, but I'd already requested a day off for Hood to Coast, so I didn't want to push it. Besides, what were the odds they would book me for a trip that day, on a SUNDAY no less?

That being said, I race at 9, hopefully finish up by around 12, and fly out at 4:30 (arrive at the airport, fortunately nearby, at 3). It can be done, but I am REALLY sad I won't get to celebrate my accomplishment with my friends. I've been working for months--maybe even more--toward this. My boyfriend is also racing, as well as a couple of people from my swim team. Me being the emotional, sentimental type, not being able to bask in the glory of my success over microbrews with friends hit hard.

My plan is this: to celebrate immediately after (keeping the imbibing to a minimum, both for hydration purposes and to not sick out the person next to me on the plane), and to plan a get-together with my fellow athletes the following weekend.

Whew, just had to get that off my chest. Anyone else ever have the same problem, or am I the only one dumb enough to not schedule time off in advance? Any tips for my insane day?

Thanks,
Meg

2006-07-23 2:32 PM
in reply to: #490371

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: A rant: When business mixes with pleasure (ie triathlon)
Meg, you are fortunate to have so many people to celelbrate with. I've done several events and gone to work directly afterwards, or driven home several hours. Only once have I been able to celebrate that night with dinner with someone who did the same race. Just plan on celebrating when you get back.
2006-07-23 2:35 PM

User image

New user

Oh, okay. So I'm not alone! I guess I have been spoiled ...

Thanks!
2006-07-23 3:12 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
We had a 4 hour drive back home after my OLY (thankfully, my wife did the driving) and I was leaving the next day for a week of Boy Scout summer camp.

Luckily, I felt pretty good after the race.

Drink plenty of water before you get on the plane. Do some stretching before you board, so you can still move when you get to your destination.
2006-07-23 9:12 PM
in reply to: #490387

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
AdventureBear - 2006-07-23 2:32 PM

Meg, you are fortunate to have so many people to celelbrate with. I've done several events and gone to work directly afterwards, or driven home several hours. Only once have I been able to celebrate that night with dinner with someone who did the same race. Just plan on celebrating when you get back.

Exactly! I only get to celebrate with my boyfriend. And if he didn't take the day off to watch, I would have NO ONE to celebrate with.

Be happy that you get to do the race... and maybe take a cooler with some beers for a post-race toast.

Thank goodness you don't have to cancel the race and lose your money.

Good luck! Have fun! And, celebrating when you get back will be fun.

2006-07-25 7:58 PM
in reply to: #490639

User image

New user

Thanks! That was nice. BTW I have the same TYR top as you have on in your pic ... Haha.

2006-07-25 10:48 PM
in reply to: #490639

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-07-26 12:14 AM

Master
Shreveport, LA
I am going to miss my only tri of the year this year.

I didn't have the money to sign for a bunch of races, so I saved for the biggest one around here, but what should happen that we have a job where I will be out of town on race day.

The company asked one guy to cancel his vacation (reimbursed him for all his prepaid expenses). They will reimburse me my $90 in fees, but I won't get to race or meet up with my BT friends for dinner.

I guess that is one of the disadvantages of working in a small company in the industry that I do.

The good news is that I get to meet new BTers (TH3_FRB (Joel) and Marvarnett (Dan)) on my trip.

Edited by mnewton 2006-07-26 12:15 AM
2006-07-26 12:16 AM
in reply to: #493278

New user

Awww, that sucks! Man, I am starting to feel like a b*tch for complaining. Thanks for putting it in perspective.
I have been in the same boat, financially, so this is my only tri this year. I know I'd be pretty upset if I didn't get to do it at all!
Have fun with the fellow BTers ...

Meg
2006-07-26 12:22 AM

Mesa
Remember you must have a Guinness near the finish line. It helps drive you on and cuts time off your race. You will finish many minutes faster because of the power of "Guinness drive."

That will allow you more time to hang with your friends and to get to the airport.

Remember "Guinness drive" kicks in about 3/4 of a mile into the run as you get your running legs going.
2006-07-26 12:51 AM

Veteran
Kansas

Wear shorts or a sleeveless shirt on the plane, then before it's over, the whole plane will be celebrating with you. 

Orrr... they'll think you escaped from prison, or you could play them & tell them your part of some secret gov't experiment.

Naaa, skip the 2nd part, years ago that would have been ok, but not nowdays.

2006-07-26 8:15 AM

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
At least you can get the race in before your trip. You should be able to get a good rest once you are on the plane.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A rant: When business mixes with pleasure (ie triathlon) Rss Feed