General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for Sufferfest Vets regarding TSS on Downward Spiral Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-11 8:56 AM

Arden, North Carolina
Subject: Question for Sufferfest Vets regarding TSS on Downward Spiral
I have four video's that I cycle through, fight club, angels, local hero and downward spiral. They're all an hour except for local hero. So my question is regarding downward spiral. Of those three. I felt this one was the easiest, and I mean that relatively speaking. I should say the least painful. All in all, I got through it feeling far better than the other two. I assumed this meant it was an easier workout. Yet when I was done, my TSS for that one was around 101. When I do fight club and angels i'm in the mid 90's. My question is, is that actually a better workout, despite it feeling easier? Why would my TSS be higher yet still feel better at the end.

2013-12-11 11:20 AM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Question for Sufferfest Vets regarding TSS on Downward Spiral

Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville I have four video's that I cycle through, fight club, angels, local hero and downward spiral. They're all an hour except for local hero. So my question is regarding downward spiral. Of those three. I felt this one was the easiest, and I mean that relatively speaking. I should say the least painful. All in all, I got through it feeling far better than the other two. I assumed this meant it was an easier workout. Yet when I was done, my TSS for that one was around 101. When I do fight club and angels i'm in the mid 90's. My question is, is that actually a better workout, despite it feeling easier? Why would my TSS be higher yet still feel better at the end.

It feels better, because Downward spiral is focused more on very hard yet short efforts instead of the longer efforts that the other videos uses.  It's not that it's a better workout, since it has a different goal than Fight Club or Angels.  All of them serve a purpose.

According to Trainerroad, the TSS for Angels and Downward should be both around 93 (for me anyway).  Maybe you're resting at a slightly higher wattage when doing Downward Spiral.

2013-12-11 12:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

It may be that Downward Spiral plays to your strengths more -- short intervals with high power output -- rather than what the other videos require -- longer intervals with power closer to threshold.  So while the TSS is higher, it may have felt "easier" to you. 

You can train your weaknesses and make them stronger, but if you ignore your strengths, they'll become weaker.  I know I'm struggling with that right now....if you give me a threshold and a VO2max workout with equivalent TSS, the VO2max will feel "easier" to me because I've been focusing on it lately.  Now I'm learning that I should not have ignored the threshold work!

2013-12-11 1:13 PM

The acute pain of the workout depends on the intensity factor (IF), not the TSS.

Anaerobic repeats have the highest IF, and hurt the most (Revolver.)

The TSS beatdown is something you'll feel more as fatigue on later workouts, like for the next two days. I get this a lot now; my weekend bike trainer ride is around 180-210 TSS at all z2/lowz3 aerobic effort, and while the workout doesn't hurt per se (it's still hard at the end but I'm not gasping for air), my next day run definitely feels the beatdown. In contrast, the 1hr Sufferfest workout hurts me bad in all respects when Im doing it, but since the TSS is only half of that long ride, my legs are much less fatigued the next day in comparison. 

That said, for difference between 90 TSS and 101TSS, it's probably going to be very similar and wouldn't be at all surprised at all if the more short/intense one beat you down a bit more than the smoother one.

2013-12-11 4:27 PM
in reply to: msteiner

Arden, North Carolina
"It feels better, because Downward spiral is focused more on very hard yet short efforts instead of the longer efforts that the other videos uses. It's not that it's a better workout, since it has a different goal than Fight Club or Angels. All of them serve a purpose.

According to Trainerroad, the TSS for Angels and Downward should be both around 93 (for me anyway). Maybe you're resting at a slightly higher wattage when doing Downward Spiral."

Good point. TR has the same TSS scores for me as well, I guess I did go a little higher than target. Though I'm pretty sure i'm always right at the target for resting, maybe i was a bit high on the efforts.

"It may be that Downward Spiral plays to your strengths more -- short intervals with high power output -- rather than what the other videos require -- longer intervals with power closer to threshold. So while the TSS is higher, it may have felt "easier" to you.

You can train your weaknesses and make them stronger, but if you ignore your strengths, they'll become weaker. I know I'm struggling with that right now....if you give me a threshold and a VO2max workout with equivalent TSS, the VO2max will feel "easier" to me because I've been focusing on it lately. Now I'm learning that I should not have ignored the threshold work!"

