General Discussion Race Reports! » Jorgensen Family YMCA Super Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Jorgensen Family YMCA Super Sprint Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Fort Wayne, Indiana
United States
America Multi-Sport
79F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 52m 49s
Overall Rank = 18/69
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/6
Pre-race routine:

Up at 0610. Dressed, had coffee and cereal (out of toast). Drove to site and set up transition, got chip and marked. Attended first-timers meeting at 0730, checked out beginning of run course (drove bike yesterday), and hydrated. 0830 was mandatory pre-race meeting, then we self-seeded for swim.
Swim
  • 05m 10s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

For this pool snake swim, we self-seeded by our 100 times. Most people guessed. I started about 10th overall. My 100 TT is 1:40 with an expected 300 time of 5:20. I wasn't exactly right, but must have seeded appropriately as I wasn't passed and didn't pass the swimmer in front of me. They started swimmers about :20 apart, so it didn't get crowded for the early starters at least.
What would you do differently?:

I started too fast and got winded, which shocked me as I'm a former competitive swimmer. I also shouldn't have tried to do flip turns under the lane lines without practicing it - I misjudged the angle, didn't really save any time, and wound up building up some lactate when that combined with starting too fast. I still finished with a better than predicted time, so it worked out!
Transition 1
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

Ran through transition, road wasn't bad. Ran with bike to mount line, in shoes. No wetsuit to deal with. Helmet on immediately, before socks and shoes.

It would be worth learning to bike without socks - putting them on probably took a minute. A 5 gallon bucket would have been awesome.
Bike
  • 27m 52s
  • 7.75 miles
  • 16.69 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall pace about what I expected. Course had some rolling hills, no hard climbs, but I haven't had much hill practice. Traffic was well-controlled. I passed two people on the bike, and was passed by about 5 - I thought that number would have been higher, given my lack of bike experience!

My start was awful. I couldn't figure out why my shoes wouldn't clip in - it was because my pedals were upside down. My brain was so addled from the swim that I didn't think to look. I struggled with a few of the hills - really need to work on those before my next race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

I didn't attempt any dismount tricks - hadn't practiced any. Just got off the bike after it stopped and ran next to it. Changed shoes tolerably well, again would have liked a bucket.

Would love to be able to save time by removing shoes early. My quick laces broke on one foot, which threw me off even though they were still fine for the run. Ran the wrong way initially - next time make sure to know the course! A volunteer corrected me almost immediately.
Run
  • 16m 7s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

The whole run, I felt like I was dragging because I was so worn out. Kept trying to push myself to run faster, and couldn't make myself do it. Set a PR for an outdoor run pace, faster than my best 5K time, so apparently I pushed enough!

Nothing! Just keep training, especially hills, bricks, and intervals
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a little post-race, did a little stretching, and ate

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was my first tri ever, and I did much better than I expected, winning my age group and placing 5th out of 33 women. I need to work on transitions and do more biking. I need to start slower in my next swim, which will be longer and in OW.

Event comments:

This was the first year this race has taken place. I tried to attend a first timers meeting that was scheduled for the night before the race, and was told by the volunteer after my ride dropped me off that it had been cancelled. An email would have been appreciated, even if it was last minute. When we arrived in the morning to get our chips, many were assigned to the wrong names. This was rectified by the RD, but we stood around for 15 minutes waiting for someone to find him. I never received my t-shirt, even though I registered very early. All other events were on time, and the course was well-marked and well-staffed. Many of us were nervous about how the TT swim start would work, but it went smoothly. The only water station was manned by one volunteer and his young child. It was fine for me, but I'm sure some people would have liked a full cup of water. I wish there had been a trash bin - I shoved my cup in my pocket. They ran out of medals after the race, which seemed odd as there were many no-shows. This was a small race, and there wasn't any kind of expo. Food and water supplies after were more than adequate, with a decent variety. I don't have any other races to compare this one too, but it seems like the important things went well and the details need some tweaking for next year. I'll probably do it again!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-04-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:10 | 300 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/69
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:28
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:27:52 | 07.75 miles | 16.69 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Started on sidewalk, 150-200 yds of no-pass zone. Then all on city streets with traffic. Officers were present at intersections to let us through, and I had no issues.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:16:07 | 02 miles | 08m 04s  min/mile
Performance: Good
(8:04 pace)
Course: Run mostly on paved trails, with good signage. Near the end, we had to run on grass to avoid bikers and hop a drainage ditch before the finish. That was odd, but didn't cause any problems. Course was flat and heat wasn't bad. Only water station was at mile marker, got a half cup that was enough for such a short race.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-06-15 3:04 PM

Subject: Jorgensen Family YMCA Super Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jorgensen Family YMCA Super Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Davis Family YMCA/Steel Valley Triathlon Club Sprint Distance Triathlon

Started by Tkimble01
Views: 1380 Posts: 1

2010-06-28 3:07 PM Tkimble01

Davis Family YMCA/Steel Valley Triathlon Club Sprint Distance Triathlon

Started by fcrellin791
Views: 1298 Posts: 1

2009-05-17 1:37 PM fcrellin791

Lafayette Family YMCA Sprint Triathlon

Started by pbarbato
Views: 1338 Posts: 2

2006-06-08 6:44 AM drdi

Greenwood Family YMCA Sprint Triathlon

Started by barqhead
Views: 1553 Posts: 3

2006-05-07 5:50 PM gullahcracker

Greenwood Family YMCA sprint triathlon

Started by barqhead
Views: 1090 Posts: 3

2005-04-17 10:58 PM StartingToTri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 30, 2013
author : Ron
comments : 1
We have new 10 and 20 week training plans for the New Year! These mini sprint plans are very conservative and will get any person thinking of training for a triathlon ready to cross the finish-line.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011

date : October 7, 2008
author : didds
comments : 0
Cotswold super sprint - UK. Lots of bodies colliding, I swam half over someone, got kicked by some bloody breaststroker, and as a mob we poured towards the first buoy.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.