General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Winter training - Intensity vs Quanity Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-12-03 2:57 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: RE: Winter training - Intensity vs Quanity
I think the problem here is that this abstract was inserted into a thread as support/proof that intense intervals did the same as volume. While it shows a few selected metabolic markers with similar results, it doesn't really speak to performance in any real manner. (as JohnnKay provided, they admit to such) You could swap SIT with weights, crossfit, vitamins, etc and pluck some similar results. As someone who read this thread from the start today, it seems this one study sort of morphed into the proof.

On the other hand, no one has really said that intervals are bad. So to the OP's question, I think most would agree that you can add intensity in the winter with varying levels of success. I have personally found that winter/cold + intensity = injury, so I stick to the tamer stuff, but that's not to say someone might do just fine doing them. It's just not something I would do, or at least do in any substantial amount.

TJ

2013-12-03 5:30 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
FWIW that same group at the university has looked at outcomes in other studies such as time trial speed and time to fatigue at X %age of Vo2max after 2 similar training groups trained for the study duration.

There's a lot of info out there on this stuff, but there will neve be a definitive study because it's just too short of a time span compared to months and years on end that many endurance atheltes train.

Steven Seiler has a great article at this link that everyone commenting here should read if they have not already:

Intervals, Thresholds, and Long Slow Distance: the Role of Intensity and Duration in Endurance Training. Stephen Seiler and Espen Tønnessen. Reconciling research and practice.
http://sportsci.org/2009/ss.htm

2013-12-04 7:16 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Some interesting stuff in there in regards to the 80/20 method, which I wasn't really aware of previously. I always hear the "mostly easy, sometimes hard" motto, but to have numbers associated is interesting. Is that 80/20 something that people generally follow? It seems that if you throw a more intense session in once per week you're probably close to that ratio.
2013-12-04 8:29 AM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Expert
Floriduh
without having read the article... is the 80/20 based on time or distance?
2013-12-04 8:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by jonD81

Some interesting stuff in there in regards to the 80/20 method, which I wasn't really aware of previously. I always hear the "mostly easy, sometimes hard" motto, but to have numbers associated is interesting. Is that 80/20 something that people generally follow? It seems that if you throw a more intense session in once per week you're probably close to that ratio.

Sorry, where is the 80/20 mentioned ? in one of the articles ?
2013-12-04 9:24 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by jonD81 Some interesting stuff in there in regards to the 80/20 method, which I wasn't really aware of previously. I always hear the "mostly easy, sometimes hard" motto, but to have numbers associated is interesting. Is that 80/20 something that people generally follow? It seems that if you throw a more intense session in once per week you're probably close to that ratio.

even a hard workout is broken up into percentages like this.  Sufferfest's Revolver is 65% easy and 35% hard.  No reason you can't do a workout that intense several times a week because even though it is a 45 minute workout you only ride hard for 16 minutes.

2013-12-04 10:14 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Originally posted by AdventureBear

Steven Seiler has a great article at this link that everyone commenting here should read if they have not already:

Intervals, Thresholds, and Long Slow Distance: the Role of Intensity and Duration in Endurance Training. Stephen Seiler and Espen Tønnessen. Reconciling research and practice.
http://sportsci.org/2009/ss.htm

I agree (with the research link). For what we do and the distances we race, volume trumps everything. Intensity is merely the icing on the cake. to quote the link:

"Elite endurance athletes perform 80 % or more of their training at intensities clearly below their lactate threshold and use high-intensity training surprisingly sparingly."

People pressed for time tend to gravitate towards more intervals to keep pace with those who have more time on there hands. And while it will provide some perks, it's not going to produce the same results long term as the guy with all the time in the world to put in the volume.
2013-12-04 10:47 AM
in reply to: tjfry

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by tjfry People pressed for time tend to gravitate towards more intervals to keep pace with those who have more time on there hands. And while it will provide some perks, it's not going to produce the same results long term as the guy with all the time in the world to put in the volume.

