Other Resources Athena & Clydesdale Triathletes » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: BikerGrrrl, Ron Reply
Show Per page

of 52

2014-09-29 8:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!!
Sort of proud of Cindy Flanagan. She got home late tonight, around 615 pm. (Which is normal time for her) But she saddled up and got her 4.5 mile bike ride in before dusk anyway. Good for her!

Sort of mad at her too though. We had planned to ride together, so she had told me she would be home between 5 and 530. So there I sat, on the deck, waiting until 600, when I finally decided the heck with it and I would ride by myself. I had planned to ride one easy lap with her and then get a second easy lap in solo to increase my mileage. I let her being late get in my head and I went out hard from the git-go, which explains why I averaged 14 mph for the first 4 miles. By the time I climbed that last half mile to the house I had nothing left to attempt a second lap, even if I had believed I could have finished before it got too dusky to be safe.

Now, having been a motor-ref for USAC pro bicycle races and official motor for several USAT races I have been less than pleased that I wasn't riding at even a SLOW 18 mph pace. But wait a minute. Pushing a 380 pound body at 14 mph is no mean feat! Feeling better since I thought of it that way.

Edited by leatherneckpa 2014-09-29 8:05 PM

2014-09-30 10:19 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Champion
Gold member

Originally posted by leatherneckpa Sort of proud of Cindy Flanagan. She got home late tonight, around 615 pm. (Which is normal time for her) But she saddled up and got her 4.5 mile bike ride in before dusk anyway. Good for her! Sort of mad at her too though. We had planned to ride together, so she had told me she would be home between 5 and 530. So there I sat, on the deck, waiting until 600, when I finally decided the heck with it and I would ride by myself. I had planned to ride one easy lap with her and then get a second easy lap in solo to increase my mileage. I let her being late get in my head and I went out hard from the git-go, which explains why I averaged 14 mph for the first 4 miles. By the time I climbed that last half mile to the house I had nothing left to attempt a second lap, even if I had believed I could have finished before it got too dusky to be safe. Now, having been a motor-ref for USAC pro bicycle races and official motor for several USAT races I have been less than pleased that I wasn't riding at even a SLOW 18 mph pace. But wait a minute. Pushing a 380 pound body at 14 mph is no mean feat! Feeling better since I thought of it that way.

I love how you call 18 mph slow! I would LOVE to do that in a race. Good for Cindy, Good for you. Now.. stop letting other folks take residence in your head!

2014-09-30 7:36 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Robin, you have to remember that before this all my bicycling experience was riding my motorcycle along with pelotons for races like the Tour of Georgia or Tour of Missouri. The first year I worked ToM they actually had a mandatory meeting for team captains and directors after the first day of racing to tell them that if they didn't start acting like this was a pro race there would not be a second year. All through the race we kept waiting for somebody to make a break, but it never happened. They finished the race that day with an average speed of 18 mph, but there were many miles where they were only doing 16 or 17 miles. Finally the Nat Comm in charge of the race pulled up alongside the peloton and told them that if they didn't start RACING he was going to DQ them all and forfeit the leg. Then he put that out over the radio to the team cars too.

But like I said, I think even George Hincapie would have a hard time pushing 380 pounds at 14 mph.
2014-09-30 7:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
400 yards of swimming tonight
3x50, 1x100, 3x50
After that first 1x100 I knew there was no way I was going to push it for 2 of them. Still, I'm happy with what I got tonight. It's coming along slowly, but it IS coming along. Followed up with 10 minutes hot tub and 15 minutes sauna.

That was after my annual physical, at which I received a clean bill of health. My doctor spent almost fifteen minutes going over my training intentions and asking questions. Then he said it sounded like I knew what I was doing, was doing it in a gentle enough progression, and to have fun doing it. I have his blessing.

Edited by leatherneckpa 2014-09-30 7:40 PM
2014-10-01 2:13 PM

User image

Champion
Arlington Heights, Illinois
I am so glad its all coming together. Slowly but still progress is progress. That is what I tell myself all the time.

I not sure if I shared this but decided not to run Chicago Marathon. at 320 lbs I have done it before but not this out of shape. If I had 8 hours I might go for it but at 6.5 it would be a little hard. I train 2.5 miles every day at the pace I would have to do 26.2. that 2.5 miles been kinda hard. I am trying to remind myself to focus on weight lose as my primary goal and everything else will fall into place.
2014-10-01 2:18 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

Originally posted by leatherneckpa 400 yards of swimming tonight 3x50, 1x100, 3x50 After that first 1x100 I knew there was no way I was going to push it for 2 of them. Still, I'm happy with what I got tonight. It's coming along slowly, but it IS coming along. Followed up with 10 minutes hot tub and 15 minutes sauna. That was after my annual physical, at which I received a clean bill of health. My doctor spent almost fifteen minutes going over my training intentions and asking questions. Then he said it sounded like I knew what I was doing, was doing it in a gentle enough progression, and to have fun doing it. I have his blessing.

YaY for Doctors blessing!

2014-10-01 2:19 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Champion
Gold member

Originally posted by chirunner134 I am so glad its all coming together. Slowly but still progress is progress. That is what I tell myself all the time. I not sure if I shared this but decided not to run Chicago Marathon. at 320 lbs I have done it before but not this out of shape. If I had 8 hours I might go for it but at 6.5 it would be a little hard. I train 2.5 miles every day at the pace I would have to do 26.2. that 2.5 miles been kinda hard. I am trying to remind myself to focus on weight lose as my primary goal and everything else will fall into place.

Your last line says it all. No need in doing something that will either hurt you or discourage you. Keep up the good work and then you can kill that marathon later!

2014-10-01 4:49 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Originally posted by chirunner134..... decided not to run Chicago Marathon. at 320 lbs..... I am trying to remind myself to focus on weight lose as my primary goal and everything else will fall into place.

IMO, a very smart decision on your part. I just can't imagine a marathon at that weight being good for your knees/ankles. Give it time dude, you'll get back to where you want to be, and then you can not only nail it but feel good about doing it too.

Nothing from me today. Wednesday is my designated rest day because I can't squeeze anything in between school dismissal and our WW's meeting.
New Thread
Other Resources Athena & Clydesdale Triathletes » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  
Show Per page

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 13085 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 49134 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 6746 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 14812 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 33 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 0
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 8
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
date : September 19, 2004
author : Michael
I’m a C-L-Y-D-E-S-D-A-L-E! Many people in the sport know the division is there, but many of them think that it's a 'fat boys division.' So what constitutes a Clydesdale? Why even have this class?

date : September 3, 2004
author : Ron
What happens in your body when you eat, fast or workout?