Other Resources Challenge Me! » September Running Challenge! Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2013-08-28 2:33 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Subject: RE: September Running Challenge!
Originally posted by switch

5.8 today--hills (speed? strength?) ummmm. Salty?  What was my purpose? 

I'm kinda joking here, but not really.  I know the idea is to have a purpose outlined going into the run, so I kinda biffed on this one.

Couple slow miles, couple at tempo, cool down, but the whole thing was on hills in some serious H&H, so I'm gonna guess this was some good tempo/LT work? 

I'm gonna read JD, I swear.  Gonna order it tonight.  Begging forgiveness...

Hills are strength. 

2013-08-28 2:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

5.8 today--hills (speed? strength?) ummmm. Salty?  What was my purpose? 

I'm kinda joking here, but not really.  I know the idea is to have a purpose outlined going into the run, so I kinda biffed on this one.

Couple slow miles, couple at tempo, cool down, but the whole thing was on hills in some serious H&H, so I'm gonna guess this was some good tempo/LT work? 

I'm gonna read JD, I swear.  Gonna order it tonight.  Begging forgiveness...

That's right, beg away.

It's better to define this kind of thing before you go into the workout Smile BUT since you asked begged, hills are most definitely strength. Also the nice thing about them is that your pace may be slower but you are getting the same (or more) training stresses as though you were running faster. You could call this strength/tempo (were you running close to LT?)

Lots of runners/coaches integrate hill intervals regularly in the place of (instead of, even) regular track intervals because they are easier on your body.

Obviously you weren't doing intervals so that comment isn't relevant to you ... I apologize for the tangent.  

And I am saying this stuff because you asked. A lot of this crap is a little high level and for those of you that think so, just know you can get a hellufa long way "just running." 

Edited by Asalzwed 2013-08-28 2:41 PM
2013-08-28 2:59 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Thanks Matt and Salty :)

For the two "fast" miles I was close to LT, though, I should probably retest my running LT sometime in the not-so-distant future.

So for a run to be a hill workout, how do you define that--some combo of number of hills, distance and grade?  Percent of the run that's hilly v flat?

2013-08-28 3:11 PM

User image

Seattle

Thanks Matt and Salty

For the two "fast" miles I was close to LT, though, I should probably retest my running LT sometime in the not-so-distant future.

So for a run to be a hill workout, how do you define that--some combo of number of hills, distance and grade?  Percent of the run that's hilly v flat?

You can plug in a recent race and get a ballpark for LT.

I think that part is pretty subjective. And I also think it goes back to the purpose of your workout. A route could, and here in Seattle, is more often than not "hilly" but if I am not tackling those hills specifically as a hill workout I would just call it a (insert workout purpose here) workout that happens to have some elevation gain. Or even a combo.

Even within a specific "hill workout" there is going to be plenty of variety. I have done everything from hill repeats: 30 second-ish hills (ON GRAVEL mind you) jogging back down for recovery 

to our recent workout, The Madrona hills: an approximate 2 mile hill 45 seconds slower than LT, EZ back down x 3  

2013-08-28 3:26 PM

User image

Regular
Maynard, MA
I'm In!

Just coming off my first IM and need a goal for September. I also want to start to work on my speed for next year and get to sub 8 min mile for HM.
2013-08-28 3:38 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Thanks Matt and Salty

In my mind there are two types of hill workouts.  The first is what I used to do when running track and cross country.  A couple of easy miles to warm up and then sets on a hill that is fairly steep and a block or two long.  Very similar to a track speedwork out.  Hit the hill hard, jog back down, and repeat prescribed number of times.  We usually did 8-10 reps.   Followed by a short cool down run.

The other which is a little less structured and is more like a lighter tempo workout on hilly terrain like a trail.  Focus on intensity on the hills and something more than a jog to the next one.  I am much more inclined to do this type of workout as we have some great trails that are like roller coasters.

