General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2013-10-21 3:13 PM
in reply to: cnixon83

Master
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread
I am Rachel, 37, from Charlotte.

I DNFed IMKY in 2011. I was not a strong enough cyclist but I also didn't have the time to put in I needed b/c my kids were just too young at the time. I have been running since I was about 10 or so. All my siblings and I started running with our dad and some of us have kept running in different ways. I always knew i wanted to do an Ironman and in 2008 I bought a bike and did a couple of sprints. Since then I have done some sprints, Olys, and HIMs. Even though I don't really have any natural athletic talent, I like to push myself and see what I can do. Everything doesn't always turn out the way I want but I definitely learn from each experience.

My plan was to go back to IMKY in 2014 but when I heard about Chattanooga I decided it was a better option for that year. I am super nervous about this one b/c I really, really need to not DNF.

in reply to: tricrazy

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
I'm Jeff, 37 from Virginia Beach, Va. Been doing triathlons for 9 seasons now. Getting ready to race my 5th HIM in Augusta in 3 weeks. Have done several Olympics and sprints. I had been considering a IM for a while, but never knew where I would be living long enough or have a full time job to make the decision. Now that I have both had been looking at races for next year and IM Chattanooga popped up and I knew I had to do it. I lived in Chattanooga for 13 months while doing my master's degree at UTC. Training has been going well and I'm found some great training partners here. It will be my first IM, but still have some pretty high goals.
in reply to: parrj

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
So, first question for the group: What training plan or coach are you planning on using? I used Be Iron Fit for Louisville, but I'm shopping around right now. Anyone know what they're going with yet?
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Originally posted by WoodrowCall

So, first question for the group: What training plan or coach are you planning on using? I used Be Iron Fit for Louisville, but I'm shopping around right now. Anyone know what they're going with yet?

Well I'm a coach myself, so I'm going to write my own plan and have my training partners keep me honest.
in reply to: parrj

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Hi Everyone!

I'm Monica, currently 38 (though I always have to do math to figure out how old I am) and if everything goes well at B2B, IM Choo Choo will be my 3rd IM distance race. 

I grew up as a highly competitive gymnast where I broke my back for the 1st time, then took up basketball (believe me, the skill set does NOT transfer between the two sports) and had to have 2 reconstructive knee surgeries, beach volleyball, snowboarding where I broke my back for the 2nd time and then became an unhappy sedentary slug. The chronology...

2009 my marriage split up

2010 found triathlons and BT... and a certain someone on BT

2011 I moved from Vancouver, BC to the UK to be with said someone

2012 moved from the UK to Chicago, got married to my awesome DH, and we finished IMAZ together

2013 got my Green Card, got a job, NO MORE MOVING and still have B2B on the race docket.  Laughing

in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by WoodrowCall So, first question for the group: What training plan or coach are you planning on using? I used Be Iron Fit for Louisville, but I'm shopping around right now. Anyone know what they're going with yet?

That's what I'm using right now for B2B, but I'm not sure whether I'll use it again next year.  I've found it to be too swim-heavy and not enough run workouts for my liking as I'm fairly strong in the water and running is definitely my weakness.  Though I guess I can also tweak the workouts slightly to make them work better for me. 

in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by WoodrowCall So, first question for the group: What training plan or coach are you planning on using? I used Be Iron Fit for Louisville, but I'm shopping around right now. Anyone know what they're going with yet?

That's what I'm using right now for B2B, but I'm not sure whether I'll use it again next year.  I've found it to be too swim-heavy and not enough run workouts for my liking as I'm fairly strong in the water and running is definitely my weakness.  Though I guess I can also tweak the workouts slightly to make them work better for me. 

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. My swim went perfectly in IMLou; it's definitely the other two I need to work on. I'm surprised so many plans put so much of an emphasis on the swim. I'm definitely focusing on the bike and run a lot more this time around; that's where real gains can be made.
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
I have to imagine that the Marriott Convention Center will be the hub for the race. The Chattanoogan has convention space as well, just not quite as big as the Marriott.
As far as plans go, due to time constraints with my job and family, I will be getting a coach for the first time. Considering local coaching vs. Endurance Nation. Not sure which way I'll go yet. EN looks like interesting approach.

Edited by hornjs 2013-09-08 10:40 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

I'm Amy. From Miami.

This will be my second IM. I use a local coach.

It's going to be a fun year getting ready for this race. I'm excited.

User image

Veteran
Kansas
Hello everyone. Chris from Olathe, Kansas (suburb of Kansas City). This wil be my second IM, did IMFL back in 2010. Thought I would do another IM sooner but having a second kid, moving ... etc. can disrupt the best of plans. Probably T.M.I., here but my second daughter was born pretty much 9 months to the date following IMFL, so wife and I have our agreement that I'll do IMCHOO and we will go for kid Number 3. Sounds like a win-win.

