BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-11-16 5:52 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

By the way Chris, thanks for the advice on Alcatraz.  I was worried about a few of those things but now I know not to!  We had talked about doing a Napa winery tour the day before the race and now it seems like it wouldn't have any effect on the race so we booked two, one in the morning and one in the afternoon!  For the ferry ride I was thinking of a couple of In and Out burgers, does that sound about right?

2014-11-16 6:02 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by marcagOn a flat course I use a Torhans, on a hill course I use a BTA  

Interesting, what's the thought behind this?

I actually think the Torhans is faster. On a flat course your head is always down anyways. If I had a BTA I would end up siting up to drank. If I am using my own bottles (important) the Torhans is really easy to fill. So on a flat course I will start with a full Torhans on the front, large full bottle on the back and that is probably enough and no need to stop at all.

On a hilly course, I usually drink when I am climbing. Sit up, pull out bottle drink. No real cost. Torhans drinking on uphill is not fun, on downhill is not ideal. If I wait for flats I forget. With a BTA I can leave T1 with minimal fluids and get what I need as I go.

Torhans with course bottles is sometimes a pain. If the tip does not stay firmly open, just inserting it to refill can close the bottle. Course bottles are hit and miss in my experience.

I have both and can exchange them within 30 seconds.
2014-11-16 12:53 PM

User image

By the way Chris, thanks for the advice on Alcatraz.  I was worried about a few of those things but now I know not to!  We had talked about doing a Napa winery tour the day before the race and now it seems like it wouldn't have any effect on the race so we booked two, one in the morning and one in the afternoon!  For the ferry ride I was thinking of a couple of In and Out burgers, does that sound about right?

So long as they are double doubles, should be good to go!
2014-11-16 12:57 PM
in reply to: marcag

Master
, California
Where did you hear about Perform going away and what are they switching to? I can't find anything on Google.
2014-11-16 1:12 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by spudone

Where did you hear about Perform going away and what are they switching to? I can't find anything on Google.

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon-news/articles/2014/09/gatorade-ann...
2014-11-16 1:58 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-11-16 1:59 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

2014-11-16 2:01 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

2014-11-16 2:08 PM
in reply to: Fred D

2014-11-17 5:57 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Fred,

1.....Forums, one word, gain of salt. Well actually 3...... I learned a log time ago. It's just not worth the effort to confront people on the Internet. I also do not need to defend what I post. If people on the Internet don't like what I post, oh well..... Same for them. Sorting through the maze of good/bad info and flamers/trolls is all just opinions.

2.....I still have not talked to the CFO about possibly going with a coach.

3.....I still use my 305 Edge. I think one of the frist Garmin gps bike computers. I also have the 405 that has the touch bezel. (I know you love that one). My newest computer is the 910XT. I run that exclusively. I also use it for bike backup and while I am on the CT.

4.....I am definitely signed up for IMMT. I will most likely do Black Bear Olympic and some local races. Alcatraz is out for me.

5.....ZOOT! Why would you get a ZOOT? ....Have you every tried a 2 piece wetsuit? If I don't loose some weight I might be getting another suit.

6.....I can't wait to pics of the cave. Are you putting in a weight machine and treadmill? You should put the CT up on a platform with a disco ball.....
2014-11-17 8:28 AM

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by Fred D

OK, after a few random quotations of the group, I was hoping to give u a little update:

1. Don't miss the BT logging or forums (general) at all. Really have only stayed for this group and a select few who have checked in on my logs routinely.
  2. Starting up with Shane again tomorrow for a swim/run focus. Too cold for biking currently and won't have trainer access till mid december.
  3. Polar V800 finally has swim metrics and some other nice features like linking to apple health etc. They are sadly lacking in their integration with Viiiiva for power meter bridging, but I am hoping if they fix this soon that will be the last thing I need. I do recognize that the Garmin 920xt has "way more features", but it is not a watch I could use as a daily wearer (Maybe if I worked in a circus???). Polar Flow site is actually improving markedly as well.
  4. Race season is shaping up to be Alcatraz, likely a HIM in June as well (or maybe May), and IMMT. Looking forward to it.
  5. Going to buy a new wetsuit. Thinking of the high end ZOOT one. Have heard good reviews and I get a major discount, dunno if anyone has any experience with Zoot wetsuits?
  6. going to have an EPIC man cave/training area in the basement. Will post pics in December/January when it is set up.

Cheers otherwise!

Bought a Zoot wetsuit 3.0 last year as a friend works for Jarden that owns Zoot so I got a deep discount (I wanted a prophet but they didn't have my size).  For reference I went from a Nineteen pipeline that was getting old.  I didn't get an opportunity to try before I bought but went off their size guide and it fits as snugly as the Pipeline did.

Couple of things I noticed.  I get chafing at the top of my neck where the velcro closes even though I add lubricant there, and don't feel anything that should cause issues.  Usually kicks in after 20min of swimming, and didn't figure out a way around it last season.  My suit does fill with water a bit, and it seems to allow in a little more than the Pipeline, but I don't notice anything from a performance standpoint.  In the Pipeline I had to really hike up the sleeves otherwise I felt a bit constricted and pressure would build during the swim.  I don't notice this in the Zoot nearly as much, so i take that to mean better fit in the shoulder area and/or better suit design for range of motion.

Mine is mid-range suit, so I don't know how much of this will translate over if you get the Prophet.

2014-11-17 4:33 PM

Master
Essex Jct, VT
Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by rsmoylan

I am sure that this has been covered, but I was curious about nutrition for a full IM. I am going to be doing my first next year, and I know that it is a personal thing. I plan to practice a bunch on training rides and runs. I was just curious about what everyone does for the bike specifically. My interest is primarily:

How many calories?
What is your source/brands etc?
What is your setup? Where on your bike do you have your bottles?
How do you "live off the course"?

