General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Wales Training Plan - Don Fink vs Trilife Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-21 11:59 AM

Subject: Ironman Wales Training Plan - Don Fink vs Trilife
Hey folks,

I've signed up to my first Ironman race (Wales 2014) and I'm keen to follow a training programme which will help me get ready for the big day. At the mo, I'm torn between two training plans...

The first is Don Fink's 30-week Competitive programme, the other is a race-specific 36 week plan designed by the guys from thetrilife.com.

As it stands, I own a copy of Don Fink's book and it seems to be a good, general plan to follow. However, the much more expensive plan from the Trilife seems to be tailored for the Ironman Wales course and you also get some help and advice from the coaches. This sounds ideal but I'm wondering if it's worth the money!?

I'm planning to start my training in the New Year either way but I would really love to hear if anyone has followed one of these plans and what they thought about it?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Ben

2013-12-30 4:27 PM
in reply to: frenchben

Subject: RE: Ironman Wales Training Plan - Don Fink vs Trilife
Hi Ben

I have found it really difficult to find a training plan that works for me during prep for IMUK 2012 and 2013. In 2012 I pretty much followed a very very simple plan at http://www.cluboceano.com/13.htm and in 2013 I tried to follow the Joe Friel Triathlon Bible but failed miserably as I found t too structured and in-flexible. This year I am following the Ben Greenfield Tri-Ripped plan (if you're interest I talk about it here http://www.ironcrab.com/2013/12/conquering-ironman-uk-2014/) which I am feeling pretty good about. I would say the best thing is to just get out there train and don't overthink it. Be confident you have done enough training before you start.

Hopefully all goes well and good luck for Wales
2013-12-31 5:01 AM
in reply to: #4916504

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. I like the look of those two plans, especially because of the time involved. I'm going to stick to the Don Fink programme I think but try and squeeze in more high intensity workouts (that's what has been recommended to me by other IM triathletes).

Anyway, I would love to hear how you get on with the tri-ripped programme - I'll check out your blog again after your race.

Best of luck with the training and the race and thanks again for your help.

Cheers

Ben
2014-01-01 4:42 PM
in reply to: #4920910

Thanks Ben. Good luck again. Hopefully someone can answer you question above.

Thanks
2014-01-02 4:15 AM
in reply to: ajcrabtree

User image

Regular
IM Wales is ALL about the hills, I've done Wales twice and didn't use a plan on either. I simply got out there and trained on hills. Hills, hills, hills and more hills. Not to be confused with one big mountain. It's known as one of the toughest bike courses in the world because of the relentless hills.
The run is also hilly, Good news though, the swim is pretty flat.

I don't know anything about the plans that you are looking at, but when your making your decision, bear in mind that you will need to do a lot of hill work.
Best of luck.
2014-01-02 9:30 AM
in reply to: ajcrabtree

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by ajcrabtree

Hi Ben

I have found it really difficult to find a training plan that works for me during prep for IMUK 2012 and 2013. In 2012 I pretty much followed a very very simple plan at http://www.cluboceano.com/13.htm and in 2013 I tried to follow the Joe Friel Triathlon Bible but failed miserably as I found t too structured and in-flexible. This year I am following the Ben Greenfield Tri-Ripped plan (if you're interest I talk about it here http://www.ironcrab.com/2013/12/conquering-ironman-uk-2014/) which I am feeling pretty good about. I would say the best thing is to just get out there train and don't overthink it. Be confident you have done enough training before you start.

Hopefully all goes well and good luck for Wales

Best of luck in your journey and I hope your training and racing go well. I did want to point out that Ben Greenfield has said that his Tri-Ripped program is not really designed for serious triathletes who are looking to race toward their potential but rather for those who want to look good while doing triathlons.

Since you still have lots of time in case you wanted to consider a different program, I thought this might be valuable to you.

All the best,

Shane

2014-01-02 3:06 PM
in reply to: #4921952

Thanks Shane

The reason I went for the tri-ripped is its flexibility. However I am changing it slightly for the reasons you mention above. I will follow the plan substituting one of the swim sessions for an indoor rower session and will doing a lot of sessions on the weekend with my local tri club. One other thing is the tri-ripped sessions are not as onerous as I'd expected so can easily be fitted in during my lunch time.

Like you said I've still got time to tweak it if needed.

Thanks again
Andrew
http://www.ironcrab.com
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Wales Training Plan - Don Fink vs Trilife Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Proper way to adjust Don Fink training plan...

Started by tuckert
Views: 2972 Posts: 4

2011-10-09 8:41 AM tuckert

Adapting Don Fink's Be Iron Fit IM plan to HIM

Started by TriRSquared
Views: 4177 Posts: 7

2011-08-05 3:18 PM Oldteen

Training Plan Help (Don Fink Competitive Program)

Started by Mike In Seattle
Views: 4556 Posts: 8

2010-07-23 7:36 PM rottieguy

Anyone using Don Fink's IM plan?

Started by CourtneyM
Views: 12661 Posts: 14

2009-04-25 12:44 AM toddg

Don Fink's Be Iron Fit Plan Question

Started by mattb1
Views: 2400 Posts: 3

2009-02-15 11:07 PM VinemanCalifornia
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season

date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.
date : July 7, 2009
author : qt2systems
comments : 1
In this first part of Training for an Ironman, Jesse Kropelnicki will discuss some Ironman training plan periodization fundamentals.

date : January 9, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This plan is an advanced plan in terms of volume and intensity and appropriate for someone who is looking to go under 5:00 and as fast as 4:30. There isn’t a lot of fluff in the plan.
date : November 20, 2007
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.

date : May 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
Discussions on periodization, tubular vs clinchers, swimming cadence, 650's vs 700's, plan priority, RAAM after double IM and swim training before race day.
date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.