Other Resources The Political Joe » Anyone actually affected by the shutdown? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2013-10-01 4:25 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Anyone actually affected by the shutdown?
Originally posted by Left Brain
Originally posted by lisac957
Originally posted by NXS

No, I'm quite sure there are some people sitting around thinking it's the end of the world.  I'll say it again....there is not a single worker for the Federal Govt. who will lose their home or anything else solely over this monkey business.

ANYTHING else? No one losing a paycheck will lose ANYTHING? How is that even possible.

Why don't you read what I wrote.  Do YOU know anyone who has lost a home or a car because they missed ONE payment?  No you don't because it doesn't happen......and there is no way in hell this thing goes on for more than a few days in order to make some kind of silly arse statement.  Do you think politicians are going to let people who vote for them lose their homes over this?  That's just ridiculous.

Like I said, Lisa, my family IS one of those who is affected.  More than half of our household income will be lost....for the time being, because we will, of course, get the money as soon as the budget is passed......something our creditors will also be aware of.

I swear......the reason this stupid crap works for these idiots in Congress is because the public buys into the stupidity. 

Let's do this, Lisa......I'll bet you a months pay that you won't be able to find a single person, when this is over, who lost their home SOLELY because of these shenanigans in Congress.  NOT ONE.

As for the "Else".....why don't you go ahead and tell me what they will lose.  You do notice how the govt. is making sure foodstamps, social security, etc. is still carrying on right?  This is a friggin joke.

Your abrasiveness is endearing.

Do you honestly think that someone living paycheck to paycheck and suddenly not receiving one can go on as if nothing has happened? Is it possible that they'll have to cut back on food, put off buying their kids new shoes, cancel piano lessons or their gym membership? That's what I was referring to. I didn't think I had to spell it out.

I have had to do that and so have untold numbers of people in the private sector. You know what? Life goes on and we all learn from it. What makes gov. workers any more valuable than those in the private sector?

I didn't say that at all.

I have the same sympathy for the hundreds of co-workers who were recently laid off where I work in the private sector. But to say that not getting a paycheck won't affect someone is just delusional.  

What you don't seem to understand, ok, one of the things you don't understand..... is that the overwhelming majority of those who are "laid off" will receive full pay when the budget is passed and the games are over.  It won't last long enough to have a creditor come after them for anything.....it's a game.  The other thing that happens for the folks who won't get back pay is that they will get taken care of with bonuses and extra overtime....this is not new territory.  Like I said, my family is part of "those who are affected", and we are friends with A LOT of Federal workers....you have no idea what you are talking about for the most part.  There's not a lot of whining going on from the people we know.

why do you have to talk down to people????/

2013-10-01 4:29 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Pro
Originally posted by jford2309
Originally posted by NXS

No, I'm quite sure there are some people sitting around thinking it's the end of the world.  I'll say it again....there is not a single worker for the Federal Govt. who will lose their home or anything else solely over this monkey business.

ANYTHING else? No one losing a paycheck will lose ANYTHING? How is that even possible.

Why don't you read what I wrote.  Do YOU know anyone who has lost a home or a car because they missed ONE payment?  No you don't because it doesn't happen......and there is no way in hell this thing goes on for more than a few days in order to make some kind of silly arse statement.  Do you think politicians are going to let people who vote for them lose their homes over this?  That's just ridiculous.

Like I said, Lisa, my family IS one of those who is affected.  More than half of our household income will be lost....for the time being, because we will, of course, get the money as soon as the budget is passed......something our creditors will also be aware of.

I swear......the reason this stupid crap works for these idiots in Congress is because the public buys into the stupidity. 

Let's do this, Lisa......I'll bet you a months pay that you won't be able to find a single person, when this is over, who lost their home SOLELY because of these shenanigans in Congress.  NOT ONE.

As for the "Else".....why don't you go ahead and tell me what they will lose.  You do notice how the govt. is making sure foodstamps, social security, etc. is still carrying on right?  This is a friggin joke.

Do you honestly think that someone living paycheck to paycheck and suddenly not receiving one can go on as if nothing has happened? Is it possible that they'll have to cut back on food, put off buying their kids new shoes, cancel piano lessons or their gym membership? That's what I was referring to. I didn't think I had to spell it out.

