Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The Biggest Loser - October 2013 - Discussion: There will be spoilers! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-12-16 12:36 PM
in reply to: DeVinci13

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: The Biggest Loser - October 2013 - Discussion: There will be spoilers!

Minor rant - Biggest Loser branded veggies (fresh), ie carrots and tomatoes.  Why?  I suppose there are people who will buy carrots packaged in a BL bag over a store brand bag but really, why?  Do they truly think people who don't usually eat carrots will suddenly buy them since it has Biggest Loser plastered on the front?

2013-12-16 12:55 PM
in reply to: melbo55

Master
Memphis, TN
Subject: RE: The Biggest Loser - October 2013 - Discussion: There will be spoilers!
Originally posted by melbo55

Minor rant - Biggest Loser branded veggies (fresh), ie carrots and tomatoes.  Why?  I suppose there are people who will buy carrots packaged in a BL bag over a store brand bag but really, why?  Do they truly think people who don't usually eat carrots will suddenly buy them since it has Biggest Loser plastered on the front?

Whatever gets people eating real food again, especially fresh veggies is a good thing IMO. To many advertising is everything so if the packaging and brand make them stop and think about what they are eating that's good.
2013-12-30 10:17 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Yes it is silly, but hey, if someone will actually eat it, then great! 

This season is ... blah. It's fine, but not exciting at all. It is nice they only have a red line now and no voting people off. So that's good.  

2013-12-30 2:06 PM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Champion
Calgary
Excellent, another chance for someone to make it back on the show!
2013-12-30 3:10 PM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by BigDH Excellent, another chance for someone to make it back on the show!

Well you know... they have to find a way to get Reuben back on!  

Otherwise, the Subway placement is annoying. Oh look... breakfast in bed... SUBWAY! Ha! What's new though? 

2014-01-03 9:20 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Just read the very first post...didn't realize they cut it down to an hour...or I would have tried to keep up!  Dang, probably too late in the season to try to catch up.

Oh well...maybe next season.

2014-01-03 10:57 AM
in reply to: jldicarlo

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by jldicarlo

Just read the very first post...didn't realize they cut it down to an hour...or I would have tried to keep up!  Dang, probably too late in the season to try to catch up.

Eh, it's not too late. You know they do practically a whole recap at the start of each episode. AND they have been off the air for 2... or is it 3 weeks? 

2014-01-03 12:07 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by KSH

Originally posted by jldicarlo

Eh, it's not too late. You know they do practically a whole recap at the start of each episode. AND they have been off the air for 2... or is it 3 weeks? 

And they are having a BL triathlon!

2014-01-08 10:12 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

I am really looking forward to the triathlon portion. I wish they would start showing some of their training for the 3 events. I wonder if it is going to be a sprint tri or, fingers crossed, something longer? I would like to see them do at least olympic distance.

I was, and still am, cheering for Jay. But, after this weeks 4 pound loss I think he is getting pretty close to the point where he doesn't have much left to lose. He looks really good and he is probably close to his ideal weight. It will be pretty much impossible for him to win. He has to continue to lose 5+ pounds each week for the next 4-5 weeks to stay at the ranch and that will put him in the low 170's or high 160's and I just think that is too skinny for him.

I like Rachel as well, I hope she ultimately wins.

Dwayne
2014-01-08 12:51 PM
in reply to: DeVinci13

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I'm looking forward to the tri as well. This two hour episode was looooong. Two weigh ins, and so many product placement commercials! Yogurt anyone? Didn't mind seeing Bobby come back.

2014-01-09 1:48 PM

User image

Yeah, the product placements are getting really annoying. But, I guess this is how TV is going. Too many people are PVRing the shows and skipping commercials or downloading the show so advertisers are not getting the viewers needed. So, they are sticking products into the shows.

2014-01-10 9:45 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

I'm very excited/interested in the triathlon as well and also was pondering the possible distance.  I'm thinking it will probably be sprint or a modified, unique distance with a shorter swim and longer bike/run, maybe like sprint distance swim but Olympic distance bike/run.  Hoping they show Bobby learning to swim, and better yet, hoping Rachel teaches Bobby how to swim.

SUBWAY!  YOPLAIT!  BRITA!  PLANET FITNESS!  Use our products!  No Jennie Lee turkey spots this year so far.

