BT Development Mentor Program Archives » What off-season? Early season racers Mentor Group - OPEN! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2014-01-28 12:16 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: What off-season? Early season racers Mentor Group - OPEN!

What up peoples!

APB out for some lost bodyfat, LOL.  Weight is starting to drop, can finally see it too.  Last night did a 1:30 trainer ride that was a nice workout.  This morning did a easy (but rough) 5 mile run with the dog, legs were lead at the start.  Finally some humidity in the air, felt great.

Going to the pool tonight, have to work around the beginner swim team so after 7:45 or take my kids to practice at the big pool if its our drive night. 

Family is going to discuss what our next 30 day challenge is going to be.  I already begged no legs, kids seconded that one.  I want to do a triple core workout, we'll see what is agreed upon.  The Prone planks have been a tough challenge, we had to revamp at 20 days to end the challenge at 3' total as there was no way the kids were going to get 5' (me neither!). 

2014-01-29 9:22 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Can't catch a break, went to the pool last night and it was closed because a toddler went #2 during the water safety class.  Was still closed this morning and expected to open by the afternoon.

Any way came into work somewhat early and not looking forward to tonight's bike workout as the legs are still a bit heavy.  Hope all in the SE are playing it smart with the recent weather.  Looking forward to the weekend here, back into the 80s'!

2014-01-29 9:59 AM
in reply to: perrykvn

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by perrykvn I looked at the Olympic plans but the swim portion seems above where I am at right now?

What has your swimming looked like? Can't really tell what you've done or where you're at.

Quite often people don't really get in as much swimming as they probably should. They'll make it through the swim, but it won't quite go as well as it could have. If you're feeling that the swimming is too much to start off with, but could build up to it, then look into reducing the first few workouts to something more manageable. I also like the idea of using an Oly plan. It should hit about the same points in training and have more volume, so more development.

2014-01-29 10:02 AM

User image

New user
So I'm about a month out from the marathon and I haven't run in a week due to a crazy schedule before moving across country. I missed some huge workouts that were really important, I.e. 18 mi LR with 14 at marathon pace. Should I still try to fit those in? Should I jump right back into my workouts as normal? Should I start back in taking it easy? Tomorrow I start a 3 day road trip from Arizona to Connecticut. I hope to be able to run at each hotel when I stop for the night. This move has really made my training go to crap.
2014-01-29 10:36 AM
in reply to: skankey

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by skankey So I'm about a month out from the marathon and I haven't run in a week due to a crazy schedule before moving across country. I missed some huge workouts that were really important, I.e. 18 mi LR with 14 at marathon pace. Should I still try to fit those in? Should I jump right back into my workouts as normal? Should I start back in taking it easy? Tomorrow I start a 3 day road trip from Arizona to Connecticut. I hope to be able to run at each hotel when I stop for the night. This move has really made my training go to crap.

Trying to remember if there was a plan you were following (link)? If I hadn't run for a week, I'd probably take the next few days and work back into it to be safe. Easy would still be easy. Hard would still be hard unless it was the first one back, then I'd think some more about it. However, I might not do quite as much of it. So push the pace near where it calls for so long as everything feels fine, but maybe not quite as long or as many reps. As for the 18 mi LR w/m-pace, would have to see what the plan calls for coming up. Most certainly would NOT try to just cram that in somewhere. There might be another one coming up in a week or two. You'd have to take in how you're feeling, taking in that you had both an entire week of not running to lower some fatigue and that you haven't run for a week and have not built up as was called for towards the workouts. So I'd probably end up somewhere between that missed long run and the one one the schedule.

I know this is kind of vague, but people do respond differently so it's necessary to try and read the situation and use some guidelines. Hard to do when you likely have a lot on your mind with all the moving/traveling going on, but do remember that the plan is to help guide you in building up your fitness. It's not a series of checkboxes that you just get credit for accomplishing. The future work is done based off what you've been able to do to that point.

