General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Bike prices opinions wanted? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-04 4:56 PM

Subject: New Bike prices opinions wanted?
So I've been fitted onto a Shiv Medium or a Cannondale Slice 56cm (not R/S). $1600 to get into a Slice 105, $3000 to get into a Shiv Rival.

So the straight forward question: is the Shiv frame so much faster than the Slice (older frame design) that it's worth the difference? I prefer the look of the Shiv, not sure I would use the 'fuel-slage' or not, but my way of thinking is that I can get a Slice, a set of decent race wheels, new shoes and pedals, and maybe still have a bit left over for the same price as the Shiv off the rack.

I'm not a podium contender, not sure I'll ever be, but want to be respectably fast. Just looking for the right bike at the right value.

2013-09-04 5:23 PM
in reply to: Chokebait

User image

Subject: RE: New Bike prices opinions wanted?

First of all you should know that you're comparing a discounted slice to a MSRP Shiv.  The MSRP of the Slice is $2450.  So if you're comparing how good a bike is based on it's price...no...the Shiv is not $1400 "better" than the Slice...it's just that deals can be had for that bike where they are harder to come by for the Shiv.

As for which bike you should actually get...I know for most people it's not as simple as looking at value.  It's pretty obvious that the Slice will allow you to buy a lot of other stuff and still cap out at $3k, but sometimes it's best to just ignore price and get the bike you really want.

2013-09-04 5:55 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Originally posted by Jason N

First of all you should know that you're comparing a discounted slice to a MSRP Shiv.  The MSRP of the Slice is $2450.  So if you're comparing how good a bike is based on it's price...no...the Shiv is not $1400 "better" than the Slice...it's just that deals can be had for that bike where they are harder to come by for the Shiv.

As for which bike you should actually get...I know for most people it's not as simple as looking at value.  It's pretty obvious that the Slice will allow you to buy a lot of other stuff and still cap out at $3k, but sometimes it's best to just ignore price and get the bike you really want.

Fully aware of the price points.

I'm looking at two different shops that have 2012 Slice's on the rack for $1600, and the Shiv is a 2013 just got knocked down to $2950 since the new 2014's come out in Nov. The Shiv Comp actually MSRP's at $3300, so they're both discounted prices. Haven't found a shop that's less than $2800 on a Shiv yet, and none close enough to make me drive that far over $150-200 price difference from my local shop.

To the point about ignoring the price and getting the bike you really want, the bike I really want is the best performance/price value, which is to say that I really want the bike that won't have me sleeping on the couch if my wife found out I could get the same performance for about half the price. I'm not interested in buying a $10k bike, nor a $5k bike, but I'm assuming I'll be $4k+ into a Shiv before it's Race Ready, at which point, will it be even noticeably faster outside of a wind tunnel than a $2500-3k Race Ready Slice?

Or am I wrong about the value of aero wheels vs aero frame in this case? Is the Shiv aero enough that it makes up the lag of its wheels over the Slice + Aero wheelset?

In other words: Comparing just total cost, would a $2800 2013 Shiv SRAM Rival with factory wheels (think they're Axis 2.0's?) roll faster off the shelf than a 2012 Slice 5 105 with $1000 towards better wheels? Or will I need to put on new wheels to catch up with the Shiv, making it a ~$4k bike?

Without a doubt, the Shiv sure LOOKS a lot cooler, but I'm certain that buying a bike based on looks isn't recommended.
2013-09-04 6:01 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
The shiv is going to be a little bit faster, apples to apples... Specialized did their homework making it.

Not the kind of difference that is make/break though. The Dale is perfectly respectable aerodynamically.

That said, the M shiv has quite a bit more stack than the 56 Dale does... that would be the determining factor for me if price weren't an issue.

2013-09-04 6:20 PM

User image

Assuming both bikes will get you into the ideal aerodynamic position, the difference in frame aerodynamics (between the shiv and the slice) won't matter as much as aero wheels (compared to training wheels), an aero helmet (compared to a road helmet), or good race tires with latex tubes (compared to standard tires and butyl tubes).

Under your criteria, I'd definitely go with the Slice.

2013-09-04 8:45 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Assuming both bikes will get you into the ideal aerodynamic position, the difference in frame aerodynamics (between the shiv and the slice) won't matter as much as aero wheels (compared to training wheels), an aero helmet (compared to a road helmet), or good race tires with latex tubes (compared to standard tires and butyl tubes).