Good point, that is probably true. I'm a slightly bigger guy, 6'5", 195, with strong legs, so I am able to generate significant for short bursts, where as the time trial and longer tempo efforts are much harder for me to maintain.
Fight club destroys me the most of the three. I'm a fairly strong climber, so pushing low cadence at high power is far easier than the high power high cadence efforts. I really struggle to keep up when it wants a cadence over 100. But like you said, I like cycling(pardon the pun) through all the workouts, I feel those 4 really give me a well rounded workout.

"The acute pain of the workout depends on the intensity factor (IF), not the TSS."
Gotcha...but my IF was higher during downward as well, it was .99, a few ticks over what I usually wind up with on the other two (.95ish).

"The TSS beatdown is something you'll feel more as fatigue on later workouts, like for the next two days. I get this a lot now; my weekend bike trainer ride is around 180-210 TSS at all z2/lowz3 aerobic effort, and while the workout doesn't hurt per se (it's still hard at the end but I'm not gasping for air), my next day run definitely feels the beatdown. In contrast, the 1hr Sufferfest workout hurts me bad in all respects when Im doing it, but since the TSS is only half of that long ride, my legs are much less fatigued the next day in comparison. "

This makes sense too. I guess if I'm able to get around to my workouts today(not looking good) I'll have a good idea if it really beat me down badly. As much as the sufferfest vids hurt, I never feel them the next day, compared to a really long, easy bike ride, or run for that matter.

Thanks for all the feedback...wish I could just do downward over and over! A lot less scary to jump into compared to the others, where I know I'm in for a world of hurt.
2013-12-11 5:08 PM

You can do Downward over and over again - nothing wrong with that. Just vary it up with other stuff as well and it's a perfectly good repeatable workout.

To make you feel better, while I LOVE the Sufferfest videos, I rarely do them. I do them with the prescribed TrainerRoad power so I'm trying to hit all their power targets like you are, and it's just too hard for me to do regularly. I think I did them twice in an 18 week buildup last block, and only near the end, and the reason was definitely that they were so intense.

2013-12-11 5:34 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville  "It may be that Downward Spiral plays to your strengths more -- short intervals with high power output -- rather than what the other videos require -- longer intervals with power closer to threshold. So while the TSS is higher, it may have felt "easier" to you. You can train your weaknesses and make them stronger, but if you ignore your strengths, they'll become weaker. I know I'm struggling with that right now....if you give me a threshold and a VO2max workout with equivalent TSS, the VO2max will feel "easier" to me because I've been focusing on it lately. Now I'm learning that I should not have ignored the threshold work!"

Good point, that is probably true. I'm a slightly bigger guy, 6'5", 195, with strong legs, so I am able to generate significant for short bursts, where as the time trial and longer tempo efforts are much harder for me to maintain. Fight club destroys me the most of the three. I'm a fairly strong climber, so pushing low cadence at high power is far easier than the high power high cadence efforts. I really struggle to keep up when it wants a cadence over 100. But like you said, I like cycling(pardon the pun) through all the workouts, I feel those 4 really give me a well rounded workout.

I think it's more a function of how your aerobic system has developed to this point as opposed to size. For example, I'm just a bit smaller than you are and tend to be the other way around. I come from a more explosive sport background as well, but have been (much) more focused on tri & endurance sports the last few years. I'll do strong on threshold and can keep riding ok at an easier level. But go to a VO2 one and it kills me. I can hit the numbers, but I'm done after the last rep. Zone 2 is quite hard even after good deal of recovery riding. And I have to watch it in how soon I go hard again over the next few days.

Double check how you're doing compared to the targets for Downward Spiral. If you're basically doing it how you're supposed and going over on the hard parts, then you're relatively well developed up in that area as TR is usually rather aggressive on these things. The threshold work is what you want to bring up more. Performance there is a better indication of your fitness as it applies to tri. It also takes longer and more work to improve than VO2 or higher. Keep up the rotation for awhile as you have been. Get used to what it does for you and then you can learn how to add/switch in other work too.

2013-12-11 7:15 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville  "It may be that Downward Spiral plays to your strengths more -- short intervals with high power output -- rather than what the other videos require -- longer intervals with power closer to threshold. So while the TSS is higher, it may have felt "easier" to you. You can train your weaknesses and make them stronger, but if you ignore your strengths, they'll become weaker. I know I'm struggling with that right now....if you give me a threshold and a VO2max workout with equivalent TSS, the VO2max will feel "easier" to me because I've been focusing on it lately. Now I'm learning that I should not have ignored the threshold work!"

