BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Enders_Shadow's Group - eating clean & getting lean - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2013-12-27 12:55 PM
in reply to: 91Diligence

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: Enders_Shadow's Group - eating clean & getting lean - FULL
I too have used MyFitnessPal. Used it religiously for months last year and it worked great.

But after you've logged long enough, you learn what the portion size should be and how many calories you are taking in. So I don't log anymore. My problem is making myself eat the way I KNOW I should be eating.

Anyone else ever get sick of eating bad? I am really close to reaching that point. Which is a good thing for me. The big greasy burgers, pizza, etc, just do not sound appealing right now (b/c I have eaten so much of it the past 6mo). Yesterday we went out to a sports bar for a bday party and everyone got burgers and I ended up with grilled trout and spinach! When I eat bad for so long, I start craving the good, healthy foods again...now just to keep that going!

2013-12-27 1:11 PM
in reply to: chichitao

User image

Master

I tend to stay on track better when using MFP.

It will be nice when all of the beer is out of the house. I crave carbs and yeasty foods so beer is dangerous to have around. Once the college kids go back to school the beer should be gone!

I'm still allowing myself to have a bit more leniency with food until the holidays are over. I am going to continue with the goals from last week and also start logging and wearing the FitBit again.

I haven't weighed in a few weeks. Mainly because I don't want to see the damage from the holidays.Sooner than later that is something that needs to be done.

2013-12-27 5:25 PM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Expert
Ontario
Subject: RE: Enders_Shadow's Group - eating clean & getting lean - OPEN

Originally posted by enders_shadow Question # 2 Do you track your food? What program do you use? Do you like it or feel like it is a chore? Do you think it helps you?

I have used sparkpeople, MFP and BT to track food and find them all time consuming and chore like.  I know myself and know that if I eat healthy and cut out the junk I will lose weight.  Tracking has never helped me to eat better and being a shift worker my online time is sporadic and its hard to be consistent with the tracking.  It is easier with the MFP phone app that scans the barcode but I still found it hard to be consistent with it.

2013-12-27 9:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
I too have been mildly "under the weather" manifesting as a lot of coughing, sneezing and a sinus headache which is really unusual for me. So I missed just a few hours of reading messages here and now find I'm way behind. I'll try and comment on all the interesting things people have written so far:

Catwoman - I'm looking forward to trying your "green smoothie" although I might leave out the carrots. I read an article awhile back about dark beers as an ideal recovery drink so I'll imbibe in moderation whenever I can. I do love green tea but I had a Dr. Pepper today - 1st in a long time. I have to say it didn't satisfy the way it used to - so maybe I can resist pop for awhile before the next one.

Cathyd - I only drink Tim's coffee each day after swimming three days a week. Otherwise, I don't really care much for coffee.

Marilyn - I really liked your 80/20 clean/cheat idea. Seems like quite a reasonable goal - I'll keep it in mid although I may have to aim for 10% cheat to get no more than 20%.

Tim - I used to be a junk food junkie with a lot of emphasis on burgers and pizza but I've really been uninterested, not tempted by any fast foods for about a year now.

Kirsten - I'll post some recipes over the next little while and hopefully anyone else may kick in a few more good ones - really curious about the Texas Mexican food - really love a good taco or fajita.

I don't log my food intake but it might be a really good idea for me. I think my biggest problem is portion control.

Edited by wenceslasz 2013-12-27 9:33 PM
2013-12-27 9:36 PM
in reply to: 91Diligence

User image

Master
MidWest

It's been a busy few days here.  Sorry I have been MIA!  I am going to start my New Year off with a bang!  We have a local fun run called the Get Lit run and I am going to run in it to return to my running lifestyle.  I am trying to watch what I eat but the kids all got me chocolate caramel clusters for Christmas and those are definitely my weakness.  

I leave next Friday for San Antonio to surprise my mom (and dad) for her birthday.  She and my SIL started running this year and have completed the Color Run so I'm hoping Mom will go out with me a few times.  I know they started walking because of me.  

I am looking to set a couple of races for this next year (I need races to keep me motivated).  There is one in Madison that I would like to do with another BTer and I will sign up for the Indianapolis Monumental marathon (my hometown).  Would like to find another race to do in mid-spring.  I'm in central Illinois, but if you have a half that is near you and and me and you would like to have a partner-in-crime for the race, let me know and I'll see if I can make it happen on my end.

2013-12-28 8:38 AM
in reply to: chichitao

User image

Master
MidWest

Originally posted by chichitao I too have used MyFitnessPal. Used it religiously for months last year and it worked great. But after you've logged long enough, you learn what the portion size should be and how many calories you are taking in. So I don't log anymore. My problem is making myself eat the way I KNOW I should be eating. Anyone else ever get sick of eating bad? I am really close to reaching that point. Which is a good thing for me. The big greasy burgers, pizza, etc, just do not sound appealing right now (b/c I have eaten so much of it the past 6mo). Yesterday we went out to a sports bar for a bday party and everyone got burgers and I ended up with grilled trout and spinach! When I eat bad for so long, I start craving the good, healthy foods again...now just to keep that going!

My kids laugh at me when we go out to eat.  I will inevitably order something relatively healthy off of the menu!  That isn't to say that I don't crave fast food--cuz I most certainly do--I also crave the healthy stuff.  I keep brussel sprouts, broccoli, sweet potatoes (for baking), salad makings (dried cranberries, walnuts, feta cheese) on hand.  I also keep some of my favorite crackers on hand.  I have found that if I try to deny myself the things that I crave the craving intensifies.  

I have about 15-20 pounds I would like to lose before summer returns.  I don't think it will be a big problem, just need to be super diligent in my eating habits.  I have never really tracked my eating religiously as I'm not that good at it, but I do pay attention to what is going in (and out).  

2013-12-28 8:38 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

I've been MIA too; busy with Christmas.  My son had to leave the day after Christmas for work, so I went ahead and took down my tree right away in order to get things back to normal as soon as possible.  I've also checked my frige/cupboards for any foods that could throw me off track and got rid of them (did not have much since my son eats pretty healthy already).  And I've worked out a training plan and new goals for the new year.  Now I am painting the living room before I have to go back to work!  I did my kitchen and bathrooms last month.

Question # 2

Do you track your food? What program do you use? Do you like it or feel like it is a chore? Do you think it helps you?

I LOVE the CRON-O-METER!  ... because you can set a ratio for your macronutrients.  I can plug in all of the foods I want to eat for the next day and see exactly how many calories, carbs, fats, and proteins I am consuming.  I adjust the ratio depending on my training volume.  Right now I need to set it for low carb/high fat & protein until I can get this weight back down.  I plan to start the 21-day Sugar Detox starting January 2.

2013-12-28 8:41 AM
in reply to: Maria527

User image

Master
MidWest

Originally posted by Maria527

I've been MIA too; busy with Christmas.  My son had to leave the day after Christmas for work, so I went ahead and took down my tree right away in order to get things back to normal as soon as possible.  I've also checked my frige/cupboards for any foods that could throw me off track and got rid of them (did not have much since my son eats pretty healthy already).  And I've worked out a training plan and new goals for the new year.  Now I am painting the living room before I have to go back to work!  I did my kitchen and bathrooms last month.

Question # 2

Do you track your food? What program do you use? Do you like it or feel like it is a chore? Do you think it helps you?

I LOVE the CRON-O-METER!  ... because you can set a ratio for your macronutrients.  I can plug in all of the foods I want to eat for the next day and see exactly how many calories, carbs, fats, and proteins I am consuming.  I adjust the ratio depending on my training volume.  Right now I need to set it for low carb/high fat & protein until I can get this weight back down.  I plan to start the 21-day Sugar Detox starting January 2.

Maria how does the detox work?  I've been thinking about it but no one has really explained how it works.  I would also be interested in learning how to decide how much low carb/high fat and protein I need to jump start my weight loss.

2013-12-28 8:54 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario

Got on the scale this morning and I've gained 2 lbs over the past two weeks which is not bad for me, there were years that I gained 10 and took two months to get it off again.  My last family get together is today which is a potluck dinner at my brothers house and my family is full of really good cooks who make really yummy food but none of them have concerns about making it healthy.  The odd thing is that only one of them has a weight problem although I don't think any of them exercise or are into any sports or fitness.  Anyway I will have oatmeal for breakfast, go for a run and try to use restraint but allow myself to eat a bit of everything.

Along with my run goals for the year I also have a goal in 2014 to be able to do real pushups and unassisted pullups.  I think 10 pushups is reasonable but I'll be happy with just one pullup, a goal I may change depending how it goes. 

Question:  do you do strength training regularly?  If so what kind of plan do you follow?

2013-12-28 9:09 AM
in reply to: cathyd

User image

Master
MidWest

Question:  do you do strength training regularly?  If so what kind of plan do you follow?

I haven't done any specific strength  training in quite a while, but I have realized that I need to start again.  I really enjoy doing planks---crazy?  IKR--and I don't mind ab workouts.  I'm not really a fan of weights though  

2013-12-28 9:49 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Originally posted by Maria527

I plan to start the 21-day Sugar Detox starting January 2.

I have the original PDF e-book (before the printed one) - I'd love to start too! Maybe we can hold hands & do it together!

2013-12-28 9:52 AM

User image

Master
MidWest

Originally posted by enders_shadow
Originally posted by Maria527 I plan to start the 21-day Sugar Detox starting January 2.
I have the original PDF e-book (before the printed one) - I'd love to start too! Maybe we can hold hands & do it together!

Can you share the PDF?

2013-12-28 11:01 AM
in reply to: #4915315

I use MFP to track my food. I am lazy about it but when I track, my body reacts very nicely.

I strength train regularly off season. I used to be more on the bodybuilder side of things before switching to triathlons.
2013-12-28 4:30 PM

User image

Champion
Will fix the rest of the table later; have dinner reservations.

Name User Name Link to Log
Kristen enders_shadow LINK
Michelle michmich LINK
Rene Catwoman LINK
Cathy Cathyd LINK
George wenceslasz LINK
Andrea rustymom LINK
Tim chichitao LINK
Melissa yogachic LINK
Marilyn mehaner LINK
Maria maria527 LINK
Beth BAMBAM66 LINK
Maggie skitri LINK
Jim 91Diligence LINK
Jaime Oneshakeaday LINK

Edited by enders_shadow 2013-12-28 7:26 PM
2013-12-28 7:20 PM

User image

Expert

Question # 2

I used to track food pretty closely using Sparkpeople. Then I switched over the MyFitnessPal, but wasn't as regular with it. I definitely feel like it's a chore, but it does help! It's a good tool to get an idea of how much to eat, but a bit of a pain to do long-term.
2013-12-28 7:27 PM

User image

Champion
If you quote this, you can copy the HTML and copy it to your training log or otherwise so we can inspire each other.

Name User Name Link to Log
Kristen enders_shadow LINK
Michelle michmich LINK
Rene Catwoman LINK
Cathy Cathyd LINK
George wenceslasz LINK
Andrea rustymom LINK
Tim chichitao LINK
Melissa yogachic LINK
Marilyn mehaner LINK
Maria maria527 LINK
Beth BAMBAM66 LINK
Maggie skitri LINK
Jim 91Diligence LINK
Jaime Oneshakeaday LINK

Edited by enders_shadow 2013-12-28 7:43 PM

2013-12-28 9:26 PM

User image

Master
MidWest

Originally posted by enders_shadow If you quote this, you can copy the HTML and copy it to your training log or otherwise so we can inspire each other.

NameUser NameLink to Log
Kristenenders_shadowLINK
MichellemichmichLINK
ReneCatwomanLINK
CathyCathydLINK
GeorgewenceslaszLINK
AndrearustymomLINK
TimchichitaoLINK
AndrewbullfrogLINK
MelissayogachicLINK
MarilynmehanerLINK
Mariamaria527LINK
BethBAMBAM66LINK
MaggieskitriLINK
Jim91DiligenceLINK
JaimeOneshakeadayLINK

I must be a nitwit tonight because I can't get it to copy.  

2013-12-28 9:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Just looking at your chart - did Bullfrog/Andrew (from NZ) drop out or was he just missed?

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on how to limit my bread consumption. I don't eat as much as I used to but I'm still eating more than I think I should.

I'd also like to ask our Texans about refried beans - do you make your own or do you open a can? Not sure how clean the canned refried beans are but I thought they might be a good ingredient in my wraps. Or is it better just to include beans on their own.

Thanks for any thoughts/opinions.
2013-12-29 5:57 AM
in reply to: cathyd

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by cathyd

I try to do some body weight exercises daily. Right now I aim for 3x10 calf raises, 3x10 squats, 3x10 elevated pushups, 3x10 chair dips.
Occasionally I do straight leg deadlifts with dumbbells.

I got some Stretchcordz for Christmas, so I may add these to my "strength" work.
2013-12-29 6:56 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Champion
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Just looking at your chart - did Bullfrog/Andrew (from NZ) drop out or was he just missed?

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on how to limit my bread consumption. I don't eat as much as I used to but I'm still eating more than I think I should.

I'd also like to ask our Texans about refried beans - do you make your own or do you open a can? Not sure how clean the canned refried beans are but I thought they might be a good ingredient in my wraps. Or is it better just to include beans on their own.

Thanks, George - I did forget Andrew! Sorry, Andrew!!! I will fix the chart later this afternoon.
2013-12-30 6:10 AM
in reply to: #4915315

User image

Veteran
I see Andrew in the middle of the chart above.

Back to work for me today. Need to set a reminder to move around every 30 minutes. My desk job is so sedentary.

2013-12-30 8:32 AM
in reply to: rustymom

User image

Expert
Ontario
I'm working today too, then off for a week. Plan to run lots
2013-12-30 9:56 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Originally posted by wenceslasz

I personally just go with the canned variety. I've found the taste isn't that much different, but the homemade version takes a fair amount of time. Gotta cook the beans for hours first, then chop and cook the onions, then mash and fry up the beans. If you check labels most brands now are not too bad. I usually go with a no-fat vegetarian refried black bean. I can't speak to the taste of the organic brands like this:

http://www.amys.com/products/product-detail/beans-and-chili/000558

but can be option if you are looking for a little cleaner ingredient list. Just go easy on the amount you spread and you should be fine. Very good source of protein and fiber. Have you looked into making homemade black beans? Very easy in a crock pot and good to use in wraps and all sorts of recipes, or just as a side dish.

PS - I only serve myself and wife the canned stuff. If I ever make beans for guests it is the homemade version.

Edited by chichitao 2013-12-30 9:59 AM
2013-12-30 3:18 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

Originally posted by Maria527 I plan to start the 21-day Sugar Detox starting January 2.

I have the original e-book too!  But unfortunately, I never completed the detox.  I did successfully cut out all sugar and carbs on Atkins back in 2008 and easily lost 20 pounds.  But then when I started long-distance endurance training, I started gaining it back and can't seem to get it under control.  Excessive cardio = excessive appetite.  It also means fueling with high sugar/carb sports nutrition.  But now that I am cutting back on distance, I hope to eliminate the need for sports nutrition.

Beth -  I sent the e-book and the 21-Day Sugar Detox page through facebook.

Cathy - I believe in consistent strength training at least twice a week with particular attention to core.  I prefer doing Body Pump at the health club because it is fun to have an instructor and do with a group.  Otherwise I do the Kathy Smith strength training DVD at home with dumbbells.  I hope to get more consistent this year!

2013-12-30 4:56 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by enders_shadow Question # 2 Do you track your food? What program do you use? Do you like it or feel like it is a chore? Do you think it helps you?

i go through phases.  it is absolutely helpful and motivating - but when i'm struggling it makes me give up and get frustrated more easily.  i tracked meticulously when i competed so i have a really good sense of portion sizes and calories without looking it up so i sometimes find it a little tedious - especially when i eat similar meals several times a day or week.  i like logging in a notebook by hand cause i like to log how i felt/what i struggled with/combine it with journaling.  the logging on BT is not too terrible, really, and allows the combo.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Enders_Shadow's Group - eating clean & getting lean - FULL Rss Feed  

of 18

RELATED POSTS

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by BrotherTri
Views: 19765 Posts: 308

2014-04-13 8:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24248 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16043 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29453 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : May 12, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I'm too slow for some group rides and of course I want to increase it for races. What exercise/training should I be focusing on?
date : March 5, 2009
author : mrakes1
Discussions on an eating plan to lose weight, lean protein sources, being hungry, recovery foods, eggs and Marni's favorite supplements.

date : March 2, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 5
Dirty bike chain? Have you ever thought about cleaning it? We cover the basics of how to clean your bike chain and the use of different cleaners, degreasers and lubricants.
date : April 1, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Coaches and parents alike want their athletes to eat well and be healthy. The struggling athletes just want people to stop policing their eating and exercise.

date : February 7, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
The suggestions guide you towards an eating style that's simple and practical, yet can effectively help you eat well to perform well, despite today’s bewildering food environment.