Agree but I would recommend lightweight butyl tubes instead of latex for someone without a lot of bike experience.

2013-09-04 9:39 PM
in reply to: Billyk

User image

Originally posted by Billyk

Agree but I would recommend lightweight butyl tubes instead of latex for someone without a lot of bike experience.

I know what you're trying to get at.  Latex is a PITA to install properly and it can be costly if you do it wrong.  That being said, novice bikers "should" be able to easily install their own butyl tubes in case of a flat and be comfortable doing so before even starting to ride.  We all know that isn't true, but it "should" be true.  So theoretically, you really don't need that much bike experience at all to use latex.  Or at least bike experience if you're refering to someone who has ridden a minimum of X miles, or Y years.  You just need to be knowledgeable on how to properly install a tube.  Something a you tube video and a couple hours of practice can take care of.

2013-09-04 9:49 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

tough call. i'd say the shiv is slightly better than the slice aero-wise, and i do like that rival groupo over the 105.  however, that is a big cost difference and i'd think the slice with a set of flo's and aero helmet would be more so, and would get you back up the to shiv price point. 

depends what you want from the bike. if you want something that will be a great starting point aerodynamically that you can build onto over several seasons get the shiv, ie add wheels and such later.  if you just want to get the bike and aren't one to get an itch for new toys just get the slice and throw a set of used powertap wheels on it or flo's.

2013-09-04 11:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Mission Viejo,
Respectably fast? Work on the engine and get one of these!

(DSC01244.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
DSC01244.JPG (135KB - 3 downloads)
2013-09-05 5:37 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
You're really talking very little difference between the frames... if the option is riding the Shiv with standard wheels or get the Slice with race wheels, then I bet, the Slice will be the faster option.
2013-09-05 7:45 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Originally posted by Chokebait So I've been fitted onto a Shiv Medium or a Cannondale Slice 56cm (not R/S). $1600 to get into a Slice 105, $3000 to get into a Shiv Rival. So the straight forward question: is the Shiv frame so much faster than the Slice (older frame design) that it's worth the difference? I prefer the look of the Shiv, not sure I would use the 'fuel-slage' or not, but my way of thinking is that I can get a Slice, a set of decent race wheels, new shoes and pedals, and maybe still have a bit left over for the same price as the Shiv off the rack. I'm not a podium contender, not sure I'll ever be, but want to be respectably fast. Just looking for the right bike at the right value.

For me, I don't even need to think about it... literally not for a second.  I'd get the Slice, race wheels, race tires/tubes, aero lid, shoes and pedals.  Then smile all the way home knowing that I've got a rocking set up for every race that is undoubtedly faster than the rack Shiv.

2013-09-05 8:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Here is a list of road groupsets from Wiki.

Since SRAM Rival is 2nd from bottom, is that comparable to Shimano Sora?

For 2013, Shimano road bicycle groupsets include:
Dura-Ace Di2 [9070] (11 speed electronic)
Dura-Ace [9000] (11 speed)
Dura-Ace Track [7710] (NJS-approved, which is a requirement of all bicycle components used in professional Keirin racing in Japan)
Ultegra Di2 [6770] (10 speed electronic)
Ultegra [6700] (10 speed)
105 [5700] (10 speed)
Tiagra [4600] (10 speed, 9 speed on older models)
Sora [3500] (9 speed, 8 speed on older models)
Claris [2400] (8 speed)

In 2006, SRAM released two groupsets for racing bicycles, aimed at competing with Shimano and Campagnolo's offerings. SRAM currently has 7 road bike groupsets (in descending order of price/quality) that all use the SRAM Double Tap shifting technology:
SRAM Red22
SRAM Red 2012
SRAM Black Red (Introduced 2011)
SRAM Force22
SRAM Force
SRAM Rival
SRAM Apex (Introduced for 2010)

Edited by LPJmom 2013-09-05 8:48 AM
2013-09-05 8:44 AM
in reply to: LPJmom

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by LPJmom

Here is a list of road groupsets from Wiki.

Since SRAM Rival is 2nd from bottom, is that comparable to Shimano Sora?

