General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PSA: Wrenching Skills Challenge Jan 15- March 1st Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-11-07 11:01 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: PSA: Wrenching Skills Challenge Jan 15- March 1st

WOW!  There are a lot of you with some really cool projects and a lot of know-how.  It looks like we'll have a good knowledge base to draw from as we take on our respective projects--AWESOME!

A question for the experienced wrenchers: What basic tools should we have on hand to tackle bike projects? Jason gave a pretty extensive list, but I don't know enough about what is needed and what isn't, and what tools will be bike brand/component specific. Thanks :)

2013-11-07 11:05 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
finishing up on my CR1... needed more carbon

(bottombracket.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
bottombracket.jpg (1847KB - 0 downloads)
2013-11-07 11:59 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Originally posted by switch

WOW!  There are a lot of you with some really cool projects and a lot of know-how.  It looks like we'll have a good knowledge base to draw from as we take on our respective projects--AWESOME!

A question for the experienced wrenchers: What basic tools should we have on hand to tackle bike projects? Jason gave a pretty extensive list, but I don't know enough about what is needed and what isn't, and what tools will be bike brand/component specific. Thanks

First, you need tire tools -- tire levers and pump (with a gage, preferably).

It's amazing just how much you can do on a bike with just 4, 5, and 6mm allen wrenches. These are the most-used tools on any bike bench. Beyond that, I'd go to spoke wrench, pedal wrench, cone wrenches, adjustable wrench, cassette lockring tool and chain whip. Then add cable cutters and cable end crimpers (I use needle nose pliers for this). If you're running threaded steerers on your forks with quill stems, then add a 32mm headset wrench. If you're running outboard bearing bottom brackets, then the appropriate tool for that instead. If you're running square-taper bottom brackets, then a crankarm extractor, lockring spanner, pin spanner, and fixed cup tool. If you replace the freehub with any regularity, a 10mm LONG allen wrench. Then go to a truing stand, and if you're REALLY ambitious, frame-, derailleur hanger-,  and dropout alignment tools, along with head-tube bearing extractors and presses, crown race removers and drivers.

And if you're utterly crazy, bottom bracket facer/chaser, headtube reamers, and seat tube reamers. But by then you're building your bikes from a pile of tubes and strange-shaped metal bits...

Edited by briderdt 2013-11-07 12:02 PM
2013-11-07 12:21 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Originally posted by briderdt

It's amazing just how much you can do on a bike with just 4, 5, and 6mm allen wrenches. These are the most-used tools on any bike bench. Beyond that, I'd go to spoke wrench, pedal wrench, cone wrenches, adjustable wrench, cassette lockring tool and chain whip. Then add cable cutters and cable end crimpers (I use needle nose pliers for this).

To this basic list I would add a torque wrench (especially if you're working with carbon. Too much torque on a bolt can ruin your day. Of course, you'll need the set of hex bits to go with it, but you'll want those anyway - sometimes the T-handle hex wrenches don't give you enough leverage, especially on pedals and cranks. The other thing is a good stand. It's amazing how much easier a stand makes working on (or just cleaning) a bike. Harbor Freight is a good source for inexpensive T-handle hex wrenches, bits and torque wrench - you'll pay three to five times as much if you get the same stuff from Park or Pedro's. Bike-specific tools you'll have to go with Park et al.

The only thing I've taken my bike to the LBS for recently is changing suspension bearings and wheel work – both require (or are much easier with) specialized tools I don't have. Another option if you have one nearby is a bike co-op or something similar. Here in Orange County, Calif., we have OC Bike Garage. They'll do the wrenching for you, but they also have rental work areas with all the specialized tools such as headset and BB presses.