My brother-in-law also signed up, so I'm excited to have a training partner and the whole family is really amped as well. We ended up renting 2 homes on the same street near downtown Chattanooga to have enough space for everyone. Happy and healthy training to everyone, and I hope we all take advantage of this thread during the year as it was a real source of motivation and inspiration when training for IMFL. We'll all probably feel like we know one another come race day, so hope in the days leading up maybe we can organize a BT practice swim or lunch. Best regards.

Chris

Edited by cjkelly0729 2013-09-09 9:23 AM
in reply to: cjkelly0729

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by cjkelly0729

Hello everyone. Chris from Olathe, Kansas (suburb of Kansas City). This wil be my second IM, did IMFL back in 2010. Thought I would do another IM sooner but having a second kid, moving ... etc. can disrupt the best of plans. Probably T.M.I., here but my second daughter was born pretty much 9 months to the date following IMFL, so wife and I have our agreement that I'll do IMCHOO and we will go for kid Number 3. Sounds like a win-win.

My brother-in-law also signed up, so I'm excited to have a training partner and the whole family is really amped as well. We ended up renting 2 homes on the same street near downtown Chattanooga to have enough space for everyone. Happy and healthy training to everyone, and I hope we all take advantage of this thread during the year as it was a real source of motivation and inspiration when training for IMFL. We'll all probably feel like we know one another come race day, so hope in the days leading up maybe we can organize a BT practice swim or lunch. Best regards.

Chris

9 month to the date eh? LOL So now you know what causes pregnancy. For my wife, it was plum wine. Nice dinner, a glass of plum wine.....9 months later....

I am enjoying reading all the mini-bios of everyone. Keep them coming! It is interesting to see how diverse our background are but also a few common threads as life happens.

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Ha this part feels a bit like AA... I'm Dave and I'm a triathlon-oholic... "Hi Dave"

Anyhow, I'm 42 and live just outside of Washington, DC.  I've spent 3 years doing the triathlon thing and have completed 4 HIMs and about 15 or so sprints and olys.  Prior to staring in triathlon I was mostly a marathon runner and did a couple or few every year for about the last 10 years (although I did take 2 years off in my mid 30s).  NYC in November will be my 20th full marathon with a bunch of halfs and such along the way.  Obviously, running is my strongest sport of the 3, my cycling is coming along, and my swimming still resembles a man trying not to drown.

I'm looking forward to this journey and hope to hear Mike Reilly bestow a new title upon me on Sept 28, 2014.

I'm pretty much an open book (with some exceptions) so if anyone has any questions I can help them with, just ask.  But beware, I'm also very frank and not so PC... some people like this some don't, but hey, love me for me.

in reply to: Sous

User image

Hey guys - I'm David - 50 - I did IMFLA in 2012 as my first and have had post-IM disorder ever since. I am hoping to improve my time with IM #2, but mainly I just want to try and enjoy the training and take the race as it comes. It's an incredible experience.

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Sous

Ha this part feels a bit like AA... I'm Dave and I'm a triathlon-oholic... "Hi Dave"

Anyhow, I'm 42 and live just outside of Washington, DC.  I've spent 3 years doing the triathlon thing and have completed 4 HIMs and about 15 or so sprints and olys.  Prior to staring in triathlon I was mostly a marathon runner and did a couple or few every year for about the last 10 years (although I did take 2 years off in my mid 30s).  NYC in November will be my 20th full marathon with a bunch of halfs and such along the way.  Obviously, running is my strongest sport of the 3, my cycling is coming along, and my swimming still resembles a man trying not to drown.

I'm looking forward to this journey and hope to hear Mike Reilly bestow a new title upon me on Sept 28, 2014.

I'm pretty much an open book (with some exceptions) so if anyone has any questions I can help them with, just ask.  But beware, I'm also very frank and not so PC... some people like this some don't, but hey, love me for me.

Good to meet you Dave and welcome to triathlon not-so-anonomous.

For years running was my strong suit too. Not that I was any good at it, but I just enjoyed it the most. But after a couple of knee surgeries and a couple of herniated discs, swimming has become no only my favorite but by best event. Once I finally 'got comfortable' swimming, I just feel in love with it.

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Originally posted by Rogillio

Good to meet you Dave and welcome to triathlon not-so-anonomous. For years running was my strong suit too. Not that I was any good at it, but I just enjoyed it the most. But after a couple of knee surgeries and a couple of herniated discs, swimming has become no only my favorite but by best event. Once I finally 'got comfortable' swimming, I just feel in love with it.

