General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike commute logistics Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-23 9:35 PM

Subject: Bike commute logistics
Those of you who commute by bike, how do you do it? Do you ride in cycling gear? If so, where do you change? Do you park your bike on a rack out front or bring it in? I'm trying to get up the nerve to start, at least 1-2 days a week, but I need to figure out how first.

My commute is 23 miles each way, if I take a bike-friendly country road. I work in the OR, so I have a locker room and work clothes are provided. I can shower there if needed. I would not be comfortable walking through the hospital lobby in tight bike shorts, and my boss probably wouldn't be either. Not sure how to get around that one, although google introduced me to MTB shorts this evening. Maybe those would work? Or wear my tri shorts under something looser? What about when the weather gets cooler? is there a product you can wear all day with a thin chamois, or do I need to bring separate underwear?

Should I lock the bike outside? U-lock? Something extra for the front wheel? I work in a smallish town, not a high crime area. I can also ask permission to bring it inside, but I'd have to drag it through the whole hospital to get to the hallway I could possibly use.

My only bike is a Cannondale Synapse roadie, btw. We don't have any old ones laying around, and since I just bought it in March a second bike is not in the cards this year.

Sorry for the million questions! The bike is my weakest area, and I struggle to find the time to ride. An extra 46-92 miles a week would double or triple what I'm doing now, which would be awesome. Thanks BTers!

2014-07-23 9:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Bike commute logistics
I bike commute sometimes and I too have access to showers, etc. I can bring my bike into my building though. If it isn't high crime and you're comfortable buy a good lock and secure accordingly. Or you can look and ask around for other areas and access points to secure it. Heck talk to the Maintenance guys, janitors and see if they have a place out of the way for you.

Before you go doubting your boss will say no to walking through w bike shorts, just ask him. Not trying to be rude, but you may have more of a problem than he or anyone else does, unless they are worn out or in poor taste. Or worst case scenario, roll up a flimsy pair of shorts and stuff in your bike jersey or wrap them around your top tube or similiar. IMO, bike shorts aren't that big of a deal. I walk around with them into my building, but then again there are a few cyclists who also do the same.

Good luck, Tom

Edited by tallytom 2014-07-23 9:44 PM
2014-07-23 9:58 PM
in reply to: MMW37

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

I ride sometimes, but am stepping my game up starting next week since I got a new bike with disc brakes and a nice messenger bag.  I ride to work in my cycling kit and change/shower there and park my bike in my cube with my kit hanging on a hanger on the cube wall.  No one says anything to me about it.  It's about 10 miles each way for me on mostly bike friendly roads, and only one section that is a little sketchy in the afternoons.  I'd probably stop all together if they made me leave my bike outside. 

2014-07-23 10:00 PM

User image

If I take my surly I leave it outside on our bike rack and lock it though the frame and back wheel with a U lock and a cable though the front wheel. My u lock is the kind that locks on both sides of the U so someone would have to cut through both legs to get it off. That said i work in a very safe suburban area and I don't worry much. I have a rack and a bag on the surly. I always pack the bag the night before so I don't show up without my badge. No badge = no shower. I have a lock room at work because I joined the building's gym. I can't leave anything there so my shower stuff lives in my desk. I make a point to get to work at least 40 min early so its pretty empty and fewer people will spot my spandex clad butt. On the way home I can change in the locker room.

If I ride my tri bike I drop my clothes off the day before and leave my bike in my cube. I usually wait about 10 minutes past quitting time then change in the bathroom and sneak out hoping no one sees my spandex clad butt. No one has ever said anything about coming and going in my bike clothes. I do 90% of my commuting on the surly, but once in a while I just feel like the tri bike.

10356037_660977220795_2586109294431758782_n

If you don't have access to a shower you could try baby wipes and sponge baths, but I"d be pretty paranoid about smelling bad this time of year.
2014-07-24 8:14 AM

I bring/take home a couple work outfits on driving days, so clothes are there. I ride in baggy shorts w/ compression shorts underneath, personal preference I guess as sometimes I stop for errands/bar on the way home and feel comfy that way. Maybe there is an alternative entrance you could use. I keep the bike outside on a rack, locked. I leave the lock on the rack instead of hauling it to save the weight. Also I bring flipflops to change out of my cycling shoes when I'm locking my bike up. I walk thru the building to get my clothes from my office and then to the locker room which has showers, grab a coffee on the way back and ta-da.

Hope you figure it out, I have only done it for a couple of seasons and 1-2x/wk but love it when I can.
2014-07-24 8:26 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
I've been bike commuting for the past eight years; I've commuted on a MTB, road bike, cyclo-cross bike and now a fixie. Most of these I've used with a rack and panniers which is something I recommend for anyone who is planning to bike commute; not only is it much more comfortable, you will sweat much less without a pack on your back.