No... the general consensus is

Shimano 105 = SRAM Apex / Rival
Ultegra = Force
Dura Ace = Red

and the Di2 / Ui2 are sort of on their own in that comparison.
2013-09-05 9:15 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Originally posted by Leegoocrap
Originally posted by LPJmom Here is a list of road groupsets from Wiki. Since SRAM Rival is 2nd from bottom, is that comparable to Shimano Sora?
No... the general consensus is Shimano 105 = SRAM Apex / Rival Ultegra = Force Dura Ace = Red and the Di2 / Ui2 are sort of on their own in that comparison.

Agreed, though, personally for me I'd likely say 105/Rival and leave Apex as an outlier. I think that Apex is better than Tiagra, but not quite as good as 105.  My personal opinion, of course.

2013-09-05 9:20 AM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Originally posted by Sous

Originally posted by Leegoocrap
Originally posted by LPJmom Here is a list of road groupsets from Wiki. Since SRAM Rival is 2nd from bottom, is that comparable to Shimano Sora?
No... the general consensus is Shimano 105 = SRAM Apex / Rival Ultegra = Force Dura Ace = Red and the Di2 / Ui2 are sort of on their own in that comparison.

Agreed, though, personally for me I'd likely say 105/Rival and leave Apex as an outlier. I think that Apex is better than Tiagra, but not quite as good as 105.  My personal opinion, of course.

i'll x2 that one, however my n=1 experience is that generally the "equivalent" shimano components are sturdier and perform better than the SRAM components.

2013-09-05 1:49 PM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Originally posted by Sous

For me, I don't even need to think about it... literally not for a second.  I'd get the Slice, race wheels, race tires/tubes, aero lid, shoes and pedals.  Then smile all the way home knowing that I've got a rocking set up for every race that is undoubtedly faster than the rack Shiv.

Seconded.  You'll get more of an aero advantage with trick wheels and helmet than you'll ever get with a frame. 

2013-09-05 2:36 PM
in reply to: RussTKD

User image

Master
South Alabama

I'd go with the Slice and the extra goodies if all else is equal. But ultimately, is there one bike that you really "like" more than the other then go that direction. If your heart is set on the Shiv but you would settle for the Slice and the goodies then its a tough call. Get the one that is going to get you out there riding the most and that you will be most satisfied with long term.

A new bike is great motivation! Enjoy.

2013-09-05 8:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by slornow

I'd go with the Slice and the extra goodies if all else is equal. But ultimately, is there one bike that you really "like" more than the other then go that direction. If your heart is set on the Shiv but you would settle for the Slice and the goodies then its a tough call. Get the one that is going to get you out there riding the most and that you will be most satisfied with long term.

A new bike is great motivation! Enjoy.

always get the bike you want over the bike that makes sense if you are deciding between the two... otherwise you will always look at it and wonder what might have been, which starts a nasty cycling of bike selling/buying that ultimately costs more in the end.

Edited by Clempson 2013-09-05 8:55 PM
2013-09-05 11:51 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
After riding on mediocre quality bikes for a long time, I finally picked up a decent carbon bike when my last frame went TU.  Wow, having a blast with it.  Go for it, you only live once.  Get yourself a nice bike that you'll enjoy.
2014-02-21 10:34 AM
in reply to: Coach Gil

or you could have this

(new bike boyd.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
new bike boyd.jpg (316KB - 10 downloads)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Bike prices opinions wanted? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

HRM strap- new or old opinions wanted....m

Started by fitmomma2010
Views: 822 Posts: 6

2012-01-21 7:16 AM blynott

Opinions wanted...bike related

Started by Donzy
Views: 1124 Posts: 12

2010-03-05 10:41 PM tlrmike99

So I think I finally found a bike, but would like an opinion on price

Started by CuseFF
Views: 1029 Posts: 5

2007-05-07 12:32 AM Tri-a-betic

Marathoner's Opinion Wanted Pages: 1 2

Started by ghart2
Views: 2167 Posts: 38

2005-12-12 3:27 PM the bear

opinion wanted on wetsuit

Started by bootygirl
Views: 815 Posts: 4

2004-06-01 5:43 PM Lara
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I bought a new road bike in April and want to know how to properly maintain it during the season when I'm riding often and during the off season.

date : March 4, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 4
When shopping for triathlon bike aerobars, considerations range from adjustability, comfort, aerodynamics, weight, and of course, price.
date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.
author : Daniel Clout
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

author : Daniel Clout
There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.