General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So...I'm not tired or sore after IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-09 7:22 PM

User image

Subject: So...I'm not tired or sore after IM
I did my second IM over the weekend. I ate almost a full dinner at 9pm that night and then got 7 hours of sleep (a lot of me). I wake up and I'm not tried, I'm not sore, and I'm walking like nothing happened. I feel like a million bucks. The only thing that hurt was my sun burned back. I decided to skip the extra day there and drove the 6.5 hours back home after eating lunch. I feel so good in fact, that I'm going to sign up for an Oly this weekend. Something seems odd. I remember last time I didn't have the 1-2 months of tiredness that everyone else had, but I did have about 1.5 weeks of tiredness but I still ran a 1/2 marathon a week after my IM for the hell of it. I did an easy 3 mile jog tonight and felt good. HR was in Z1 and pace was a low Z2. I'm hoping it isn't a delayed thing but I can't imagine it would be at this point. It's been 2 days. Anyone else feel fine after their IM? I feel better than I do after a standalone marathon.

2014-09-09 8:39 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: So...I'm not tired or sore after IM

I've never felt that way after IM. Your fatigue may creep up on you. One good indicator if you have recovered is doing intervals and how they feel compared to normal.  I did a Oly 2 weeks after my first IM because a bunch of my family was doing the race.  It was one race I wanted to quit during the race. I just didn't have anything in me. Bike sucked, and I just didn't have the normal fieriness or desire to push it hard.

If I was you, I'd be cautious and allow both your body and mind to rest up and recover.

2014-09-10 8:49 AM

I felt a little stiff after my IM the next morning. But not sore. By lunch it had worked itself out and I felt fine. Went on to have a great vacation. I will add however that I did nothing the week after (other than walking around on vacation) and when I started doing light physical activity the following week I felt completely dead. I took it super easy, but it took about a month before I felt like I had fully recovered.

I would suggest being overly cautious with the Oly race. I felt just like you the next day, and had you asked me I would have said I could go do an Oly soon after but as soon as I did some physical activity no way would I have been able to do it. At least not successfully, feeling good, and without risking injury.
2014-09-10 9:09 AM

I'm going to get in on the humblebrag too. I went under 12 hours on my IM this past weekend I the only soreness or tiredness I have is from the wet suit chafing. Monday I went for a little two mile walk, and was feeling so good on Tuesday, I did a 7 mile run, 6 this morning. What this tells me is I could have pushed a lot harder during the race itself. Having energy left over for an Oly a week later means you finished to finish, not to do the best you possibly could do. but there is nothing wrong with your goal being able to do and be able to say, I did an Oly the next week rather than, I did the IM in a really fast time. Two different goals = different strokes for different folks
2014-09-10 9:25 AM
in reply to: gotbitten

User image

Give it a couple of weeks. I was in the same boat as you after IM Whistler. 3.5 weeks later I could barely walk up a flight of stairs without huffing and puffing and the legs we like two dead logs hanging from my pelvis.
2014-09-10 9:34 AM
in reply to: DeVinci13

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

you didn't race hard enough

2014-09-10 10:09 AM

User image

over a barrier
Just speculating, but did you run the IM marathon or walk and shuffle it a bunch?

The DOMS would only last a day or three but the fatigue started slowly creeping in and last several weeks.
2014-09-10 11:32 AM
in reply to: running2far

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

My experience at last IM was that I felt pretty good the next day but rested and then started in with some light workouts.  After a few days it hit me like a ton of bricks.  Not sure if I was just still pumped up about the race or I just felt better than I thought I would but I definately had a delayed onset of fatigue/soreness.

2014-09-10 11:55 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Sensei
Sin City

You're probably genetically gifted and recover faster than everyone else or just more fit than the rest of us.

2014-09-10 1:27 PM
in reply to: running2far

User image

Originally posted by running2far

Just speculating, but did you run the IM marathon or walk and shuffle it a bunch?

The DOMS would only last a day or three but the fatigue started slowly creeping in and last several weeks.

I ran a 3:55 marathon during the IM. So I ran a lot of it but I walked through all the aid stations and had to walk 3 or 4 times during the race near the end. I saw the pictures of myself today and I look horrible. Every single one of them has me hunched over. I do feel like I could have maybe squeezed out a slightly better time overall but not by much. Hard to get the perfect IM pace but I thought I did ok at it.

I did sign up for the tri this weekend. I'm still feeling good. I'm going to swim tonight and see how I feel with an elevated HR and then do an easy hour ride tomorrow.
2014-09-10 2:31 PM

I say if you feel good enough to do it, then you should give it a go.

I did IMMT this year, and by Tuesday I was biking again and ran 12 miles the following Saturday (I felt like I could have gone 16, but had to cut it short due to other obligations). Sometimes I run a marathon and feel like hell for quite a while, and then others I feel great. I haven't been able to pinpoint what it is, but I think that the weather tends to be a contributing factor for me. If it's cooler and not too sunny, I usually feel better during the days following an event.

Do you find that you feel fine after some races, but not so hot after others?

2014-09-10 4:47 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by dmiller5

you didn't race hard enough

I would guess either the fatigue is going to hammer you in the coming days or else the above quote nails it (especially with regards to the run).

Shane
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So...I'm not tired or sore after IM Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

I'm not rude, I'm just near-sighted (story: accidentally hogging a pool lane)

Started by Miles around Midtown
Views: 2296 Posts: 18

2013-04-18 5:50 AM kaburns1214

Do you ever get tired of being sore?

Started by Photo Mike
Views: 1267 Posts: 7

2011-07-10 7:47 AM tuwood

Explain it to me- Training tired and sore- no rest days Pages: 1 2

Started by KSH
Views: 3701 Posts: 41

2009-08-17 8:04 PM Rad-Onc PA

If I'm not sore, does it mean I'm not working hard enough?

Started by lovemymak
Views: 1924 Posts: 10

2008-06-18 9:15 AM hurtin

It's 10pm and I'm not dead tired?

Started by smilford
Views: 1016 Posts: 5

2007-11-20 7:09 AM ShawnC13
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?

date : May 7, 2008
author : katzchen55
comments : 3
My thanks to the triathlete community for being there when I need you. That’s the beautiful thing about triathletes. None of us are all right, and no one expects anyone else to be.
date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.

date : September 10, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 12
This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.