You know, funny thing is, I actually do like to swim.  For some reason I'm just not that good at it.  I've taken two different sets of classes (one with a local rec center, and one triathlon focused) but haven't seemed to get the knack for it.  I'm able to muscle my way to halfway decent times, but I'm an ugly swimmer.  If I was able to be more efficient, I might actually be somewhat good at it.  I'm going to bite the bullet and pay for some some one-on-one stuff this winter.

User image

Veteran
Kansas

Originally posted by cjkelly0729

Chris

9 month to the date eh? LOL So now you know what causes pregnancy. For my wife, it was plum wine. Nice dinner, a glass of plum wine.....9 months later....

I am enjoying reading all the mini-bios of everyone. Keep them coming! It is interesting to see how diverse our background are but also a few common threads as life happens.

She is 2 now and is a ball of energy, which my wife blames on the fact that she was conceived when I was at my peak athletic prowess ... I was just happy that after a year of wearing bike shorts, everything still worked so to speak ... Enjoying reading everyones bios as well - the tri community is really what I think hooked me into these crazy endeavors.

User image

Good to meet you Dave and welcome to triathlon not-so-anonomous. For years running was my strong suit too. Not that I was any good at it, but I just enjoyed it the most. But after a couple of knee surgeries and a couple of herniated discs, swimming has become no only my favorite but by best event. Once I finally 'got comfortable' swimming, I just feel in love with it.

You know, funny thing is, I actually do like to swim.  For some reason I'm just not that good at it.  I've taken two different sets of classes (one with a local rec center, and one triathlon focused) but haven't seemed to get the knack for it.  I'm able to muscle my way to halfway decent times, but I'm an ugly swimmer.  If I was able to be more efficient, I might actually be somewhat good at it.  I'm going to bite the bullet and pay for some some one-on-one stuff this winter.

you could maybe check out Endorphin Fitness in Northern VA - they are a triathlon store and do endurance coaching and will do analysis sessions - to include swimming. I got to talk to them at the TriMania Expo that was held in March - they have Nutrition, Personal Training/Coaching, Physical Therapists all on staff (its like 3 different businesses melded together)
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Until I hear otherwise, I am going to assume that I am in.  Active tells me I am, and IM/WTC hasn't answered yet, so here it goes.

My name is Ken (duh!) and I am 49, so I will age up for this race.

I am still training for IMFL in a couple of months, it will be my 4th IM distance race and second this year.  I did a new, local IM distance race last month.  I liked the idea of Chattanooga because it is a little more than a month earlier than FL so the season ends a little earlier (or becomes the fall running season earlier!!)

This is my first year using a coach and I have found that it has taken my racing up another notch.  I wish I had done it sooner, and will definately use one for next year as well. 

We have a cruise booked for New Years, so shortly after that I am sure we will get started, focusing more on FL 70.3 in April and then kick in the training for this race.  I think I raced too much this year (I have done 3 HIM's) so I am going to cut back some next year. 

in reply to: kenj

User image

Veteran
Va Beach
Hi everyone, I am Jim from Va Beach, Va, this will be IM #6 for me, assuming I finish IMFL in Nov. I have done INKY, IMLP x3, IMMT, and IMFL in Nov. my best time was 11:14 and I would love to finish around that time again. The one thing I have learned is that so many things can happen over the year of training and the race itself that I don't really worry about the finish time. The most important thing is being healthy and ready to go race day. I'm looking forward to chatting with you folks over the year as we all get ready to race next Sept. I'm in for the Raleigh 70.3 in Jun and the Rock N Roll 1/2 in VB in Aug, that's it so far. Best of luck to everyone in your training and stay safe. I use "Be Iron Fit" competitive program by Don Fink and that has worked well for me.

Jim
in reply to: godekjames

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
Hey all, Joe (57) from Groveland Florida here. I'm hoping to continue a long string of 15-16 hour finishes. This will be number 15 start for me at the 140.6 distance, number 10 m-dot race. Still have IMArizona and then IMLosCabos to work through before IMChoo. I keep coming back for the energy that exists throughout race morning, especially on the beach before the start, and the amazing frenzy at the finish. Sometimes I wish I were one of the folks who could do one IM race and move on, but I'm addicted. I don't have much advice to give except how manage arthritic knees well enough to keep sneaking in under the cutoffs - the 16:30 limit for this race is similar to European IM races where the time cutoff is 16 hours, and with the relatively flat bike and current assisted swim should not pose a significant barrier.
in reply to: exnavydoc

User image

Regular
Good morning!
I'm Eric, 33, from Birmingham, AL. I've done IMFLx2. IMChatty will be #3. I've been in triathlon for 5 years now. Really looking forward to the race. Never can have a good run so that is the focus for this off season. Debating on purchasing a training plan, coach, or using the training bible. I've done one or the other for the past 4 years. I'm focusing on run, strength, and weightloss this off season. Will probably kick off training in late Jan or early Feb with the hopes of doing NOLA 70.3 (maybe) & Raleigh 70.3 with a few oly's thrown in there.

