General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm (really) nervous about my upcoming marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-11-13 6:06 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Subject: I'm (really) nervous about my upcoming marathon

This is the most nervous I've been about a marathon.

I think it's because -- and I know sounds backwards -- I've had a great season this year and I've put in the training and the weather is going to be perfect. If I eff up, it's my own fault. I'm afraid I won't hit my goal (3:45 - 3:50). I know that it's just a race, but it's a race I've worked hard to prepare for it and I'll be wrecked (I know, it sounds a wee bit dramatic) if I don't PR.

I think some of this might be taper madness

(and also because we'd like to expand our family and this is last "hurrah" before giving H a sibling...)

Edited by trishie 2013-11-13 6:08 PM

2013-11-13 6:45 PM
in reply to: trishie

Subject: RE: I'm (really) nervous about my upcoming marathon
Taper madness?

Nah

You want to improve and you have to believe YOU can do that PB, not be awake all the night before the race aligning all stars and things you want to be perfect for you to run that PB.
You're an experienced athlete and your head and body will stop the clock at 3hrs 40m

I'm scared and I've never even raced. Ever. Never. But it doesn't make me feel off as yet. I just need to get fit for triathlons.

So be confident, rock solid confident.
2013-11-13 6:51 PM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
It's taper madness. I've definitely been there!

You've. Got. This. You've had a great year and your training has been super consistent. Just don't go out too fast!
2013-11-13 7:30 PM
in reply to: meggfishy

User image

You got to trust your training. Go over your game plan for the run and get your mind focused on your strategy.
2013-11-13 8:28 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Yup. Taper madness!!!  As well as some excitement about the next phase coming up in your life........

You've done all of the training - trust in this, and enjoy it!!!

2013-11-13 8:58 PM
in reply to: velcromom

Sounds like typical taper silliness. Develop a plan and execute it. If you've done the training, that's all you can do.

2013-11-14 5:18 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by trishie

I think it's because -- and I know sounds backwards -- I've had a great season this year and I've put in the training and the weather is going to be perfect. If I eff up, it's my own fault. I'm afraid I won't hit my goal (3:45 - 3:50). I know that it's just a race, but it's a race I've worked hard to prepare for it and I'll be wrecked (I know, it sounds a wee bit dramatic) if I don't PR.

(and also because we'd like to expand our family and this is last "hurrah" before giving H a sibling...)

Do you have a pacing plan? if you do just follow it and trust it, if your too nervous on raceday you might come out too strong too early, i have seen it happen all the time most of the time if your running with halfs going for sub 2s.
2013-11-14 5:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
You should be - it's a long way and running marathons sucks! ;-)

Sounds like taper syndrome to me. Trust your training, relax and let it rip on race day and come back here afterward and brag about your well deserved PR!

Edited by Patrick E 2013-11-14 5:50 AM
2013-11-14 6:09 AM
in reply to: Patrick E

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Get with the pace group for your goal time, most of the pacers are experienced and will be right on the number for much of the day, prepare yourself for that last 10K when it gets tough and have fun.

2013-11-14 6:42 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Just think of it as a 26 mile kick to the finish!

I'll start the predictions, 3:44:51!

Best of luck trishie, we know you can do it!

2013-11-14 7:51 AM

User image

Elite

My dear, you know what you gotta do, trust in the training. Don't put so much pressure on yourself.  No fear of failure--you have plenty of time even after H gets a sibling!  Be awesome! Be great!

2013-11-14 8:42 AM
in reply to: turtlegirl

User image

Melon Presser

CAKE!

Don't chase the carrot, chase CAKE on the 2nd half ... the faster you go, cutting close to your lower goal time, the sooner you get to cutting and eating CAKE! Look to maximize your fun; revel in the exuberance of being so fully alive and moving and breathing and celebrating in motion. So that you may celebrate with CAKE.

And a good-luck {MELON PRESS}.

