BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2014-05-28 11:16 PM
in reply to: medeiros13

User image

Waco, Texas
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN)
Yes Jay, I do run on the same side(right) every time I run. I also run the same loop which is about a mile. I usually run for about 30 minutes right now, but running an hour on the treadmill was a walk in the park. Maybe doubling up my run one day made my knees just more noticeable the next? Also for trail running would wearing my normal running shoes be ok, or will running on trails wear them out a lot more than asphalt? I really try to keep my shoes in good shape.

I've also had a lot of people recommend Total Immersion so I might just give it a shot.

2014-05-28 11:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
So for me not only is the nearest coach more than 100 miles away, but so is the closest pool that is open more than 5 weeks out of the year. I did a TI clinic and it got me to swim freestyle, not fast, but functional.

I alternate sides of the road for that camber reason. I usually run no more than 3 miles on one side of the road and often end up switching ever 1.5 miles during my weekly runs, just because of how things are set up.

For trail runs it depends on how rocky the trail is. If it is highly technical you might want the support of trail shoes. If it is just like gravel and fairly flat footing it should be fine. Your shoes will probably be fine either way.

Running on a treadmill is fine. The only things you miss is that many treadmills have inaccurate speed, so it is hard to tell how fast you are going, you often have to put it at 1% up so you don't mush your toes into the front of your shoes and you will need to figure out pacing outside because you won't have a feel for how much effort to put in to run a certain pace. But you can pick that up in a couple weeks outside before your race.

You could have a muscle imbalance in one of your legs which would mean that you would want to do some strength training in your legs to help balance them out.

If I get sore feet, knees etc., I also consider how old my shoes are. The knee issue could also be related to bad bike fit where you are putting too much effort on keeping your weight back (too aggressive of a fit).

Edited by Baowolf 2014-05-28 11:35 PM
2014-05-29 6:05 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Floyd, I think Jay and Steve nailed it regarding road camber. But it could be an imbalance too. I had to do lot of strengthening for my knees because as one MT put it, I'm the most unbalanced person he had every seen.

Carl, I'm too klutzy to even run on a treadmill but I had a running partner that used them tremendously. She always increased the speed for the last 1/3 or her runs which always lead to negative splits in her race. She pulled that out of me too on our long runs. She taught me so much.

Just finished my morn run and now hubby and I are leaving for mini vaca!!! Happy Day!
2014-05-29 4:18 PM

User image

Waco, Texas
I would never have thought running on one side of the road would have that big of an effect! Thanks for the info everyone. I'll be sure to change it up for future runs.
2014-05-29 6:26 PM
in reply to: Floydciii

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
6 mile run done....still slower than I'd like. I did shoulders at the gym so I skipped swimming today and my legs weren't feeling the best so I didn't bike either. See Steve, I'm learning this slow/steady build thing
2014-05-30 12:46 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Jay you make me so proud. I'm just gona adopt the whole group.

2014-05-31 11:37 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Hello everyone:

Steve,Pam,Carol,Linda,Mitch, Anish, Jay Welcome Floyd !

Was about to spend the weekend with family out of town my boy got sick so stay at home for now. I am still slacking of in getting on the saddle or getting wet. I'll get something done no matter what i still have the rest of the day.

Steve your right that 1 deg. on the dreadmill makes alot of difference a little more want me to go back on the real road. I'll do that 1 deg. all the time now.

Enjoy the rest of weekend everyone

2014-05-31 7:35 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
May numbers, lets see em.

Swim: 15h 34m 15s - 36400 Yd

Bike: 41h 36m 15s - 758.77 Mi

Run: 27h 24m 01s - 184.23 Mi

My body is a bit iffy with muscles etc. at this point in the build. 1 more week of big build, hopefully I can muddle through it without incident and then recover for racer start. Even though this is a recovery week I am pretty spent after a 70 mile bike ride and 3.8 mile brick run. Hope everyone's training is going well.
2014-06-01 12:23 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Major Event is 3 months away
Aug.23 Oly and Labor Day Oly

maintenance training only

Swim: 9h 59m 59s - 20962 Yd
Bike: 20h 16m 35s - 368.12 Mi
Run: 9h 46m 16s - 62.26 Mi

Summer Has Arrived!!!

2014-06-01 9:17 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Hi Steve, and everyone. Still room? I need some motivation
2014-06-01 2:28 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Always room common in.

2014-06-01 6:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Will catch up on the posts later but thought I'd post my numbers. Back from mini vaca and I'm exhausted

Run: 15h 29m - 80.3 Mi - better. Not where I should be
Core Training: 2h 40m - I've got to get back to this.
Dancing: 6h 00m - Fun but silly me fell off my shoes
Frisbee: 1h 30m
Misc.: 2h 45m - Adventure Zip lines
Stretching: 35m
Walking: 30m
Yard Work: 1h 00m
2014-06-02 7:54 AM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Master
Maryland
Everyone has some nice numbers way to go!
I have not logged in May since I was recovering (and racing). But I will start this month again.
I am looking forward to a more relaxed and outdoor training segment for the next few months.
Love this weather! I am not looking back on the harsh winter : )
2014-06-02 10:15 AM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
OK, proper intro to rejoin the group. Thanks for having me again!