2014-01-29 11:05 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by skankey So I'm about a month out from the marathon and I haven't run in a week due to a crazy schedule before moving across country. I missed some huge workouts that were really important, I.e. 18 mi LR with 14 at marathon pace. Should I still try to fit those in? Should I jump right back into my workouts as normal? Should I start back in taking it easy? Tomorrow I start a 3 day road trip from Arizona to Connecticut. I hope to be able to run at each hotel when I stop for the night. This move has really made my training go to crap.

Trying to remember if there was a plan you were following (link)? If I hadn't run for a week, I'd probably take the next few days and work back into it to be safe. Easy would still be easy. Hard would still be hard unless it was the first one back, then I'd think some more about it. However, I might not do quite as much of it. So push the pace near where it calls for so long as everything feels fine, but maybe not quite as long or as many reps. As for the 18 mi LR w/m-pace, would have to see what the plan calls for coming up. Most certainly would NOT try to just cram that in somewhere. There might be another one coming up in a week or two. You'd have to take in how you're feeling, taking in that you had both an entire week of not running to lower some fatigue and that you haven't run for a week and have not built up as was called for towards the workouts. So I'd probably end up somewhere between that missed long run and the one one the schedule.

I know this is kind of vague, but people do respond differently so it's necessary to try and read the situation and use some guidelines. Hard to do when you likely have a lot on your mind with all the moving/traveling going on, but do remember that the plan is to help guide you in building up your fitness. It's not a series of checkboxes that you just get credit for accomplishing. The future work is done based off what you've been able to do to that point.

What you've missed is missed. You'll be ok, I promise!

Try next week at ~2/3 of prescribed volume, then, if that all works out ok, head back to full volume. 

2014-01-29 12:13 PM

User image

New user
Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

What you've missed is missed. You'll be ok, I promise!

Try next week at ~2/3 of prescribed volume, then, if that all works out ok, head back to full volume. 

Ok. Thanks to both of you for the input. This week is supposed to be a lot easier anyway and then next week picks up again. I think I will just take it easy this week and ease back into things.

Brigby: I am on a Pfitz 18/70 plan. Last week was one of those 70 mile weeks that was really intense too.
2014-01-29 1:21 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Made it to the pool at lunch! They reserved a lane for me, LOL! (not actually my pool).  Next 1 hr trainer ride on tap...

2014-01-29 1:24 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Donto

Made it to the pool at lunch! They reserved a lane for me, LOL! (not actually my pool).  Next 1 hr trainer ride on tap...

Ha! Love it.

I have ran ONCE in the last three weeks. I was showing symptoms of a stress fracture - though nothing on MRIs or x-rays.

I GET TO RUN TODAY!

1.5 mile test run on tap this afternoon 3000 yds in the pool this AM. I wish it were as sunny as that photo, but 5:30am practice doesn't get much sun this time of year...

2014-01-29 5:05 PM

User image

New user
Hollywood, FL
Originally posted by Donto

That looks great! I also made it to the pool today, for the first time in two weeks. I'll start posting some pics as well
2014-01-30 8:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Hollywood, FL

I GET TO RUN TODAY!

How did your run go?

Edited by ccjr 2014-01-31 9:59 AM

2014-01-31 11:18 AM
in reply to: ccjr

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Ugh, rain and more rain.  Hey I live in FL and rain is to be expected in the summer but 3 days in the winter when its 55F, not what I want to be out in. Got the dog out for a 4 mile run last night between rain drops. Watch/GPS battery was low and went old school for the run with just a plain old clock and memory for ~ mile points.  65' trainer ride on tap tonight or maybe the 95' ride since it'll be nice and cool in the garage.

Go Peyton Manning & the Denver Bronco's!

2014-02-03 9:22 AM

Master
Northern IL

Got in a nice big main set yesterday. Broken down into 4 x 250 pull, 10 x 100 swim, 2 x 500 pull, 10 x 100 swim. Need to work on the spacing some, but got through ok. Didn't feel as long as it might seem breaking it down like that.

