General Discussion Triathlon Talk » suggestions for first ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-10 6:57 AM

, Alabama
Subject: suggestions for first ironman
What would you recommend as a first ironman event in USA or Canada? For someone from the UK who will have to take into account the heat etc after only training in England where the best temperature in the summer on a very good day would be around 29degrees C. My son is giving himself a year to train for one (he is already very fit and a great cyclist) and is considering Louisville....anyone have any opinions on that or other recommendations?

2013-09-10 7:03 AM
in reply to: NMS

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: suggestions for first ironman
Are you looking for races in 2014 or 2015?  A lot of the IMs in the US or Canada for 2014 are already sold out (assuming you mean WTC branded eventS).
2013-09-10 7:14 AM
in reply to: #4851547

User image

Extreme Veteran
Louisville is likely to be hot. I have many friends who have done the race for years. Lots of rollers on the bike, tough course. But they seem to enjoy the race.

For 2014, you may consider an iron distance (nonIM) such as Rev3 Cedar Point, B2B, Bone Island, Chesapeake Man, etc.
2013-09-10 7:32 AM
in reply to: Shop Cat

User image

How long will you stay in the states? Is this a quick weekend thing to do with your son, or do you want be a tourist for awhile? I know if I ever had the chance to do an IM in Europe I would plan a long vacation so my family and I can be tourists and see the sights.
2013-09-10 8:55 AM
in reply to: LPJmom

User image

It's a shame that Ironman Mont Tremblant just sold out - its a shortish flight from the UK with Montreal being further East than Toronto. The weather is pretty similar to the UK too , not too hot, with the potential for August rain. The course is beautiful too.

it would be nice for a vacation too , fly into Montreal, head up to Tremblant for the race, back to Montreal for tourist stuff and then take the train to Toronto , fly back to the UK from TOronto after visiting Toronto and Niagara Falls.

there are Foundation spots still available for next year but they are more expensive than the regular spots.

As the poster above said Louisville can be oppressively hot and humid in August . That kind of weather is something you rarely experience in the UK and would be difficult to acclimatize to ( I'm originally from the UK and now live in Canada)

Good luck with making the choice!

2013-09-11 6:16 AM
in reply to: slowbuthappy

, Alabama
Thanks for the replies itis 2014 we are talking about, Louisville is still available. We are hoping to have a holiday there maybe arriving a week before and staying for a further week after. He is pretty keen on Louisville for a number of reasons but I am concerned about the heat and humidity. I agree Mont Temblant may have been a good option but he can only think of booking now as he has had to wait until he sorted out his summer schedule for work next year. It needs to be around the date of Louisville to fit in around his work.

2013-09-11 2:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
If you had schedule flexibility, IM Coeur d'Alene is a great race. Temperature would be a bit more in your favor.

If it does not have to be a WTC race, Vineman is around the same date as Louisville. It is one of the oldest IM distance races in the States. Again, better temperatures for you. The course is scenic plus there are wineries nearby. Unfortunately, they do not have wine hand-ups on the bike
http://www.vineman.com/triathlon.htm
Also, you can sign up for Vineman almost right up until the date of the race.

In Europe, Austria is a great race if your son is looking for a follow up event.

Edited by Hugh in TX 2013-09-11 2:35 PM
2013-09-11 3:43 PM

User image

Chicago, IL
Originally posted by NMS

Thanks for the replies itis 2014 we are talking about, Louisville is still available. We are hoping to have a holiday there maybe arriving a week before and staying for a further week after. He is pretty keen on Louisville for a number of reasons but I am concerned about the heat and humidity. I agree Mont Temblant may have been a good option but he can only think of booking now as he has had to wait until he sorted out his summer schedule for work next year. It needs to be around the date of Louisville to fit in around his work.

I feel I can add a little value here since:
1. I'm from the UK (North West), and have lived in the US for 12 years
2. I completed Louisville 2 weeks ago

Firstly, the weather in England NEVER gets remotely similar to Louisville. While the temps may soar to 25-30C (77-86F), I have never, in my life experienced humidity in the UK that comes close to what you'll find in Kentucky.
For the record, during 2013 IMLOU, I believe the temp peaked in the low-90'sF, and was even higher in 2012.

I would maybe recommend Madison, for slightly more favourable weather conditions, or Arizona, if he's able to push his vacation back to November.
2013-09-11 4:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
I don't believe Louisville sells out quickly. There's a big reason for that.

Editing - just came across this in my email account. Could be helpful:

http://beta.active.com/triathlon/articles/7-ironman-races-for-first...

Edited by FranzZemen 2013-09-11 4:42 PM
2013-09-11 5:05 PM
in reply to: pmtaylor621

, Alabama
Hi thanks for reply. I am very aware that the temperatures and humidity in UK are totally different to Louisville hence my questions. His schedule is tight for that time of year though so not many options. I have expressed to him my concerns re acclimatising and trying to replicate training for racing in those conditions. He is an adult so he will make his own choice, just trying to get as much info from those who know to help his decision making.
2013-09-11 5:06 PM
in reply to: FranzZemen

, Alabama
Thanks for the link Franz I have forwarded it to him.

2013-09-11 7:34 PM

Which of the non WTC full length events would have the best combination of good weather, good crowd support, and not so crazy hard course?

I volunteered at Michigan titanium this last year as it's on my hometown. The crowd support was certainly lacking but the convenience is there
2013-09-11 7:58 PM
in reply to: jaymcjay

User image

Veteran
New Jersey (outside philly)
Originally posted by jaymcjay

Which of the non WTC full length events would have the best combination of good weather, good crowd support, and not so crazy hard course?

I volunteered at Michigan titanium this last year as it's on my hometown. The crowd support was certainly lacking but the convenience is there

Challenge USA

2013-09-11 7:58 PM
in reply to: jaymcjay

Regular
Beach2Battleship is a very well organized great event.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » suggestions for first ironman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Coeur d'Alene 2013 Race Report (first Ironman!)

Started by GatorDeb
Views: 4565 Posts: 24

2013-06-29 7:04 PM GatorDeb

First half Ironman Next Week - Suggestions?

Started by BradyFinney
Views: 2882 Posts: 8

2011-04-08 10:44 AM BradyFinney

First Ironman? - Coeur d'Alene or new Ironman Texas

Started by 3Aims
Views: 2879 Posts: 20

2010-08-16 11:06 PM Shermbelle

Ironman France for first ironman??

Started by fglynn
Views: 1356 Posts: 7

2011-05-07 8:29 PM Khyron

suggestions for first sprit tri ?

Started by avpant
Views: 848 Posts: 7

2005-11-16 9:09 AM huengsolo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 27, 2012
author : davey m
comments : 3
Deciding on an Ironman as my first venture into triathlon was greeted with incredulity and astonishment combined with a hint of, "well, you're full of yourself aren't you?" and, "a bit ambitious?"

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : October 13, 2009
comments : 0
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : December 19, 2008
author : AMSSM
I just completed my first Ironman season and I was free of injuries. I am now just messing around when I run at a fast pace (for me), I get a shooting pain in my right knee.

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : May 20, 2008
author : mikericci
I just finished my first Ironman - New Zealand, sub 12 hours. I am looking to improve my performance through training but wondering what equipment would help me towards a better performance?

date : April 11, 2007
author : Snoball
California 1/2 Ironman: The run was my biggest fear. Prior to training, I had never run more than two miles at any given time.