General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First triathlon was a bit of a disaster Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-02 11:44 AM

Subject: First triathlon was a bit of a disaster
Since this is my first thread on here I'll start with some background on myself. I'm a 30 year old female who started training for triathlons after seeing my sister do her first one in March. We both had private swimming lessons as kids for probably ten years or so, but haven't swam much since then. I don't remember the last time I rode a bike, but had taken up running the year before prior to stopping for about nine months due to health concerns. (Turns out the health concerns were due to stress and had nothing to do with running). So fair to say, started in March as a beginner with an edge in swimming.

My first triathlon was to be the sprint mountain man in Flagstaff, AZ (about 7000 ft above where I usually live). I trained every day I had off work and felt ready! The only thing I hadn't done to prepare that I had wanted to was to try exercising at altitude which I thought might present some problems due to my asthma.
However, my sister and I got up there about 3 pm the day before the race and I didn't feel any effects, so I thought I'd be ok. We also decided to wear our wetsuits even though I had never even put mine on before.
Fast forward to the day of the race. It was an open water swim, also a first for me, but I felt good for the first 50-100 m until someone grabbed and wouldn't let go of my foot. I stopped because the woman was panicking to let her get to the kayak but by then had lost all momentum. I started to panic, I tried to backstroke but then started throwing up, and had an asthma attack. I felt like I was going to die. I was trying to swim but I felt disoriented, nauseous and couldn't catch my breath. I ended up so disoriented that the 800 m swim turned into a 1200 m swim because I was so far off course and was swimming the wrong direction at one point. A swim that normally takes me less than 20 minutes took me nearly an hour. I threw up 7 times and twice more on the bike.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Do you think it could have been having so many firsts in one day (open water swim, triathlon, wet suit), the altitude, going out to fast? My biggest concern is that the next triathlon is in September (it's at the altitude I'm used to) and I don't know whether to sign up for the sprint (where I know I can push myself to finish the swim) or the olympic (I have no problem with the bike or swimming endurance for this distance in the pool and am working my miles up in the run). I'd love some advice.

2014-08-02 11:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: First triathlon was a bit of a disaster

Sorry about your first tri experience.  Reading this it would seem to be a little bit of everything happened at once for you.  The altitude, asthma and wetsuit.  I don't like swimming in wetsuits as I feel too constricted - which could definitely exacerbate an asthma condition.  I haven't had the experience in high altitude, but I'm sure it could have been a factor too.  I guess you had the trifecta that happened at once - any of them on their own and perhaps you wouldn't have been affected.

I would still stick with the sprint as your next race to make sure you are fine in the water and it's just not general open water + wetsuit that triggers and attack.  Do you really need a wetsuit at this location?  If the water is warm enough, I would forego it due to being asthmatic.  At the sprint distance, you will certainly be more comfortable.

Good luck and keep us posted on the next race.

2014-08-02 12:21 PM
in reply to: Nucgirl

, Wisconsin
Sorry to hear about your experience. I agree that the altitude/wetsuit/crazy person hanging on all contributed. Not trying to beat up on you, but they always say to never try something new on race day, and both wetsuit and altitude were new for you. I know the first couple times in my wetsuit I wasn't real comfortable, and I wasn't dealing with any other stress like someone grabbing me. After a few times I felt great in it, in fact I liked that I could actually float without effort if I needed to.
Personally, if it were me, I'd do a Sprint next just to be in a comfort zone of sorts and build confidence and experience. You are young, so you have plenty of time to move up to longer distances and it sounds like you're training will get you there. I think you'd actually enjoy doing the Sprint which will be motivating to keep up the training and go for longer if you choose.
2014-08-02 12:30 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Its not your fault its just that you got lucky your the one beside that unprepared participant who just thought can wing out the distance. I am sorry it triggered your asthma which threw you off your momentum , but you stuck it out and finished it . I am sure it can be a different situation next time.

2014-08-02 8:29 PM
in reply to: #5034119

Thank you all for your encouraging words. The next race will not be wetsuit legal, so at least that is one less thing I will have to contend with. I'm also going to attend an open water clinic to try to get used to the open water before the next triathlon. I definitely will not be trying anything new the day of the next race.
2014-08-02 8:55 PM

The good news, the 2nd one always goes better than the first.

And yes, assuming you went from sea level to 7k, asthma, first time open water, you were asking a bit much. Shrug it off and try again.

2014-08-02 11:23 PM
in reply to: #5034273

Thanks ziggie; glad to know the second one usually goes better. I am so excited for the next one to get here - really hoping it goes better. I know I will probably look at my first tri as the hardest earned finishers medal ever!
2014-08-02 11:34 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Despite all the challenges, (a) you finished, and (b) you're still planning to do another one.  That's a huge testament to your determination.  You should be pretty darned proud of yourself, even if it did feel like a disaster!  Here's hoping your next one is a breeze!

