General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running replacement? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-12 1:42 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Subject: Running replacement?
So I went to the podiatrist this morning. My flat feet and bunion are the bane of my existence and I need orthotics ($380! :-O ). It'll take 3 weeks and she recommended that I not run at all till then (which is a very good call, but I needed to be told). Well, the tri I was aiming for is 8 weeks away. I kinda have a feeling I should start looking for a later one.

So, any idea how to keep in running shape when I can't run? I was thinking about finding steep hills and walking up them. Think that'll work? Is there some better way?

Oh and I biked on my stationary bike last night (I don't have a bike either. Am I the most pathetic wanna-be-triathlete or what?) for about an hour and today my knees are all tight and poppy. I REALLY don't want another setback. How do I avoid this turning into an injury? I was staying around 90 rpm.

Thanks everyone! This is such a great board! Sorry I just ask questions all the time and am rarely of help to anyone else! :-(

-Kim

2004-07-12 1:59 PM
in reply to: #36909

User image

Expert
Olney, MD
Subject: RE: Running replacement?
Have you ever used an elliptical machine at the gym? I think that would be a good/low impact substitution for running (for the time being) to help keep you in shape.
2004-07-12 2:03 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
A good temp replacement is the Elliptical(sp?) trainer. It eliminates the impact and if you use one of the pre-programed courses, they provide a good workout. I am coming off back problems, and this is my running replacement, and it works!! another replacement is "pool running". Go to the pool and get shoulder deep. run in place with out impacting the bottem (except for ballance). You will find new place to be sore after a good "pool run". Hope this helps, it worked for me.
2004-07-12 2:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
I agree with the pool run advice. My cross-country coach used that as cross training to keep the impact off of our joints. I like the elliptical as well. Keep those legs well stretched...that will be very important when you come back !!! Good luck with the rest and focus on the swim and bike!
2004-07-12 3:08 PM

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT
Definitely go with the pool running. I got a stress fracture a few years ago about a quarter of the way through my marathon traning. I ended up doing pool running for all but the last month or so. So it can be done, just be prepared to be bored out of your mind.
2004-07-12 5:11 PM

Veteran
Colorado
Well, doesn't that just stink (or something a bit stronger perhaps?!). My husband has had problems with flat feet and bunions too so I know how awful it can be. Sorry to hear you are having to deal with it.

More votes for pool running: It really does seem to be a great substitution during injury recovery. There is a woman in my masters swim group who is suffering the effects of a nasty bike crash (ribs and shoulder probs mainly) and she has one of those aqua jogger belts and goes in the deep end and runs. She says it is working well for her!

Good luck

2004-07-12 6:35 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Ok, so pool running sounds like it's it! I was hoping you wouldn't say that because I really, really want to be outside and not have to pay for it! ;-) But 'ces't la vie' seems to be the name of the game when it comes to triathlon!

So, I guess I really don't understand water running. If my feet don't touch the bottom, do I just tread water with my arms? And where can I find waterproof books? ;-)

Thanks guys!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running replacement? Rss Feed