General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half IM to Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-30 2:34 PM

User image

Sarnia
Subject: Half IM to Full
Hey Everyone, Just looking for some feed back from those who can remember taking the step from a Half IM to Full. I have limited exposure having only completed 1 HIM, but am doing my 2nd and maybe 3rd this year. Looking forward to next year for a possible full, but have never run 26.2 stand alone let alone off the bike. I'm not too worried about the ride as I've put in 4-5 hours in the saddle before and the swim, well....I'll make it haha. Also, maybe throw out some ideas for a good first IM (I'm from Ontario Canada and as much as I'd love to, won't be going overseas or tropical, looking for something in either Canada or US)

Thanks

2014-04-30 5:37 PM
in reply to: bmeere

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: Half IM to Full

I have a lot of thoughts and will share later.

2014-04-30 5:50 PM

User image

From my experience (10 halfs, 2 fulls), HIM and IM are completely different beasts and are not even in the same ballpark from a preparation standpoint to endurance, execution, nutrition, and pacing.  You can do a bit of faking in a half, and still put together a semi decent day.  In an IM, when things go south, they tend to go far south and the day can get very long, and all for one simple nutrition/execution/pacing error.

I'd venture to say most people going into their first IM have not run a 26.2 in any situation, including me.  Not that I'd call either of my IM runs "running" by any stretch. 

I think having 2 or 3 halfs under your belt will start to give you an idea.   And sounds like you have sufficient cycling base.  Your swimming comment makes me a little concerned, it sets the tone for the rest of the day.  But you have a year to train it, assuming you do.  I wouldn't take that part lightly.  You should start the bike feeling as if the swim was a nice warmup, rather than having burned a book of matches in the water (which you will not get back).

I did Whistler 2013 and can't recommend it highly enough, simply a fantastic race and venue all around.  If you want a WTC event, that is.  I did Arizona as well, no comparison. 

2014-05-01 1:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Ironman finishers have done their first race with a lot more and a lot less experience than you describe.  Having two or even three HIMs under your belt would be better than average.  I had two and the second was a planned race prior to my actual Ironman.  I also wouldn't worry about running an open marathon prior to your first IM (I didn't) as they are completely different animals.  I felt like the IM marathon was more like "26x1mile" intervals.

I have only done Arizona and thought it was a great "first timer" race:  relatively easy course with great crowds.  You need to factor in location, potential weather scenarios, course difficulty, your strengths/weaknesses and room for improvement, and timing when choosing your race.  Arizona checked off all of my boxes/concerns.  Find a great training plan or coach, follow it diligently, improve your swimming with lessons if needed, and show up at the starting line as healthy as possible. 

2014-05-01 1:37 PM
in reply to: #4989732

User image

Sarnia
Thanks for the input so far. To be clear I say I'll finish the swim not because I'm a poor swimmer necessarily but just because I actually don't mind the swim once I get out there and get going. I'm not fast mind you but I don't panic in open water or with people around so it's just a matter of training for the distance for me. (Of course I would ALWAYS love to get a little faster) my only want for the swim is that it is not too choppy. I have had the fortune of having calm waters for all of my events and would like to keep that streak going. Haha
2014-05-01 5:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Like the other poster stated -- you'll have a decent base of endurance and experience if you choose to tackle the IM distance.

IM and HIM plans aren't all that different.  There's some obvious exceptions with some longer rides and runs but for the most part the day-to-day workouts are pretty much the same.   The real important concept to wrap your head around is that it's the culmination of all your training and the overall accumulated training stress that matters much more than any one or two workouts during a given training week.

I swim 4x per week, bike 4x per week and run 5x per week.  The only difference between my HIM and IM plans is that one of my swim, one of my bike, and one of my run workouts will be a little bit longer for my IM training than for my HIM training.  So 10 of my 13 workouts would basically be identical.

The execution of the two race distances is very different, especially regarding pacing and nutrition.  The bike portion of the IM is the glue that holds your day together.  Screw up your bike execution and you're in for a very long and miserable day.  That's certainly an issue at the HIM distance as well but there's more margin for error at the HIM distance.  Chris was spot on when he said you can't fake your way through an IM if you really want to perform well.

You have two of the greatest IM's in the world in Canada with IM Canada (Whistler) and IM Mont-Tremblant.  I did Whistler last year and loved it.  Tough bike and run course but an awesome race.  I'm going back again this year.  Mont-Tremblant gets rave reviews and I'm finally doing it this year.

