General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri number two is done. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-11 7:29 PM

User image

Expert
New Port Richey
Subject: Tri number two is done.
Well I just got home from completing tri number 2. It was the mini-mussel in Geneva New York. I will do a rr when I get the results in but just wanted to tell you it was an excellent event. The pre-race dinner w Karen Smyers was great. The organization of the race was great. The only part of the race that was not great was the swim. It was very shallow most of the time and prevented us from swimming too much. The bike course had a couple of hills but not too bad and the runĀ  was totally flat. I did cut off about 16 minutes from my first race but still have plenty of room for improvement. Brian Shea of PBN who logs on this site finished third in the Musselman race (1/2IM).

2004-07-11 8:00 PM
in reply to: #36697

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Tri number two is done.
Hey Kevin, Great job taking off 16 minutes! I was also in the mini-mussel, and agree with you-it was really well organized (such a difference from Penn Yan, also in its first year). The swim really was not fun-of the 500yards I think I swam 200, and I swam earlier than most (trying to avoid cutting my feet on the zebra mussels). It's not good when your fingers touch the bottom! My legs were dead from water running before I started the bike. But at least the lake was pretty calm. The bike was nice (besides losing my chain, which cost me a couple of minutes as I tried to calm myself down long enough to remember that to put the chain back on the BIG chainring, I'd really have to shift the derailleur over-DUH), and the run was really pancake flat (but the last mile felt like it went FOREVER). Lots of tents set up with stuff to look at/buy, and massage AND chiropractic available. And of course, finger lakes wines . And for any parents out there, the park it is in has a fabulous playground with a water play area (while this is an area RDs often neglect, having to entertain bored children while waiting for a spouse to finish a tri is a major cause of tri-spouse fatigue).

I was really impressed watching the long course athletes-though it made my accomplishment feel a little...minimal!

This may be it for me this summer, I have to decide whether to do Cayuga-I've thought about the fingerlakes tri at Canadaigua in Sept, but I'll just be finishing up a nasty rotation and realistically I have no chance of training for the entire month before. Cayuga is so close, i think doing another one without more training time might not be productive. It is a little frustrating because I feel like I had a good race, and that if I trained more I could make some improvements, but there are no more races. I guess i need to adjust my attitude and think of it as training for the mini-mussel next year.

I'll also post a RR once the results are posted.

Congrats again!
2004-07-11 9:16 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

Way to go Kevin, you triathlete, you!

Jen

2004-07-12 2:41 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-07-12 8:59 AM

Expert
New Port Richey

Yes those zebra mussels are sharp little buggers. I have cuts all along the bottom of my feet. If I Knew that we were going to be walking most of the swim I would have brought my water shoes. I did not realize that you were going to be there. Congratulations on finishing. If my marathon training and wife allows it I might do the Wilson Wet and Wild and Fall Frollic in Barker. Depends on my finances.

2004-07-12 11:56 AM

Champion
Gold member
awesome job kevin...looking froward to the RR!

2004-07-13 7:14 PM

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Kevin!!!!

Way to go!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri number two is done. Rss Feed