2014-01-15 2:15 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

I'm very excited/interested in the triathlon as well and also was pondering the possible distance.  I'm thinking it will probably be sprint or a modified, unique distance with a shorter swim and longer bike/run, maybe like sprint distance swim but Olympic distance bike/run.  Hoping they show Bobby learning to swim, and better yet, hoping Rachel teaches Bobby how to swim.

SUBWAY!  YOPLAIT!  BRITA!  PLANET FITNESS!  Use our products!  No Jennie Lee turkey spots this year so far.

I LOL'ed when Bobby said, "they have had a whole WEEK to train!" 

Looks like their marketing is working!  

2014-01-15 2:18 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

The 2-hour episode was long. I have realized though that when it is only 1 hour I don't even know who some people are! They showed one lady (the blond) on the show weighing in and I thought "who is she?" Ha! 

Otherwise, I wish they would pick contestants who didn't have 200+ pounds to lose. I want to be wow'ed when someone loses 100 lbs. Not think "they still look HUGE!" 

2014-01-20 9:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

And this week they didn't disappoint - Jennie-O (not Lee as I mis-stated previously) turkey product pitch! (<--sarcasm)  Still no specific tri training showing up that I've seen other than spin bike riding.  Hmm, now I'm wondering if they will have a gym-based tri: swim in the pool, then do the spin bike and treadmill for bike and run.  I hope not.

Edited by melbo55 2014-01-20 9:52 AM
2014-01-20 12:25 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Looks like the triathlon will be on next week's show on 1/28 and I must say the mile swim surprises me:

LAST FIVE PLAYERS COMPETE IN THE SHOW'S FIRST EVER SPRINT TRIATHLON TO WIN A GUARANTEED SPOT AS A FINALIST - AND A BRAND NEW CAR - The stakes are higher than ever when the five final players compete in a "Biggest Loser" first -- a sprint triathlon, requiring them to swim a mile, bike 12 miles and run three miles. The triathlon winner will secure a coveted spot as a finalist, as well as a brand new Ford Fusion.

2014-01-20 2:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ARLINGTON
This is a bit surprising. I really thought they'd do an Olympic distance race. I mean, come on...they've done marathons in the past! This doesn't make sense to me.
2014-01-21 6:08 AM

Extreme Veteran

Looks like the triathlon will be on next week's show on 1/28 and I must say the mile swim surprises me:

LAST FIVE PLAYERS COMPETE IN THE SHOW'S FIRST EVER SPRINT TRIATHLON TO WIN A GUARANTEED SPOT AS A FINALIST - AND A BRAND NEW CAR - The stakes are higher than ever when the five final players compete in a "Biggest Loser" first -- a sprint triathlon, requiring them to swim a mile, bike 12 miles and run three miles. The triathlon winner will secure a coveted spot as a finalist, as well as a brand new Ford Fusion.

Something is off with those distances - I think the swim is wrong - it is longer than an Oly swim. (I realize you are probably pulling the quote from somewhere). Although with people who cannot swim and are almost never shown in the pool, a mile swim could give the show back some of the drama it has been missing.
2014-01-21 11:41 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

My best take-away this week was that Lolo is on the US bobsled team!!!!!!

2014-01-21 1:34 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City

Its all they sell at my local Grocery Store is the BL branded carrots lol
2014-01-21 1:41 PM
in reply to: bwingate

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Originally posted by bwingate

Something is off with those distances - I think the swim is wrong - it is longer than an Oly swim. (I realize you are probably pulling the quote from somewhere). Although with people who cannot swim and are almost never shown in the pool, a mile swim could give the show back some of the drama it has been missing.

I am excited to see the triathlon and I think Rachel will wind up winning it. I dont see anyone even coming close to beating her. With that said, did anyone catch the exercises they were doing at the Olympic Training Center and outside at Park City??? I kind of want to rant right now because all I saw was horrible, horrible form!! The "burpees" they were doing with Apollo were not burpees at all. Rachel was not even dropping to the ground, just keeping her butt in the air and moving her legs back like a foot and then hoping up. When they were doing the sets with Bob outside, I saw no good KB swings, they were just swinging the KB between their legs. Squats were horrible and so were some other things from a form perspective.

OK, Rant over.. But in all seriousness, shouldnt the trainers see this poor form and correct it? Or do you think they were all so exhausted that form just broke down and the trainers correcting them just never made it to TV? I find it hard to believe that those 3 top notch trainers would teach someone to do exercises the wrong way but I would have loved to see them tell the contestants to start over because they were not doing the exercises right.

