General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim intervals vs. run or bike intervals Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-04 9:43 AM

Subject: swim intervals vs. run or bike intervals
I have a question for the more experienced folks around here concerning swim intervals.

I know that swimming is largely about technique and efficiency, and I know I have a ways to go with my technique since I'm a 1:45/100 swimmer (on good days). I find that when i'm trying to do swim intervals that my stroke changes. I feel a lot less efficient in the water, and other than getting winded much faster, I'm not sure my intervals are doing all that much for me. (fwiw, in comparison, I think my run and trainer intervals are helping, and significantly.)

When I'm doing swim intervals, I assume I should continue to focus on good form (which admittedly is a work in progress for me), but what should be changing when doing intervals?

Should I just be increasing my stroke rate? Is that the main difference between intervals and a long 2000m swim?

Just wondering.

2014-03-04 1:09 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: swim intervals vs. run or bike intervals
Originally posted by LarchmontTri

I have a question for the more experienced folks around here concerning swim intervals.

I know that swimming is largely about technique and efficiency, and I know I have a ways to go with my technique since I'm a 1:45/100 swimmer (on good days). I find that when i'm trying to do swim intervals that my stroke changes. I feel a lot less efficient in the water, and other than getting winded much faster, I'm not sure my intervals are doing all that much for me. (fwiw, in comparison, I think my run and trainer intervals are helping, and significantly.)

When I'm doing swim intervals, I assume I should continue to focus on good form (which admittedly is a work in progress for me), but what should be changing when doing intervals?

Should I just be increasing my stroke rate? Is that the main difference between intervals and a long 2000m swim?

Just wondering.

two ways to get faster..

increase stroke rate without losing distance per stroke
increase distance per stroke without lowering rate

in reality people do a combination of those, but the better the swimmer, the less their stroke will shorten as they increase stroke rate.

It's about developing the specific neuromuscular memory & movements to make either of the above happen. If you only increase rate and it's accompanied by feeling less efficient, then you are going too hard. You should be able to fine tune your swim speed in the same way you can shift one gear on a bike or increase the treadmill by .25 mph.

2014-03-04 6:34 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

In addition to what Suzanne said, I also emphasize with my athletes to focus equally on effort and form when things start to get tough in the pool, and pay attention to what happens to both your pace and stroke count as you fatigue.  This can provide some clues as to whether it's your form breaking down, or if you're still holding your form together, but unable to maintain your stroke rate.

Generally speaking:

Everyone gets slower when they fatigue.  If your stroke count per length increases, it implies your form is breaking down.  If your stroke count per length stays the same, that means your rate has slowed, which implies it's more of a conditioning issue.

If form breaks down, it's probably time to stop the set, so pause for some more rest before proceeding to avoid instilling bad habits.  If form is holding up, and your stroke rate is slowing, you can squeeze out a couple more intervals to finish the set.

2014-03-05 9:48 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

Thanks, this is good info!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim intervals vs. run or bike intervals Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim intervals vs continuous - interpretation needed

Started by TTom
Views: 1775 Posts: 16

2013-03-19 9:38 PM ziggie204

Zone 2 vs interval biking

Started by MRDAVIDALEXANDER
Views: 737 Posts: 5

2012-03-03 10:42 AM indianacyclist

Incorporating Intervals into Bike & Run Training

Started by wgraves7582
Views: 603 Posts: 3

2012-02-15 8:19 PM colinphillips

Track Intervals and Pace Intervals?

Started by crmorton
Views: 2054 Posts: 7

2011-02-02 1:36 PM crmorton

Run 800 intervals after swim???

Started by Oldteen
Views: 1607 Posts: 20

2011-02-02 11:51 AM newbz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 7, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Intervals help a runner manage the intensity and learn to push at a pace that’s out of their comfort zone. Learn these five intervals with example workouts.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : June 27, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Questions and answers on wetsuit swimming, cadence, interval time, paddle benefit, hand entry, runners kick drills, bilateral breathing and race breathing.

date : May 23, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 5
When running or biking, is it best to work towards increasing distance, stamina, working with heart rates, intervals, speed, drills, etc.?
date : November 6, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
Interval training is essential to improving your swim time. Here are a few examples of setting up your swim interval training.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
Well its the middle of winter and there is 5 inches of snow on the ground and I am too cheap to buy a gym membership and take spinning classes, so what do I do?
date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
“Less is more,” is a common buzz phrase in endurance sports today. It refers to the trend of training less but focusing on intensity and quality rather than on quantity.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
I decided to list a few interesting workouts to increase speed.