BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-07-31 5:38 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open
Does anyone else procrastinate? I'm finding that I've picked up a bad habit of taking forever to get out the door prior to workouts. The average time the last two weeks is about 90 minutes and growing. This is new for me...

Part of the reason why I'm not running out the door is that my workouts have become drudgery! Todays workout was a case in point. My coach wanted me to pretend that I needed to go all out to make the cutoff for the bike. So, I did my first 30 at sub 13 miles per hour pace. Then I sped up for the next hour and then went all out for the last 30. To mimic the elevation at Mont Tremblant, I found myself doing hill repeats with my hr pushing past 155 on each hill. It was quite possibly the toughest workout yet. It wasn't really fun. I didn't enjoy it. But I just sucked it up and got it done. I will be so glad when they put that frickin medal around my neck. I swear I'm not gonna take it off for a week.

It will all be worth it. One more tough workout and then the taper. I'm ready!

2014-07-31 5:40 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Hi Robby! Welcome to BDAAS!!

As promised, my extra pale ale I enjoyed last night. I thought you would appreciate the mug I drank it out of...yup there are still a couple around up here! (for those who know A&W)

A frosty mug for a well deserved beer. Just don't leave the room or else you might find your youngest sucking from it
2014-07-31 5:42 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Originally posted by adempsey10

My wife and I ordered support crew t-shirts for my Ironman. There's an Iron Dad, Iron Wife, Ironman, Iron Sister (she's three), Iron Mom and Iron Mayden (for my 'step-mom' who isn't really a step mom but we didn't know what else to call her so she picked Iron Mayden (Maiden was copyrighted).

Alright - that's awesome.Where did you order them from?

Iron Mayden.... Now that's funny. I'd pay to see my MIL in on of those!
2014-07-31 5:47 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
Originally posted by thor67

Originally posted by Burd Well even being on vacation for a week I squeezed in 30/28 after tonight's OWS. Thank goodness no Coors Light for me this month. As for the climbing challenge next month I call no fair! The highest point we have here in SW FL is the bridge which sits at a whopping 100+/- ft. Unless I go over and back for hours I think I have no chance! HAHA
You can pick the cycling challenge in January...while we are all in snow...

Gotta Say Alex - I've gotta agree with Thor on this one If you want to do some hill repeats - you can always come up here and join me for a few. I'm averaging about 3K per ride and I think Alan is doing even more!. Just think of how you would spoke your HIM with that hillwork!
2014-07-31 10:33 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

, Vermont
Okay, question for everyone. I'm looking into getting a cycling computer - eyeballing the Garmin 500 or 510. I don't have a HRM yet so I'm looking to bundle as well maybe (cadence also). I know many of you have experience - things you like/dislike about what you've used or friends have used and I'd like to pick your brains a little on the toys available out there. I can read all day long but it's nice to learn from people's practical experience.
Go!
2014-07-31 10:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Okay, question for everyone. I'm looking into getting a cycling computer - eyeballing the Garmin 500 or 510. I don't have a HRM yet so I'm looking to bundle as well maybe (cadence also). I know many of you have experience - things you like/dislike about what you've used or friends have used and I'd like to pick your brains a little on the toys available out there. I can read all day long but it's nice to learn from people's practical experience.
Go!

I bought an Edge 800. The maps and navigation are pretty cool when they work right. I think it's worth the extra money. The interface is a bit clunky, but overall it's a good setup.

I also think the new accelerometer-based cadence and wheel sensors are a lot better design than the magnet-based ones like the GSC-10. Pricier too, but easier to move between bikes and without the issues related to the magnets moving or clicking against the sensor arm.

2014-07-31 10:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by Qua17

Does anyone else procrastinate? I'm finding that I've picked up a bad habit of taking forever to get out the door prior to workouts. The average time the last two weeks is about 90 minutes and growing. This is new for me...