2014-02-03 9:28 AM
in reply to: ccjr

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ccjr
Originally posted by ratherbeswimming I GET TO RUN TODAY!
How did your run go?
1.5 miles wednesday, 3 yesterday. Doing just fine Looks like I can get back at it - slowly and carefully!

2014-02-03 11:16 AM

User image

Expert
Broadlands

Originally posted by ccjr
Originally posted by ratherbeswimming I GET TO RUN TODAY!
How did your run go?
1.5 miles wednesday, 3 yesterday. Doing just fine Looks like I can get back at it - slowly and carefully!

Excellent!

Had a very slow training week last week, kind of forced into it with travel.  Went on a recruiting/career fair event at Penn State for a few days last week and managed just one run in the middle of that.  (side note: it's really quite cold up there this time of year :-)

Joined back up with the gym I left last year, it really has the best pool in the region (not too busy at any time, and almost deserted at 5am :-)

Took the kids swimming this weekend and confirmed my 10 year old does indeed kick my butt doing fly!! 

Worked out a short set to get the system back into it, somewhere around 500m total, was going lap for lap with my kids as it really was for them, (love that my 6 year old daughter is able to train with us too!)

Heading out just now for a lunch time run, at least, I'm going to check the weather and see if an outdoor run is on the cards!

Happy Monday everyone.....

2014-02-03 1:42 PM

User image

Expert
Broadlands

So, had a look outside, saw it was below freezing, sleet falling and it was windy..........so of course I decided it was indeed suitable weather for a run outside :-)

I blame being part of a mentoring group for this complete lack of sound judgement!  I'm now sat in the office with bright red ears and cheeks looking like an extra from Noddy!

was a nice run TBH, 7 miles and I was dressed for it.....any excuse to be out of the office for an hour!

2014-02-03 1:50 PM
in reply to: dewybuck

Master
Northern IL

Next time wear a hat?

2014-02-03 1:52 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro

Next time wear a hat?

Ski mask!

2014-02-03 2:01 PM

User image

Expert
Broadlands

Next time wear a hat?

Ski mask!

Was wearing a hat, but had to use the peaked hat not the woolie one to keep the sleet out of my eyes, downside was the ears are exposed

Useful suggestion on the Ski-Mask not only do people look at me funny for going running on days like today, or that fact that I, like a lot of other triathletes seem to have a penchant for Lycra and most things skin tight when I commute in on the bike, now I can add dodgy ski mask to the ensemble.  

2014-02-03 8:33 PM

User image

New user
So I have found out that moving is not good for your training schedule and even worse when it happens one month before your marathon. I ran for the first time tonight since the 21st! This is not good. I did an "easy" 6 miles at 8:30 and definitely could feel the weakness in my legs. I'm hoping that I can hit it hard for the next two weeks and taper off. It doesn't help that it keeps snowing here in CT and I hate running on treadmills. I'm not giving up though! I've trained too long and too hard to give up now. On the upside, I just joined a gym with a pool so I can start my swim training while I taper!
2014-02-04 8:47 AM

User image

Expert
Broadlands

Originally posted by skankey So I have found out that moving is not good for your training schedule and even worse when it happens one month before your marathon. I ran for the first time tonight since the 21st! This is not good. I did an "easy" 6 miles at 8:30 and definitely could feel the weakness in my legs. I'm hoping that I can hit it hard for the next two weeks and taper off. It doesn't help that it keeps snowing here in CT and I hate running on treadmills. I'm not giving up though! I've trained too long and too hard to give up now. On the upside, I just joined a gym with a pool so I can start my swim training while I taper!

from your logs (nothing there for January ) it looks like you were putting in some good solid hour to two hour runs throughout December before you had an issue with your hip, hope that's healed and you were able to do more of the same before the 21st January.

Give it a few runs this week without pushing too hard, next week increase slightly, remember you have done work in the last few months for this, you're not going to knock a lot of time off your race in the last 2 weeks of training, although you may make it less painful!