Doesn't really matter number, distance, grade, just that the focus is strength building on some kind of incline.  You can even do this on a treadmill with elevation gain.

2013-08-28 4:45 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by popsracer

Thanks Matt and Salty :)

In my mind there are two types of hill workouts.  The first is what I used to do when running track and cross country.  A couple of easy miles to warm up and then sets on a hill that is fairly steep and a block or two long.  Very similar to a track speedwork out.  Hit the hill hard, jog back down, and repeat prescribed number of times.  We usually did 8-10 reps.   Followed by a short cool down run.

The other which is a little less structured and is more like a lighter tempo workout on hilly terrain like a trail.  Focus on intensity on the hills and something more than a jog to the next one.  I am much more inclined to do this type of workout as we have some great trails that are like roller coasters.

Doesn't really matter number, distance, grade, just that the focus is strength building on some kind of incline.  You can even do this on a treadmill with elevation gain.

Cool.  thanks Steve.  And thanks for your additional explanation Salty.

So, technique question: if you're racing a hilly course, say Boston, what is your approach on the hills, do you try to maintain an even pace throughout, keep HR at a certain place and ease off going uphill a bit? Other approaches?

2013-08-28 5:22 PM

User image

Seattle

I don't know if you are asking me or not, but I will answer anyhoo.

First off, I don't use HR or watch so my pace is all by feel anyway.

When we talk about hills, I feel we need to talk about up and down independently. And maybe even specific to each course. Assuming we are talking about Boston:

Generally speaking, a consistent effort (not pace, due to hills) is the best way to tackle it.

Down: Downhills kill your legs in a really unique and kind of sneaky way. The first 13-ish miles of Boston are downhill, the first few miles being pretty steep, actually. Going really, really painfully "slow" is a great idea. It's the time to practice patience (this is going to be the hardest part ...for certain people) and not get caught up in the beginning of the race hype. You are naturally going to be running a little faster than your "pace" just because of the downhill but you don't want to charge it. It's a fine line between letting gravity taking you, and not resisting it and going TOO fast. This is why it's REALLY important to practice this in your training runs. Technique wise, keeping your arms low so that your knees don't come up, keeping your feet close to the ground and not over striding(being sure your feet are landing under you and not braking with your heel) are all really important things to keep in mind. Bottom line, keep your pace in check and effort very, very easy.

Down: Now the uphill you definitely want to run at the same effort but that means it's going to be a little slower than it would be in the flats. I generally increase turnover and "spin" up the hill rather than muscle my way up. Think of the way you would do a steep climb on a bike. Once you approach the crest of the hill, turn it up a bit and build some momentum to carry you over. In the case of Boston, rinse and repeat ... like 4 times Smile

Edited by Asalzwed 2013-08-28 5:33 PM
2013-08-28 8:22 PM

User image

New user
I would like to do this challenge.

I did a 70" run today and I focused on what my arms were doing. I am very new to running, about six months into it so I have tons to learn I know. I was reading about form and decided to pay attention to my arms and hands.

I stayed relaxed throughout, tried to convince myself my arms were helping propel me along. Towards the end I imagined large rubber bands boinging my legs along as I swung my arms.

So, today was 'what are my arms doing' run.

Thanks for the challenge!

Mary
2013-08-28 8:36 PM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
I ain't starting until September.

I don't want to overload myself with things yet. I'm still running every day. Yesterday was a recovery run. Today was a bike run brick. I failed pretty miserably at it, which tells me I need to back off just a little bit as I have one more tri next Thursday afternoon (who doesn't love a Thursday afternoon race?!?).

Okay, so I guess I started already.
2013-08-28 10:52 PM

User image

Seattle
Ok, elaborating on tonight's workout. Most of the team is prepping for a big HM this weekend and the workout was 4.5 miles @ HM pace, 4 minutes rest then 3 x 800 with 2 minute recovery between. I'm coming off a break so coach had me take it easy for the tempo and step it up for the 800s if I wanted. I clocked 3:06, 3:06, 3:04. Onward and upward!