Part of the reason why I'm not running out the door is that my workouts have become drudgery! Todays workout was a case in point. My coach wanted me to pretend that I needed to go all out to make the cutoff for the bike. So, I did my first 30 at sub 13 miles per hour pace. Then I sped up for the next hour and then went all out for the last 30. To mimic the elevation at Mont Tremblant, I found myself doing hill repeats with my hr pushing past 155 on each hill. It was quite possibly the toughest workout yet. It wasn't really fun. I didn't enjoy it. But I just sucked it up and got it done. I will be so glad when they put that frickin medal around my neck. I swear I'm not gonna take it off for a week.

I learned a great tip for hill-climbing. Two, actually.

(1): Pedal angry. Grip your bars and pull up, and lock your upper body, down through your core, to anchor the glutes to the quads. It turns the upper body motion (which is completely wasted) into power. Works even better with aerobars, since you can push down with your shoulders to the pads while pulling up on the front of the bars.

(2): Shift *before* you feel the burn. Click, Click, Click. Shift early, shift often.
2014-07-31 11:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Just make sure you are not rocking your body side to side. When climbing keep your body straight on the road. the bike should be the thing moving side to side. 

I can't say I've ever climbed on the aerobars, that seems like it would be wasteful because you don't get much benefit from being on the aero bars under 30 kph. Climbing out of the saddle grip the hoods for dear life. In the saddle sit as upright as possible and grip on either side of the stem. If you've got aerobars you can grab the pads if possible. Sitting up in this position activates your glutes and hams the best possible way. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEqQW1-casM

Watch this video. When Lance attacks he's on the hoods and the bike is swaying violently underneath him but his body is nearly motionless (side to side). Then at around 6 minutes you can see him go to the bar tops and climbs like that with great strength. 

As far as shifting goes, I agree with Charles on one point, shift early. When you're new to climbing you'll need to shift often. Once you've had experience you should be able to choose a gear at the start of the climb that is suitable for the entire climb. Shifting often puts undue stress on your derailleur and saps your momentum because you need to ease up on your pedal stroke with each shift. Unless of course the hill has a significant grade change, like an upward kick near the top. Pick a gear that you can climb at around 70-90 RPM don't worry about speed. And remember its always more economical to push harder up a hill than it is to push harder on the downhill. 

Edited by adempsey10 2014-07-31 11:50 PM
2014-07-31 11:47 PM

User image

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Okay, question for everyone. I'm looking into getting a cycling computer - eyeballing the Garmin 500 or 510. I don't have a HRM yet so I'm looking to bundle as well maybe (cadence also). I know many of you have experience - things you like/dislike about what you've used or friends have used and I'd like to pick your brains a little on the toys available out there. I can read all day long but it's nice to learn from people's practical experience. Go!

Garmin bike computers are great for biking. 

If you want all around use I suggest the garmin 310xt or 910. I use the 310xt with quick release feature. When swimming i tuck the garmin up under my swim cap then I click it onto my bike for that leg and then i click it onto my wrist during the run. The 910 gives you the added bonus of being able to count stroke cadence in the water when on your wrist, among other swim related functions. 

The 310xt comes in bundle package with HRM included for around $250 CAD. Far cheaper than the cycling specific computers. 

Garmin is by the far the best for compatibility. Just about every ANT+ accessory you can find will work with a garmin. That being said Garmin Express, their proprietary software for getting the activities from Garmin to Garmin Connect ( or Strava or whatever you use) is bloody awful. There really isn't much else out there though that can do what a Garmin does.. 

2014-07-31 11:54 PM

User image

Also David, try to alternate your climbing intervals. Do a set at 70RPM where you can sit comfortable and climb slowly up the hill. Then do a set where you're climbing at 90RPM with your HR nearly maxed out. Each will give you a different benefit. One will train your legs for strength and endurance and the other will train your lungs and heart.

2014-08-01 7:04 AM
in reply to: #4996400

User image

, Vermont
I like the ability to take it swimming and use it for all three sports instead of being limited to one. Hmmmm.... especially when ows and I have no idea how far I've gone.

2014-08-01 7:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

I have been kicking around the idea of a Tom Tom multisport that just came out. similar to Garmin 901 except heart rate built in watch. Also takes cadence and speed for bike from my wahoo Bluetooth...Plus price is attractive...