I have had to do that and so have untold numbers of people in the private sector. You know what? Life goes on and we all learn from it. What makes gov. workers any more valuable than those in the private sector?

I have the same sympathy for the hundreds of co-workers who were recently laid off where I work in the private sector. But to say that not getting a paycheck won't affect someone is just delusional.  

What you don't seem to understand, ok, one of the things you don't understand..... is that the overwhelming majority of those who are "laid off" will receive full pay when the budget is passed and the games are over.  It won't last long enough to have a creditor come after them for anything.....it's a game.  The other thing that happens for the folks who won't get back pay is that they will get taken care of with bonuses and extra overtime....this is not new territory.  Like I said, my family is part of "those who are affected", and we are friends with A LOT of Federal workers....you have no idea what you are talking about for the most part.  There's not a lot of whining going on from the people we know.

What?  It's a response to "But to say that not getting a paycheck won't affect someone is just delusional."

Looks like you forgot to bold that part, huh? Laughing  

2013-10-01 4:37 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Originally posted by NXS

What?  It's a response to "But to say that not getting a paycheck won't affect someone is just delusional."

I saw no you are delusional in that response, nothing pointing at a person, just at a thought or opinion, the you makes it personal.

2013-10-01 4:40 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Another thought.  I know that most individuals/families can bounce back, but what about the parks and stuff?  I have no clue, but I'm wondering how a Lake Mead Rec Area or Red Rock Conservation area here in Vegas can afford to not have guest revenue for days and days?  Probably get subsidized, I suppose.  Could it eventually result in cutting staff?

When I visit Mt. Zion, I see lines of people dropping 20-30 bucks to get into the park all day/every day.  When that trickles down to the workers, it's probably not a big deal...  But the economic effect of days and days of missed revenue and people not going and hurting the Springdale tourist economy.  A lot of these towns based at National Parks have a completely tourist driven economy and live on the tourist season which in many times is just the summer.  An entire week of summer with little/no guests, plus people not making arrangement to go without knowing when this will end?  It could be weeks before things get back to normal.  I bet the owners of these B&B's or local restaurants could be sweating bullets right now.

That's what is aggravating about this.  The govt is trying to put on a dog and pony show, and people may say it's only just a couple days off with back pay for govt employees, but this could have bigger impacts to places like Springdale that completely depend on tourists going/staying/eating outside of Zion.  I would bet that a week of closures AND not knowing when it will ever open has MUCH more of an impact that one week of slow tourism (which could be bad enough).  It could be a month or more just to get back to normalcy.  Places/people that depend on that?  Could be hurting.  What if your little Mt. Zion souvenir shop depends on an end of season blow out sale that clears inventory (probably can sell it for %50 off and still make money) that no longer has those two weeks?  Again, not from the week of closures, but the hesitancy of people to make arrangements not knowing what's going on?

Most will bounce back, I'm sure.  Just a hiccup.  But I bet there are some people that are having restless nights now and probably don't even work for the govt.

2013-10-01 5:10 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Master
Denver
I'm stuck at home for this.  I'm hopeful we'll get back pay, that's always happened in the past, but with the disdain this congress seems to have for public servants I'm not taking anything for granted.  Assuming it doesn't go on for months I'm not going to lose my house over it, but that's a pretty crappy place to set the bar.   When the republicans said they wanted to run government more like a business they never told us it was going to be Enron...
2013-10-01 5:17 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I was not affect by this but I did lose my job and my place of residence because congress did not give us the funding once. I guess that is why I was a temp to a temp company temping for a military contractor. (basically there was 2 temp companies involved). Sure I could gotten my job back about 3 months later but lucky for me I got a new job. It was only part time but it meant I did not have to go through that stress all over again of relocating, finding a place, set myself up and be in fear I would lose my job any day again. Next time I do not think I would find a place I would pay bi weekly. That would let me out in 2 week notice.