Finally, I'll add that for me working on bikes is a close second to actually riding them. It's relaxing and therapeutic. Especially with a good beer within reach. Ignore that last comment if your training regimen precludes it. You'll save money in the long run and, most importantly, reduce downtime on your bikes that you can't ride them.
2013-11-07 3:26 PM
in reply to: rjames91

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by rjames91
Originally posted by briderdt

It's amazing just how much you can do on a bike with just 4, 5, and 6mm allen wrenches. These are the most-used tools on any bike bench. Beyond that, I'd go to spoke wrench, pedal wrench, cone wrenches, adjustable wrench, cassette lockring tool and chain whip. Then add cable cutters and cable end crimpers (I use needle nose pliers for this).

To this basic list I would add a torque wrench (especially if you're working with carbon. Too much torque on a bolt can ruin your day. Of course, you'll need the set of hex bits to go with it, but you'll want those anyway - sometimes the T-handle hex wrenches don't give you enough leverage, especially on pedals and cranks. The other thing is a good stand. It's amazing how much easier a stand makes working on (or just cleaning) a bike. Harbor Freight is a good source for inexpensive T-handle hex wrenches, bits and torque wrench - you'll pay three to five times as much if you get the same stuff from Park or Pedro's. Bike-specific tools you'll have to go with Park et al. The only thing I've taken my bike to the LBS for recently is changing suspension bearings and wheel work – both require (or are much easier with) specialized tools I don't have. Another option if you have one nearby is a bike co-op or something similar. Here in Orange County, Calif., we have OC Bike Garage. They'll do the wrenching for you, but they also have rental work areas with all the specialized tools such as headset and BB presses. Finally, I'll add that for me working on bikes is a close second to actually riding them. It's relaxing and therapeutic. Especially with a good beer within reach. Ignore that last comment if your training regimen precludes it. You'll save money in the long run and, most importantly, reduce downtime on your bikes that you can't ride them.

Lots of good stuff here.  Thanks Dave and rjames.

I expect wrenching to be somewhat similar to golf and darts for me-- I'm much better with one or two beers on board; five or six, and I should probably step away from the tools:)

2013-11-07 6:05 PM
in reply to: tech_geezer

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Originally posted by tech_geezer

I may have something that may be interesting to this group.  I am working on a Wheel Truing Algorithm.  It may be ready by January for beta testing.  The idea is that the user measures the difference from round in a truing stand using dial indicators for radial and lateral displacement, measures the spoke tension using a meter of some sort (I like the iPhone Spoke Tension Meter app.),  and inputs the data into a computer.  The truing algorithm calculates the number of turns of each spoke to bring the wheel to true and equally tensioned.  The algorithm is based on a structural model the wheel that simultaneously solve bending equations for the the rim laterally and radial  and a model of stretching the spokes.  It is some very cool math and physics. 

I think this model will help beginning professional wheel builders and do-it-yourselfer get a feel for how much to turn a spoke to get the wheel truer each time rather that out in a different direction.  It lowers the skill level required to produce a really well-built wheel. 

The model works and I have tried it on one wheel.  The first sample was a wheel that was bent in an accident so it was not a great candidate.  The algorithm told me that the tension in the spokes would be too high to get the wheel true.  This was exactly what happened.  I need to set up to do some more wheels.

Here are some pictures of my setup.

The top picture is a cardboard protractor that I slip over the spoke with a pointer attached to the spoke wrench.  I also clip a paper clip to the spoke so I can see how much the spoke twists.  

The middle picture is the Spoke Tension Meter app.  It works by detecting the frequency of the plucked spoke and converting the frequency to tension.  It works pretty well.  By that I mean that the measurement is reproducible.  I don't have any way to calibrate against a standard.  Reproducible is probably most important for building wheels.  It reads about 10% higher consistently than a Park Tension Meter.   

The bottom picture is my truing stand with digital dial indictors replacing the Park mechanical dial indictors.  I can read down to .01 mm.  Having the digital readings rather than a big dial and one or two small dials to combine is much easier.

I have a very lengthy paper on the mathematical method for the truing algorithm for anyone who is interested.  70 pages mostly equations.

