General Discussion Race Reports! » The North Face Endurance Challenge 50K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The North Face Endurance Challenge 50K - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Eagle, Wisconsin
United States
64F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 09m 30s
Overall Rank = 139/232
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Leisurely would be a good way to describe my pre-race routine. Arrived about 40 minutes before the start, finished a good song that was on the radio, hit the portapotties on the way to the start area then stood next to a fireplace to keep warm. About 30 seconds before the gun I took off my sweatshirt, turned in my sweats bag and jumped into the pack to start the race. The start/finish area was set up so perfectly for an easy pre-race routine, it really was as easy as I did it. No need to drop off a sweats bag and stand shivering at the start like almost all other races I've done. I think everyone ought to get into trail running and ultras just so they'll learn to chill out and relax before the race start!
Event warmup:

Nothing really, used the first mile going slow with the masses to warm up.
Run
  • 6h 09m 30s
  • 31 miles
  • 11m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Great course. Started out quite thick with runners, but there was a nice 3/4 to 1 mile worth of road shoulder before we got into the trail, then the next mile of trail was 3-5 person wide easy going trail with one climb. By the time we got to narrow trail it had already thinned out quite a bit.
My goal for the day was to take it easy, try not to hit any proverbial wall until well beyond mile 20. The idea of walking the last 10 miles of a race just isn't really appealing to me. Based on my splits according to the race, it looks like I kept it around 10-10:30/mile up to the 11 mile mark. That's probably fine, it certainly felt easy and I didn't feel my heart rate was too high. My Garmin on the other hand was all over the place. It's started having a hard time keeping up with me and the mileage lags behind while the pace looks much slower than I'm actually running. Things starting turning into work around mile 18, but I felt like I still had something left in me and I was glad to run right through mile 20. In fact, as it turns out I ran the first 26 miles of this race in the same time I ran the Sioux Falls marathon the prior weekend on roads.
The last 8 miles were probably where things got tough and walk breaks didn't just happen on the hills. I also started having some side stitch issues at this point which didn't make running any easier. Regardless, forward progress is always a good thing and I was able to run/walk it into the finish.
What would you do differently?:

I'm happy with this time given my level of training for the race. (sorry, I haven't used my training log here in a while) I probably wouldn't run a marathon the week before a 50k in the future if time was something that mattered to me.
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of walking around the finish area, got my shoes off and a quick ice bath for my lower legs. Then a little more walking and food. Was pretty sore immediately. Any amount of sitting, especially on the ground, was followed by what must have looked terrible when I tried to get up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The usual, training. I'm starting to realize that running faster at these longer events is all about the ability to maintain my pace longer without fading. I don't need to get faster at shorter distances, I just need to be able to run on these trails at my 10:30 pace for a longer amount of time.

Event comments:

Great race, I highly recommend it. Especially for someone's first foray into the ultra or trail running world. This was trail running no doubt about it, and way tougher than any road race, but as far as trail races goes it's an easier one. Super well organized, great festival feel at the end of the race. Lots of families, people relaxing in the sun, good beer and good food.

Last updated: 2013-09-16 12:00 AM
Running
06:09:30 | 31 miles | 11m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/232
Performance: Good
Course: Series of fun loops, looked somewhat like a cloverleaf from above. Always coming back close to a central point before starting another 5-9 mile loop in another direction over different terrain. Fun!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-09-16 11:20 AM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
Subject: The North Face Endurance Challenge 50K

2013-09-16 11:27 AM
in reply to: #4856578

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: The North Face Endurance Challenge 50K

Congrats on finishing a loooong race, and on running it well (faster the marathon... which you did the WEEK before - unreal).

Sounds like a cool course, with the loops back to the central area.  Good for supporters, too, I'd guess.

Great run!

Matt

2013-09-16 12:22 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: The North Face Endurance Challenge 50K
Sounds fun - good job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The North Face Endurance Challenge 50K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

North Face Endurance Challenge 50K Ultra

Started by egorder
Views: 914 Posts: 1

2012-02-22 8:11 AM egorder

North Face Endurance Challenge 50k

Started by mchisholm
Views: 791 Posts: 1

2011-10-24 9:58 PM mchisholm

North Face Endurance Challenge

Started by Daloraev
Views: 1033 Posts: 1

2008-10-28 9:42 PM Daloraev

The North Face Endurance Challenge

Started by swbkrun
Views: 1840 Posts: 10

2008-05-15 12:52 PM swbkrun

The North Face Endurance Challenge - 50 km

Started by poweredbyfear
Views: 1350 Posts: 3

2007-12-11 11:26 PM joebowler
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 10, 2013
author : mnatwood
comments : 2
Don’t give up just because the training is difficult. Don’t let fear win just because you find yourself uncomfortable.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : July 9, 2007
author : AMSSM
The consensus is that caffeine does enhance performance and decreases perceived exertion in endurance exercise. There are no significant performance benefits in short, high-intensity exercise.
date : June 25, 2006
author : Team BT
Bench Press - Dumbbell, Palms Facing-In strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : November 27, 2005
author : AMSSM
Try to view your injury as another athletic challenge and an opportunity for personal learning and growth. Identify the skills that help you succeed as an athlete.
date : September 3, 2005
author : infosteward
The Boulder Peak bike course is legendary. It is, literally and named as such, one of the toughest bike legs in the country.

date : August 31, 2004
WAYNESVILLE, Ohio (August 22, 2004) Professional triathlete Felipe Bastos (BRA/USA) took another trip to Ohio this weekend...