If this has been covered within this group; would you please point me to around where in the pages? Thanks so much.

Cheers

Scott,

I am not qualified to speak about IM since I have never done one. I can make comments on what I would do.

YesterdayI listened to a podcast with the guy that won IM Chatanooga (sp?). He seems pretty smart and one comment he made about nutrition is to not listen to anyone else's nutrition plan :-) I believe him. We are very individual.

I know for scientic fact, that too much is as bad as too little.
If you plan to live off the course it is critical to experiment with what you will use. There are ingredients they use for quick absorbtion that some people are intolerant to.
Remember that next year, IM is moving away from Perform. This sounds like a universally applauded move.
I would try to get an idea of my sweat rate. Do not be guided by it, but be aware.
I use a bottle on the front and a bottle on the rear. The rear is usually empty but I use it to pick up a bottle if the front is not empty yet. So I usually have max 1.5 full bottles with me
On a flat course I use a Torhans, on a hill course I use a BTA
Calories from Cliff blocks are my favorite. I need fewer calories than most but I have been tested to confirm this. 300-400 sounds like the point most agree with.
I have a Salt Stick Dispenser on my cockpit. If I use lots of water, I use the Salt sticks for electrolye balancing.
There are some really good race reports on nutrition. Look for the stuff BrianPBN posted on ST especially with Jordan. He gives a lot of detail and he knows his stuff.

A friend who I will be helping this winter had a metabolic test done. He is 100% carb user, even at low intensity. It will be interesting to see how much of that can change.

Thanks for the information, everyone. That is really helpful to know about the Perform as well. I just bought a huge tub of it. I find it to be very similar to gatorade with the way it sits in my stomach. I'm okay with it, I just need to also have something solid at some point and to mix in Perpetuem. This is great info though, thanks again all.
2014-11-19 9:16 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
I did a cold run this AM. At mile 3 I thought it was a bad idea but got thought it. Wind chill was 9 degrees. How's everybody doing in the colder weather?

2014-11-19 9:34 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

Master
Essex Jct, VT
We were in the teens yesterday for my run. It felt cold. On a positive note, this will feel warm in March and April.
2014-11-19 9:39 AM
in reply to: rsmoylan

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Last year was our coldest winter in 4 years. I ran outside every day through winter. It was epic..... I am looking to do the same this winter. I am hoping ST will do another 100 day run challenge. Does anyone have any insight on any 100 day run challenges?
2014-11-19 11:29 AM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by BrotherTri

Last year was our coldest winter in 4 years. I ran outside every day through winter. It was epic..... I am looking to do the same this winter. I am hoping ST will do another 100 day run challenge. Does anyone have any insight on any 100 day run challenges?

I am 99.9% sure Dev will do it again. I would even go on a limb and say 99.99999%

2014-11-19 11:31 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by BrotherTri I did a cold run this AM. At mile 3 I thought it was a bad idea but got thought it. Wind chill was 9 degrees. How's everybody doing in the colder weather?

It's not too cold here (right around 0C) but it's stupid windy today - 50-60 km/hr.

As a result, my run today turned into a stairs workout.  5 flights, 115 steps.  That sort of puts the 400 steps of the Sand ladder at Alcatraz into perspective...

2014-11-19 11:54 AM

Master
Northern IL

Right at 10F & 20F for each of yesterday's runs. Wind was near 20 mph for each, so whatever the WC works out to for that. Definitely below zero for the morning. Not sure if I ran outside once last winter, but picked right back up with it here.

2014-11-19 11:55 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by BrotherTri Last year was our coldest winter in 4 years. I ran outside every day through winter. It was epic..... I am looking to do the same this winter. I am hoping ST will do another 100 day run challenge. Does anyone have any insight on any 100 day run challenges?
I am 99.9% sure Dev will do it again. I would even go on a limb and say 99.99999%

Your lack of certainty is disconcerting.

2014-11-19 12:14 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by BrotherTri I did a cold run this AM. At mile 3 I thought it was a bad idea but got thought it. Wind chill was 9 degrees. How's everybody doing in the colder weather?

It's not too cold here (right around 0C) but it's stupid windy today - 50-60 km/hr.

As a result, my run today turned into a stairs workout.  5 flights, 115 steps.  That sort of puts the 400 steps of the Sand ladder at Alcatraz into perspective...

I work on the 16th floor so I should be in the right ballpark...

2014-11-19 12:18 PM
in reply to: spudone

Elite
PEI, Canada

Get climbing!  

There are two buildings in the city that are 10 stories and both are hotels.  I'm guessing they don't want me using their stairwells so I'll have to stick to the 5 in my building.

2014-11-19 12:32 PM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

It's been cold here the last few days as well, but should be warming up into the 60's today and 70's through the weekend.  Whew, I didn't think I was gonna make it through winter!!  Hah, it'll be back....I'm certain.

Sunday and Monday were in the 40's and WINDY....yesterday and this morning were in the 40's and calm.  It's amazing how much difference wind can make in the feel.  Yesterday's run and this morning's swim were far more pleasant

I've got a trip planned to NYC for a week in December.  I think I'm going to need some warmer clothes (a decent running jacket and some better gloves are basically required).  Here's to hoping it'll just be cold, but not snowy!

2014-11-19 12:34 PM

Master
Northern IL

Get climbing!  

There are two buildings in the city that are 10 stories and both are hotels.  I'm guessing they don't want me using their stairwells so I'll have to stick to the 5 in my building.

They have to catch up to throw you out.

2014-11-19 12:52 PM

2014-11-19 12:54 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jason N

Both runs yesterday were way better than any I've tried to do at 90.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37563 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72930 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.