Good point, that is probably true. I'm a slightly bigger guy, 6'5", 195, with strong legs, so I am able to generate significant for short bursts, where as the time trial and longer tempo efforts are much harder for me to maintain. Fight club destroys me the most of the three. I'm a fairly strong climber, so pushing low cadence at high power is far easier than the high power high cadence efforts. I really struggle to keep up when it wants a cadence over 100. But like you said, I like cycling(pardon the pun) through all the workouts, I feel those 4 really give me a well rounded workout.

I think it's more a function of how your aerobic system has developed to this point as opposed to size. For example, I'm just a bit smaller than you are and tend to be the other way around. I come from a more explosive sport background as well, but have been (much) more focused on tri & endurance sports the last few years. I'll do strong on threshold and can keep riding ok at an easier level. But go to a VO2 one and it kills me. I can hit the numbers, but I'm done after the last rep. Zone 2 is quite hard even after good deal of recovery riding. And I have to watch it in how soon I go hard again over the next few days.

Double check how you're doing compared to the targets for Downward Spiral. If you're basically doing it how you're supposed and going over on the hard parts, then you're relatively well developed up in that area as TR is usually rather aggressive on these things. The threshold work is what you want to bring up more. Performance there is a better indication of your fitness as it applies to tri. It also takes longer and more work to improve than VO2 or higher. Keep up the rotation for awhile as you have been. Get used to what it does for you and then you can learn how to add/switch in other work too.

I've attached the image of the photo showing my power and the target and it looks like I followed it pretty solidly.

So you're saying I should spend more time doing maybe fight club and local hero? That would make sense since those are much more tougher for me...lower efforts for longer time periods. Fight club especially kicks my rear on the final interval with all the attacks and settling back at around 110%. Angels only really killed me because of the final 30 seconds of going all out, but I feel like my climbing has gotten a lot stronger over all.

To the other response, I know what you mean about avoiding sufferfest due to the intensity, and even tried doing some trainer road workouts too, but they were just to easy and I didn't feel like I was getting a great workout. I had an especially difficult time sticking with it after I retested my ftp and it jumped by almost 30 (probably more due to not pushing as hard on my first test). i couldnt keep up with the target power levels after that and got frustrated and quit doing them, it was also spring so the weather was more friendly too. however seeing my TSS on the trainer vs outdoors makes it a bit easier to do the trainer. It seems i have to ride twice as long for the same effort.

(downward spiral.png)

Attachments
----------------
downward spiral.png (94KB - 2 downloads)
2013-12-11 10:34 PM

Well, I think you know why the Trainerroad rides feel 'too easy' if you're staying with an FTP that's 30 lower that what you tested using virtualpower. 

2013-12-12 7:31 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by yazmaster

Well, I think you know why the Trainerroad rides feel 'too easy' if you're staying with an FTP that's 30 lower that what you tested using virtualpower. 

Ditto that. Is your FTP correct? Also, you don't *have* to do the workouts at 100%. As said before, TR makes that setting very aggressive. I don't actually have TR, but don't think I would be doing all the hard workouts at their 100%. Just hard enough so that the intervals intended to work threshold would still be up in their threshold or sweetspot depending on the goals for the day.

2013-12-13 5:44 PM
in reply to: 0

Arden, North Carolina

I'm really confused by this. I didn't test at 264, I tested at 234 and that is where I have my FTP set. Where did you get that I have it set 30 lower than where it should be. I said that I retested and it increased by 30, I adjusted it accordingly. And I really don't know where I said anything about them feeling "too easy."

Edited by TriDadinAsheville 2013-12-13 5:45 PM

2013-12-13 6:10 PM

To the other response, I know what you mean about avoiding sufferfest due to the intensity, and even tried doing some trainer road workouts too, but they were just to easy and I didn't feel like I was getting a great workout. I had an especially difficult time sticking with it after I retested my ftp and it jumped by almost 30 (probably more due to not pushing as hard on my first test). i couldnt keep up with the target power levels after that and got frustrated and quit doing them, it was also spring so the weather was more friendly too. however seeing my TSS on the trainer vs outdoors makes it a bit easier to do the trainer. It seems i have to ride twice as long for the same effort.

Not trying to nitpick here - I just got the impression that you did find the Trainerroad workouts too easy as bolded above, and a possible reason was that you were doing them at the lower FTP numbers, but sounds like you tried them at the higher power too?

