General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I training hard enough? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-22 7:05 PM

User image

Subject: Am I training hard enough?
Everyone I've talked to and everything I've read tells me to not train too hard for my first tri. I was told the same thing before I did my first road race 3 years ago. I think I have a pretty good base of experience with 2 half marathons, 2 marathons and an R2R2R, and I placed second in my age group in both the half's.

So my question is this: Should I make my workouts harder to match how I feel, or heed what I've been told and not overtrain?

After my workouts, I feel like I could go back and do it again and feel fine. So I don't think I'm training hard enough. By the way I am pretty competitive, especially with myself, so it's my goal to get at least 3rd place in my upcoming race. Thoughts? Advice?

2014-05-22 7:14 PM
in reply to: Justice

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Am I training hard enough?
dunno... not enough info.

What are you doing now?
What kind of mileage/hours/history (what kind of volume did you do for your marathons/halfs/etc, and how does this compare?)

If you've been competitively running for some time, I would think you would know what the symptoms of getting close to overtraining are. Just guessing...I'd say you're not even in the ballpark of overtrained.
2014-05-22 8:33 PM

Originally posted by Justice

Everyone I've talked to and everything I've read tells me to not train too hard for my first tri. I was told the same thing before I did my first road race 3 years ago. I think I have a pretty good base of experience with 2 half marathons, 2 marathons and an R2R2R, and I placed second in my age group in both the half's.

So my question is this: Should I make my workouts harder to match how I feel, or heed what I've been told and not overtrain?

After my workouts, I feel like I could go back and do it again and feel fine. So I don't think I'm training hard enough. By the way I am pretty competitive, especially with myself, so it's my goal to get at least 3rd place in my upcoming race. Thoughts? Advice?

The word overtrain usually implies your training has been counter-productive i.e you end up fatigued or injured. It's still possible to train hard and not end up over training. Have a goal time in mind and train accordingly. Just because it’s your first triathlon doesn’t mean you can’t train hard.
2014-05-22 9:15 PM

Like the other replies, its hard to say without more history and actual numbers.

A few things to think about:

You can swim an intense workout basically every session you do, but build volume responsibly.

Cycling also allows you a good deal of intensity with a bit more injury potential than swimming, but a lot less than running.

You may and probably will find that you will have to drop some intensity from your running as the other two sports will take a bit out of you.

As a general rule, you want to hit your workout goals, but not be too exhausted to hit your goals in your next session.

Overall volume is generally dictated by the distance that you are training for, but not always, depending on how high you set your goals, and your base level of fitness, even shorter course athletes can put in a huge amount of training.

Acutal "overtraining syndrome," is hard to pull off. Its far easier to train at a higher level of intensity than you can handle and get injured.

When increasing training load, try to remember to increase either volume or intensity, but not both simultaneously.

The older you are, the more stuff starts to break down.

People do have a different amount of natural "injury resistance," some people can take a pretty good beating, others have to train smarter. Its always good to train smart, but some people can get away with pushing or finding their limits. This knowledge generally comes from trial and error.

2014-05-23 10:21 AM
in reply to: ImSore

User image

Originally posted by ImSore

Like the other replies, its hard to say without more history and actual numbers.

You can swim an intense workout basically every session you do, but build volume responsibly.

Cycling also allows you a good deal of intensity with a bit more injury potential than swimming, but a lot less than running.

You may and probably will find that you will have to drop some intensity from your running as the other two sports will take a bit out of you.

As a general rule, you want to hit your workout goals, but not be too exhausted to hit your goals in your next session.

Overall volume is generally dictated by the distance that you are training for, but not always, depending on how high you set your goals, and your base level of fitness, even shorter course athletes can put in a huge amount of training.

Acutal "overtraining syndrome," is hard to pull off. Its far easier to train at a higher level of intensity than you can handle and get injured.

When increasing training load, try to remember to increase either volume or intensity, but not both simultaneously.

People do have a different amount of natural "injury resistance," some people can take a pretty good beating, others have to train smarter. Its always good to train smart, but some people can get away with pushing or finding their limits. This knowledge generally comes from trial and error.

Ok, This is helpful. I guess I was looking for an uncomplicated quick answer, but it seems my question wasn't that straightforward. Here's a quick look at what I'm doing. I have a four month training plan for a sprint tri. I average 28 miles a week on the bike, with a max of 45 in one week, and a total of 508 miles. For running I'm doing an average of 6 miles a week, with a max of 10 and a total of 100 (This is way out of the norm for me so I will definitely be changing my running plan). Honestly I haven't really made any attempt at swimming yet.