Edited by Asalzwed 2013-08-28 10:53 PM

2013-08-29 12:21 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Asalzwed Ok, elaborating on tonight's workout. Most of the team is prepping for a big HM this weekend and the workout was 4.5 miles @ HM pace, 4 minutes rest then 3 x 800 with 2 minute recovery between. I'm coming off a break so coach had me take it easy for the tempo and step it up for the 800s if I wanted. I clocked 3:06, 3:06, 3:04. Onward and upward!

That's smokin' fast.  Nice work.

I did 6 miles at HM pace yesterday which was a fail.  My purpose was more of a longer recovery run to ease back into things after killing myself last weekend.  I felt really strong and totally pulled myself out of planned workout.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.  Now my knee aches.  I'm hoping it's just an old man thing and I'll be fine tomorrow.  I think my mental challenge is going to be to stay with the purpose of the run at hand.  To often I get carried away and risk compromising subsequent workouts. 

2013-08-29 3:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Is it too late to join in?

I wont start til Sunday and the purpose for most of my runs will be base building, with the odd try and wear the dogs out purpose thrown in. I have a tendancy to skip as many runs as I can and I am hoping that this might get me a bit more motivated to do them.

Edited by StaceyK 2013-08-29 3:34 AM
2013-08-29 3:31 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by msteiner

I'm in the middle of a recovery week between my last tri and marathon training.  Today there's a pub run, however, so I'm going to run it at an easy pace.

Distance: 4 miles

Goal: Never once say or think "man this is tough"

Are you sure your purpose isnt BEER?
2013-08-29 11:50 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by StaceyK Is it too late to join in? I wont start til Sunday and the purpose for most of my runs will be base building, with the odd try and wear the dogs out purpose thrown in. I have a tendancy to skip as many runs as I can and I am hoping that this might get me a bit more motivated to do them.

Ha! You funny. August isn't even over yet. Of course it's not too late. Come on in! 

2013-08-29 11:54 AM

User image

Seattle

9.8 Miles, EZ

Purpose: Shake out the residual soreness from last night's workout until it transforms to euphoria Smile I didn't even notice it was raining. Well, until a semi drove through a puddle and BLASTED me. 

2013-08-29 4:26 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Asalzwed Ok, elaborating on tonight's workout. Most of the team is prepping for a big HM this weekend and the workout was 4.5 miles @ HM pace, 4 minutes rest then 3 x 800 with 2 minute recovery between. I'm coming off a break so coach had me take it easy for the tempo and step it up for the 800s if I wanted. I clocked 3:06, 3:06, 3:04. Onward and upward!

That's smokin' fast.  Nice work.

I did 6 miles at HM pace yesterday which was a fail.  My purpose was more of a longer recovery run to ease back into things after killing myself last weekend.  I felt really strong and totally pulled myself out of planned workout.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.  Now my knee aches.  I'm hoping it's just an old man thing and I'll be fine tomorrow.  I think my mental challenge is going to be to stay with the purpose of the run at hand.  To often I get carried away and risk compromising subsequent workouts. 

This is a huge part of why I presented this challenge. It's all abou the bigger picture. You should just do some "remove your ego" runs every now and again. Make it a goal to get passed by as many people as possible.

2013-08-29 5:02 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Today I'm doing a double.

Run 1: 5.63 miles

Purpose: General Aerobic, focusing on low arms on the downhills and not over striding. Strides at the end

Run 2: 6 miles hills

Purpose: Strength

These are great examples of things to think about or consider on our running purposes going into September.  Thanks for paving the way for us.

I think my challenge is going to be to run five days a week and 120 miles for the month.  I'm averaging a little over a 100 per month this year so pretty doable.  Along with a stated purpose or focus for each run I'm going to shoot for running drills once a week.  Wow, running drills and core.  What's next, stretching?? Healthy food?? {shudder, shudder}

Let's not go off the deep end here, dude.

