BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-11-10 10:27 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Originally posted by GoFaster

Originally posted by axteraa

Got some video from my swims on the weekend.  Lane 6 (closest to the camera) for the 200 free, Lane 5 for the other two.  If anyone follows the swim threads on ST, JasoninHalifax is in the lane beside me for the 200 free.  My turnover seems to be quite a bit slower than the others.

50 free - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga9NN1Xgfug&list=UUwL0GOBPaufAHecXr0yPOsw

You really are a triathlete - you go to a running race with an Ironman visor and a swim meet with no cap!

Just doing my bit to maintain the stereotypes.  

2014-11-10 10:42 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Masters meet this afternoon. SCM

200 free - 2:20.69
50 free - 27.99
100 breast - 1:21.39

200 free was good, 50 free ( 2 hours later) - not so good, 100 breast (15 mins after 50 free) was pretty good.

Those are some FAST times, Arend!  Congrats!

I did a 200 off the blocks last week and was about 27 seconds slower than you....it's crazy to me how fast you are when I can put it into perspective like that! 

Only 27sec?  Nicole you're a fair bit faster than me then.  I just don't understand these times when compared to my own swimming.

I would have actually guessed a little closer, but that's probably the longer race focus. Less experience at swim race intensity. Off the blocks and being in a swim meet matters. I've surprised myself there on the short ones.

2014-11-10 10:46 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL

Got some video from my swims on the weekend.  Lane 6 (closest to the camera) for the 200 free, Lane 5 for the other two.  If anyone follows the swim threads on ST, JasoninHalifax is in the lane beside me for the 200 free.  My turnover seems to be quite a bit slower than the others.

50 free - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga9NN1Xgfug&list=UUwL0GOBPaufAHecXr0yPOsw

You really are a triathlete - you go to a running race with an Ironman visor and a swim meet with no cap!

Just doing my bit to maintain the stereotypes.  

One of our backstroke guys went without a cap at the last meet. Last time he went with one, but had some trouble with water coming over his face. We figured it was due to the cap as he normally goes without in training. The hair keeps it out normally. 59 and a full head of hair, so he kind of likes it. He's obsessed with backstroke though, opting to do the entire 400 free as backstroke. He usually has a 3:1 pattern of free to backstroke in the mile as well. Think he went 1:1 in the LCM meet, totally befuddling out backstroke sprinter when he looked over the splits.

2014-11-10 12:23 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by brigby1

50 free - 27.99

200 free was good, 50 free ( 2 hours later) - not so good, 100 breast (15 mins after 50 free) was pretty good.

I did a 200 off the blocks last week and was about 27 seconds slower than you....it's crazy to me how fast you are when I can put it into perspective like that! 

Only 27sec?  Nicole you're a fair bit faster than me then.  I just don't understand these times when compared to my own swimming.

I would have actually guessed a little closer, but that's probably the longer race focus. Less experience at swim race intensity. Off the blocks and being in a swim meet matters. I've surprised myself there on the short ones.

I'm pretty sure I had a few more seconds in me, but I had a few things working against me.  First, I suck at block starts!  I only manage to keep my goggles on about 50% of the time....and also tend to go too deep.  All of this will get better with practice, of course.  Second, I was so excited that I kept my goggles on my face that I basically sprinted 25m and ended up limping in the last 50m or so.  Better pacing would have resulted in a better time.  Live and learn

Also, I agree with you, Ben -- there's something about a race that gives you a little extra.  My (stretch) goal is to be able to qualify for USMS Nationals in the 100m and 200m free distances.

2014-11-10 1:00 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
Northern IL

50 free - 27.99

I'm pretty sure I had a few more seconds in me, but I had a few things working against me.  First, I suck at block starts!  I only manage to keep my goggles on about 50% of the time....and also tend to go too deep.  All of this will get better with practice, of course.  Second, I was so excited that I kept my goggles on my face that I basically sprinted 25m and ended up limping in the last 50m or so.  Better pacing would have resulted in a better time.  Live and learn

Also, I agree with you, Ben -- there's something about a race that gives you a little extra.  My (stretch) goal is to be able to qualify for USMS Nationals in the 100m and 200m free distances.