2013-10-01 5:34 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

So LB's glass is half full on this subject.  (I guess I'm the conspiracistCool

2013-10-01 5:35 PM
in reply to: drewb8

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by drewb8 I'm stuck at home for this.  I'm hopeful we'll get back pay, that's always happened in the past, but with the disdain this congress seems to have for public servants I'm not taking anything for granted.  Assuming it doesn't go on for months I'm not going to lose my house over it, but that's a pretty crappy place to set the bar.   When the republicans said they wanted to run government more like a business they never told us it was going to be Enron...

mental note... don't post anymore in the global warming thread...  Drew has too much time on his hands  

2013-10-01 5:50 PM

User image

Pro
Originally posted by NXS

I saw no you are delusional in that response, nothing pointing at a person, just at a thought or opinion, the you makes it personal.

I know you didn't, Ford.....now stop attacking me. Cool 

I can go back and take the "you" out but you'll still know who I'm talking to, just like in the "delusional" post.  Don't worry about me though.....I'm not offendable. Seriously. 

Once again, mine was a response, that's all.  Would you like me to go find every post on this board that says "you don't know what you are talking about". or "you are wrong", or anything along those lines or should we just let this go?

2013-10-01 6:15 PM

User image

Las Vegas
I am a contractor for the government... NO WORK equals NO PAY for me until this stoppage is over... the only way I can get paid is if I take vacation time, and the only problem with using my vacation time for the "shutdown" is that I may not have enough vacation time for my WEDDING and HONEYMOON in less than 3 weeks!!!! There is more than just National Parks being closed and people getting back-payed eventually out there, there is also a few thousand of us that are losing something!
2013-10-01 6:20 PM
in reply to: jkossman

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member

Originally posted by jkossman I am a contractor for the government... NO WORK equals NO PAY for me until this stoppage is over... the only way I can get paid is if I take vacation time, and the only problem with using my vacation time for the "shutdown" is that I may not have enough vacation time for my WEDDING and HONEYMOON in less than 3 weeks!!!! There is more than just National Parks being closed and people getting back-payed eventually out there, there is also a few thousand of us that are losing something!

I am also a contractor who is not getting paid during shutdown.  I used up all of my vacation being out for the past 2 weeks for foot surgery, so I have no option but to take leave without pay.

2013-10-01 6:22 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jkossman I am a contractor for the government... NO WORK equals NO PAY for me until this stoppage is over... the only way I can get paid is if I take vacation time, and the only problem with using my vacation time for the "shutdown" is that I may not have enough vacation time for my WEDDING and HONEYMOON in less than 3 weeks!!!! There is more than just National Parks being closed and people getting back-payed eventually out there, there is also a few thousand of us that are losing something!

I have  a couple of friends in Afghanistan now on govt. contracts.....they're going to get paid.  It's a contract. The money might be slowed down or momentarily stopped, but they know they'll get paid.

I don't know what you do, and certainly there are folks who are affected in different ways......but just like the last shutdown, overwhelmingly everyone was fine.

2013-10-01 6:59 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Pro

couldn't bike/hike/run in my local national park.  I liked Google's banner today

??

(Capture.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture.JPG (35KB - 9 downloads)
2013-10-01 7:29 PM
in reply to: jenstewey

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
I'm a contractor as well... to the Department of Veterans Affairs. We're BAU here. Only difference is that today the campus is packed... apparently they told the Government employees who work from home that they have to show up in the office. This is ordinarily a busy place, today it was even more so.
2013-10-01 7:35 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

I have  a couple of friends in Afghanistan now on govt. contracts.....they're going to get paid.  It's a contract. The money might be slowed down or momentarily stopped, but they know they'll get paid.

I don't know what you do, and certainly there are folks who are affected in different ways......but just like the last shutdown, overwhelmingly everyone was fine.

Some contractors are paid on an hourly basis by their employers. If they're not working they won't get paid. Whether their employer gets paid for the contract or not is another story, and becomes an issue outside the shutdown.
2013-10-01 8:02 PM
in reply to: mcgilmartin

User image

Elite

Back to the original question, being in the DC area, many many friends were sent home today.

The most ludicrous site were all the sawhorses blocking trails in Rock Creek park because the park is officially closed.  And they even put tape around the Lincoln Memorial.  They are blocking Beach dRive with gates, because it is in Rock Creek Park.  I fortunately live on the Maryland end, or it would be a pain to get to my house. Others, not as lucky.