2014-08-03 1:45 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It really sounds like a perfect storm of events that hopefully you're not likely to repeat all in one race--altitude, asthma, being grabbed, nausea, first time in a wetsuit. If you survived that, no matter how horrible, most swims should be easier. That being said, you do need to build your confidence for situations that might come up in open water.

I'd suggest doing another sprint so you can focus on having a positive experience in the swim and feeling really comfortable in open water at that distance before moving up. Make sure you've worn the wetsuit several times prior to the event, preferably including a short swim at the race venue. that will help you get used to the feeling of constriction. Some people also find that wearing ear plugs can help prevent nausea, especially in very cold or turbulent water. If possible do a short swim warmup prior to the start, or at least some activity on land to get your heart rate up prior to the start (I sometimes do the latter if air temps are low). Consider using your inhaler preventatively if you think conditions might trigger an attack. I use mine if I"vehad any illness or major allergy issues in the past few weeks, which makes an attack more likely. You can even rig up a way to take the inhaler on the swim if that wold help your peace of mind. If the water is particularly cold, try to immerse or at least splash your face in order to lessen the difficulties with getting started breathing out. it's better to start very conservatively (maybe to the outside or in the back) and pick it up if you're feeling good, rather than start too aggressively and start gasping and panicking.

Finally, swimming at altitude seems a bit different than running or biking. I did some training at altitude a few years ago and found that while I was able to adjust my pace and breathing pretty much automatically on the run and bike, I tended to stick to my preferred breathing pattern on the swim and then end up really out of breath after several cycles. I had to consciously make myself breathe pretty much every 2 strokes rather than my usual 3-4.

Hope some of these ideas are useful and you have a better experience in your next race.
2014-08-03 9:28 PM
in reply to: #5034307

Thanks for all the tips hot runner. What you described about the swim was exactly what I felt too...I guess I just figured I would feel it on the run too, but the run wasn't a problem.
2014-08-03 10:05 PM

User image

Champion
MA

For all you went through, you finished, you are tough and determined. It will only get better. Congrats!

I suspect like others it was all those factors mixed into one.

Biggest recommendation I have for you is do quite a few open water swims between now and your next race so you can adjust to feeling comfortable in your wetsuit. 3x a week is not to much. Practice just feeling at peace in your wetsuit...just float, and enjoy the beauty around you. If you are nervous swimming, swim in waist deep water parallel to the shore not away from the shore until you feel calm and comfortable.

For me even with years of doing tris including Ironman, I sometimes have anxiety when swimming in wetsuit in a race and it is always from not enough ows practice in my wetsuit. After a certain number of ows in my wetsuit my anxiety goes down. Until that point I often have a mental fight with it and it takes perseverance to continue swimming w/o stopping.

2014-08-05 9:34 AM
in reply to: #5034532

Thanks for the advice Kathy. When it cools off enough to wear a wetsuit in the lakes around here I definitely plan on getting some practice in. Until then it's going to be practicing as much as I can in my trisuit. I really just did not expect swimming in open water to be that different from a pool but it certainly is
2014-08-05 9:50 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

I'm sorry your first tri didn't go so well.  I can sympathize.  I have asthma, too.  I've noticed that altitude can take a day or two to really affect me.  I also had trouble breathing the first few times I swam with my wetsuit despite being comfortable in the pool and the open water.  It was something about the restrictiveness of the wetsuit that caused problems for me.  Definitely practice some more with it.  It does get better.  Stick with it!  

2014-08-05 10:17 AM
in reply to: Artemis

Everyone has pretty much mentioned what I was going to say - You did awesome in that you finished! I don't think I could have persevered through that and makes you pretty bada** in my opinion!

Regarding altitude - the other big thing to do is making sure you are extremely well hydrated. While you want to be anyway prior to a tri - one of the best ways to handle altitude is by drinking more water. And it is pretty typical for it not to affect you right away. I am guessing that the altitude probably kicked in at the race start which just added to all the fun factors you had to deal with.
2014-08-05 11:04 AM
in reply to: TriSlate

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

I agree with all those that said congrats for sticking it out and finishing. You're a badazz and you've got a great story to tell for your first. You'll look at obstacles in future races and say, "meh".

Also agree that you just need more open water experience.

Welcome to BT!

2014-08-06 5:26 PM
in reply to: #5035307

Aww, thanks for all the love and support! I certainly did not feel like much of a badazz stumbling out of the lake but felt much better when I found out so many people DNF the swim. I also feel better knowing that probably every triathlon I do will seem better than that one, lol.

2014-08-07 1:10 PM

No kidding about the perfect storm.

You finished! RIGHT ON! And, I bet even though you feel like it was a disaster....it probably settled by the time you were into the bike...and I bet despite the altitude, the run still felt fairly comfortable and when you look back at the whole thing you were probably ready for more that day.

Even better, you said "first triathlon was a bit of a disaster"

You didn't say "Only triathlon was a bit of a disaster"

#2 couldn't really be any worse!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First triathlon was a bit of a disaster Rss Feed