General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer Workouts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-24 10:54 PM

User image

Subject: Trainer Workouts
Hello.

Well after two sprint triathlons on an old hybrid bike, I finally bit the bullet and purchased a Tri bike as well as a trainer. Excited to get going this season!! However, the weather has been less than ideal, so I'm likely going to be on the trainer before I'm on the road this weekend.

Having never ridden on a trainer (only done spin classes) I'm wondering what kind of workouts are best for getting started on the trainer? Are there good DVDs or YouTube workouts? I'm thinking for me, following some kind of workout would be helpful, but open to any suggestions on how to get the most out of indoor sessions.

Thanks!!

2014-04-24 10:58 PM
in reply to: goirish1

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Trainer Workouts
These are not free, but two staples for me as I do a lot of training indoors:

http://www.thesufferfest.com/
http://endurancefilms.com/store/RIDES-Indoor-Cycling/

Also, sometimes I make a game out of the show or movie I'm watching.

e.g. if I'm watching an action movie - explosions = 2 min all out sprint. Blood on someone's face = 1 min high cadence. Etc.

It's really hard to put in the intensity indoors unless you have something pushing you (at least for me) so the videos or concentrating on something specific helps.
2014-04-25 6:02 AM

User image

2014-04-25 6:10 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
+ 1 to the above but also take a look at Trainer Road (www.trainerroad.com). It will give you pretty much an endless amount of workouts and excellent feedback on your riding for $10/month, or even less if you do the yearly plan they offer. The Sufferfest videos work with TR unbelievably well. All you'll need is a speed/cadence sensor, ANT+ stick for your computer and the typical trainer accessories like a towel, fan and bucket.
2014-04-25 7:42 AM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

x2 for TrainerRoad.

2014-04-25 7:56 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Originally posted by jonD81

+ 1 to the above but also take a look at Trainer Road (www.trainerroad.com). It will give you pretty much an endless amount of workouts and excellent feedback on your riding for $10/month, or even less if you do the yearly plan they offer. The Sufferfest videos work with TR unbelievably well. All you'll need is a speed/cadence sensor, ANT+ stick for your computer and the typical trainer accessories like a towel, fan and bucket.

I set this type of system up for the winter indoor season this year. I had an older spare computer tower and 36 " lcd flat panel laying around as surplus so I set it up as a dedicated unit in the workout room and loved it , but a laptop works great as well, I use the sufferfest and ride fit videos both work excellent with trainer road and made my over winter workouts much better and a lot more enjoyable then in previous years.

2014-04-25 8:54 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM

What's the bucket for?

Transitions?
2014-04-25 9:04 AM
in reply to: RockTractor

User image

Extreme Veteran
I like to watch playoff hockey the hawks blues series has got my watts up to a new level
2014-04-25 9:28 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Here's the BT cycling plan: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2332

It's 16 weeks (or 14 if you skip the 1st two prep weeks) of pure torture!  But it works.

It you have a fluid trainer such as the Kurt Kinetic Road or CycleOps Fluid2 I have a spreadsheet you can use to get started that will allow you to use Virtual Power as a training method.  All you need is a speedo that picks up speed on the rear wheel.  I used this for 3 years until I went to a PC display method.

Using VP is ideal as you know what you have to do based on test results. For me HR lag was way too inaccurate and RPE on the trainer is just not a good method to use for intervals. TrainerRoad and Golden Cheetah [freeware] also have the abiltity to use VP and allow you to visually see what you need to do on a display.  Both require an ANT+ pickup to use.  TrainerRoad probably has a lot more trainers listed in their list for using VP.  Here's an example for Golden Cheetah, the red line is my VP following the WO:

2014-04-25 1:15 PM
in reply to: RRH_88

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Originally posted by RRH_88
I set this type of system up for the winter indoor season this year. I had an older spare computer tower and 36 " lcd flat panel laying around as surplus so I set it up as a dedicated unit in the workout room and loved it , but a laptop works great as well, I use the sufferfest and ride fit videos both work excellent with trainer road and made my over winter workouts much better and a lot more enjoyable then in previous years.
Wish I had TVs laying around like that!
2014-04-25 2:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Yea we are a bit of electronics horders at my house, for 3 adults we have 5 tower computers all less then 2 years old 3 laptops and a tablet, 6 HD TV's 36" up to 60", I have 2 32" LCD computer monitor's sitting on my workbench downstairs in absolutely perfect condition that I use just when doing repairs
and troubleshooting others systems. I used to have a 3 X32" 180 degree tripple monitor setup when I raced Nascar Online.