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Okay, question for everyone. I'm looking into getting a cycling computer - eyeballing the Garmin 500 or 510. I don't have a HRM yet so I'm looking to bundle as well maybe (cadence also). I know many of you have experience - things you like/dislike about what you've used or friends have used and I'd like to pick your brains a little on the toys available out there. I can read all day long but it's nice to learn from people's practical experience. Go!

2014-08-01 8:00 AM
in reply to: #5033620

User image

Veteran
Illinois
To add to Adam's post - pushing hard on the descents is a waste, but *don't* stop pedaling. Spin out that gear, as it helps clear the lactate buildup from the legs.

It is easy to see with a powermeter - in a significant climb, I will push between 240 and 300 watts, whereas my average steady state is around 160 to 180. My goal average watts for IM is 150 to 160, for comparison. On the descents, so long as I keep pedaling, I can still put out 100 watts without hurting my recovery from the climb - so 100 watts of free speed. Free is good
2014-08-01 8:14 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

I have a Garmin 310XT and a 500.  I originally got the 310xt as a low cost all purpose watch.  As others have mentioned with the quick release kit you can do just about everything with the 310XT.  It works really well for every thing except swimming.  For swimming it will give you some really wacky graphs unless you put it under your cap like Alan mentioned.  Here is the last race I did while wearing it on my wrist.  I promise that I swam in a straight line down the river an did not at any point reach 55mph.  It also will not do heart rate during the swim.  I think only the Polar watches will.  My heart rate monitor crapped out right before the race on the swim below so there is not HR info. But had I been wearing one it would basically give you your HR when you entered the water and then when you got out.

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/546401415

The one thing that really bugged me about the 310XT was the quick release it adds a lot of bulk to an already bulky watch.  I also read a lot of stories about people loosing them in races if they wore them on their wrist, which I did.  So earlier this year when Garmin put h the 500 on sale I got one of those.  I really like it for a cycling computer.  Bigger screen, more info and the temperature graph in the results is fun, although a few deg high.

This year I have worn the 310XT on my wrist (without the quick release) for the entire race.  When I set my bike up in transition I start the 500 but have it auto pause so it will automatically start once the bike moves.  This way I have the 500 on my bars for info while riding and the 310 is recording everything but I don't have to move it.  This may sound really complicated but ends up being much simpler then moving the 310 around during the race.

With that said you can't beat the value of the 310XT.  You can get one for $162 with the HRM. (heartratemoniotrsusa + goggling for a 5% off coupon) I don't know if I would have gotten the 500 at it's current price of $200 for just the computer.

Read all the reviews at DC Rainmakers sight.  You will know more than you ever wanted to about each device when you are done.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews

-Matt

Edited by podemma 2014-08-01 8:16 AM
2014-08-01 8:21 AM
in reply to: podemma

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

To clarify this sentence in my above post.  "I also read a lot of stories about people loosing them in races if they wore them on their wrist, which I did."  I wore the watch on my wrist with the quick release during races.  Luckily I did not loose it!

2014-08-01 5:51 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Expert
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Originally posted by Qua17

I learned a great tip for hill-climbing. Two, actually.

(1): Pedal angry. Grip your bars and pull up, and lock your upper body, down through your core, to anchor the glutes to the quads. It turns the upper body motion (which is completely wasted) into power. Works even better with aerobars, since you can push down with your shoulders to the pads while pulling up on the front of the bars.

(2): Shift *before* you feel the burn. Click, Click, Click. Shift early, shift often.

Alan and Charles - Your advice is why I love this group. I'm always learning something. And when that something makes the hills s#ck less, I love the BDAAS even more!

2014-08-01 6:54 PM

User image

Expert

Just make sure you are not rocking your body side to side. When climbing keep your body straight on the road. the bike should be the thing moving side to side. 