I don't think anyone disputes this.  It's also pretty clear that a mix of intensities is best.  The question is what mix to pursue if you are pressed for time.  One way to approach it is to do a very small amount of hard work and see what pace/power/speed you achieve.  Then start to add some more to the hard work.  When you become unable to maintain the pace/power/speed for those sessions, you are probably doing too much and not getting the best return on your investment.  Better to back off and go easier in some of your sessions (could be the 'hard' ones, or could be the ones you think are 'easy' but actually end up being 'medium') and improve the quality of the hard days.  The oft mentioned quote about many athletes going to hard on their easy days and too easy on their hard days fits.

I also think there is something to the idea for the (time constrained-AG) long course athlete to go a little heavier in the intensity mix when you are further away from your race and heavier on the volume mix as you get closer.  It might go from 60/40 to 90/10, for example (have no idea if those percentages are even ball-park, just trying to frame my thoughts).  And it could vary even more by sport (e.g., doing 40% high intensity running requires an awfully solid base before even considering it).

2013-12-04 11:31 AM
in reply to: tjfry

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by tjfry
Originally posted by AdventureBear Steven Seiler has a great article at this link that everyone commenting here should read if they have not already: Intervals, Thresholds, and Long Slow Distance: the Role of Intensity and Duration in Endurance Training. Stephen Seiler and Espen Tønnessen. Reconciling research and practice. http://sportsci.org/2009/ss.htm
I agree (with the research link). For what we do and the distances we race, volume trumps everything. Intensity is merely the icing on the cake. to quote the link: "Elite endurance athletes perform 80 % or more of their training at intensities clearly below their lactate threshold and use high-intensity training surprisingly sparingly." People pressed for time tend to gravitate towards more intervals to keep pace with those who have more time on there hands. And while it will provide some perks, it's not going to produce the same results long term as the guy with all the time in the world to put in the volume.
A lot of good reading on all the various studies involving mostly elite athletes in several different sports.  And as mentioned a bit further down in the article, all this directly applies to the recreational athlete (RA) training 6-10 hours per week, such as those on BT.  I also liked how it was shown that RA had a skewed RPE vs actual intensity based on HR measurements. 

2013-12-04 1:25 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by jonD81

Sorry, where is the 80/20 mentioned ? in one of the articles ?

It's in the main link, about half way down through the page. This is intro paragraph:

The 80:20 Rule for Intensity

In spite of differences in the methods for quantifying training intensity, all of the above studies show remarkable consistency in the training distribution pattern selected by successful endurance athletes. About 80 % of training sessions are performed completely or predominantly at intensities under the first ventilatory turn point, or a blood-lactate concentration £2mM. The remaining ~20 % of sessions are distributed between training at or near the traditional lactate threshold (Zone 2), and training at intensities in the 90-100 %VO2max range, generally as interval training (Zone 3)....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Winter training - Intensity vs Quanity Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

base training vs winter training

Started by nickih
Views: 2477 Posts: 16

2013-11-17 12:28 AM Trbilbao

HIM vs Oly overall training intensity

Started by yazmaster
Views: 821 Posts: 3

2012-06-25 2:13 AM tri808

Training vs Racing, interesting with me vs training buddy

Started by ahohl
Views: 1248 Posts: 10

2010-08-02 8:23 PM ahohl

Jorge's winter training plan vs The Angry Pit Bull

Started by Puppetmaster
Views: 1519 Posts: 10

2009-05-14 10:37 PM offtrackmtb

volume vs. intensity

Started by tellison
Views: 1000 Posts: 11

2006-07-22 5:36 PM AdventureBear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : December 4, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on IMWI preparation, May A-race preparation, lunges, yoga vs pilates, zones to lose weight and endurance loss over the winter.

date : March 6, 2007
author : gsmacleod
comments : 6
A comparison between two athletes and their results based on a high intensity vs a low intensity program.
date : May 16, 2005
author : AMSSM
Discussions on base training, intensity training, peaking and tapering, racing and competition and recovery and restoration.

date : January 30, 2005
author : Glenn
Many of us do not enjoy the ‘pleasures’ of training on a stationery trainer. “Boring”, ”mind-numbing”, “a drag” are three phrases often associated with indoor trainers.