It all seems to be a show of "you're going to shut down the gov't??  we'll show you how miserable we can make it so you'll cave".

2013-10-01 8:23 PM

Veteran

I really doubt any creditors are going to care if I am missing a paycheck. I do not see them cutting anyone any slack. So they may not lose their house, but if you happen to get behind on your bills, this could be the beginning of getting yourslef in a hole that could eventually hurt alot of families.

exactly. it starts somewhere, and a GS-8 doesn't make much money. late fees on rent, car payment and even one other think adds up. and then it snowballs. people sitting on a tri board clearly have excess money or they wouldn't be doing triathlons. ...and it appears some have no idea what it's like to have to live paycheck to paycheck because they don't make much money, not because they spend too much. I have a friend with three small kids whose wife died unexpectedly. He is a single income household, that just pay a lot of money for a funeral (digging the hole at the cemetery alone cost $2k), and then the time he missed for the funeral, for her short illness, the medical expenses for her illness, plus renting the funeral facilities, the casket, the cement liner you are required by law to buy, etc. yes, people like him ARE seriously affected by the shutdown. ...the freeloaders still getting food stamps and disability are a huge part of the problem. there still getting their entitlements means nothing. we are talking about the people who actually work being severely affected by the shutdown.

that's nice that you have a two income house hold and because of that were able to put money in savings. ..or $2500 for a race week Condo, a coach, and $700 registration fee for one race. not everyone is so lucky, and it's not from mismanaging their money. not everyone comes from well to do families (which of course, I'm sure neither of you do, because then you would have to acknowledge that you are privileged and have no clue what it's like to be barely making ends meet).

you are lucky the govt shutdown doesn't affect you. not everyone is lucky. ask a G-9 living in DC who doesn't have a spouse.
2013-10-01 8:29 PM
in reply to: turtlegirl

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Originally posted by turtlegirl

Back to the original question, being in the DC area, many many friends were sent home today.

The most ludicrous site were all the sawhorses blocking trails in Rock Creek park because the park is officially closed.  And they even put tape around the Lincoln Memorial.  They are blocking Beach dRive with gates, because it is in Rock Creek Park.  I fortunately live on the Maryland end, or it would be a pain to get to my house. Others, not as lucky.

It all seems to be a show of "you're going to shut down the gov't??  we'll show you how miserable we can make it so you'll cave".

Yep, I recall the great "fiscal cliff" and the sequestration. Like cancelling White House tours. Shows just how full of S**t the lawmakers are. How much manpower did they waste today putting up sawhorses?
2013-10-01 8:33 PM

Veteran
Originally posted by jkossman

I am a contractor for the government... NO WORK equals NO PAY for me until this stoppage is over... the only way I can get paid is if I take vacation time, and the only problem with using my vacation time for the "shutdown" is that I may not have enough vacation time for my WEDDING and HONEYMOON in less than 3 weeks!!!! There is more than just National Parks being closed and people getting back-payed eventually out there, there is also a few thousand of us that are losing something!

• .and back pay is not guaranteed. in fact, this time around it is rather questionable. and govt employees that are non-essential do not get to use their vacation time for furlough. not allowed. I am essential and have to go to work an extra day each week to cover the non-essentials. that's an extra 10 hour day, of my weekend I will never get paid for, nor get back. I wouldn't mind so much if the freeloaders didn't continue to get all their freebies while driving their Escalades and carrying designer bags, wearing designer glasses, and do nothing but sit on their A's furlough or no furlough.

• regarding the parks, I have a friend that flew to AZ to hike the Grand Canyon, only to be turned away because of the shutdown. the permits, the flight, the hotel, etc. he lost out on a lot of money on his dream vacation that he saved two years to take. who is paying him back?
    2013-10-01 8:43 PM
    in reply to: Red2sbr

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by Red2sbr Scheduled to race this weekend, Last Try in IL. The lake and park is run by Army Corps. of Engineers and right now it is shut down. So unless they all come to a speedy agreement (not likely eh?) I will not be racing this weekend. Thankfully my campground reservation is at a private park so at least I'll still be camping with the family. Just not racing. I try to keep this in perspective that at least it is not affecting my livelyhood like it is for many others.

