BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-11-01 6:51 PM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Originally posted by Fred D Had a strong ride today. My riding buddy bonked near the end and I had to slowly get him back to a convenience store so he could get picked up by his wife. One day, I will be that guy, so I had no problem being a good friend today. I really like riding with him, as we mainly talk on the rides anyway. Anyone else have a riding buddy?

I did, and he was the guy that got me into tris.  He was doing IM distances when I started, and he trained a lot with me and got me "up to speed".  More than a few times did what you did today.   Can't tell you how important that was in keeping me in the game, so good work Fred.  I slowly caught up to him, and ultimately passed him as he started training less and less due to family.   Hopefully I can return the favor when he's ready.

Ironically, it's his wife that I've been training with now and am going to be running the marathon with next weekend (well, "with", she was a 3:30 IM marathoner so I will be starting with her, LOL)

2014-11-02 5:16 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Master
Northern IL

Masters club ran an SCM meet today. Hadn't been swimming, so volunteered instead. Somehow got the job of Head Timer. Thought that might have been the clock/scoreboard operator, but it was actually just watching the stopwatches that back up this system. HS swim team girls were running the watches (2 per lane) and I'd start a pair and swap in whenever they fudged one or the watch was acting up, so fairly easy job actually.

Did get to see local pro Nick Early swim against one of our fast guys in the 100 & 400. Power looking guy, and has a rather long almost catch-up drill stroke. Seems to move along with a 57.xx and 4:51.xx in each, iirc. Also had former Olympian David Sims swimming here again. I knew who he was, but didn't know he was making record attempts today. Bunch of the girls lined up at the block and were cheering him on at every turn. Not sure if he got any of them yet. The guy next to him in the 400 IM had swam the 200 fly in 2:22 earlier (scm here). In perfect sync the way down, but David pulled a few lengths on him just in fly and kept right on going in the other strokes. One of our girls also in that heat went ~5:57 and was lapped about the time she was starting free.

2014-11-02 5:35 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by brigby1
Masters club ran an SCM meet today. Hadn't been swimming, so volunteered instead. Somehow got the job of Head Timer.

Cool !!!!

Hey, remember that d-bag ref that DQ'd me for shaking my arm last year ? The one that called me "son"

Turns out he wanted to DQ Bo at worlds this summer because his father was "cheering too loud". Had his father been his coach, Bo could have been DQ'd. Maybe d-bag
2014-11-02 6:39 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Something is wrong with me.....

tonights swim workout

3x500yds on 8:00 (6:48, 6:42, 6:23)

I swam 3000yds the other day after 3 weeks of no swimming and bam! it was like I never stopped swimming......
2014-11-03 7:33 AM
in reply to: marcag

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by brigby1 Masters club ran an SCM meet today. Hadn't been swimming, so volunteered instead. Somehow got the job of Head Timer.
Cool !!!! Hey, remember that d-bag ref that DQ'd me for shaking my arm last year ? The one that called me "son" Turns out he wanted to DQ Bo at worlds this summer because his father was "cheering too loud". Had his father been his coach, Bo could have been DQ'd. Maybe d-bag

Haven't let that one go yet? That's funny with Bo's dad!

I had no authority like that. Mostly just being the backup for the backups. There were several USMS officials around for that. Think there were a few things called. One over by me was a guy trying to do the 50 fly. Couldn't quite make the return leg and did a couple short under water arm recoveries so the ref had to call it. Very apologetic for having to do it and explained it to the guy when he got out of the pool. Might have been the same guy who flagged me for the breaststroke kick in the 100 IM last year. Both extremes going on the meet with record attempts and "just get there" going on.

I think Bo would have popped a blood vessel watching one lady do the 200 fly. Broke every part of the stroke down into like 1 step at a time with the slightest pause between each, but hey, legal butterfly non-stop for 4 1/2 minutes!

2014-11-03 8:15 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
I watch "Slaying the Badger" yesterday on Netflix. Great watch but that was my era of cycling. Lemond was my inspiration at that time. One of my favorite quotes from the show;

The art of cycling… 

“You can suffer as much as you want.  If you do the wrong thing at the wrong time you will never win the race.  You cannot compensate your stupidness by suffering more.   First, you must begin to do the right thing at the right moment.  That is the art of cycling.”   

By Paul Koechli, Directeur Sportif, La Vie Claire

Edited by BrotherTri 2014-11-03 8:18 AM

2014-11-03 12:40 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

LOL, here is my finish line photo.  I was back and forth with the kid pretty much the whole time and he got me at the line.  I let him win....

All I see is the guy with the Ironman visor eating dust from the kid with the 5k and 10k shirt.  LMAO.  Luckily for me, if I was in this race, I would not be anywhere near in the picture.  