That would be a nice goal with short course being down in Texas (San Antonio) for the spring. I don't think the qualifying times are out of reach, but would depend on how much time you'd want to dedicate to swimming. Wish I knew better, but don't think it would have to be swim team crazy volumes. I've done the 100 you need (almost from the wall too) and should have been able to do the 200.

And unfortunately for me, while I did get something extra for the races, everyone else seemed to get more! I'm going with me being able to call it up more often in practice. It didn't take too long to figure out the dive angle. A few dives after a few separate practices and things were good. I was actually scraping the bottom (literally) the first couple times. The goggles was going a couple notches tighter on the band and also ducking my head much farther than I had ever thought to. Essentially going in blind once off the blocks. I may have actually saved a little much early on with the pacing, getting used to the hurt of the really short events.

2014-11-10 2:42 PM
in reply to: marcag

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by ChrisM I try to find the positive about every race, this one both my friend and I said at the end "never again, that was awful."  But here even 24 hours later, the nostalgia is setting in a little bit, and I am remembering the pain less and less and the experience a bit more.
And 48hours later he registers for another :-) Congratulations for slugging it out !

Hehe. Nice going Chris! It can be hard to know for sure about some events when going through the difficulties you did.

2014-11-10 3:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Unfortunately USMS Nationals are the same weekend as Galveston 70.3 and I had already registered for the 70.3.  So I'd be doing swim meets just for fun and to see if I could do it.  I'm also currently on a run focus, so not willing to swim more than 3x a week.  Maybe I'll do a swim focus some year, but run is my weakness and bike is my favorite, so you know how that goes!

2014-11-10 5:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Prediction for Bahrain in future versions

they will make it longer than current format (maybe IM)
they will at least double the money ($1M)
they will align with ITU to make it a real world championship
they will screw up Kona in the process

2014-11-10 5:53 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marcag Prediction for Bahrain in future versions they will make it longer than current format (maybe IM) they will at least double the money ($1M) they will align with ITU to make it a real world championship they will screw up Kona in the process

Interesting thoughts. What would you think of a triple Oly vs IM for it? Considering the ITU alignment with that thought.

2014-11-10 5:55 PM

Master
Northern IL

Unfortunately USMS Nationals are the same weekend as Galveston 70.3 and I had already registered for the 70.3.  So I'd be doing swim meets just for fun and to see if I could do it.  I'm also currently on a run focus, so not willing to swim more than 3x a week.  Maybe I'll do a swim focus some year, but run is my weakness and bike is my favorite, so you know how that goes!

Ah! That would make it difficult!

2014-11-10 6:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by marcag Prediction for Bahrain in future versions they will make it longer than current format (maybe IM) they will at least double the money ($1M) they will align with ITU to make it a real world championship they will screw up Kona in the process

Interesting thoughts. What would you think of a triple Oly vs IM for it? Considering the ITU alignment with that thought.

Could be. The contenders can swim, so I don't see why not.

Getting ITU WC status would add credibility.

This is going to be fun. Rumor is the Brownlees are in for Bahrain this year. Gomez out.

2014-11-12 7:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

In the spirit of complaining about winter....I don't know how you guys with real winters do it.  I actually bailed on my run last night because it was dark, cold (50F), windy, and drizzling.  It's not bailing if you're just switching "off" days, right?

2014-11-12 7:59 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

In the spirit of complaining about winter....I don't know how you guys with real winters do it.  I actually bailed on my run last night because it was dark, cold (50F), windy, and drizzling.  It's not bailing if you're just switching "off" days, right?

Yes, that's the rationalization to use.

~38F, overcast, had just finished raining and a 16 mph NW wind I was running into for the way home. This is still shorts weather.