2013-11-14 9:00 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Trishie,

It's OK to be nervous. There is a reason we have to show up and actually RACE and not just take credit for hypothetical finishes.

I haven't checked your logs, but as you've said, you've had a great season, so you are running well and feeling good.

You can think of the race having two outcomes:

1) You hit your goal time. And??? Does this qualify you for Boston? If so, are you running Boston? It does validate your goal and ability to prepare for a goal (i.e. train) (Does running Boston become the next "last hurrah?")

2) You don't hit your goal time. And???? You're still healthy and fit with a son who thinks you're the best mom ever and a husband who loves you and supports your goals. You aren't losing your house or your job over not finishing within your goal time. Your job and livelihood aren't at risk because you didn't hit an arbitrary (although psychologically important) number. Yes, there will be some wounds from not achieving your goal and that may drive some other behaviors in the future. You'll probably spend some time discecting the race and strategy and what you might have done differently (and a little bit of that is good). (As an additional note, you may discect your race even if you do hit your time goal...it is what we do...) You already have a tentative future with a focus on other things that shouldn't change because you missed your goal.

2013-11-14 9:01 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Nerves show you care.

If you were not nervous then you should worry.

Nerves show that this event has real potential. PR potential.

Nerves are energy, create by your training, ready to be released.
2013-11-14 9:01 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

As everyone else is saying, just trust your training.  You've already done the hard part, now go out an enjoy yourself!

Mark

2013-11-14 9:29 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Psh - easy peasy... okay, well not entirely easy - this IS a marathon, after all - but you KNOW you can do this.  You've done the training, you've prepped with all the other races this year, now go out and have FUN!  

Ain't taper madness grand?   

2013-11-14 10:50 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Pro

Was wondering when you'd start to panic

Relax, trust your training, and have fun. You're going to be fine. Remember what I said about NOT getting sucked in with the people doing the half. When they pick it up heading back on MLK drive, that's when you need to run your race and not speed up.

And avoid the hashers giving out beer at the Manayunk Diner. We'll be meeting up with a couple of them after the race.

See you Saturday!!!!

2013-11-14 10:55 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I'm afraid of attempting my marathon goal, and I'm still a few months out.  Recently I ran a 10K, where I was trying to PR.  The weather was perfect, and the course had some hills, but they were manageable.  It was on me to execute.

I definitely know the feeling, but you just have to trust that you've put the work in and see what you can do.

2013-11-14 12:43 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Seattle

Ah. You got this. Just go out there and run your best. After all, that is all you can do! Control the controllables and let the rest go.

It's going to be fun!

2013-11-14 1:25 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Expert
New York

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

Was wondering when you'd start to panic

Relax, trust your training, and have fun. You're going to be fine. Remember what I said about NOT getting sucked in with the people doing the half. When they pick it up heading back on MLK drive, that's when you need to run your race and not speed up.

And avoid the hashers giving out beer at the Manayunk Diner. We'll be meeting up with a couple of them after the race.

See you Saturday!!!!

Ha. 1. I totally did the reverse of this a couple years ago -- I was running the half marathon and let myself to get "sucked in" with the 3:20 pace group for the full. There are some very fast people out there. Oof. Anyway, I second Brian's recommendation.

2. When I did the full in 2008 (the year of 25 degree chilliness when they had to call an audible start because the starting horn froze and you had to ice skate through the aid stations because of all the frozen gatorade) I actually DID get a dixie cup of beer at mile 20ish from a group of college students...but I wasn't having the best race that day, so it seemed like a good idea at the time. :-P 

3. You're going to do great. As some wise people on here once told me, on race day, you just drive the engine you've built. I think you've built a pretty good engine. Go see what it can do!!

Best of luck to you and have fun!!

2013-11-14 2:49 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

You should be nervous.  And excited!!!

Stay confident (remember all the prep you've done) and run your race.  Repeating what I said in the prediction thread:  Kill it! 

