General Discussion Triathlon Talk » USAT rules Question... Wearing shoes during the swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-26 6:37 PM

Subject: USAT rules Question... Wearing shoes during the swim
During my last race, I encountered a swimmer who was wearing (Teva type) sandals for the swim portion. I feel that a breast-stroking swimmer with sandals is pretty dangerous (it definitely felt that way when it was my face her sandals were inches away from).

I'm considering writing a note to the race director, but am wondering if there is any official policy against wearing footwear during a swim. I checked the USAT rules but didn't see anything. Is it worth sending the note or should I just accept that some people like to swim in their shoes?

2006-07-26 7:26 PM
in reply to: #494191

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: USAT rules Question... Wearing shoes during the swim

The only thing I saw for swimming was the below.  I think you should just accept it and move on.  I can see your point, but I think you should just avoid a person like this so it wouldn't affect you.  To me it would not be worth it. That's my opinion. 

4.9 Illegal Equipment.

Any swimmer wearing any artificial propulsion device, including but not limited to fins, gloves, paddles, or floating devices of any kind shall be disqualified.

2006-07-26 8:24 PM

Yeah, that's the rule I saw as well. I totally passed her by the way, probably because she was creating all that extra drag for herself!
2006-07-26 8:29 PM
in reply to: #494280

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
If I was you, I would have created some drag for her as well-- I would have dragged her butt behind me as I passed her so she could kick at the fish with those big ol' artificial propulsion devices instead.
2006-07-26 8:32 PM

By the way, I wouln't be writing the message to the RD to tattle on the girl, just to inform them that it might be something to look out for at races. This organization is pretty large, and a lot of people do their races as first-timers.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » USAT rules Question... Wearing shoes during the swim Rss Feed