The computer program currently runs under a freeware program called Scilab that is very similar to Matlab.  It is only 3 pages.

TW

Skeptically watching his thread. In theory, you're right. But in practice, wheel building and truing is a feel and and softer art then pure mathematics.

2013-11-07 6:08 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Originally posted by audiojan

I'm working on 3 bikes right now… My wife has an Orbea Orca Dama that is being built up with Campy Record (10 speed stuff), this was a warranty replacement for a frame that broke. She also having her dream bike built up, a Parlee Z5SLi that I'm building up with all kinds of goodies and Campy Super Record EPS. The third bike will be a Parlee TT. I had lots of injuries last year and decided to sell my tri bike (just couldn't ride it enough) and then I got a great opportunity to get a Parlee TT (medium tall) with full Di2, that's slowly being assembled.

I've built up every single bike we have/had (total of 18 bikes…) so I do have the skills and tools to do it. The only thing I have not been working on in the past is Campy EPS, but now I have all the tools for that as well.

I lust after your wife's bike. Is that wrong?
2013-11-07 6:16 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

Originally posted by Jason N
Originally posted by axteraa

Funny you mention all that and one of the few things I have done myself is re-cable my bike.  Shifter cables that is, not the brakes.  Maybe the brakes will be my project.

Yeah, it doesn't seem that difficult at all. I think the biggest hurdle for me is that I don't have cables or housings on hand. I have to go to my LBS to get them, so it's just easier if I drop it off (they usually do it for me for free). But if I can buy a bunch of cables and housing to store at home, then it should be something I can do myself. The tricky thing for me seems to be trimming the housings to the right length. I know you can just measure based off the existing housings, but what if you're swapping out your cockpit and your cables run differently? I'd at least like to know what the typical protocol is for knowing if your housing is too long/short or just right. I know once I had my cables changed and they made the cable/housing too short for the front derailleur. When I packed my bike in my car and turned the handlebars 90 degrees, the cable would pull and shift the FD.

The Goldie Locks zone is this:    Long enough for the front wheel to  rotate for normal steering but short enough to produce no kinks or get in the way of handling. .    It's a Zen art.   Done this now for a couple of bikes.    

2013-11-07 6:20 PM

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

Originally posted by switch

A question for the experienced wrenchers: What basic tools should we have on hand to tackle bike projects? Jason gave a pretty extensive list, but I don't know enough about what is needed and what isn't, and what tools will be bike brand/component specific. Thanks

One tool that is not normally found in a bicycle mechanics took kit is a Dremel tool with a cut off wheel.   It's the best tool for cutting cable and cable housing.  It goes through both like a hot knife cutting through butter.  Makes a square and clean cut. Beats the dedicated pliers hand down.

Edited by MadMathemagician 2013-11-07 6:21 PM
2013-11-07 6:48 PM

User image

Elite
Originally posted by pitt83
Originally posted by tech_geezer

I may have something that may be interesting to this group.  I am working on a Wheel Truing Algorithm.  It may be ready by January for beta testing.  The idea is that the user measures the difference from round in a truing stand using dial indicators for radial and lateral displacement, measures the spoke tension using a meter of some sort (I like the iPhone Spoke Tension Meter app.),  and inputs the data into a computer.  The truing algorithm calculates the number of turns of each spoke to bring the wheel to true and equally tensioned.  The algorithm is based on a structural model the wheel that simultaneously solve bending equations for the the rim laterally and radial  and a model of stretching the spokes.  It is some very cool math and physics. 

I think this model will help beginning professional wheel builders and do-it-yourselfer get a feel for how much to turn a spoke to get the wheel truer each time rather that out in a different direction.  It lowers the skill level required to produce a really well-built wheel. 

The model works and I have tried it on one wheel.  The first sample was a wheel that was bent in an accident so it was not a great candidate.  The algorithm told me that the tension in the spokes would be too high to get the wheel true.  This was exactly what happened.  I need to set up to do some more wheels.

Here are some pictures of my setup.