I wear cycling gear and wear it into work to where I store my bike and get changed. I have access to a shower but I'll usually just ride a bit easier on the way in, have a quick clean up with wet wipes and call it good. As for wearing cycling gear into work, I wouldn't expect an issue - it isn't like you're going to be working in it just going to change. I am more concerned with walking the halls in bike shoes; I have Looks and have the rubber covers to slip on if I need to walk more than a few steps (or I'll walk in sock feet).

Shane

2014-07-24 9:37 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

My commute is only 2 miles so I just wear running shorts. That anecdote probably doesn't help you, but the idea of wearing gym shorts over your bike shorts might, or slipping them on when you arrive.

I ride my vintage roadie and use a rope lock to chain it to the bike rack outside. I do have to walk through the building and take an elevator to the basement to get to the showers, but it's not completely uncommon to see employees in gym clothes here, since the company provides a gym. 

I roll my work clothes tightly (so they don't wrinkle) and put them, my shoes, a makeup bag, hairbrush, my lunch, etc. in a day pack. It's small enough where it's not too heavy at all, especially for only 2 miles. If you're carrying a laptop or other items I'd recommend the panniers. 

2014-07-24 12:03 PM
in reply to: #5029778

You're right, it's probably just me who thinks people will stare at me in spandex, lol. I still get self-conscious wearing it. I guess I just need to bite the bullet and give it a try, tweaking my wardrobe as needed. I don't have much that I need to carry, since I have a locker and we wear hospital-issue scrubs. Deep breath - I'll get some supplies by next week, hopefully!
2014-07-24 12:34 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I'm probably not typical, so I don't know how much I can help. My commute is about 3.5km so 10 minutes. I ride my 1970s cruiser and it has big fenders and a chain guard, so it's pretty good at protecting me from the rain. Also in the rain, I wear rubber pants and jacket, so I really don't get wet. My commute to work is also mostly downhill or flat, so I don't even get sweaty. If I feel like I am going to get sweaty, I just slow down. Taking 50% longer to get to work only adds 5 minutes, so it isn't a big deal. I just wear regular clothes and have flat pedals.

However, it is often the case that I am going somewhere after work. In the summer, I'm often going for a ride, so I do change into my cycling kit and ride my road bike. I have clothing and shoes at work that I bring in an home once a week, so I just ride my commuter bike with a backpack a couple of times a week and can bring the stuff in.

In the winter, I often just ride my winter road bike with a backpack as when I ride after work it is usually to the velodrome, so isn't that far to ride with a backpack.

When I get to work, I don't shower because I haven't sweated. Also, we have a bike room with hooks on the wall, so I keep my bike in it and there is no need for a lock.

Edited by jeng 2014-07-24 12:37 PM
2014-07-24 12:36 PM

User image

DC
Originally posted by MMW37

You're right, it's probably just me who thinks people will stare at me in spandex, lol. I still get self-conscious wearing it. I guess I just need to bite the bullet and give it a try, tweaking my wardrobe as needed. I don't have much that I need to carry, since I have a locker and we wear hospital-issue scrubs. Deep breath - I'll get some supplies by next week, hopefully!

I "stock up" on food clothes every couple of weeks so that my commute rides serve as my training rides.

Tight in public: I just don't feel comfy wearing tights around co-workers. Luckily I avoid everyone when I get in. In your case, perhaps you would consider riding w/a pair of regular shorts in your jersey pocket & slip them on before you go in.
2014-07-24 1:08 PM

User image

New user
Kingston, Ontario
I bike to work a lot. i dont wear the spandex shorts often and when i do i will wear a loose fitting shirt so it doesnt look so tacky IMO. Other days i just wear gym gear, loose shorts and a t-shirt. Far as where to put the bike? They will let you take it inside. I have never had any issues with employers arguing about anything that has to do with exercise.. Hospital might be tricky but the janitors will know a spot in the basment for sure. far as food and what to bring... I bring my lunch, extra underwear and maybe some extra socks. If you have a locker at work like i do than i leave my unifor t work. when it comes time for a clean unifrom i bring in back in my bag. I recomend a good bag. Those days i call extra training because i have more weight in ym bag lol. Far as weather goes well plan accordingly.. Mornings that are chilly ill wear a coat. If i get cold i bike harder. Warms me up pretty quickley. Good luck...

2014-07-24 1:11 PM
in reply to: katan2212

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by katan2212

Far as where to put the bike? They will let you take it inside. I have never had any issues with employers arguing about anything that has to do with exercise..  