NAME: Carol (aka Squirt)

FAMILY/DESCRIPTION: Married for 26 years to the love of my life. 48 years old. 3 dogs and one cat. I have had Type 1 diabetes for over 20 years.

TRI/RUNNING HISTORY: Started running in my early 40's then morphed into some Tri's. I've completed 3 OLYs, 9 Sprints, 2 Full Marathons, 7 Half Marathons, 1 20K (trail), 1 15K, 8 10K's, 2 4mi, 15 5K's, a few bike rally's.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm in the slow lane right now. Had a series of injury issues related to running in the last year, and that was my "go to" thing. Honestly not sure that running is the healthiest thing for me, but I love being outdoors and active, and I enjoy the variety that tri's encourage me to embrace.

2014 RACES: Not sure on races, but I would like to do a bike rally or two, and also have a bucket list thing of swimming in the San Fran Bay (protected area) at a place called the Dolphin Club. I've watched people swimming there the last couple years among the sea lions early in the morning, and am drawn to it for some strange reason.

WEIGHTLOSS: Yes, please. I'm up 25 lbs because I stopped running last year, but kept eating like I still was. I want to fit into my wetsuit by the time I go to San Fran later this summer .

Happy to be back in this group, and to welcome new members! Love the family feel here, and how we encourage each other and balance each other out. Thanks to Steve for mentoring again!
2014-06-02 10:18 AM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
As I said in my intro, I'm in the slow lane right now, but at least I'm still moving. May totals:

Swim: 3h 51m 20s - 10500 Yd

Bike: 3h 39m 41s - 45.72 Mi

Run: 5h 51m 05s - 20.25 Mi

Home Improvement: 13h 45m

Yard Work: 6h 30m
2014-06-02 1:08 PM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
Swim: 0.83 hours, 2550 yd
Bike: 5.41 hours, 66.16 mi
Run: 6.82 hours, 43.31 mi
Strength: 1.52 hours
Sports: 8.08 hours (soccer, basketball, kayak, wakeboard)

Unfortunately no month-over-month growth (total activity was an hour less than last month) but that's promising since an injury kept me out of the water and off my feet for a chunk of the month.

I'm improving my running by leaps and bounds; posted a really good 10k time last week with an 8:35 average pace. My cut is healed enough that I should be able to get back in the pool. My non-tri sports activities kinda buoyed my numbers for the month.

Everyone is looking really good! Keep it up!

2014-06-02 1:15 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
@MikeD
Welcome back man!!! hope your legs are better.

@Linda
You deserved the long break i am sure your maintaining.

@Pam
You remind me i am slacking in my home hours i should dedicated 1 hr. a week to dedicate to making my own energy bar.

@Carol
Hope your feeling better now , welcome back.

@Phil
Yo man i believe you were injured not so good hows your recovery.

Summer June

Slowly going to 3 digits outside

Cheers

Carl
2014-06-02 1:17 PM

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
recovery is great! i'm back running at my regular pace; i'm going to start swimming again. there's still lots of swelling and the shin is still sensitive; i played another soccer match on wednesday and got tagged a couple times on my shin guards which jolted me. i should've probably given more time to recover but sitting on the bench or sitting at home just makes me anxious!
2014-06-02 1:33 PM

User image

New user
OK May totals:

Swim 6,190 yards / 3h05min
Bike 253 miles / 16h43min
Run 38 miles / 7h31min

Once again overall increase in all 3 disciplines. Me proud

I think I am ready to register to this mid-July Oly. I know I have work to do on the run, but feel extra confident in the swim and bike. Last night I swam 1,600 meters after a 4 hour bike ride.

Good job everyone!
2014-06-02 2:02 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Originally posted by strykergt

Slowly going to 3 digits outside

Noooooooo!!!!!

Carl, your training is looking good!

Isabella, great to hear you are ready to take on an OLY .

Yes, Linda, you do deserve some more relaxed time outdoors, enjoy!

Looking forward to meeting MikeD later this week!

Getting back to walking and even did a 20 min yoga tape last night. Feeling better, but minimal activity is still tiring me out. I'm not so sure I didn't have the flu, but I guess it doesn't matter what you call it. My FIL was in the hospital last week and has declined mentally and physically. Sad all of it, but we need to stay as healthy as we can to deal. So entered this new week with a renewed determination to eat healthy foods, protect our sleep (lots of midnight phone calls from FIL and assisted living), and get some gentle physical activity.
2014-06-02 4:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Carol, so sorry about your FIL. Will be praying for all of you.

Yay, go Isabella, go!

Phil, you are still fast even recovering from the injury. And do I see a race for you next weekend? Best of luck and have fun.