I can't say I've ever climbed on the aerobars, that seems like it would be wasteful because you don't get much benefit from being on the aero bars under 30 kph. Climbing out of the saddle grip the hoods for dear life. In the saddle sit as upright as possible and grip on either side of the stem. If you've got aerobars you can grab the pads if possible. Sitting up in this position activates your glutes and hams the best possible way. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEqQW1-casM

Watch this video. When Lance attacks he's on the hoods and the bike is swaying violently underneath him but his body is nearly motionless (side to side). Then at around 6 minutes you can see him go to the bar tops and climbs like that with great strength. 

As far as shifting goes, I agree with Charles on one point, shift early. When you're new to climbing you'll need to shift often. Once you've had experience you should be able to choose a gear at the start of the climb that is suitable for the entire climb. Shifting often puts undue stress on your derailleur and saps your momentum because you need to ease up on your pedal stroke with each shift. Unless of course the hill has a significant grade change, like an upward kick near the top. Pick a gear that you can climb at around 70-90 RPM don't worry about speed. And remember its always more economical to push harder up a hill than it is to push harder on the downhill. 

Alan - I want to ask a question about your statement - "It's always more economical to push harder up a hill than it is to push harder on the downhill."

I was thinking about the benefit/cost of pushing up a hill as opposed to putting less effort into the up and more into the down. I was DYING today on the hills - doing about 100-200 feet of gain each hill and again - follow my coaches advice to pedal at max sustainable effort.

Pushing harder up a hill seems draining and even when I am really hammering - I might only gain 3-4 miles per hour (from 7 to 10 mph on an uphill) while losing a TON of energy. It would seem better to me to hammer away on the flats and save my energy for that - when I might gain the same miles per hour another way without killing myself to do it.

Talk to me - what's the best way to make the most of a limited amount of energy with all those hills at IMMT?
2014-08-01 7:02 PM

User image

Expert

I like the ability to take it swimming and use it for all three sports instead of being limited to one. Hmmmm.... especially when ows and I have no idea how far I've gone.

I have one of the cheapest HR monitors on the planet so take what I am about to say with a grain of salt - but if you throw swimming into the mix - wouldn't the 910 be worth a look. From what I have heard - the 910 gives you tons of details about your swimming while give your more info than you really want about biking and running.
2014-08-01 7:26 PM

User image

All is explained here under the section 'does equipment and weight matter'. Basically your wasting energy pushing downhill because the time savings are minimal. You're better off trying to minimize time loss on the way up and then getting a solid recovery on the way down. And that is a relative 'push'. If you're already riding at your maximal effort up hill, you're already doing everything you can to minimize time loss. For example, I ride on the flat at a comfortable 155 BPM. On a hill I'd have no problem pushing that to 165 BPM for a sustained climbing effort and then recovering downhill. But If I were already riding at 165 BPM pushing any harder than that would be more than what I could get back from a downhill recovery or rather more than I'm willing to give.  

http://myworldfromabicycle.blogspot.ca/2010/09/aerodynamics-in-cycling-and-how-to-be.html

2014-08-01 7:30 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Expert
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

To add to Adam's post - pushing hard on the descents is a waste, but *don't* stop pedaling. Spin out that gear, as it helps clear the lactate buildup from the legs.

It is easy to see with a powermeter - in a significant climb, I will push between 240 and 300 watts, whereas my average steady state is around 160 to 180. My goal average watts for IM is 150 to 160, for comparison. On the descents, so long as I keep pedaling, I can still put out 100 watts without hurting my recovery from the climb - so 100 watts of free speed. Free is good

I agree about free speed - just wondering where to put my energy - the flats or the uphills
2014-08-01 7:32 PM

User image

I have a question of opinion for the group. I think I've made my decision but I would like others to weigh in. 

I recently sold my bass amp ( I used to play a lot in high school) and made a cool $600. I'm now debating whether I should upgrade my derailleur, buy a larger crank (mine is only 50T right now and I've outgrown that) and a new turbo trainer (already have one but it doesn't work the best) or do I buy a stages power meter. 

The mech upgrades will only give me a minimal performance improvement over training with a power meter but Chain reaction has amazing deals right now the mech whereas stages power meters are always going to be the price they are. 

Do I buy a power meter now and upgrade bit by bit for more money later or do I upgrade now at low cost and wait on the power meter?