ETA: When there is rain involved it is quite a bit harder to deal with as the amount of heat the water draws away is rather substantial. Cold & rain is much worse until temps drop down much lower with drier or even with some snow out. The risk of hypothermia is much greater with the way water can draw heat so quickly.

Edited by brigby1 2014-11-12 8:01 AM
2014-11-12 8:46 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I'm struggling with the sympathy.    Sounds like our weather for the last 2 weeks.

2014-11-12 9:20 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

I'm struggling with the sympathy.    Sounds like our weather for the last 2 weeks.

I got a good chuckle out of 50F + winter in the same sentence...

2014-11-12 12:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT

That looks to be my limit for outside rides and I live in Vermont. I know I need better winter riding gear. I just don't like feeling cold. Since I have dropped to roughly 11% bf, I have become even less tolerant. Oh, and what's an "off" day?

Edited by rsmoylan 2014-11-12 12:30 PM

2014-11-12 12:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

If it makes you feel any better, it was 46F and I swam in an outdoor pool this morning....Friday morning is slated to be in the upper 30's and I'll be swimming in the outdoor pool again.

We spent the whole summer (from May through September) never seeing below 78F....if you ask me to pick between running in 95F versus 45F, I'm inclined to pick the 95F even though I know I'd be faster at 45F!  Also, there's a LOT to be said about it being drizzly, windy, and dark....that would feel cold to me at 75F, but I'd be fine to run at 45F if it were sunny.  Whole lotta screwed up mental-ness going on in my brain :P

2014-11-12 12:41 PM

User image

This past Sunday we had a cold front roll through.  Completely overcast all day and temps got down into mid 60's!  Of course it then warmed up to around 75.  :\

2014-11-12 1:13 PM

Master
Northern IL

If it makes you feel any better, it was 46F and I swam in an outdoor pool this morning....Friday morning is slated to be in the upper 30's and I'll be swimming in the outdoor pool again.

We spent the whole summer (from May through September) never seeing below 78F....if you ask me to pick between running in 95F versus 45F, I'm inclined to pick the 95F even though I know I'd be faster at 45F!  Also, there's a LOT to be said about it being drizzly, windy, and dark....that would feel cold to me at 75F, but I'd be fine to run at 45F if it were sunny.  Whole lotta screwed up mental-ness going on in my brain :P

What was the water temp?

2014-11-12 3:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Too hot for really hard efforts, but pretty comfortable for being in the water in cold ambient temperatures.

In contrast, on Monday, the water temp was nearly 90F.  I almost quit during the warm-up....I proceeded to miss all of my intervals and could only tolerate a low volume swim.  Thankfully it seemed to be back under control today.

2014-11-12 3:35 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

90 degrees is disgusting!  Our pool is usually 80-82 and it's too warm at times.

I've never trained in an outdoor pool when it's that cool outside, must make for a mad dash to get dried off when you get out!

2014-11-12 3:38 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I have a interesting (and scary) bike workout on tap for tomorrow.  I predict suffering, starting out way too hard and dying badly.

10:00 easy
5x30s hard, 30s <220W
5:00 easy
10x15s all out, 45s <200W
10x10s all out, 50s <200W

2014-11-12 5:46 PM

User image

I have a interesting (and scary) bike workout on tap for tomorrow.  I predict suffering, starting out way too hard and dying badly.

5x30s hard, 30s <220W

C'mon...add it all up and it's only like 6.5 minutes of hard riding and 36 minutes of easy riding.  

2014-11-12 5:59 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
Originally posted by Jason N

5x30s hard, 30s <220W

C'mon...add it all up and it's only like 6.5 minutes of hard riding and 36 minutes of easy riding.  

The time will be up before your brain registers that you are suffering. Sounds like a good hard ride. Good luck with it.
2014-11-12 8:01 PM

User image

5x30s hard, 30s <220W

Hasn't your coach ever heard of the off season?   sheesh!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37587 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72947 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.