I would not assume this automatically... my previous employer specifically forbid bicycles inside the buildings, yet provided no bike rack or anything. I had to chain it to a fence in the parking lot. 

2014-07-24 2:07 PM
in reply to: Porfirio

Regular
Corona
Originally posted by Porfirio

Originally posted by MMW37

I "stock up" on food clothes every couple of weeks so that my commute rides serve as my training rides.

Tight in public: I just don't feel comfy wearing tights around co-workers. Luckily I avoid everyone when I get in. In your case, perhaps you would consider riding w/a pair of regular shorts in your jersey pocket & slip them on before you go in.

X2. I used to pack a pair of shorts in the pocket of my jersey and throw them on. After a few times of your co workers seeing you in spandex you'll get over it. Just like when you started riding in spandex in public.

I keep a stock of food and clothes in a locker at work and bring them home on Fridays.
2015-04-08 10:14 AM

User image

Bump!

I'd like to start bike commuting 1-2 times per week to work, especially as I am also starting grad school and would love to not have to pay to park and walk all the way across campus, when it would take me an equal amount of time to bike directly to the building I'm going to. My office is about 3 miles away, and campus is 6? miles away, mostly on a multi-use path though I could go through traffic for a more direct route. I appreciate seeing all the tips here from last summer.

Anyone making plans or modifications for bike commuting this season? I could use my road bike for now but I'd consider getting a commuter bike for use once classes start, I can lock up my road bike in a storage area of the office but I don't want it in front of a building on campus, even locked... we're apparently pretty notorious for bike locks getting cut.
2015-04-08 10:23 AM
in reply to: anneozzy

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

I prefer a U lock because they're a lot harder to cut then a cable lock. I'm also pretty paranoid about my bike getting picked over so I'll take the front wheel off, and send the U lock through the frame, and both the front and back wheels, then I'll take the entire seat post off, and the bike computer if I have one, and just bring that with me wherever I'm going. In the past I've had a crummy $50 craigslist bike that I could commute on and not worry too much if it did get jacked, but I certainly wouldn't commute on a nice bike. I've also been lucky that a lot of places I've worked had a shower which makes a huge difference. I can't imagine sitting at work sweaty and gross all day. When I lived in Montreal my friend and I actually rode our bikes to work all winter long in the snow, and the salt really grimes up the transmission, so when nobody was looking she'd actually take her bike into the shower with her to spray it off!

Good luck, and congrats on making the wonderful decision to bike commute!

2015-04-08 10:34 AM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Last summer was the first time I bike commuted into work. I'll start again soon but the weather has not been so good. 

My office building has a ton of outdoor bike racks for parking - and we can't bring our bikes in.  I work in a 30-storey office building.  I got my sister's cheap moutain/hybrid bike and ride that in.  Lock it up with a u-lock and it's good. It's about a 10k ride in and i don't use it for training or anything. It's not the point to go as fast as i can in city traffic. 

For clothing i usually do a semi change at work since I'll bike in comfier pants and change into a business skirt or pants when there. But if you're in class you can likely dress more for comfort. The mornings are cooler and the route is shady then so i didn't get too sweaty and then it didn't matter much on the way home. 

Helmet hair was usually the issue (no way am I commuting without a helmet) - so all summer my hair was mostly in a ponytail. 

this year i may leave a stock of clothes at the office to change into and replenish occasionally.  Also, I got a basket for my bike this year so maybe i can stow more stuff instead of using a small backpack. 

2015-04-08 12:37 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Originally posted by trijamie

I prefer a U lock because they're a lot harder to cut then a cable lock. I'm also pretty paranoid about my bike getting picked over so I'll take the front wheel off, and send the U lock through the frame, and both the front and back wheels, then I'll take the entire seat post off, and the bike computer if I have one, and just bring that with me wherever I'm going. In the past I've had a crummy $50 craigslist bike that I could commute on and not worry too much if it did get jacked, but I certainly wouldn't commute on a nice bike. I've also been lucky that a lot of places I've worked had a shower which makes a huge difference. I can't imagine sitting at work sweaty and gross all day. When I lived in Montreal my friend and I actually rode our bikes to work all winter long in the snow, and the salt really grimes up the transmission, so when nobody was looking she'd actually take her bike into the shower with her to spray it off!

Good luck, and congrats on making the wonderful decision to bike commute!