The top picture is a cardboard protractor that I slip over the spoke with a pointer attached to the spoke wrench.  I also clip a paper clip to the spoke so I can see how much the spoke twists.  

The middle picture is the Spoke Tension Meter app.  It works by detecting the frequency of the plucked spoke and converting the frequency to tension.  It works pretty well.  By that I mean that the measurement is reproducible.  I don't have any way to calibrate against a standard.  Reproducible is probably most important for building wheels.  It reads about 10% higher consistently than a Park Tension Meter.   

The bottom picture is my truing stand with digital dial indictors replacing the Park mechanical dial indictors.  I can read down to .01 mm.  Having the digital readings rather than a big dial and one or two small dials to combine is much easier.

I have a very lengthy paper on the mathematical method for the truing algorithm for anyone who is interested.  70 pages mostly equations.

The computer program currently runs under a freeware program called Scilab that is very similar to Matlab.  It is only 3 pages.

TW

Skeptically watching his thread. In theory, you're right. But in practice, wheel building and truing is a feel and and softer art then pure mathematics.
A bicycle wheel is a linearly elastic structure. What makes that soft science? It is a very solvable mathematical problem and I solved it. Measurements of displacement and tension are highly accurate using digital devices. Control of the input is the last obstacle. I solved that with some monitoring tools for spoke twist and angle of the spoke nipple. The problem is solved.

Edited by tech_geezer 2013-11-07 6:50 PM
2013-11-08 11:59 AM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

One tool that is not normally found in a bicycle mechanics took kit is a Dremel tool with a cut off wheel.   It's the best tool for cutting cable and cable housing.  It goes through both like a hot knife cutting through butter.  Makes a square and clean cut. Beats the dedicated pliers hand down.

I'm glad that method works for some people - I tried it and failed miserably. Maybe my cutoff wheel wasn't good enough. But I've had more success with a pair of dedicated Park cable cutters.

2014-01-13 6:54 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Hi Everyone!

I am afraid I am not going to be able to start on this challenge on the 15th.  My family returned from vacation yesterday to find that our pipes had burst in our house.  I'm not going to be able to live in my house for some time, and I'm afraid my extra energy will need to be directed to other things.

I hope that those of you who expressed interest in doing this challenge still go ahead! I will certainly be following your posts if you do. There is an active wrenching skills thread in the challenge forum, and I know Chris is ready to go:)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PSA: Wrenching Skills Challenge Jan 15- March 1st Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Oct 15-Nov 15 "Triathlete's Guide to Training with Power" Book Club

Started by switch
Views: 1325 Posts: 6

2013-10-15 11:30 AM msteiner

1st "long run" in 15 years today

Started by kagoscuba
Views: 1039 Posts: 10

2009-02-01 7:33 PM ChrisM

1st Century Ride in 15 years

Started by Blacktoe
Views: 578 Posts: 4

2005-05-02 3:40 AM vmr719

Tuesday, March 15

Started by Renee
Views: 1068 Posts: 22

2005-03-15 11:08 PM NYtrigal

Tuesday March 1st

Started by tplauche
Views: 881 Posts: 18

2005-03-01 8:00 PM Tizzy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 12, 2012
author : TheClaaaw
comments : 4
A back of back of packer feels sympathy for the vast middle of the pack who never gets nearly as many cheers.

date : March 10, 2010
author : jgoss47
comments : 3
Recent college graduate struggling to lose the freshman 15 signs up for first triathlon.
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 0
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.
date : September 3, 2006
author : morgoth7
comments : 1
My 1st triathlon, Xterra and the mess I made of myself. This wasn’t your regular triathlon, it was off-road.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.
date : March 5, 2006
author : chrisandniki
A distillate of March happenings regarding races, workshops, products and news.

date : November 27, 2005
author : AMSSM
Try to view your injury as another athletic challenge and an opportunity for personal learning and growth. Identify the skills that help you succeed as an athlete.