General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BT Full Ironman Custom Training Plans Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-13 7:51 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Subject: BT Full Ironman Custom Training Plans
Hi Everyone.

I have a question for the group. I have created a 28 week full Ironman custom plan here on BT but some of it makes no sense to me and I am wondering if anyone else has used a BT full custom plan?

On my short run days it has me doing just 1.3 miles (13 minute run based on a 10 min mile) and my short bikes only 5.5 miles or just about 20 minutes on the bike? That won't even raise my HR?

Any suggestions on this?

Thanks

KC

2013-12-13 8:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: BT Full Ironman Custom Training Plans

I just looked at the plan.  I think it's the fact that you probably chose a beginner/Intermediate plan and it's so long, that your runs and other workouts are what you see. It's still a solid plan if you are building from a low volume...but it looks like it's not for you.

I just went through and generated some variations.  If you want 28 week, generate an 'advanced' plan, you should find that the starting weeks will be more to your level.  

OR if you want to stick with the beg or intermediate plans, generate a 20 week plan, you should find week 1 starts at a higher volume.

ANOTHER OPTION is to create a 8 week IM maintenance plan, then do the 20 week advanced plan. This option nicely transitions in volume between the two plan. This is even starting out at a higher volume than the above recommendation though there is not as much 'base' building.

*When you generate a plan, give it a name and look at the 'volume graph' BEFORE you import it.  Generate several plans, looking at starting times and how volumes are.

Let me know if this helps.  If you want, give me your current training volume and I can give some more specific options.

2013-12-13 9:38 AM
in reply to: Ron

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Thanks Ron. I will take another look this afternoon and let you know if I have any more questions.

KC

Originally posted by Ron

I just looked at the plan.  I think it's the fact that you probably chose a beginner/Intermediate plan and it's so long, that your runs and other workouts are what you see. It's still a solid plan if you are building from a low volume...but it looks like it's not for you.

I just went through and generated some variations.  If you want 28 week, generate an 'advanced' plan, you should find that the starting weeks will be more to your level.  

OR if you want to stick with the beg or intermediate plans, generate a 20 week plan, you should find week 1 starts at a higher volume.

ANOTHER OPTION is to create a 8 week IM maintenance plan, then do the 20 week advanced plan. This option nicely transitions in volume between the two plan. This is even starting out at a higher volume than the above recommendation though there is not as much 'base' building.

*When you generate a plan, give it a name and look at the 'volume graph' BEFORE you import it.  Generate several plans, looking at starting times and how volumes are.

Let me know if this helps.  If you want, give me your current training volume and I can give some more specific options.

2013-12-31 6:29 AM
in reply to: kcgolf

User image

Hi,

Just created two custom plans aimed at my A race - IM Wales in September. I am a relative novice to triathlon although not to the training. Question:-

1. I have created a maintenance for 8 weeks followed by a 28 week plan - does this make sense or should I set myself up differently?
2. Thinking of doing City to Summit (1 June) for a bit of fun - could I fit this into my plan? Do I have sufficient recovery time to get a reasonable IM Wales time? If I did decide to do both would you set up the training differently. i.e. commence full build to City to Summit and then start again?

Thanks

Sean
2013-12-31 11:35 PM
in reply to: weirdfish

User image

Champion
MA

What  type of event is City to Summit?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BT Full Ironman Custom Training Plans Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Low Volume High Intensity 70.3 and Full Ironman Plans

Started by lgolding
Views: 3743 Posts: 4

2012-06-29 6:52 AM Susan Kay

BT Ironman Training Plans

Started by harleyclone
Views: 2468 Posts: 10

2010-12-25 7:16 PM Pegasus1731

Beginner Full Ironman Plan Group Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16

Started by Tri Take Me Away
Views: 63086 Posts: 377

2014-05-01 8:59 AM a.sayler3

Feedback on BT Ironman Training Plans

Started by Gerrard
Views: 1123 Posts: 4

2008-04-14 1:22 PM Gerrard

Full Ironman - 20 Week - HR--General Plan ??'s

Started by CKinsey
Views: 1357 Posts: 5

2008-03-05 6:39 PM CKinsey
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season

date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.
date : April 17, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is a beginner plan to bridge you from an a Half Ironman to Ironman using a HRM with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.

date : November 20, 2007
comments : 0
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : October 26, 2005
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.
date : October 24, 2005
comments : 3
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 3:00-4:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.

date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.