General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Minimalist versus Traditional Running Shoe Study Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-12-24 4:53 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

Subject: RE: Minimalist versus Traditional Running Shoe Study
Originally posted by gsmacleod

I'm assuming you haven't actually read the study and just the two links? Most of your points are addressed in the actual article.

Overall, while there are issues with the study (and every study will have short comings) to write it off as not having value is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. One of the things that has been constantly thrown around by the barefoot proponents is that there isn't research being done into barefoot/minimalist running so of course there is little data to support or refute its benefit.

So while this study is most certainly not the final word on minimalist running, it provides some data and a valuable caution for those who prescribe minimalist running that great care must be exercised as athletes transition as even the gradual build seen in this study appears to be overly aggressive.

Shane

Didn't read the article, just the links. I'm glad that most of those issues were addressed, however, I still question the overall value of the study. If anything, like you said, it provides some data, and a caution for runners transitioning. However, there has always been a caution for those transitioning.

What I would like to see is a study that addresses the long term use of minimalist footwear. A lot of the claims are that it will reduce injury "in the long run" by teaching runners to run more naturally, the way the foot was designed to.

2013-12-25 7:35 AM
in reply to: ImSore

User image

Veteran
Berlin, Germany
Originally posted by ImSore

What I would like to see is a study that addresses the long term use of minimalist footwear. A lot of the claims are that it will reduce injury "in the long run" by teaching runners to run more naturally, the way the foot was designed to.

/\/\/
THIS!

The result of this "scientific study" anybody can get by talking to the salesperson at the local Nike or Running Store - its a joke!
12 weeks - with 99 subjects??????

.... C´Mon r u kidding?

2013-12-25 12:35 PM
in reply to: rpistor

User image

Originally posted by rpistor

Originally posted by ImSore

/\/\/
THIS!

The result of this "scientific study" anybody can get by talking to the salesperson at the local Nike or Running Store - its a joke!
12 weeks - with 99 subjects??????

.... C´Mon r u kidding?

What, specifically, do you take issue with? Why do you believe that 99 subjects over 12 weeks is a joke? Do you have any sort of science or engineering background? My guess is no.

To the haters who are pooping on the 99 I've got to ask, how many subjects do you believe are required for a valid scientific study and why?

Clueless.
2013-12-25 1:16 PM
in reply to: aliddle9876

Does the injury rate change over time? More at the beginning of the study for minimalist and less at the end as people adapt to the shoes.
2013-12-25 1:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California

Minimalist shoes versus more traditional running shoes; definitely worth a read:

http://www.therunningclinic.ca/blog/2013/12/premiere-etude-randomis...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24357642/

Shane

The study is a little humorous since the Vibrams did so much better than the Nike minimalists. This points to how backwards the logic is in many of these discussions that focus on shoes first, and form second. The central point should be that anyone with good form can run in various shoes without injury.

The humor regarding Vibrams is that you can't heel strike with any degree of comfort in them, so you have to have a decent forefoot or midfoot strike; of course you won't have injuries in them assuming you've transitioned carefully.

It won't be too long until most researchers look at this in the proper order of importance to injury, first form, second shoes that don't inhibit good form, third shoes properly designed for the conditions they're used in. Right now, those three ideas are pretty scrambled. My own little experience after PF in 2011 was to work in that order, to get rid of my heel strike, settle on a closet full of shoes that don't encourage heel strike (etc), and pick the right cushion and grip for the street/trail/race I'll run that day. Now that I've gotten rid of that friggin PF, I run 35 mpw and see why running ultra marathons is totally doable for people with good form. One of the quips in BTR is that the best athletes had identical strides no matter what they were wearing.

Edited by Pacific John 2013-12-25 1:29 PM
2013-12-25 3:46 PM
in reply to: aliddle9876

I wouldn't consider myself as a "hater pooping on the 99," since I've not actually read the study. However, you can't argue that a larger sample size wouldn't provide results that are more statistically significant.