2014-05-02 9:56 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I did my first HIM in October and my first IM will be Mont Tremblant in August. I am no expert but can offer you some guidance based on my own experiences

Training for me is much different for IM then HIM. Last summer, I was planning a wedding and went out of town for 4 weddings (friends) and went on a 2 week honeymoon all right before my HIM. I did not consistently work out as I wanted too due to many things getting in the way. Like others have said, you can fake a HIM and I faked/struggled my way through it. I felt fine at the end and I made it under the cutoffs but I was upset with myself that I left so much out on the course and did not prepare for the race like I shoudl have.

Going into IM training. I knew that after 5 years of racing, this distance needs to be respected. I spoke with family and told them about my goals and everyone is supportive to ensure that I dont miss key workouts and we plan social events around my workouts. Obviously life cannot be avoided and training time will be missed but thats just the nature of being an AGer. To me, the biggest difference has been the consistency. I am using Don FInks 30 week plan and I love how simple it is to read and do. I like that most of the workouts duing the week are short and the weekend ones are long. Sor far, not much of training has bothered my wife and I still feel like I have free time. My biggest hurdle is maintaining consistency and not skipping workouts and I think thats the most important part of IM training (IMO).

I have never run a stand alone marathon so my first will be at IMMT. I have never biked 112 miles before but plan on doing a few 100+ mile rides to prep. I have never swam 2.4 miles straight in OW before but I plan on doing it once. Point is, many people have never done the full distances prior to the race and for most it is not necessary other then the mental confidence it provides. I think that if you pick a training plan, train consistantly and remain injury free, you will be fine.

As for races- My vote is for Ironman Mont Tremblant! I went up there to volunteer last year and the whole town turns into an IM town. Everyone is so into the race, supportive and the atmosphere is electric. Housing and food are very reasonable and there is alot for the family to do. My family is excited for a trip back to IMMT because it was such a beautiful place. I cannot speak to the other Canada venues because I have not been there before but you cannot go wrong with IMMT
2014-05-02 2:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

one additional thing, don't freak out so much that you have to get every element right.  Do your best in training to prepare for what you think you will need nutrition-wise, get your pacing down as best you can.  As GMAN said, IM training is not about one specific workout, but the aggregate effect of 3-4 months of workouts.   So one missed run isn't going to affect your day at all.

do NOT forget to have fun, and be grateful for the ability to be out there doing that, not everyone can.  And don't sweat over things you can't control.  I can almost guarantee that if something goes wrong on race day (and something probably will ), it's probably going to be something you never anticipated.  So the key is rolling with the punches, ad libbing on the fly and adjusting your plan, and always moving forward using whatever reason you have to finish the stupid thing (and you will need a reason somewhere out there to go on, even though it hurts). 

Darn, now I want to do one....

Edited by ChrisM 2014-05-02 2:15 PM
2014-05-03 11:27 AM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by dmbfan4life20 I did my first HIM in October and my first IM will be Mont Tremblant in August. I am no expert but can offer you some guidance based on my own experiences Training for me is much different for IM then HIM. Last summer, I was planning a wedding and went out of town for 4 weddings (friends) and went on a 2 week honeymoon all right before my HIM. I did not consistently work out as I wanted too due to many things getting in the way.

In all fairness, your training for IM and HIM are much different due to your commitment to the training and not so much the difference in a well designed HIM vs IM training plan.

I think the OP was curious as to whether or not there were vast differences in HIM vs IM training plans and the answer is not really.  There are certainly differences but nothing I would call drastic.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half IM to Full Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Time between "tune up" 1/2 IM and full IM

Started by elrasc06
Views: 2096 Posts: 14

2012-03-22 11:11 AM bets12

Half IM to Half IM training question...

Started by schott2
Views: 1011 Posts: 1

2010-05-25 3:26 PM schott2

Which is easier: Racing a half IM or finishing a full IM Pages: 1 2

Started by tripastor
Views: 4065 Posts: 39

2008-06-20 2:15 PM MikeJ

Saddle choice for Half IM to IM distances?

Started by charles81
Views: 2141 Posts: 7

2004-11-21 8:30 PM piggpen35

Half IM prep b4 IM?

Started by charles81
Views: 1983 Posts: 11

2004-11-01 6:57 PM Steve-
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.
date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who has been following the progression of the Half Iron Distance program and is 12 weeks out from their first Iron distance race.

date : September 3, 2005
author : trad_it
Now, for the last 20 years I’ve always though that jogging seemed about as interesting as watching paint dry, and you know what? That’s how it turned out to be.
date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.

date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.