Edited by RRH_88 2014-04-25 2:53 PM

2014-04-25 2:51 PM

User image

Ledyard, CT
Another vote for Sufferfest here...

also, check out these videos from YouTube:

45 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSFYRiqodvU&list=TLkIk_jlpkNkySU9W3Z...

90 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M45BSE6Qz3E&list=TLheNqXiLyxXpud8Kok...

I haven't done the 90 minute one yet, but the 45 minute isn't too bad.
2014-04-25 2:53 PM
in reply to: RRH_88

User image

Thanks for all the great ideas! I like the look of Road Trainer as well as a couple of the DVD series. For any of these workouts, what is best to have on my bike for speed/cadence tracking? I currently do not have a bike computer on my bike as I use my Garmin 910. It looks like there is a speed/cadence sensor available from Garmin that would be compatible with my 910. Would that work best?
2014-04-25 3:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

Originally posted by goirish1 Thanks for all the great ideas! I like the look of Road Trainer as well as a couple of the DVD series. For any of these workouts, what is best to have on my bike for speed/cadence tracking? I currently do not have a bike computer on my bike as I use my Garmin 910. It looks like there is a speed/cadence sensor available from Garmin that would be compatible with my 910. Would that work best?

Speed/Cadence sensor from Garmin will pair with both your watch and the ANT+ stick that goes into your computer. 

I'll give another vote for sufferfest videos and trainerroad. While I haven't been as good about it as I needed to be, I still made some nice gains through the winter on the trainer. Last year i DVR'd the Tour de France and the NBC Kona highlight special. I just wish there was an easy way to record the live video feed from Kona, as that provides endless entertainment and the finish line footage after the pros are done is great for inspiration.

2014-04-25 7:53 PM
in reply to: #4986714

User image

Sufferfest is awesome as others have stated before. I've done the 90 minute YouTube video above as we'll and it's pretty good, 1-2 minute intervals with 1-2 recoveries and some longer stretches as well
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer Workouts Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Suggestions for bike trainer workouts

Started by ovspmike
Views: 812 Posts: 3

2007-01-10 7:58 AM gsmacleod

Suggestions for bike trainer workouts

Started by kenail
Views: 624 Posts: 2

2006-01-12 3:45 PM olddskool

Spining and Trainer workouts

Started by Kpoulsen
Views: 1193 Posts: 14

2005-11-27 11:32 AM vortmax

bike trainer workouts

Started by kleinrider
Views: 791 Posts: 4

2005-11-17 3:49 PM scuba-punk

Favorite Trainer workouts?

Started by KathyG
Views: 732 Posts: 8

2005-10-13 12:44 PM KathyG
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
comments : 0
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.

date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.
date : December 3, 2008
author : dexter
comments : 15
What are rollers? How can rollers help your bike training? Learn how to use your first set of rollers without doing too much bodily harm to yourself.

date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!
date : February 21, 2008
author : mikericci
Discussions on 1/2 Ironman race placement 3 weeks from a first IM, treadmill to outside run transition, 4 days on/5 off workday training schedule, trainer workouts and 30 days of swimming to get fast.

date : February 18, 2008
author : mrakes1
Getting ready for a long workout? Here are some nutritional guidelines on how best to fuel your body in preparation for that long workout.
date : October 24, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
Discussions on keeping heart-rate down on hills, the fat burning zone, lactate threshold (LT) testing, max trainer hours, high HR on the run/walk, the 10% rule and different running workouts.

date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
As the Holiday season approaches and temperatures steadily drop, triathletes become faced with a difficult decision, to ride or not to ride.