Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Looking for Irish Wolfhound Breeder Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-28 12:22 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: Looking for Irish Wolfhound Breeder

Anyone have any recs on a solid, ethical Wolfhound breeder; preferably someone with multiple CDX titles in their stock? Looking to possibly get a pup next year so starting the long research and scouting process now. 

2014-07-28 1:26 PM
in reply to: thebigb

Extreme Veteran
Northbridge, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Looking for Irish Wolfhound Breeder
We just went through the same process looking for our English Mastiff.

Some of the things that I learned during our 18 month search:

I would work with the national club for the breed to get a list of breeders and start your search from that list.

http://www.iwclubofamerica.org/

If at all possible, go to a few dog shows where they will be exhibited and talk with the handlers/owners. For the IW, it might mean a bit of travel since they won't show up at smaller shows.

Make sure that they health test. Just because the parents don't exhibit current signs of issues doesn't mean that they are healthy. Look at the breed website for tests that are common to the IW

Refer to the IW website for the best questions to ask breeders.

Get pet insurance. The giant breeds can have health issues that are unique and to treat them, it can be twice or three times the amount it would be for a regular dog. I got pet insurance for $600 a yr ($500 deductible) but all vaccinations, annual teeth cleaning and annual exams are fully covered.

Look for a group on Facebook for IW owners. I have learned quite a bit of general health information from this group which has several reputable breeders as members. You might get some references from them as well as some that you should stay away from at all costs.

Probably all things you are already doing but that is what we did to fond our puppy.

Here is our puppy that we welcomed at the end of May.

(Thor8wks.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Thor8wks.jpg (84KB - 6 downloads)
2014-07-28 1:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Such a beautiful pup! Name? I've always wanted a Bull Mastiff named "Knuckles". 

ETA: haha, now I see his name right there, plain as day! Thor- love it. 

Thanks for the info. Actually aware of all of that already, just taking stabs here and there to see if I can conjur up anyone with personal experience to share. Obviously, being a bit more rare of a breed it's a touch more difficult to actually encounter owners. Definitely will be doing multiple site visits and everything else that comes with responsibly researching and selecting a breeder.  

Edited by thebigb 2014-07-28 1:32 PM
2014-07-28 1:43 PM

Extreme Veteran
Northbridge, Massachusetts
Originally posted by thebigb

Such a beautiful pup! Name? I've always wanted a Bull Mastiff named "Knuckles". 

ETA: haha, now I see his name right there, plain as day! Thor- love it. 

Thanks for the info. Actually aware of all of that already, just taking stabs here and there to see if I can conjur up anyone with personal experience to share. Obviously, being a bit more rare of a breed it's a touch more difficult to actually encounter owners. Definitely will be doing multiple site visits and everything else that comes with responsibly researching and selecting a breeder.  

My 11 yr old son named him, so I take no responsibility. :-) I wanted Hagrid. He has been so much fun and so easy to train.

I love the Irish Wolfhound and would definitely consider owning one. I love the big dogs. Good luck with your search and you can't beat BT for finding resources!

2014-07-28 2:30 PM

You might want to try your regional Irish Wolfhound club as well:

http://desertirishwolfhounds.com/

And an excellent article by Donna Brown:

http://www.iwclubofamerica.org/obedience

Best wishes!
2014-07-28 2:42 PM
in reply to: SGriepsma

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Awww, Thor is adorable! I don't have anything to contribute to the thread--just wanted to say thanks for the puppy pic.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Looking for Irish Wolfhound Breeder Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Breeders Cup...or "why I hate horse racing"

Started by Big Sexy
Views: 1152 Posts: 17

2007-10-30 7:50 PM medic1962

Irish Car Bomb challenge Pages: 1 2 3

Started by 1stTimeTri
Views: 2188 Posts: 63

2007-10-25 4:47 PM Zilla

Official Irish Vacation Picture Thread

Started by phoenixazul
Views: 837 Posts: 18

2007-03-28 5:36 PM AdventureBear

GO IRISH!!!!!! Pages: 1 2

Started by ChrisM
Views: 1103 Posts: 38

2006-11-28 7:33 PM DerekL

Atheist vs Believer debate on Irish radio

Started by dontracy
Views: 594 Posts: 6

2006-10-18 9:29 AM drewb8
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
How do I know if my cleats need to be adjusted? And how do you know in which direction to adjust them? I have been having medial knee pain and edema but my LBS says the cleat placement is fine.

date : February 17, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 13
I have pedals with the cage and when I ride 2+ hours my legs feel much more tired then if I took out my husband's bike with clipless pedals. Do clipless pedals truly make the difference?
date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.