Also as to "how many subjects do you believe are required for a valid scientific study and why?" The answer is completely dependent on what you are trying to discern. For example, if you are looking for something that is dependent on a factor that has a low percentage of occurring, then you would need a larger sample.

And again, not to criticize this study, since I haven't read it, and don't know how they drew their conclusions, but for the sake of discussion. First, there were 3 groups in 3 different shoes, and the injuries were distributed as 4/32 in traditional, 12/32 in what they considered "partial minimalist," and 7/35 in full minimalist.

One thing to note is that there was not a statistically significant difference between "full minimalist," and traditional. Which could provide a possibility that it was the shoe itself, not the style. So a larger study with different shoes in their respective classes would be a good idea, no?

Furthermore, with regards to their inclusion and exclusion criteria. Is it possible that were factors that were not considered that could have an impact on increasing the number of injuries? I think so. For example, and this is just an example, considering form, there is some evidence that suggests that heel strikers are more prone to injury. This was not a factor considered in the criteria for the study. With a smaller sample size, there is more of a possibility for an uneven distribution of heel strikers between the groups, or an uneven distribution of other factors not considered.

That said. People who design these studies do not have unlimited resources, and have to work with what they can get. I am happy they had the opportunity to look into this as there is not a great deal of information out there. Its just that I can see this study being cited in a Runner's World, article in the next few months warning runners of the "dangers of running in minimalist shoes." Hopefully, Runners World has a bit more discretion, but you know what I mean. I don't think the study should be dismissed by any means, but it should not be taken as proof of anything.

2013-12-28 12:59 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Originally posted by dmiller5

In conclusion, if you switch to a minimalist shoe and don't transition properly, you have a greater likelihood of injury.

They excluded the results of runners who were used to a minimalist shoe.

So what is the point you were trying to get across here?

While I didn't really have a point beyond posting an interesting study involving minimalist running shoes, my thoughts are:

1) minimalist shoes are not the panacea they are so often presented as.

2) even with a pretty conservative transition, the minimalist shoes still saw many runners experience issues with the minimalist shoes.

3) as we've seen many times, the switch in shoes often just changes where the stresses are felt on the body.

Shane

#3 is spot on for me, I had knee pain forever running in "traditional" running shoes. Minimalist shoes relieved that, but caused ankle pain due to too fast a switch. They did though help me greatly change my running form.

I now run in various shoes often to keep things changing. I can say I LOVE minimalist shoes for trail running though, but on the road give me a little more cushion for the pushin.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Minimalist versus Traditional Running Shoe Study Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Minimalist shoes --> 'Normal' running shoes and foot pain

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 2805 Posts: 10

2011-11-17 11:53 AM natethomas2000

Good form running technique - similar pain issues as minimalist shoes Pages: 1 2

Started by TriMike
Views: 3899 Posts: 34

2010-11-08 8:37 AM briderdt

Sockless, Minimalist Running Shoe Recommendations

Started by Motivated
Views: 5731 Posts: 24

2010-07-04 7:56 AM TracyV

Starting over with running/minimalist shoes

Started by TritoTeach
Views: 2088 Posts: 17

2009-12-22 11:01 AM Gritty

Which minimalist/forefoot running shoes?

Started by Cubby
Views: 15508 Posts: 21

2009-10-08 4:37 PM saling4
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 5, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
So, since my beloved go-to shoe brand has changed its shoe, after reading the bruhaha about the minimalist shoe, I decided to give it a try. Now I have a foot issue with my arch area.

date : July 23, 2012
comments : 3
Does wearing minimalist shoes put more stress on the ankles, shins and knee joints with the loss of padding from conventional running shoes?
date : May 2, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you

date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.
date : November 2, 2011
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries

date : October 4, 2011
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running
date : October 14, 2010
author : FitWerx
A review of the Shimano 105 vesus SRAM Rival Time Trial component group differences.

date : July 17, 2005
Is there any current literature or recommendations on this subject, and when do you know it's time to stop activities like running before the damage is done or worsened?