2013-11-14 6:39 PM

User image

Pro

is your goal based on a valid prediction from recent race performances?

have you executed the training program?

does your goal time consider course conditions/altitude, etc.?

if so, then get out there, trust your training and run your pace.  manage your hydration and nutrition, be determined and when things start to hurt, tell your body to shut up, stop complaining and keep on running. you will do this.  you will be overjoyed at your capability. 

A well run marathon is gonna' be painful.  Decide in advance how much you really want to hit that goal and how much discomfort you're willing to put up with to do it.  But your body is stronger than you think it is.  it's trained and ready.  it can do this.  you just need to make it do it.

have fun.

2013-11-14 9:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Burbs

Originally posted by morey000

is your goal based on a valid prediction from recent race performances?

have you executed the training program?

does your goal time consider course conditions/altitude, etc.?

if so, then get out there, trust your training and run your pace.  manage your hydration and nutrition, be determined and when things start to hurt, tell your body to shut up, stop complaining and keep on running. you will do this.  you will be overjoyed at your capability. 

A well run marathon is gonna' be painful.  Decide in advance how much you really want to hit that goal and how much discomfort you're willing to put up with to do it.  But your body is stronger than you think it is.  it's trained and ready.  it can do this.  you just need to make it do it.

have fun.

McMillan (and others) predict around a 3:38-3:42 marathon based on my 1:44:39 HM time from a couple of months ago (my goal is 3:45 - 3:49)

I followed Hal Higdon's Advanced I plan to a T (seriously, I never missed a workout)

Time does factor in the course/ weather/ etc.

Thanks for the good advice ^^ I will keep it in mind!!

And a big THANK YOU to everyone else who chimed in here. I can't wait for Sunday!!

Edited by trishie 2013-11-14 9:18 PM
2013-11-15 7:14 AM
in reply to: #4898199

User image

Elite
Wishing you all the best for your marathon! You're going to own that goal!
2013-11-15 9:15 AM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Gawd, I hate the taper...

That said, I LOVE THE NERVES before a race.  Being scared, committed, worried, excited, nervous, sick, a total PIA to those around me for the taper week is part of why I do this (and I'm guessing for you, too?  At least given your season, I'd wager that you dig it at least a little…  Maaaaaybe a lot.)  

Embrace it!  

Wow, I can actually feel the adrenaline just thinking about you toeing the line.    

The desire to succeed coupled with fear is a pretty powerful motivator.  Together, they'll help you wring out every last drop of speed you've banked this season - and you know that you've made lots of deposits in that account...

GO GO GO GO GO GO!

Matt

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm (really) nervous about my upcoming marathon Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Really nervous

Started by nickstanley
Views: 758 Posts: 6

2011-11-29 11:25 PM rkreuser

Nervous about upcoming race season?

Started by BamaTriGal
Views: 1463 Posts: 23

2007-02-17 4:14 PM TriForrestTri

So um, I'm getting nervous now

Started by NomadicDawn
Views: 499 Posts: 4

2005-07-08 12:43 PM Crash_Man

Getting really nervous...

Started by ODogg
Views: 646 Posts: 14

2004-09-15 1:17 PM ODogg

did it and now I'm even more nervous

Started by oiprocs1975
Views: 1806 Posts: 20

2004-09-03 6:28 PM glf33
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : May 7, 2008
author : katzchen55
comments : 3
My thanks to the triathlete community for being there when I need you. That’s the beautiful thing about triathletes. None of us are all right, and no one expects anyone else to be.
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : September 10, 2007
author : 2x4nomore
comments : 9
Description of one overweight, nervous, beginner triathlete's very first race -- a "Mini" Triathlon.
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle

date : August 30, 2004
Glassy waters greeted the nearly 600 participants for the quarter-mile swim. The 15.5-bike ride followed a beautiful course around the lake with the 5k run winding through a quiet residential area