If you've experienced injury recently, panic training because you took a forced break is not going to do anything but risk your race day IMO.

you did a solid 16 miler a month back with other long runs close to that, you'll be fine.

2014-02-05 8:26 AM

User image

St Tammany Parish
I've been pounding along through training the last few weeks. This is my highest volume week so far and I am starting to feel it. I have a step back week next week which seems to be arriving right on time. That being said Everything seems to be going well but I just wish it would warm up a bit so I can do all of my riding outside.
2014-02-05 8:39 PM

User image

New user
Originally posted by dewybuck

Originally posted by skankey So I have found out that moving is not good for your training schedule and even worse when it happens one month before your marathon. I ran for the first time tonight since the 21st! This is not good. I did an "easy" 6 miles at 8:30 and definitely could feel the weakness in my legs. I'm hoping that I can hit it hard for the next two weeks and taper off. It doesn't help that it keeps snowing here in CT and I hate running on treadmills. I'm not giving up though! I've trained too long and too hard to give up now. On the upside, I just joined a gym with a pool so I can start my swim training while I taper!

from your logs (nothing there for January ) it looks like you were putting in some good solid hour to two hour runs throughout December before you had an issue with your hip, hope that's healed and you were able to do more of the same before the 21st January.

Give it a few runs this week without pushing too hard, next week increase slightly, remember you have done work in the last few months for this, you're not going to knock a lot of time off your race in the last 2 weeks of training, although you may make it less painful!

If you've experienced injury recently, panic training because you took a forced break is not going to do anything but risk your race day IMO.

you did a solid 16 miler a month back with other long runs close to that, you'll be fine.

Thanks for the advice. It good to hear that it still is possible. In January I did have 2 LRs of 22 miles each at 7:40 pace. I haven't been able to post my workouts since moving, I accidently packed my garmin ant+ stick. I will do it when my stuff gets here in a week or so. Yesterday I ran pretty hard, with 10 miles at under 8 min pace with 4 of them at 5:30 pace all on a treadmill. I'm still feeling pretty good and strong so hopefully with 3 more uninterupted weeks of training maybe I can feel more confident. Thanks for the push.
2014-02-06 11:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

I'm terribly jealous of you people out there running and cycling right now!  I just got back from the podiatrist and the good news is nothing broken in my foot.  The bad news is that I ruptured my plantar fascia.  He gave me a shot, through the top of my foot, and some gel pads to walk on and relieve the pressure.  Maybe a week or two and I can try running again.  We are both optimistic about my 70.3 Ironman Galveston on april 6th.  But I won't have the performance I was hoping to have flushing weeks 4-9 of the Intermediate Half Ironman -16 week plan down the toilet!  

2014-02-06 12:13 PM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Expert
Broadlands

Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

I'm terribly jealous of you people out there running and cycling right now!  I just got back from the podiatrist and the good news is nothing broken in my foot.  The bad news is that I ruptured my plantar fascia.  He gave me a shot, through the top of my foot, and some gel pads to walk on and relieve the pressure.  Maybe a week or two and I can try running again.  We are both optimistic about my 70.3 Ironman Galveston on april 6th.  But I won't have the performance I was hoping to have flushing weeks 4-9 of the Intermediate Half Ironman -16 week plan down the toilet!  

OUCH!

Sorry you're out of action for running an riding, that sucks. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » What off-season? Early season racers Mentor Group - OPEN! Rss Feed  

of 15

RELATED POSTS

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 98623 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15945 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29275 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 18, 2013
author : eric_kenney
comments : 0
Looking at your past training to figure out the future season.

date : December 22, 2011
author : Mikael67
End of season thoughts and tips
date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.

date : January 27, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on the off season, maximum amount of days one should be running, heart-rate zone testing and outdoor off season strength workouts.
date : February 7, 2008
author : AMSSM
The off season should be just that – a time to rest your body, to rehabilitate injury, and to plan ahead on how to improve performance and prevent injury in the season to come.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.