Steve. so sorry you are cooked from the build! I'm thankful to hear your doubts/thoughts (makes me realize that we all have them) but I've already seen, you will hit every one of those training days. You have got to be one of the most mentally tough beast I've every had to pleasure to know.

Glad to see so many of our group back. Bet we will hear from Samantha soon as CDA gets closer.

Husband and I went on a trip to celebrate 20 years of marriage. I have to brag. Once I went out running later than him and came to a loop and was trying to figure out which direction to meet up with him. I saw some people and asked if they had seen a man running in their direction. They said, "Yea, was he the man in really, really good shape?" I proudly responded that "Yep, that was my husband."

Anybody used the Hanson Brothers Marathon plan? I finally read most of it this weekend. Hubby and I are thinking about a marathon in Nov and I'm considering using it. Must admit tho that I'm scared. 6x week, training by pace, more hardcore than I've done, different thinking. And then I'd have to go back to being a slave to the watch which I really don't want to do. Just thinking about it.

Edited by Pink Socks 2014-06-02 5:00 PM

2014-06-02 5:39 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Linda, we didn't get to stalk you er follow your progress on your 2nd mary... and no RR, so spill what was your time and give us some dirt on how the race went. I am sure I am not the only one trying to be patient in waiting for the info, but... lets have it? Hope your legs doing alright after 2 mary's so close in time.
2014-06-03 1:21 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
@Steve
Wow did not notice the 20+ Hrs./week peak , your KQ Training plan makes me dizzy.
Honestly im really excited to stalk you on IMCDA as much as i followed Pam stalking you at IMLT.
Goodluck bro with one week to go before taper im taking notes on your training its a good time
to be careful for injuries.

@Carol
Sorry about your father in law. Dealing with adult patients in my career they do tend to go back to being a child your FIL is just lucky your husband and you are there to look after him. I am sure you are staying strong for your hubby.. Your family is in my thoughts.

@Phil
Glad your on track for recovery. Still plenty of time for HIM training.

@Isabelle
Good numbers on track for your Oly . I envy your race is closer than mine.

@Pam
I hope i can maintain my running like you do

I am really hoping Samantha will join in just pm'ed her.

Have Fun everyone!!

2014-06-03 1:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Good to see everyone signing up for another round and getting themselves back working toward their goals! Someone mentioned making their own energy bars....I'd love to see the recipe. I've got a few Jamie Eason protein recipes and a Phil Bar recipe if anyone is interested.

I'm a little disappointed I couldn't continue my momentum last week through the weekend but I worked a double shift and had 2 nights of overtime....lots of hours. I'm very thankful that 16 hours at my new prison feels nothing like my old....lack of stress contributes to that bigtime I think. I'm hoping I can start doing a little more biking and try to get up before work to do some biking/running....that's the next step for me.

I lifted with my wife today and then did some more work by myself. I still think its important to help her with her goals while working toward mine....she needs me to help her with her powerlifting. After lifting, I got in 1K in the pool with a long of 200 consecutive. My goal was to go home and then go riding outside but I was tired...so my goal is to hit the trainer while Kiley is at school tonight. I'm hoping some UFC on DVR will keep me motivated while I pedal into nothingness.
2014-06-03 8:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by medeiros13

Good to see everyone signing up for another round and getting themselves back working toward their goals! Someone mentioned making their own energy bars....I'd love to see the recipe. I've got a few Jamie Eason protein recipes and a Phil Bar recipe if anyone is interested.

I'm a little disappointed I couldn't continue my momentum last week through the weekend but I worked a double shift and had 2 nights of overtime....lots of hours. I'm very thankful that 16 hours at my new prison feels nothing like my old....lack of stress contributes to that bigtime I think. I'm hoping I can start doing a little more biking and try to get up before work to do some biking/running....that's the next step for me.

I lifted with my wife today and then did some more work by myself. I still think its important to help her with her goals while working toward mine....she needs me to help her with her powerlifting. After lifting, I got in 1K in the pool with a long of 200 consecutive. My goal was to go home and then go riding outside but I was tired...so my goal is to hit the trainer while Kiley is at school tonight. I'm hoping some UFC on DVR will keep me motivated while I pedal into nothingness.

First, please post the recipes. I've gotta try different nutrition since my stomach forsaken me at my last mary. Second, sorry that the streak didn't continue but it will. Third, totally right to be there for Kylie. When/if I go to the gym, I need K to help me. I know that Kylie really appreciates it and your are awesome to to that for her.

Finally broke down and replaced my car stereo since my former stereo ate cds for the 2nd time. When they told me that it would be an hour+, I changes to running clothes and got a double in today.

Anyone watching softball world series? We are usually all about baseball but got into the super regionals softball series because of FSU. Enjoying the games although the Dawgs didn't make it, FSU is out, and my next choice team is currently getting beat. Happy it is a SECfest but as a UGA fan, I've always been taught to cheer for Dawgs first and anyone playing Gators second. Oh well, so far the Gator girls deserve it. Dang, that hurt to say.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 30

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.