General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triple Bypass- what gear to bring Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-03 11:29 AM

Veteran
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: Triple Bypass- what gear to bring
All...I'll be doing the triple Bypass next weekend for the first time and I was looking for some guidance as to what cold/rain gear I should bring.

Thanks

2014-07-05 8:09 AM
in reply to: Bonafide505

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Subject: RE: Triple Bypass- what gear to bring
Originally posted by Bonafide505

All...I'll be doing the triple Bypass next weekend for the first time and I was looking for some guidance as to what cold/rain gear I should bring.

Thanks

Me too!
2014-07-05 8:20 AM
in reply to: RockTractor

Veteran
Albuquerque, New Mexico
2014-07-06 9:40 AM

User image

Indian Hills, CO
I'm not doing it this year but have done it 5 times.

Unless you're a racer, start early. We usually started between 6 and 6:30. I would start the ride in tights and arm warmers with a jacket in my pocket. I've always had headgear (under helmet skullcap or balaclava) and wore it sometime during the day. If you have full finger gloves, bring them. Not insulated ones, just mtn bike gloves.

If you start early and dress warm for Squaw/Juniper you will be in warm clothes all the way until Idaho Springs. That's when you'll peal off layers. Be versatile. If it rains in the afternoon you will be putting that stuff back on.

The first year we did it my buddy's girlfriend drove along. In Copper he gave her all his warm clothes and then it started raining on Vail pass. He was miserable on the descent.

Unless the finish is a different venue than the past, be prepared for NO SHADE when you're getting your post ride meal/beer. One year we left early just because we wanted out of the sun.

My crew usually took 10 hours with 8 in the saddle.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Ted

P.S. I didn't do it the rainy year in 2006 I believe. I would say if it is raining at the beginning and you are determined to finish, ditch all cycling clothes and just bring a heavy duty shell/pants that you might wear skiing. Another friend rode that year and it sounded so miserable that if I ever went to the start and it was raining, I would bail and go back home.
2014-07-06 2:03 PM
in reply to: indianhillsted

Veteran
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Ted...Thanks for the great review and advice!

We are planning on riding it casually and will probably be on the road the same time, if not a little longer.
2014-07-07 11:52 AM

User image

Indian Hills, CO
A little more advice...

Skip the first aid station. It can be super crowded. You can hit the bathroom at the little picnic area at Echo Lake just a few miles further. Also, there is a forest ranger station at the bottom of Squaw/Juniper in Idaho Springs. They have a nice restroom and water. I bet you'll save 20-30 min doing this. It's on the left before you cross over I-70.

Don't think of Loveland pass as a short 4 mile climb from the ski resort. That climb starts in Idaho Springs. I usually found this to be the toughest part because being along the interstate sucks. The frontage roads can be pretty rough. The descent past A-Basin is the only time on the whole ride I was sketched out...the winds as you switchback down can be intense and they come from diff't directions.

I guess I don't know if they ride over the dam or over Swan Mountain Road...but that Swan mtn rd climb can be a killer. Also the trail between Breck and Frisco is hilly and can be crowded with other trail users.

I'd be doing it this year but I'm spending all my time on my mtn bike getting ready for the Laramie Enduro.

2014-07-14 2:03 PM

User image

Indian Hills, CO
So how was it? Looked like it could be perfect or brutal depending on the time of day.
2014-07-15 3:15 PM
in reply to: indianhillsted

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Originally posted by indianhillsted

So how was it? Looked like it could be perfect or brutal depending on the time of day.

Bonafide505 and I had a great time!
We caught a little rain heading up Loveland pass - but, nothing major.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triple Bypass- what gear to bring Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Triple Bypass Entry for sale

Started by lodewey
Views: 3125 Posts: 8

2010-06-24 11:12 PM jodietaylor

Triple Bypass

Started by cooutdoors
Views: 2541 Posts: 16

2009-01-21 9:27 AM cooutdoors

Triple Bypass

Started by greyhound
Views: 1020 Posts: 4

2008-07-13 5:19 PM Cal

Triple Bypass Registration

Started by Cal
Views: 861 Posts: 1

2008-03-15 11:51 AM Cal

last minute - way back from triple bypass

Started by devotchkatata
Views: 794 Posts: 3

2006-07-11 8:03 PM devotchkatata
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2008
author : buffalo2090
comments : 6
A journey from a seemingly healthy lifestyle, to heart surgery and back again.

date : August 17, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 0
Athletes were buzzing around, adding last minute things to their transition bags. The sidewalks and grassy areas are filled with spectators and cameras. Announcements were being made.
date : July 9, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 3
What do you bring to the starting line? What are you going to leave on the course? What will you take with you across the finish line?

date : September 3, 2006
My goal is always to lead by example, and after running the marathon and becoming a volunteer in my hospital's cardiac unit I looked for another way to inspire people. Hello, triathlons!
date : July 30, 2006
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : July 2, 2006
From triple bypass to triathlon. I am now just two days away from the Pacific Crest Half-Ironman.