2014-01-22 11:01 AM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by dmbfan4life20
Originally posted by bwingate

I am excited to see the triathlon and I think Rachel will wind up winning it. I dont see anyone even coming close to beating her. With that said, did anyone catch the exercises they were doing at the Olympic Training Center and outside at Park City??? I kind of want to rant right now because all I saw was horrible, horrible form!! The "burpees" they were doing with Apollo were not burpees at all. Rachel was not even dropping to the ground, just keeping her butt in the air and moving her legs back like a foot and then hoping up. When they were doing the sets with Bob outside, I saw no good KB swings, they were just swinging the KB between their legs. Squats were horrible and so were some other things from a form perspective. OK, Rant over.. But in all seriousness, shouldnt the trainers see this poor form and correct it? Or do you think they were all so exhausted that form just broke down and the trainers correcting them just never made it to TV? I find it hard to believe that those 3 top notch trainers would teach someone to do exercises the wrong way but I would have loved to see them tell the contestants to start over because they were not doing the exercises right.

I often think the same thing when I see bad form, especially with the burpees as you mentioned.  Sometimes I wonder if it is because the contestants are still on the larger side and it's not as easy to do the exercises but not all of them have that 'excuse' in my mind.

2014-01-22 11:44 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I was yelling at the TV... "THOSE ARE NOT BURPEES!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I remember in a prior season one of the contestants talking about how many burpees Bob makes them do. Well if they look like that they're not Burpees!

2014-01-23 12:30 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

OK, so the triathlon episode will be next week, 1/28.  Why have we seen zero swim training, especially from Bobby, nor any other tri specific workouts?  I guess I shouldn't gripe since I don't recall them showing much of marathon training sessions, either, but still I thought they'd show something.  Swimming a mile to a newbie or inexperienced or out of practice swimmer is no joke.  I wonder if this is foreshadowing of a new venture for the Biggest Loser brand - they already have 5Ks and marathons, perhaps they will be delving into triathlon as well?

2014-01-23 12:49 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

OK, so the triathlon episode will be next week, 1/28.  Why have we seen zero swim training, especially from Bobby, nor any other tri specific workouts?  I guess I shouldn't gripe since I don't recall them showing much of marathon training sessions, either, but still I thought they'd show something.  Swimming a mile to a newbie or inexperienced or out of practice swimmer is no joke.  I wonder if this is foreshadowing of a new venture for the Biggest Loser brand - they already have 5Ks and marathons, perhaps they will be delving into triathlon as well?

Could be. Jillian did a tri last summer. I wonder if she did because BL was starting or if BL got the idea from her. I hope they show a lot of tri footage, probly not though. More psycho-babble no doubt. I liked the makeovers. These seemed more dramatic than prior seasons.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The Biggest Loser - October 2013 - Discussion: There will be spoilers! Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Biggest Loser 11/17 - Spoilers! Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by moondawg14
Views: 4672 Posts: 94

2009-11-26 11:50 PM tjh

Biggest Loser 11/10 - Spoilers! Pages: 1 2 3

Started by rnner66
Views: 2885 Posts: 53

2009-11-17 2:50 AM SpottedCow

Biggest Loser 11-3 SPOILER ALERT Pages: 1 2

Started by dodgersmom
Views: 2335 Posts: 34

2009-11-09 9:51 AM Magnum27

Biggest Loser Finale - SPOILERS Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by lisac957
Views: 5186 Posts: 93

2009-05-15 10:50 AM mellymedic

Biggest Loser 11/26/08 SPOILERS

Started by Fatdoggy
Views: 1147 Posts: 11

2008-11-26 5:25 PM Spokes
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011

date : May 26, 2011
author : gdsemiller
comments : 14
Towards the end of December 2010 both my daughter and son came up to me and said “Daddy we want you to get healthy and not die."
date : March 4, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 20
Many people have been asking my opinion of this popular show, so I feel obliged to scream out: It's terrible! It’s horrible! It's abusive! I also feel like throwing my shoe at the TV.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : April 2, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on muscular endurance training, transitioning between distances, big hill training and bricks.
date : January 1, 2006
author : browncd
comments : 1
Trials on getting a bike that fits while also being reliable

date : May 16, 2005
author : AMSSM
Discussions on base training, intensity training, peaking and tapering, racing and competition and recovery and restoration.