BT Development Mentor Program Archives » We Don't Just Tri - We Do (Season 2) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2014-01-26 8:19 PM
in reply to: sundevil87

User image

Subject: RE: We Don't Just Tri - We Do (Season 2) - Closed
Originally posted by sundevil87
Have fun - it hurts like the dickens. But it works, I promise.

I'd say that buying the book "can't hurt", but it sounds like it might!

2014-01-27 12:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, California
Had a week dealing with illness and am anxious to get back to training. I will have to make up for a lost week on my half marathon plan so am a bit nervous about my mileage increase. I think I will be able to adjust it once I get some basic runs in and will have to keep my focus and intensity up.

Edited by MamacitaT 2014-01-27 12:37 AM
2014-01-27 12:33 AM

User image

, California
Originally posted by sundevil87Came across an interesting product today (actually, an advertisment I rec'd on FB). It is called Swim IT. Few would argue that the most dangerous event in triathlon and the one that causes the most anxiety is the swim. People have died during the swim. Unlike the bike or the run where if you are in trouble you can stop. In swimming, if you get in trouble it is possible for bad things to come.Well, where there is a need, somebody comes in and fills the void. The Swim IT is a swim safety device that is apparently USAT and WTC approved.Here is the link: http://www.myswimit.com/LikeI said, it is the first I've seen of this product. I'll be doing some research to see what people are saying. If you have experience with it let us know.Thom
This product looks fabulous but may not be able to help with California's issue in the fall - wildlife. I am an unfortunate Shark Week junkie and know that the great whites migrate through our area in October - when do you think my first triathlon was?? October. All I kept thinking about was keeping close enough to 2-3 other swimmers so, I wouldn't be singled out - Crazy I know but that was what was going through my mind. I grew up swimming in the Columbia River , lived in the water during the summer and was a lifeguard from high school through my college years so I am confident in my swimming abilities. I love lakes , rivers and pools, but am a bit nervous who I share the ocean with :0 I need to stay away from The Discovery Channel . Do you think they make shark repellant in this form

Edited by MamacitaT 2014-01-27 12:39 AM
2014-01-27 4:41 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England
The magic weight measure this morning was 100.5 kilos that's 6 kilos in 4 weeks around 13 pounds. So well exited for next Monday when I will be under 100 kilos.
2014-01-27 5:59 AM
in reply to: Jynxy

Originally posted by Jynxy

The magic weight measure this morning was 100.5 kilos that's 6 kilos in 4 weeks around 13 pounds. So well exited for next Monday when I will be under 100 kilos.

That is brilliant mate, well done for the hard work this takes
2014-01-27 6:02 AM
in reply to: MamacitaT

Originally posted by MamacitaT

Had a week dealing with illness and am anxious to get back to training. I will have to make up for a lost week on my half marathon plan so am a bit nervous about my mileage increase. I think I will be able to adjust it once I get some basic runs in and will have to keep my focus and intensity up.

I would be careful of increasing your mileage too much. IF you haven't done anything or a week you are a little less fit now that at the start so even doing last weeks mileage could be pushing it. Good luck

2014-01-27 12:13 PM
in reply to: davert123

User image

, California

Originally posted by davert123
Originally posted by Jynxy The magic weight measure this morning was 100.5 kilos that's 6 kilos in 4 weeks around 13 pounds. So well exited for next Monday when I will be under 100 kilos.
That is brilliant mate, well done for the hard work this takes

Congratulations! Nice work

2014-01-27 1:54 PM

User image

, California

I finally got one! Here is the new baby. I took it out for a nice ride today. Felt good to be active after being sick for a week.

(photo.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
photo.JPG (110KB - 6 downloads)
2014-01-27 2:02 PM

User image

Chelmsford, England

I finally got one! Here is the new baby. I took it out for a nice ride today. Felt good to be active after being sick for a week.

Wow that's a really long seat stem
2014-01-27 3:21 PM

User image

, California

Meaning poor fit?

2014-01-27 3:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado

Meaning poor fit?

It wouldn't necessarily mean a poor fit at all. I don't know road bikes as well as tri bikes but tri bikes tend to have fairly long seat posts.

I had a bike that was too small for me - my first bike in fact. The frame was too small by several sizes (and I was fit by the shop - a well known shop at that and they still got it wrong). To make the geometry work correctly I had a really long seat post and handlebar stem to compensate.

Stem length is important to get the optimal position for your legs to generate the best power. An improper fit here can be dangerous to your knee health (if adjusted too low) or power generation.

A way to tell if your seat is too high would be to pay attention to handling. If the bike feels unstable, especially in turns and perhaps in downhills, consider the seat height and bike frame size as a possible culprit.

