General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim vid- Would like some imput Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-06 4:47 PM

User image

New user
Kingston, Ontario
Subject: Swim vid- Would like some imput
ok so i slapped my go pro in the pool and could use some feedback. Theres not a ton of angles and the video is short so i know it may be hard to really get into it however anything would be apreciated. I have been swimming for a few months now and im trying to get better. i have joined a masters club however havnt been there much because my wife is ready to go in labour. No prior experience in the pool . i dont plan on getting lessons or a coach.. just youtube videos and my masters swim. Any imput would be greatly apreciated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHXM6oVL4Y&feature=youtu.be

2014-04-06 6:18 PM
in reply to: katan2212

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: Swim vid- Would like some imput
for no prior swim experience you have great flip turns.

Based on the limited views I would suggest working on leaving the lead arm extended while breathing, currently it falls to the side & below you to get support... which is energy wasted on not moving fowards.

See all the bubbles? Bubbles indicate energy imparted into the water in a turbulent fashion...energy that comes from your body, and not moving you forward.

Make fewer bubbles, be more patient with your leading arm during your breath.
2014-04-06 6:29 PM
in reply to: katan2212

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI
I'm no coach by any means so take this for what its worth. Overall it looked good. The thing that stuck out to me was your elbows/forearms. It looks to me like your pushing out to the sides during your pull. This looks like its causing you to do a bit of a snakey (if that's a word) wobble as you go. I think pushing to the side will also cause shoulder problems down the road. I would try and raise the elbows a bit higher and push the water towards your feet instead of the side. Your forearms should be straighter and closer to your body during the pull.

And to really nit pick, during your flips if you can keep your arms from flailing out that would help. As I'm flipping I make sure my arms are already level with my head and extended so that when I'm kicking off, my upper body is already straight.

You look pretty good for a noob swimmer. Keep at it and you'll improve. Its not how fast you swim, its how well you swim. Good luck.
2014-04-06 8:34 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by jgs733

I'm no coach by any means so take this for what its worth. Overall it looked good. The thing that stuck out to me was your elbows/forearms. It looks to me like your pushing out to the sides during your pull.

Yup that's what I noticed. Arms should be like arrows pointing down to the pool bottom, coming into the water at 45 degrees. You're missing out on some power there. Have a look at this video (and others) check their arms out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYCQ8g_oawo

And it's hard to tell, but it also looks like your head is coming too far out of the water when you breathe. Maybe get someone to film you & post it, so we can see what you look like from above. But definitely do something about those arms.

Edited by zedzded 2014-04-06 8:38 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim vid- Would like some imput Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

swim vid critique

Started by kajinsky
Views: 1145 Posts: 12

2011-06-04 12:54 PM TriAya

swim vid critique

Started by kajinsky
Views: 260 Posts: 1

2011-05-31 6:18 PM kajinsky

Noob Need Help with Swimming - Vid Inside

Started by hattorihanzo
Views: 1780 Posts: 20

2011-05-09 9:35 AM crusevegas

Swim Vid...let me have it

Started by CRunner10
Views: 1609 Posts: 11

2011-02-08 12:58 AM AdventureBear

Critique My Swim Vid

Started by racedad
Views: 851 Posts: 11

2010-05-01 2:05 PM racedad
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
What triathletes can learn from a new world record in the 1500 meters

date : July 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : April 2, 2006
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.
date : May 3, 2005
comments : 1
Swimming and golf can both present you with a meditative-like form of exercise that I have found to be both fulfilling and fun!

date : October 10, 2004
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...