2014-11-03 12:59 PM

User image

Seattle

LOL, here is my finish line photo.  I was back and forth with the kid pretty much the whole time and he got me at the line.  I let him win....

OMG hahahaha! I love it

2014-11-03 1:37 PM

User image

First race of '15 set..... got in 2d round Alcatraz.  Woot!  See ya in SF Mark and Arend!

2014-11-03 2:02 PM

User image

Congrats...sounds like there will be nothing "for fun" about this race for the three of you.  

2014-11-03 2:38 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ChrisM

First race of '15 set..... got in 2d round Alcatraz.  Woot!  See ya in SF Mark and Arend!

Woohoo!

2014-11-03 4:06 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Jason N

All I see is the guy with the Ironman visor eating dust from the kid with the 5k and 10k shirt.  LMAO.  Luckily for me, if I was in this race, I would not be anywhere near in the picture.  

There are so many clichés in that pic.   

2014-11-03 4:34 PM

Master
, California

Woohoo!

Awesome!  I'm really looking forward to this one.

2014-11-03 5:01 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

And i made it through the bulk of the training for Saturday's trail marathon.  Work has been a bit&* and will continue to be so, so the plan this week is try to rest if I can, cuz this is the elevation profile....

2014-11-03 5:15 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Wow!  First of all, I would be dead by the 4 mile mark.  Second, if I did happen to make it to the last 2 miles, I would probably fall on my face on the descent!  That looks like an adventure!  

2014-11-03 5:18 PM

User image

Seattle

And i made it through the bulk of the training for Saturday's trail marathon.  Work has been a bit&* and will continue to be so, so the plan this week is try to rest if I can, cuz this is the elevation profile....

That looks awesome!!! Is it single track or what? Where is it? Do you wear more of a trail shoe? 

One of my goals for the upcoming year is to tackle some trail stuff. You will have to let us know how it goes!

There is a whole world of mountain running that I have just learned about in the past year. They have a mountain running national (and world) championship and everything. One of our club runners is the current National Champ. 

2014-11-03 5:33 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-11-03 5:34 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-11-03 5:37 PM
in reply to: 0

Seattle

Our club won the XC pac northwest championship

Sorry, no IM visors or fuel belts or whatnot. Although, I do see one pair of compression socks so maybe that is enough for you guys to be interested

Edited by Asalzwed 2014-11-03 5:38 PM
2014-11-03 6:07 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed

That looks awesome!!! Is it single track or what? Where is it? Do you wear more of a trail shoe? 

One of my goals for the upcoming year is to tackle some trail stuff. You will have to let us know how it goes!

There is a whole world of mountain running that I have just learned about in the past year. They have a mountain running national (and world) championship and everything. One of our club runners is the current National Champ. 

You and me both! My eyes just lit up looking at that. Good luck with this Chris!

2014-11-03 6:08 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Fred D

Congrats to the Alcatraz crew!

Definitely sound like a fun race.

I know I keep asking, but anyone have any interest in Syracuse 70.3 or Musselman next year?

Wait, what? Are these triathlons? 

2014-11-03 6:09 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by BrotherTri Something is wrong with me..... tonights swim workout 3x500yds on 8:00 (6:48, 6:42, 6:23) I swam 3000yds the other day after 3 weeks of no swimming and bam! it was like I never stopped swimming......

Those are sub 1-hour IM swim metrics!

Yah, never stopped? Is that actually faster than before?

2014-11-03 7:20 PM

Wow!  First of all, I would be dead by the 4 mile mark.  Second, if I did happen to make it to the last 2 miles, I would probably fall on my face on the descent!  That looks like an adventure!  

That course looks brutal.  Hats off to you Chris for even thinking about attempting it.  Should be epic.

Hawaii is actually known for one of the most famous trail runs in the world.  Well...ultra trail run to be specific.  The HURT 100 is held every January and there is a lottery system and waiting list to gain entry.  People come from all over the world.  Here's the elevation profile...

(HURT elevation.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
HURT elevation.jpg (34KB - 2 downloads)
2014-11-03 7:44 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Congrats to the Alcatraz crew!

Definitely sound like a fun race.

I know I keep asking, but anyone have any interest in Syracuse 70.3 or Musselman next year?

Wait, what? Are these triathlons? 

Those are 2 awesome triathlons. Syracuse is very challenging race.
2014-11-03 7:47 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Originally posted by BrotherTri Something is wrong with me..... tonights swim workout 3x500yds on 8:00 (6:48, 6:42, 6:23) I swam 3000yds the other day after 3 weeks of no swimming and bam! it was like I never stopped swimming......

Those are sub 1-hour IM swim metrics!

Yah, never stopped? Is that actually faster than before?

The last time I swam was three week prior to that 3000 yds swim. Just a lot of nothing in Oct.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37661 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72986 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.