If the bike shop fit you correctly to the frame then the seat post length isn't likely to be a problem. That would be my take.

2014-01-27 4:36 PM

User image

There have been a couple of posts about sore necks and not being able to turn your head. It came on suddenly, after the workout, or maybe after sleeping wrong the night before.

I have seen this quite a bit. It happens to me all too often. The problem is not in your neck. It is emanating from trigger points located on your back - in your trapezius to be specific,along the edge of your shoulder blades. Usually right along side the scapula anywhere from the top to the bottom. Usually though, they are near the middle to the bottom. Once you relieve those your problem will magically go away.

The way I work mine is with a lacrosse ball on a sock. I lay the ball over my shoulder and lean up against the wall. I roll my back over the ball until I find a spot that really hurts. I mean - really hurts. Then I press in harder. Breath hard through the pain. Usually you'll feel a spot pain but also a referred pain up the neck. Alternatively you can have your spouse, friend, dominatrix or some other person that might delight in your pain work it for you. You will know when they find it. They can use their thumb, elbow, knuckle etc. to locate the TP and press on that bad boy.

I believe in, use, evangelize etc. etc. the following book: The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief, it can be picked up at Amazon for $18 paper back or 10 bucks kindle. If you don't already own it - I highly recommend it be part of your library.

If you're having pain today - for about 10 bucks you can get the kindle version and be working on a solution tonight,

Have fun - it hurts like the dickens. But it works, I promise. (legal disclaimer, that is of course you are suffering from what I've just described )

I have a lacrosse ball I use on my legs and to get at other "knots"...I'm going to try this just in general because I suffer from migraine's due to points on the shoulder blade.
2014-01-27 4:38 PM

User image

She is beautiful!
2014-01-27 4:39 PM

User image

Columbia, Missouri

Originally posted by Jynxy The magic weight measure this morning was 100.5 kilos that's 6 kilos in 4 weeks around 13 pounds. So well exited for next Monday when I will be under 100 kilos.

Awesome! Keep up the great work Jynxy!

2014-01-27 4:40 PM

User image

Columbia, Missouri

Beautiful bike!

2014-01-27 5:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar

Came across an interesting product today (actually, an advertisment I rec'd on FB). It is called Swim IT. Few would argue that the most dangerous event in triathlon and the one that causes the most anxiety is the swim. People have died during the swim. Unlike the bike or the run where if you are in trouble you can stop. In swimming, if you get in trouble it is possible for bad things to come.

Well, where there is a need, somebody comes in and fills the void. The Swim IT is a swim safety device that is apparently USAT and WTC approved.

Here is the link: http://www.myswimit.com/

Like I said, it is the first I've seen of this product. I'll be doing some research to see what people are saying. If you have experience with it let us know.

Thom

One of our club members had a case of SIPE (Swim Induced Pulmonary Edema) during one of our club swims, fortunately there were people on hand to help her back to shore and get medical attention, she now wears this anytime she swims as suggested by her doctor, looks like a great device to have, you just never know?

2014-01-27 5:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar

Meaning poor fit?

It wouldn't necessarily mean a poor fit at all. I don't know road bikes as well as tri bikes but tri bikes tend to have fairly long seat posts.

I had a bike that was too small for me - my first bike in fact. The frame was too small by several sizes (and I was fit by the shop - a well known shop at that and they still got it wrong). To make the geometry work correctly I had a really long seat post and handlebar stem to compensate.

Stem length is important to get the optimal position for your legs to generate the best power. An improper fit here can be dangerous to your knee health (if adjusted too low) or power generation.

A way to tell if your seat is too high would be to pay attention to handling. If the bike feels unstable, especially in turns and perhaps in downhills, consider the seat height and bike frame size as a possible culprit.

If the bike shop fit you correctly to the frame then the seat post length isn't likely to be a problem. That would be my take.

I too have a very long stem. but in my case it is because my bike is too small, bought used and had no idea.
I would be curious if you have a shorter torso and longer legs, could make for a long seat post to still give you the proper reach? I am by no means a expert, just seems that that would make sense to me.
Nice Bike enjoy!
Just got back from the sunny west coast to windy cold northeast temps. No bike riding outside for me for a while! Back to the Pain cave tomorrow!
2014-01-27 6:13 PM

User image

Columbia, Missouri

Had a good first week. I'm definitely getting more comfortable in the pool, which is my goal for these first couple of weeks. Hopefully I can get to a point in the next month to swim >400 meters without stopping.

Also been running more than I have in a long time, and it feels great to get back into daily training.

Hope everyone else is doing well! By the looks of the training logs, I'd say you are. 

Here' some pictures from my run yesterday: courtesy of the Katy Trail in Missouri. 