As I look at my training plan it seems kinda wimpy, so I'll be bumping the mileage up a lot. Thanks for putting up with unintelligent questions from a newbie. Thanks again for your help.

P.S. When I say I got 2nd in two half marathons I don't mean I race competitively. I don't They were small races that didn't have a lot of people, so that's why I was able to do anything more than just finish.
2014-05-23 10:28 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Never train hard enough where it sacrifices your training the following day. Training is a progression. Epic workouts usually are not the ones you make the biggest gains off. Remember what the goal of the session is, if that is accomplished no matter how hard/easy it is, you reached the goal of the session.

2014-05-23 11:13 AM

User image

Champion
MA

You need to get swimming!

When you trained for your road races did you follow a plan? How did that work for you?

Training harder is vague.....and hard to grasp what you mean.

Do you mean do more volume or more intensity?

Tracking just how many mpw you are doing isn't all that informative.

A plan with a 25 mpw on the bike and 6 on the run isn't very robust. I'd suggest looking at a plan that has you s/b/r 3x a week each sport minimum. BT has many plans free on this site.

2014-05-23 11:21 AM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City

Originally posted by ImSore

Ok, This is helpful. I guess I was looking for an uncomplicated quick answer, but it seems my question wasn't that straightforward. Here's a quick look at what I'm doing. I have a four month training plan for a sprint tri. I average 28 miles a week on the bike, with a max of 45 in one week, and a total of 508 miles. For running I'm doing an average of 6 miles a week, with a max of 10 and a total of 100 (This is way out of the norm for me so I will definitely be changing my running plan). Honestly I haven't really made any attempt at swimming yet.

As I look at my training plan it seems kinda wimpy, so I'll be bumping the mileage up a lot. Thanks for putting up with unintelligent questions from a newbie. Thanks again for your help.

P.S. When I say I got 2nd in two half marathons I don't mean I race competitively. I don't They were small races that didn't have a lot of people, so that's why I was able to do anything more than just finish.

Based on what you've said here (although we still don't know quite enough about your base fitness) I'd say you need to train MORE and not HARDER. Also, if you're not already a very competent swimmer, as in former competitive swimmer, you need to get in the water ASAP.
2014-05-23 10:20 PM
in reply to: #5000473

OP. As a newbie to the tri world and fitness in general. I have had the good fortune to be able to take a TRI Camp at my local YMCA. We are finishing up 8 weeks of meeting every Sunday for an hour and a half. During this time we do brick training which is time devoted to two of the disciplines. This last week we did 45 mins of swim doing a variety of drills. The last 45 mins was devoted to running and some exercises designed to help with running muscles. You should spend a training day each week doing two disciplines to get used to that. Distance at this point does not matter. Rather getting two disciplines done back to back is the key.

If I remember correctly you said you were doing a sprint tri this year. That is what I am doing and the distances should be similar to mine as well. 700 swim 14 bike 3.1 run. You should really get in the pool and set a plan to be able to swim above that level. Maybe 1200 to 1400 yards so that the 700' will seem easy. Additionally you will be swimming in open waters (which I haven't done before). The info I have been told it is way different than a quiet lane in a swimming pool. I experienced something like this last week during my 45 min swim. There were 4 of us in one lane. I am a really slow swimmer but can go for long distance. The other 3 people in the lane were really fast so it really churned up the water and at times it simulated what I think the choppy open water will be like. Get swimming soon.

Hope this helps and good luck to you in the race. Some of you need to take it down a notch. Nit sure if some of you have forgotten the title of this website. " beginner triathlete ". Elitist attitudes need to go to the "veteran triathlete ". Message board
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I training hard enough? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Am I training enough?

Started by SHLD2005
Views: 1532 Posts: 16

2010-07-15 3:59 PM Donskiman

Frustrated thatt my outdoor bike workouts aren't hard enough

Started by agarose2000
Views: 2599 Posts: 17

2008-11-30 10:43 PM generalee2010

Am I riding enough?

Started by SuzanneS
Views: 1040 Posts: 19

2006-08-03 7:27 PM gsmacleod

Am I Swimming Enough

Started by TerryW
Views: 803 Posts: 7

2006-06-21 7:30 PM So Fresh So Clean

One month left and training hard enough?

Started by awamser
Views: 1116 Posts: 9

2004-05-13 5:57 PM Cuda
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 5
Protein: How much is enough? Weight Management: How much exercise is enough? Also discussed is the link between weight and taste buds.

date : June 25, 2010
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 4
Ever wonder what’s best to eat during long runs, bike rides or other exercise that lasts more than 60 to 90 minutes?
date : March 4, 2009
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.