General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hot foot issues - cleat adjustments, shoe size, pedals? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-07 10:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Subject: Hot foot issues - cleat adjustments, shoe size, pedals?

I continue to have "hot foot" riding my road bike.  I avg about 100-120 miles per week spread out over 3-4 rides.

I've recently come across some information talking about shoe size (swelling during the ride may be the difference between a good fitting shoe pre ride and a tight shoe during the ride) and pedal size (width) being avenues to look into besides the obvious one which is cleat adjusting. 

http://www.roadbikerider.com/injuries/how-solve-painful-hot-foot

I'm not quite ready to replace the shoes or pedals (mainly budgetary) until I know I've done the cleat adjusting correctly.  Which brings me to a question I've always wanted to ask. 

Where should I feel the contact point during a powerful downstroke?  Where should I feel contact during the normal ideal cadence that involves power throughout the pedal revolution?   

Based on where the hotspots are located, in my mind I felt moving the cleat further back on the shoe would put more of my foot on the pedal vs. the cleat being further up the shoe placing the contact more on the toes thereby fatiging my arch etc..

The link I posted mentioned a corresponding seat adjustment when moving the cleat back which I interestingly did before reading the information.  I felt if the cleat were further back on the shoe I'd need the seat height lowered in order for my stroke to be comfortable..

Interestingly the seat adjustment cured some hip/quad/hammie issues (essentially fatigue) but the hot spots on the feet while possibly slightly better after adjusting, are still a problem..

2013-10-07 10:55 AM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Subject: RE: Hot foot issues - cleat adjustments, shoe size, pedals?

What type of pedal are you using?  Lots of folks feel the SPD/2 bolt design has a 'smallish' contact area, thus creating a hot spot.

I would also recommend some OTC shoes insoles, like Superfeet or other brand.

2013-10-07 11:04 AM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Originally posted by jeffnboise

What type of pedal are you using?  Lots of folks feel the SPD/2 bolt design has a 'smallish' contact area, thus creating a hot spot.

I started out using the smaller SPD pedals and was always fighting hot spots.  I solved it by switching to the larger SPD-SL pedals.

I've also got a fairly wide foot and had to try several brands of shoes to find one that fit comfortably.   

Mark

2013-10-07 11:15 AM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Currently I'm using 105's....Was using LOOKs before which I recollect were fine or much better.

I have incredibly wide feet, however I'm struggling to understand how the swelling in my feet would create hot spots on the bottom instead of the toes??  In my mind I associate the hot spots with point of contact..

As for inserts, I have full custom orthotics that I wear in my regular shoes and running shoes.  They fit in my bike shoes (full carbon soles) but they are a bit snug... And I'd say the hot spots aren't really any different with or without the insoles..

2013-10-07 11:17 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Originally posted by RedCorvette

I started out using the smaller SPD pedals and was always fighting hot spots.  I solved it by switching to the larger SPD-SL pedals.

I've also got a fairly wide foot and had to try several brands of shoes to find one that fit comfortably.   

Mark

My LBS "fit" me to the shoes I have and I remember the salesperson mentioning they don't pay attention to normal shoe sizes for bike shoes because of swelling...The shoes feel great for the first 15 miles, then slowly but surely the hot spots come on...

2013-10-07 11:48 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Originally posted by TriMike
Originally posted by RedCorvette

Mark

My LBS "fit" me to the shoes I have and I remember the salesperson mentioning they don't pay attention to normal shoe sizes for bike shoes because of swelling...The shoes feel great for the first 15 miles, then slowly but surely the hot spots come on...

FWIW, I bought a pair of Louis Garneau road shoes earlier this year and love them.  They're the most comfortable shoes I've worn by far.  I did play with my cleat position a few months ago; I moved them back a bit to take some stress off my Achilles tendons.

I've also got a a pair of Lake tri shoes. I haven't had any problems with them either, but I haven't worn them for training or racing for anything beyond Oly distance.

Mark

2013-10-07 6:32 PM

User image

I'll start with a disclaimer: I ride with MTB pedals (Crank Brothers Candy and Egg Beaters), even on the road bike, although that's going to change soon.

I was getting numbness in my toes, and, after enough saddle time, hot spots at the contact point. so I moved the cleats back. Haven't yet ridden enough to truly test whether it solved the problem, but it seems to have helped. Before, the cleats were right at the ball of my foot, now they're a bit behind,

My first ride after moving the cleats was on the road bike and, yes, I immediately felt my saddle was too high. It needed to drop about half an inch, the same amount I moved the cleat.

Other info that might be useful: I have Specialized Expert MTB shoes with carbon soles. Yes, I wish I had gone a size up. I have been fitted, and as a result have inserts in my shoes and a shim in one. Will be trying some Shimano road shoes next, not sure on which pedals - Time, Look or Shimano.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hot foot issues - cleat adjustments, shoe size, pedals? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Foot pain on bike ......cleat adjustment?

Started by FELTGood
Views: 523 Posts: 2

2011-08-27 12:23 PM chris-alfonso

How does your cycling shoe size compare to your running shoe size

Started by Jason N
Views: 17230 Posts: 17

2010-08-16 1:08 PM jeng

noobie to tri-bikesL pedals, cleats, and shoes can become expensive

Started by scrappy62
Views: 1376 Posts: 20

2008-04-18 4:33 PM bvfrompc

Need cleat/pedal adjustment help ASAP!

Started by OldAg92
Views: 1232 Posts: 8

2006-04-10 7:59 AM vortmax

Do I need cleats, pedals & shoes

Started by taskeri
Views: 972 Posts: 8

2004-08-13 3:52 PM ginger ninja
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 23, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.

date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?
date : September 16, 2010
comments : 1
Everytime I up my run mileage I get injured. As I train I seem to inevitably get pulled calves, IT band syndrome then achilles issues. What can I do?

date : February 6, 2010
The correct cleat orientation and float for a rider is dependent on their individual foot, pedaling mechanics, and cleat position.
date : January 8, 2010
How do I know if my cleats need to be adjusted? And how do you know in which direction to adjust them? I have been having medial knee pain and edema but my LBS says the cleat placement is fine.

date : September 9, 2008
What is your opinion on cleat position? Is there a general rule that you follow when you first fit an athlete?
date : December 7, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 1
By becoming more aware of your pedal stroke, you can choose to manipulate where and how you activate your leg muscles as your foot traces the circular trajectory at the cranks.

date : July 30, 2006
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.