2013-12-13 8:05 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Originally posted by brigby1

Also, you don't *have* to do the workouts at 100%. As said before, TR makes that setting very aggressive. I don't actually have TR, but don't think I would be doing all the hard workouts at their 100%. Just hard enough so that the intervals intended to work threshold would still be up in their threshold or sweetspot depending on the goals for the day.

I've only used TR for a short period last year, but I also found their workouts to be extremely aggressive.  The ones asking for 90+ TSS within an hour would leave me completely shelled.  Though I suppose it depends on how much overall riding you're doing and/or how much swimming and running your doing that will determine how frequently you can tackle such hard bike workouts.

2013-12-13 9:53 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Yes, TR is very aggressive if you follow their settings. I don't even know if it's possible to do 2 in a row if you actually hit all the TR-prescribed power targets, it's so brutal.

2013-12-14 11:50 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Yes, TR is very aggressive if you follow their settings. I don't even know if it's possible to do 2 in a row if you actually hit all the TR-prescribed power targets, it's so brutal.

Honestly, if you're able to do back-to-back Sufferfest workouts on TrainerRoad at 100% power and hit all the targets, it's probably time to retest and adjust FTP.  

I thought it was particularly interesting / entertaining / amusing during last year's Tour of Sufferlandria the number of people who were doing just that (for nine days in a row).

I like Ben's philosophy on SF videos -- modify the workouts as needed so you work your intended zones.  He once told me that and suddenly it all made sense to me.  I modify the rides and intensities as needed, and still come out feeling like I got an incredible workout. 

2013-12-14 5:26 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Honestly, if you're able to do back-to-back Sufferfest workouts on TrainerRoad at 100% power and hit all the targets, it's probably time to retest and adjust FTP.  

I thought it was particularly interesting / entertaining / amusing during last year's Tour of Sufferlandria the number of people who were doing just that (for nine days in a row).

I like Ben's philosophy on SF videos -- modify the workouts as needed so you work your intended zones.  He once told me that and suddenly it all made sense to me.  I modify the rides and intensities as needed, and still come out feeling like I got an incredible workout. 

Yeah, I *think* 100% on those is about as hard as you can do it at that FTP. So if you're riding a good deal throughout the week plus other training, you're probably not actually going to be able to do it. Not for that long anyway. I also look at this graph and the various curves plotted on it. The Effect on Threshold plot actually peaks just before threshold, so I try to do much of the harder work in this area. I have more time to ride, so go just a bit lower on interval intensity (like lower 90's) to get more time up here (see duration curve). I'd be pushing a little higher (mid to high 90's) if forced to limit rides to 1 hr. The strain curve continues to increase with higher intensity, so it feels harder, but I don't go over threshold that much for an entire interval unless I'm doing a VO2 workout. At times yes, but I'll have something specific I'm trying to do with it. Not nearly on a basis of several times a week.

I didn't say before to avoid additional confusion at the time (too much info to take in at once), but would also think of adding in some other workouts. The number of TR workouts I know is limited, but I prefer workouts like HHNF more often. It's 1:15, but cut out right as the TTT starts and it's 2 x 20' in like 1:05. TR specific ones to consider would be like Tallac or Carson. Lots of strong work in the hour, but not quite gut-busting. Tallac is 3 x 15', so has 45' of a 1 hr workout  in lower Z4. Basically rides with a good deal of time in Z4.

Edited by brigby1 2013-12-14 5:28 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for Sufferfest Vets regarding TSS on Downward Spiral Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

sufferfest questions

Started by brooksinc1976
Views: 714 Posts: 3

2012-03-14 1:48 PM Rudedog55

TSS question related to recovery weeks

Started by mjengstrom
Views: 6688 Posts: 17

2012-02-17 10:23 AM DanielG

Sufferfest training questions....

Started by SR2518
Views: 922 Posts: 3

2011-09-14 2:21 PM mallen4574

Trainer/Sufferfest question

Started by notquitethere
Views: 1230 Posts: 4

2011-09-12 11:51 AM brigby1

power meter question: how do to use TSS?

Started by trix
Views: 2777 Posts: 5

2010-08-11 10:51 AM JorgeM
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?
date : October 8, 2007
author : AMSSM
There is a definite strength difference between the two legs. Is there anything I can do to balance the strength in both legs? Anything I should be concerned about?

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?
date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.

date : April 3, 2005
comments : 1
Mark Allen, six time Ironman Champion, answers the most common questions beginners have in getting into triathlons.