General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Accuracy of "Overall Rank"? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-08-03 1:12 AM
in reply to: #499189

User image

Extreme Veteran
MN
Subject: RE: Accuracy of "Overall Rank"?

I usually dont count the DNF but I will for my HIM in Iowa in August.  It will be hot and if you dont plan well enough and dont finish, I beat you and will count it.

Sadly I count the number of women who beat me.  There are usually quite a few and they usually stomp on me on the swim.  My wife gets mad at me when I think this way.  I'm just impressed with the women who really move out.  Much more of an anomily.

2006-08-03 9:20 AM
in reply to: #499189

User image

over a barrier
I would count the women and the DNF's...The DNF's you beat...they couldn't/wouldn't/didn't finish. I get my door's blown off by dozens apon dozens of women so I count them as do the race officials....I count everyone that raced the same race as me in the overall rankings..that's why its overall rankings. They countinue to break down the results into gender and age group for more resutls...overall is overall.
2006-08-03 1:03 PM
in reply to: #500996

User image

New user
KARAF - 2006-08-02 11:56 PM

If I was worried about placement I wouldn't enter.

I live near Boulder, and dang if everyone I race against isn't either an ex-pro,
a marathoner, a century rider, or a masters swimmer.

I looked up my goal time and discovered I'm in contention for the last 3 slots.
Needless to say, my attitude HAS to be about doing the best I can and not
worrying about everyone else.

Today I swam 2 kilometers, biked 15 miles at race pace, and ran 4 miles at
a slow tempo. I don't consider myself in bad shape, and I can't help but think
I wouldn't be contending for last place if I lived just about anywhere else in the
country.

I plan to only compete against myself.

Ken

I also compete only against myself. The way I compete against myself is gauging my progress against my previous races. I have found that the best way to do that is to use relative placement. I will race in Georgia, Florida, and New Hampshire this year. There is no race in which I would say "I gotta beat Joe Schmo" because I would rarely have occassion to race against the same people. So I agree with you but just have a different means of judging performance/progress.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Accuracy of "Overall Rank"? Rss Feed  

of 2