General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Accident - Big River Regional Trail in Mendota Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-18 12:13 PM

St. Paul, Minnesota
Subject: Bike Accident - Big River Regional Trail in Mendota
Is it possible to get reimbursement for a bike accident with another cyclist. If so, does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this. Many thanks in advance for reading.

I was biking south yesterday on the Big River Regional Trail in Mendota (heading south right under the Mendota bridge) when a cyclist ahead of me decides to do what appears to be a U-turn, but instead he dose a 360 coming back into the south bound lane. Not once did this person ( I have a few other choice words for him) looked up to see if there was oncoming traffic and cut right in front of me. BAM!!!

The ambulance and police were called and I was taken to the ER. I have a separated shoulder, road rash, a banged up new bike and future finical losses. The biggest disappointment is that more than likely I will be unable to participate in my first IM in three weeks in WI.

Needless to say I'm going through the different stages of loss; anger, isolation, depression etc. I'm not a vengeful person, but I would like to have my medical bills and IM Founders Registration Fee reimbursed as well as my bike fixed. Oh, and it sucks typing with one hand but I'm thankful the other one will be useful in the near future.

2013-08-18 12:54 PM
in reply to: hippt

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Subject: RE: Bike Accident - Big River Regional Trail in Mendota
That sounds awful!

Do you know the name or contact info of the person who ran into you? Was a police report filed? I would call your home owner/car insurance and see what they say. Otherwise contact the other person. They were clearly at fault (from your description). See what they say. Of they are unreceptive get a lawyer.

Not to be cynical, but you never know how injuries can linger or pop up. When the main injury heals and you get moving again you might notice other issues.

Good luck! Keep us informed of how it goes, please
2013-08-18 3:46 PM
in reply to: peteweb55403

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Oh man, sorry!  An injury is bad enough, but what a bummer before a big race!

I agree, I would try to contact them first and if they aren't helpful I would then try a lawyer.   I think you can absolutely pursue this in civil court, it just depends on how much effort, time and money you want to put into it.   Document everything.

Good luck for fast healing!

2013-08-19 9:20 AM
in reply to: peteweb55403

St. Paul, Minnesota
Thanks for the advice. A police report was filed, but the officer would not give my wife the name of person. I presume it has to be in report? The good thing is that when the cop asked me what happened, he said that is how the other person explained it. Thank goodness. I will heed your advice and appreciate you taking the time to read. I was just a miserable SOB and needed to vent. Time to get my sorry but going and see if I can rehab this in time.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Accident - Big River Regional Trail in Mendota Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike choice for Lrt trails

Started by Hazelmn
Views: 1556 Posts: 8

2012-08-13 10:41 AM BikerGrrrl

speed limit on bike trails?

Started by peteweb55403
Views: 4779 Posts: 19

2011-06-23 2:39 PM abrogatinged

Duluth Area residents: bike trail question

Started by BikerGrrrl
Views: 1294 Posts: 2

2009-08-31 11:27 AM BikerGrrrl

Narrowly missed an accident on the path...

Started by BikerGrrrl
Views: 2874 Posts: 23

2009-09-11 6:05 AM leapdog

Road / Tri Bikes on West Metro LRT Trails?

Started by Hazelmn
Views: 784 Posts: 3

2007-06-14 10:59 AM Matchman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 15, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Recipes for Oatmeal Pancakes, Carrot Apple Muffins, Sugar and Spice Pecans and Crunchy Trail Mix

date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?
date : October 29, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.

date : April 5, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on river swims, speedsuits, road bike at IMKY, FOP IM pointers, saddle positioning, run8/walk2 method, treadmill to outside running, heelstriking and HRM on race day.
date : April 2, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on muscular endurance training, transitioning between distances, big hill training and bricks.

date : January 1, 2006
author : browncd
comments : 1
Trials on getting a bike that fits while also being reliable
date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?

date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.