2013-08-29 10:23 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

New user
2.7 run tonight. end of the work day, dog obedience training for two hours. Then gym so purpose just to get a short run in and get my HR up for a bit. I felt so good for the last half mile that I tried speeding up some. I felt good through that. I don't run with any electronic devices yet so this is just through feel.
2013-08-29 10:35 PM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Tonight was a rerack of my run the other day.  Same 6 miles, same purpose of nice and easy but this time I held to the prescribed pace and was right on.  Knee feels great and I'm setup for a good workout tomorrow.
2013-08-29 11:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Tonight was a rerack of my run the other day.  Same 6 miles, same purpose of nice and easy but this time I held to the prescribed pace and was right on.  Knee feels great and I'm setup for a good workout tomorrow.
Great job holding yourself in check

2013-08-30 6:30 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Regular
LHOTP

3.3 yesterday.  Purpose: Let as many people pass me as possible.  I ran on a gravel road at 8:30 and didn't see anyone, so that went well;)

Headed out now for 20 before it gets too crazy hot.  Course is hilly, but beautiful.  Purpose: base building, nice and easy.

2013-08-30 12:09 PM

User image

Seattle

6 miles recovery

Purpose: You guessed it! Recovery! Trying to stay light on my feet. Also trying to not break a sweat until at least 4 miles in. I've been getting some looks on the elevator at work since I've been run commuting. Think I'm gonna have to start taking the emergency stairs...

2013-08-30 1:01 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Nice little brick today.  60 minutes hard on the trainer followed by 4 mile run.

Purpose of the run was to focus on getting my legs back through the first mile and then settle into a medium-hard effort.

First half mile I focused on using my upper body strength to drive my legs as they loosened up.

The rest of the run I focused on running smooth.  I like to pretend I'm Craig Alexander when I run off the bike.  He has incredible running form. 

2013-08-30 2:29 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
I'll be starting Sunday (Sept 1) with a 5k race with DS1. My purpose will be to pace him and to enjoy the last race of our summer running series together.
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » September Running Challenge! Rss Feed  

of 22

RELATED POSTS

Ephs Team Thread (September Run Challenge) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by WaterDog66
Views: 11751 Posts: 195

2008-10-06 7:44 PM Parkerr815

September - Swim and Bike challenge for Fall Tri's Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by Donto
Views: 17938 Posts: 281

2007-10-08 7:24 AM lastcall2003

September Swim-Bike challenge?

Started by Donto
Views: 2482 Posts: 24

2007-09-01 11:44 AM D001

September challenge anyone ??????????? Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by shawn barr
Views: 9258 Posts: 136

2006-09-09 7:38 AM ott13979

Mid September challenge?

Started by agaliza
Views: 1357 Posts: 5

2005-09-24 8:57 AM Andrea
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 14, 2008
author : dr_forbush
comments : 0
In addition to writing your race number on each upper arm, they also wrote your age on your calf. This allowed me to see who was passing me by in the bike section of this race.

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : January 7, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 4
We were all there once, a beginner. Time to take the challenge and help a beginner triathlete!
date : January 29, 2006
author : lv2teach
comments : 1
It’s a challenge to push yourself a little harder and a little further. Be proud of every workout that is accomplished and every step-even the baby ones-that you take on this course to the finishline.

date : November 27, 2005
author : AMSSM
Try to view your injury as another athletic challenge and an opportunity for personal learning and growth. Identify the skills that help you succeed as an athlete.
date : September 3, 2005
author : infosteward
The Boulder Peak bike course is legendary. It is, literally and named as such, one of the toughest bike legs in the country.

date : August 31, 2004
WAYNESVILLE, Ohio (August 22, 2004) Professional triathlete Felipe Bastos (BRA/USA) took another trip to Ohio this weekend...