(photo (2).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
photo (2).JPG (3004KB - 4 downloads)
2014-01-27 7:17 PM
in reply to: DaBen

User image

Columbia, Missouri

Originally posted by DaBen

Here' some pictures from my run yesterday: courtesy of the Katy Trail in Missouri. 

(photo (1).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
photo (1).JPG (4001KB - 5 downloads)
2014-01-27 8:56 PM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

, California

Originally posted by Mountaindan

I too have a very long stem. but in my case it is because my bike is too small, bought used and had no idea. I would be curious if you have a shorter torso and longer legs, could make for a long seat post to still give you the proper reach? I am by no means a expert, just seems that that would make sense to me. Nice Bike enjoy! Just got back from the sunny west coast to windy cold northeast temps. No bike riding outside for me for a while! Back to the Pain cave tomorrow!

Yep, shorter torso long inseam. When I rode today it felt nice and comfortable. I will be interested to see how I feel after putting more miles in.

I like your description of The Pain Cave 

2014-01-27 9:22 PM

User image

, California
Originally posted by DaBen

Had a good first week. I'm definitely getting more comfortable in the pool, which is my goal for these first couple of weeks. Hopefully I can get to a point in the next month to swim >400 meters without stopping.

Also been running more than I have in a long time, and it feels great to get back into daily training.

Hope everyone else is doing well! By the looks of the training logs, I'd say you are. 

Looks like a beautiful place to run, very peaceful

Edited by MamacitaT 2014-01-28 12:31 AM

2014-01-28 1:31 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England

Meaning poor fit?

umm I am no expert in any way, as long as you can ride and feel comfortable on the bike is all that counts.
2014-01-28 7:57 AM

Keep up the weight loss, jynxy!

Tara, nice bike! I have bike envy now, but will wait out to buy a road or tri bike until after my first tri, and maybe all of this year to see how the tri bug gets me, so MTB it is for me until then.

I slowed my training a bit mid last week since I had my Physio doctor's appointment (the one treating my recovery from Guillain-Barre) and wanted to be sure I was well rested as it is mostly a strenght test to see how I am doing. I am happy to say that the doctor has told me that I do not need to go back for physio therapy but to keep exercising, so that has given me extra motivation. No more doctors nor PT now! (Btw I still have some limited upward movement in my right hand, but doctor said it would go away with every day movement, hopefully sooner rather than later!)

I did some strenght training in my legs yesterday and had not done weights with legs (thought running, biking and swimming would take care of my legs) and am feeling a little bit sore today, so did not go out running today as planned. Sometimes it is better to rest, but I will go out running tomorrow.

What are your thoughts on strenght training? Is it needed or not? I have heard conflicting opinions, but I do want to keep some weightlifting in my program regardless (probably scale it down at some point) since although the doctor has released me from physical therapy, I still need to gain some muscle back to be stronger overall.

Just as an FYI, I just started entering my training log last week, but have been doing 2-3x per week since a couple months and will probably scale it up week of Feb-9 since I start a 12 week traning plan for my first short sprint tri in May 4th, which does include strenght training up until week 9. Still working on building volume and being able to run continously.

Edited by Lmoncada 2014-01-28 8:07 PM
2014-01-30 9:39 AM
in reply to: Lmoncada

User image

, California

Originally posted by Lmoncada  I am happy to say that the doctor has told me that I do not need to go back for physio therapy but to keep exercising, so that has given me extra motivation. No more doctors nor PT now! (Btw I still have some limited upward movement in my right hand, but doctor said it would go away with every day movement, hopefully sooner rather than later!)

That is great news! Hoping you will have a full recovery soon. 

Regarding weight lifting - I had asked that question in a regular forum thinking strength would help improve my biking. Boy were the responses varied. Some insist it doesn't help - only more biking, running, swimming can improve performance and some believe it definitely helps. There were some really technical responses to the subject on both sides.   Personally I am at the age where I am losing muscle mass and like to add it in regardless of how it may effect my performance.

2014-01-30 9:46 AM
in reply to: #4917318

ew weights for bike... the local tri coach works at my gym and he has told me that weights will help. I do lat pull downs and upper back work for the oull action on the handlebars. bench presses so I can hold my weight over the bars and leg presses to build up leg strenth. they all work on the core as well. of course this doesnt replace bike riding but I can see his logic
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » We Don't Just Tri - We Do (Season 2) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 15

RELATED POSTS

Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Fechter99
Views: 54936 Posts: 1444

2015-08-04 12:43 AM Go4gidget

Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 37151 Posts: 803

2014-05-18 8:03 AM Hunting Triathlete
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : April 22, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.
date : October 12, 2004
author : robinskj
A busy, fat lady gets hooked on Tri's. You can too!

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.