Safe training everyone!

in reply to: exnavydoc

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by exnavydoc

Hey all, Joe (57) from Groveland Florida here. I'm hoping to continue a long string of 15-16 hour finishes. This will be number 15 start for me at the 140.6 distance, number 10 m-dot race. Still have IMArizona and then IMLosCabos to work through before IMChoo. I keep coming back for the energy that exists throughout race morning, especially on the beach before the start, and the amazing frenzy at the finish. Sometimes I wish I were one of the folks who could do one IM race and move on, but I'm addicted. I don't have much advice to give except how manage arthritic knees well enough to keep sneaking in under the cutoffs - the 16:30 limit for this race is similar to European IM races where the time cutoff is 16 hours, and with the relatively flat bike and current assisted swim should not pose a significant barrier.

Holey moley! #15?! Very impressive!

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Originally posted by exnavydoc Hey all, Joe (57) from Groveland Florida here. I'm hoping to continue a long string of 15-16 hour finishes. This will be number 15 start for me at the 140.6 distance, number 10 m-dot race. Still have IMArizona and then IMLosCabos to work through before IMChoo. I keep coming back for the energy that exists throughout race morning, especially on the beach before the start, and the amazing frenzy at the finish. Sometimes I wish I were one of the folks who could do one IM race and move on, but I'm addicted. I don't have much advice to give except how manage arthritic knees well enough to keep sneaking in under the cutoffs - the 16:30 limit for this race is similar to European IM races where the time cutoff is 16 hours, and with the relatively flat bike and current assisted swim should not pose a significant barrier.
Holey moley! #15?! Very impressive!

Word!

User image

Expert
Hi All – Duane here from SW Florida. Started running when I was 49 and did my first marathon at 50, Disney of course. After 3 years of only running and doing the Disney Goofy race twice I decided to start doing tri’s as I just got tired of just running. I was very lucky that I hooked up with a local team. We swim on Monday, swim and track on Wednesday and long ride on Saturday. Makes training so much more fun. Some folks get together and do their long runs on Sunday but I sleep in and run on my own. I am now hooked more for the people than for the sport.

I’ve completed numerous sprints and olys, 8 HIM and 2 full IM. I did IMFL in 2011 as my first (13:19) and was going to do a different IM race in 2012 but we had 15 from our team sign up for IMFL 2012 so I just had to do it again. For Chattanooga we have 8 of us signed up. About 4 more couldn’t get in. I took off this year from a full as I just needed a break. I did New Orleans 70.3, Florida 70.3 and will be doing Austin 70.3 at the end of Oct. Much more pleasant year training.

We had planned IMAZ for 2014 but when Chattanooga was announced we all switched since it seems like a great location and we can drive up which makes it much easier. I won’t start seriously focusing on this race until after Florida 70.3 in April. But by then I’ll have a good base and just need to ramp up a bit more. My goal is sub 13 hours but not too worried if I don’t hit it. The beauty of living in Florida is we never really stop training - outside. December is a bit lower mileage but come January we start right back up.

For the last 2 I hired our team coach to put together a specific plan for me. Not sure about this one. I've done 2 so far so I am thinking I can put together my own plan. We'll see.
enjoy

Edited by Duanerice 2013-09-10 8:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI

Hi, all!

I'm Erin from Traverse City, MI.  This will be IM #3 for me.  My first was the inagural St George in 2010 (which was awesome.  I'm so disappointed it's no longer a 140.6).  Two years later I found myself in Coeur d'Alene and I hadn't planned on doing another quite yet but with the annoucement of Choo I had to sign up because I have family there and have never been there for a visit. I figured it was time.

My IMs seem to tag along with major life events.  I started dating a friend just before IMSG.  He an I got engaged just before IMCDA, we were married this past May so hopefully around IMChoo there will be a baby on the way!!! I my spare time I am a full time paramedic and am currently in school to become a dog groomer and trainer and plan on one day starting a business.

I am looking forward to the next year as will will be working on getting my weight down a little and improving my running, which is definately my weakness.  I'm undecided on training plans.  Is anyone on here a member and used the advanced IM training plan? I am wondering is the membership is worth it.  I already have access to Physical therapists, dietician, and individual sport coaches through my team. 

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 25

RELATED POSTS

Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by kwfire
Views: 30813 Posts: 235

2009-05-07 8:59 AM Project_A

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 61328 Posts: 579

2009-06-24 2:09 PM ironlib

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80

Started by B-RAD 303
Views: 173532 Posts: 1998

2009-10-15 7:16 PM Tri Sam

Ironman Canada: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by smorg
Views: 40582 Posts: 277

2009-10-01 7:20 AM LK2SKI
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: