BT Mentor Program 2014 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: Ron Reply
Show Per page

of 31

2014-04-24 8:32 AM
in reply to: tweets_4611

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silver member
Subject: RE: Still here!
Originally posted by tweets_4611

I just wanted to pop in and say hi! I've been horribly absent for quite a while now. I've been reading the thread, and had an occasional run now and then, but I've completely fallen off any sort of real training.

I've had a pretty stressful personal situation come up, and when I get stressed I don't really function. Go to work, come home and sleep =/ Not the best way to deal with stress. It looks like I will be making a pretty big change soon, assuming I find the courage and nothing pops up in the next couple of weeks. Ideally I'll make this move and be able to get back into life. I hate seeing so many days pass by where I feel like I'm not really part of the world.

My first tri was supposed to be this weekend =( I'm so disappointed in myself that I let my training fall apart to where I'm not going to be able to do it. I've never swam anywhere close to the distance, and although it's only a sprint, the swim is open water and I really don't feel I can finish even that leg. When I signed up for this one I also signed up for one in August. My goal, starting in May, is to start training for the August Tri. I will complete a tri this year.

I've ridden my grandpa's bike just one short time. I've never ridden a bike with the clips or cages on the pedals and it scared me a bit! I kept thinking that if I fell I'd just hit the ground b/c my feet are stuck in the pedals. I'm really looking forward to riding it more.

It's so awesome to see everyone's progress!! I'm proud of you guys, and it motivates me to get back into things as soon as I can. Good luck to everyone who has an upcoming even, and keep up all the great training! ^_^

Shannon

Shannon it is so funny that you posted because I knew Kemah was this weekend and thought about you. I have checked in on your log throughout the months and went again yesterday to see if you were still going to do it, but saw that you had not logged in for over a month. We all fall down, what is important is that we get back up and go at it again. Great to have you back, just stay around this time

2014-04-24 1:35 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Still here!
The tri being this weekend is why I think I posted again. I've felt horrible that I'm not going to do it, and I keep thinking "maybe I will..." but I've never even tried on a wet suit, never swam the distance, and I don't want to get discouraged by getting into something so far over my head at this level. I know it's better to pass it up, and try again at another, but I feel almost ashamed that I've come up so far short of my goals.

I'm just going to reorganize my goals, and get back at it. The Bridgeland tri in August is warm enough to not need a wetsuit, and it's at a man made lake. I've never really done an open water swim of any sort besides splashing around at the beach, so I'm glad I won't have to worry about that for now.

I'm posting again, which typically means I'm on my way back up. I become very anti-social and very, very quiet when I get stressed. I rode my grandpa's bike last night It's really nice, but I need to get it adjusted. It's just a bit too tall. I'm excited to have it and start riding again.
2014-04-24 1:39 PM
in reply to: cassowary

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silver member
Subject: RE: Overuse Injuries
Originally posted by cassowary

Thanks Todd and Anna.

While I have some downtime healing, I have some gear questions...

SPD or SPD SL Pedals?
I currently have SPD pedals, but my SPD clips are attached a road bike shoe. I don't think this is ideal. I figure I should do one of the following:

1) Stay with the SPD pedals, but get a Mt bike shoes for a recessed cleat so that I can jog at T1
2) Get new SPD SL pedals and new road bike shoes.

Any thoughts?

I have always only used SPD SL pedals and never had an issue or thought about buying or using anything else. If you are worried running with the cleat on the shoes it is not a big deal, I do it all the time. I do not leave my shoes clipped in because I like to wear socks and don't want grass, dirt, rocks, and everything else on the bottom of them when I put on either pair of shoes during the race. My road bike and TT bike both have them and I just use the same pair of shoes for both. Don't get me wrong I could see the SPD's at the best thing if you are mountain biking or something like that.
New Thread
BT Mentor Program 2014 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  
Show Per page

of 31

RELATED POSTS

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by juniperjen
Views: 7774 Posts: 313

2014-04-22 1:05 AM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 4851 Posts: 115

2014-04-03 7:55 AM gsmacleod

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 11058 Posts: 387

2014-04-24 2:51 PM tiffanyosh

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 5849 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.
date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 11
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.