With winter coming I think the power meter will help me to become a far better rider during my winter training so I'm leaning to that one.

What would you do? Or would you do something else entirely? 

(Wheels are not an option for me, however, in that price range I'm not gaining anything significant over my current wheel set.)

2014-08-01 7:35 PM

User image

Well you should have an idea of what your highest HR or power output you can sustain on the flats for the IM bike leg and ride at that pace. When you come to hill I would evaluate your energy levels and how you feel. If you think you can push a little harder uphill without burning up too much energy then go for it. Otherwise play the safe card and maintain your ideal output on every grade even if it means slow climbs. 

2014-08-01 7:57 PM

User image

Expert

All is explained here under the section 'does equipment and weight matter'. Basically your wasting energy pushing downhill because the time savings are minimal. You're better off trying to minimize time loss on the way up and then getting a solid recovery on the way down. And that is a relative 'push'. If you're already riding at your maximal effort up hill, you're already doing everything you can to minimize time loss. For example, I ride on the flat at a comfortable 155 BPM. On a hill I'd have no problem pushing that to 165 BPM for a sustained climbing effort and then recovering downhill. But If I were already riding at 165 BPM pushing any harder than that would be more than what I could get back from a downhill recovery or rather more than I'm willing to give.  

http://myworldfromabicycle.blogspot.ca/2010/09/aerodynamics-in-cycling-and-how-to-be.html

I will check out the article - thanks for posting.

First and foremost - if you are pedaling at 155 "comfortable" - You. Are. A. Stud!

But here is what I want to know. All of this is new to me... I'm a Dave Scott kind of guy - Up until a year ago - it was all about effort. So the science is new and I'm just trying to understand.

OK - so I know I'm trying to exercise at 60%-75% max heart rate which for me is about 108 to 132...So how are you pushing up to 165 without totally killing yourself? Is it all about average?... Today, despite the killer uphills (and they were killer - at least for me. At one point, I actually got off my bike and said a prayer) I was averaging 127 despite the 150+ hr when I was climbing the hills. So does that mean I could keep pushing as long as I don't go over 132? I was beat when I got home and I can't imagine hoping off the bike and doing an marathon. I know my body is tired - but whay does the science tell me I should do?

I really want to figure this out - because the rides this week are about to break me and if I could learn something - it would make it worth it.

Thanks a ton. That first beer (none of that Molson crap) is on me
2014-08-01 8:18 PM

User image

The Effort is all about functioning threshold. My functioning threshold is up in the high 60s. I can hold 155 comfortably and push to 165 and start to feel it. When I started training in the spring, my comfortable HR was 145 and 165 would have left me panting and burning.

If you can go 132 and sustain that effort comfortably then ride that. You should be able to push a little harder for short durations and not have hurt your overall performance as long as you can effectively recover on a downhill. 

If you do primarily base building you won't increase your FT that much. My guess is your coach is having you work hard lately because he wants to increase your FT. That last portion of your training would be the 'build' period. You've put down big numbers at moderate intensities and developed a strong aerobic base for the last few months and now you're doing threshold and VO2 efforts to increase your power. Theoretically, after a few weeks (even a week depending on how you workout) you should notice that you can hold a higher HR with a lower RPE than you could before and therefore ride a little faster. 

2014-08-01 9:32 PM
in reply to: #4996400

User image

, Vermont
This is a great back and forth. I am learning a ton. Thank you all.
I'm looking at the 910xt now. The only downside I see to it - I have a very small wrist and will certainly have to try it on first. It doesn't come with a bike mount but apparently there is a modification you can purchase. I'd just as soon leave it on my wrist for a race but training could be different. HRM is included.
On vacation as of tonight for a week and will finish it off with a sprint tri next Sunday! We'll see how well rested I can get! Picked up a growler of Conehead IPA today! Can't wait to crack it out tomorrow! I also splurged on case (12) of Switchback (they're 22 ouncers) to bring...I may relax on vacation more than I plan...
Cheers!
Jenn
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50822 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19607 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.