General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for sprint but trying to build volume, too Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-01 11:45 PM

User image

Veteran
, New Jersey
Subject: Training for sprint but trying to build volume, too
I gave birth to my first baby in May (yay!) and started training a few weeks later; I registered for an Olympic tri in July last winter when I could still see my feet and felt brave! My goal was only to finish, and I did finish with a better time than I expected. My only goal in registering for races this summer was to get myself back in shape.

My next race is a sprint in early September, and this time I hope to actually compete in this one, though I absolutely don't expect a PR! I'm still relatively new to triathlon, and I could use some advice. I know that if I want to compete, I should train specifically for this distance. However, I still have weight to lose, and I want to build endurance as well. My normal training is a 22 mile hilly bike ride, 2000-5000 in the pool, and a 6 mile run. While pregnant, I rode my trainer and continued my normal run until I couldn't for medical reasons around 31 weeks (in February), and after that, I swam (slower every week) until I delivered in May. I resumed training when I was cleared to do so in June. Biking was easiest to resume for some reason; I'm back on track to very close to my pre-pregnancy pace. It was easy to get back to swimming distance, but I'm still incredibly slow. Running took the longest to get back because I had a C-section, but I'm building my pace faster than I'm re-building my pace swimming.

I'm kind of at a loss as to what I should be doing, and short of hiring a professional coach or trainer, I don't know who else to ask. Is it reasonable to do a short, fast workout in one discipline for race training, and then a long, slow one to build endurance and lose weight? For example, today I did a 3 mile run at a much faster pace than my race in July, and then an hour long pyramid in the pool. All three disciplines need work in terms of pace AND endurance, so I've been trying to work on both separately for each discipline.

I feel like I'm starting from scratch, but with an okay aerobic base, since I was allowed to keep working out for most of my pregnancy. But realistically, I slowed down in my first trimester last fall, stopped most training in February, and didn't resume until June. I've been a runner for nearly two decades, but I consider myself a newbie, middle of the pack triathlete. My goal right now is to start competing again, and to build towards my first half Iron distance next year...and to lose the baby weight. Any insight for the short and long term would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, and I joined a local tri club, which will definitely help. I've already met some very cool people to train with, and I'm sure I'll learn a lot. But I'd love some guidance for my individual workouts starting now, because I'm really winging it! TIA :-)

2014-08-02 7:37 AM
in reply to: eyosh

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: Training for sprint but trying to build volume, too
My advise is to build volume slowly. I did many sprints before doing an Oly a couple of years ago. Obviously the distances are longer and so you need to make sure you work into your training longer sessions to get used to 30 mins of continual swimming, 1.5 hrs of biking, and 1 hr of running. For me, the distance was not that shocking as these distances are consistent with my workouts. What I found challenging was running a 10K after biking 40K, this is a matter of building a stronger base but honestly, we are always working on this with training so nothing new here. So just keep doing what your doing and enjoy.
2014-08-04 12:52 PM
in reply to: eyosh

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Training for sprint but trying to build volume, too

i would be cautious too.  It may not be the best idea to build volume WHILE ALSO doing more speed workouts unless you can be monitored by a coach to mitigate injury. I would focus on volume, hold it there for a season while incorporating some speed workouts without building more volume.  For example, doing a fast run on Monday - where you set PR's and then go for a long run on the weekend - longer than previous...I don't think the body will handle too many of those before problems occur.  

I would focus on the base you have now...it's around the olympic level and hold it over the fall and winter.  You can then do some interval-type workouts to work on speed in the winter once your body has fully absorbed that volume.  Then come this spring, you can evaluate as if you want to build again to the HIM level per your goals.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for sprint but trying to build volume, too Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Run volume for Sprint/Oly training?

Started by Oysterboy
Views: 929 Posts: 6

2013-02-13 11:09 PM brigby1

lower volume vs. higher volume training plans

Started by brucemorgan
Views: 1478 Posts: 11

2012-01-16 4:50 AM DirkP

Training for Sprints/Oly - Hours/Volume?

Started by roadracer618
Views: 1082 Posts: 15

2011-05-27 2:50 PM roadracer618

Running volume build

Started by wbayek
Views: 756 Posts: 6

2009-11-14 11:29 AM Donskiman

Newbie: off-season volume building starting point

Started by ellismichael
Views: 480 Posts: 2

2004-10-25 12:15 AM PrimeCase
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 31, 2012
author : TINKARRA
comments : 0
Most of the races are flat here, but I live in the area where I could do hilly rides with 1500-2000m of climbing. Is there much benefit with that if I am racing flat?

date : December 19, 2008
author : AMSSM
My right knee has a pain in the front, just below the kneecap. I walked 24 miles of IM Louisville. No pain while walking but it started immediately when trying to run.
date : July 30, 2006
author : Amy Kuitse
You ask yourself if a couple of months will be enough time to prepare for that sprint; and how must swim training change in volume and intensity for the longer distances?

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.