Ohhh, I was thinking of racing this but I have not registered yet. Guess I won't worry about it now and just sleep in on Saturday .

2013-10-01 8:52 PM
    in reply to: mcgilmartin

User image

Elite
    Originally posted by mcgilmartin
    Originally posted by turtlegirl

Yep, I recall the great "fiscal cliff" and the sequestration. Like cancelling White House tours. Shows just how full of S**t the lawmakers are. How much manpower did they waste today putting up sawhorses?

It just seems so silly. So so so silly.  There is a lot of display being done.  What is most frustrating is they close down parks where I bike routinely, and never ever see any patrolling park police.  Yet, in a 25 mph national park, where it says every where "bike route" and "share the road", heck its even closed down on the weekends, that the road is always packed with commuters that are flying down the road, honking at cyclists, and I've been run off the road a few times.

Now all of a sudden they decide its a park that they have been patrolling?  or it will be "so unsafe" that they had to close it since the National Park service can't patrol it?  Its ludicrous.  Thats why I think its all show.  No one cared about my safety the past 5 years I've been biking there (and so does the rest of the area).

PS to those of you losing paychecks, I am really really hoping this gets resolved quickly. Mine are only annoyances/first world problems.  I could not live losing 2 paychecks.  Lots of single incomes around here, many with children, and in such a high rent area, there are many people in that boat, I"d be willing to wager. 

2013-10-01 8:52 PM
    in reply to: sheesleeva

User image

Pro

Did anyone here go through the shutdown during the Clinton administration 18 years ago?  We did.....it lasted 3 weeks.  We all lived. 

This may be  good time to do what we do with our kids when they get all whiny....go visit a homeless shelter.  Or even eaiser, go look up the "perspective" thread on this board.....it'll help you along.  This won't last long enough to put any of us out to the point where we lose our way.

2013-10-02 8:53 AM
    in reply to: sheesleeva

User image

Master
    Centennial, CO

regarding the parks, I have a friend that flew to AZ to hike the Grand Canyon, only to be turned away because of the shutdown. the permits, the flight, the hotel, etc. he lost out on a lot of money on his dream vacation that he saved two years to take. who is paying him back?

I think this is the problem.  Yes frustrating and unfortunate, but it really is not life threatning or will not cause financial ruin to not hike the Grand Canyon, or Cancel Gym Member Ships, Piano lessons, not get new sneakers, have a race canceled, etc.

These are not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.  Utimately, this should be remembered next time you go to vote.  Only you will be able to decide who you blame for your inconvenience, and vote accordingly.  Personally, whether D or R, I would not vote for a single encumbent.  I would vote them all out and start over.  Maybe with a bunch of Independents (who think just like me).

2013-10-02 9:17 AM
    in reply to: velocomp

User image

Pro

I just received an email that Valley Forge Park is closed. This is a popular spot for cyclists as the Schuylkill River Trail runs through there and there is a bathroom. So now you can honestly say the government doesn't give a sh*t about the people. 

The SRT is open until you get to the park, then it's gated off, then on the other side of the park it reopens. According to the email a Park Ranger suggested cutting through the parking lot, which is technically not on Federal property, going a short distance on the road, and getting back on the trail just past the gate. At least some of the essential personnel are helpful (not you, Congress).

2013-10-02 9:43 AM
    in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Champion
    Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
    I'm sorry I must have missed the memo stating that now life will always be fair and we will never have to face any challenges; could someone please forward it to me. I know that sounds harsh but there comes a point where you have to stop trying to make everything be ok for everybody, it will never happen!!
    New Thread
    Other Resources The Political Joe » Anyone actually affected by the shutdown? Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

If new rules from the "fiscal cliff fiasco" didn't go into affect until 1 Jan...

Started by jldicarlo
    Views: 2321 Posts: 13

2013-04-27 8:44 AM GomesBolt
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : July 28, 2008
    author : davebass63
    comments : 1
    A blow by blow description of my first triathlon. Let me start by telling you how I planned for it to go. Though here's what actually occurred.