Thanks! I love the bike in the shower idea, got to take care of them! I don't think I will get very gross riding just three miles to work, and like an above poster said class is more casual and getting a little sweaty is ok. We have my sister's old Trek in the basement, I'm not sure how well it fits me but we could probably modify it a bit and it might work for the commuting to campus once that starts this summer.
2015-04-08 12:53 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Best bike commute logistical choice I made was investing in a bike rack and removable panniers (like this, 100% worth it).  I find carrying the weight of my stuff on the back wheel to be comfortable and my back doesn't get sweaty.  My commute is about 14 mile each way, so I sometimes stop at the nearby gym to shower and get ready and then soft pedal it the last mile.  I do bring in clothes and food in advance, but still have plenty to bring on the day.  Especially if I plan to shower.

Perhaps needless to say, I do not ride my racing bike. I ride my original roadie, but if I didn't have that I would consider investing in a sturdy bike that performs decently for any commute over 10 miles.  I tried using a really crappy bike (80s 10 speed that didn't fit) and commutes were miserable.

If you're locking up outside, I recommend a very well rated U lock and cable system.    Your bike will be unattended for 8-10 hours, so you want to loop in the front wheel and make sure the frame is secured.  I take off my underseat wedge and lights.  I don't go as far as removing the seat, but I would if I was in an urban area. 

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2015-04-08 12:55 PM
2015-05-01 8:00 AM

User image

Today is Casual Commute Day, to promote clean commuting, so I thought it would be a good day to start trying to bike commute. It's a pretty perfect day for it, 45 this morning warming up to 70 later, and it's Friday which means I get to dress down at work, so much easier to change once I got to work. I drive a motorcycle too (first world problems, I have too many modes of transportation) so packing my stuff into a backpack to bring with me wasn't too hard, but I should have though ahead and brought some stuff in yesterday and left it here. Oh well, learning curve. My Giant is now locked in the storage area in the back of the building. Success! I even got a new segment on Strava, lol. Thanks for the tips, everyone.

Anyone else new to bike commute? Or getting back into it as weather allows?
2015-05-01 8:24 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

I started by talking to my health promotions/HR bod at work. They do a wellness challenge every Summer to log fitness minutes and so piggy backing on that I announced I was riding to work. A hospital should have a similar supportive policy?

I am able to leave my bike in the bottom of a stair well. Its this side of the building security so typically I don't lock it up (my Trek 1 series, not a nice bike but too nice to get stolen).

I am so glad to have a shower room at work. Staying in any kind of combo cycle gear is asking for trouble like jock itch. Don't stay sweaty.

Cold weather here is a big deal (Canada) but while the season is on cooler temps actually help as you arrive less sweaty.

Aside from personal experience I would highly suggest:

1) Talking to a boss or HR saying you want to do this to support your health.

2) Leave some supplies at work (shower gel, deoderant etc)

3) Be bold about walking through the place in your spandex. Do it. Why would anyone care about you walking into the place in sports gear.

2015-05-01 8:59 AM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

, Kronobergs lan
If you can shower and work clothes are provided, then shower and put your work clothes on. I don't understand why you would want to walk around in your bike shorts all day in this case. My commute is 10 miles and although I havent done it yet, I have a change of clothes and shower stuff in my office, ready for the day I manage to get my arse into gear and bike to work.

2015-05-01 10:29 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by anneozzy Today is Casual Commute Day, to promote clean commuting, so I thought it would be a good day to start trying to bike commute. It's a pretty perfect day for it, 45 this morning warming up to 70 later, and it's Friday which means I get to dress down at work, so much easier to change once I got to work. I drive a motorcycle too (first world problems, I have too many modes of transportation) so packing my stuff into a backpack to bring with me wasn't too hard, but I should have though ahead and brought some stuff in yesterday and left it here. Oh well, learning curve. My Giant is now locked in the storage area in the back of the building. Success! I even got a new segment on Strava, lol. Thanks for the tips, everyone. Anyone else new to bike commute? Or getting back into it as weather allows?

I ride home from work a couple of times a week, as TW and I carpool most days. So, my "bike commute" is quite different than most people. Today is one of those days, as the bike came in the back of the van a couple of days ago. 

Enjoy the ride!!!!

2015-05-01 12:41 PM

Veteran
I have been commuting for 3 years now. It is a 10 mile each way commute, half on MUPs and half in traffic. I bring in my supplies for the week when I drive on Monday and take everything home when I drive on Friday. Drive days also double as swim days since the pool is a fair distance off my route. I bike in, run at lunch, bike home and I've got about 2 hours of training in before 4:30 pm which leaves plenty of time for everything else like school, family and food. No shower here so I have to use baby wipes (about 6 per day). Bike waits for me in the warehouse all day. Be safe out there!
2015-05-01 2:03 PM

User image

Given you have a locker and showers, I found that bringing clean clothes to work on the weekend (or if during the day you might have to drive to work) and just taking home dirty clothes is what works best for me.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike commute logistics Rss Feed