General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ANT+ treadmill software Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-09 8:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Subject: ANT+ treadmill software
I am looking for something that might not exist. I certainly havent found it yet.

I would like to have heart rate, speed and distance displayed on my PC while I run on the treadmill. I will need to buy the heart rate strap and a foot pod. I would also really like to stick to Ant+ so I can use the heart rate strap with Trainerroad.I saw virtual runner but dont want to watch their videos of running through the park I want to watch Top Gear or Breaking Bad.

Basically I want trainerroad for the treadmill. Does anyone have a solution?

2014-09-10 7:18 AM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: ANT+ treadmill software
TR needs to do this. Have you emailed them?
2014-09-10 10:20 AM
in reply to: GAUG3

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
maybe here. http://www.thisisant.com/forum/ this is the ANT+ developers stuff. If I get some time I might look at it, I think garmin footpods are ant+, I know the HR is, so its just getting the signal and passing it to an application, maybe an addin to golden cheetah.
2014-09-10 1:39 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
2014-09-10 3:55 PM

It does not yet exist.

I have considered this a "killer app" for treadmills for over a decade now, but looks like zero treadmill manufacturers share this opinion.

Seriously, if there was a treadmill where you could ANT+ it to an easily programmable software like Trainerroad where you could easily tell it to do X pace for Y minutes, like a Trainerroad workout, I would prefer that treadmill over even a $15k Woodway treadmill that lacked that software for programmable intervals, and judging from how many people love their Computrainers and Trainerroads and Kickrs, I think they're missing out on a potential game-changing killer app in the TM market. 

2014-09-10 4:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

It would seem like a better idea would be for the treadmill makers to allow people to program and collect data into their smart-phones or tablets. Setting up a laptop might be ok for the home treadmill user, but it wouldn't be convenient for all the gym treadmill runners-- to tap into that market they would be better off with mobile apps. There are apps that let you collect data on SOME treadmills, I'm pretty sure.

I use an app on my iPhone called iSmoothRun and it collects data via the phone's internal accelerometer as well as peripherals like BTLE heart rate monitors. Of course you can't use it to program the treadmill, but this might be a good interim solution for you if you can use BTLE instead of ANT+. I do find that the paces on from the accelerometer don't always match the treadmill, though.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2014-09-10 4:25 PM

2014-09-10 5:37 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by yazmaster

It does not yet exist.

I have considered this a "killer app" for treadmills for over a decade now, but looks like zero treadmill manufacturers share this opinion.

Seriously, if there was a treadmill where you could ANT+ it to an easily programmable software like Trainerroad where you could easily tell it to do X pace for Y minutes, like a Trainerroad workout, I would prefer that treadmill over even a $15k Woodway treadmill that lacked that software for programmable intervals, and judging from how many people love their Computrainers and Trainerroads and Kickrs, I think they're missing out on a potential game-changing killer app in the TM market. 

that would be killer. All I really need is a basic heads up display. I wanted it on a PC as I use a projector for my "home theater of suffering" and just wanted it up there on the screen just like trainer road. I guess I can do it on my Iphone
2014-09-11 8:09 AM

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
This is ANT+ lists the Garmin footpod as being compatible; you now can get speed and steps to a computer. Pair that with HRM and can collect speed and HRM and time. If you have a tablet or laptop with an USB port you can go anywhere and have the capabilities. It wouldn’t be too difficult to write a module based on Golden Cheetah or something akin to that to receive the footpod data. Pair that with sufferfest steamroller and an erg file you can probably build a target HR and or pace for you to hit during the workout.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ANT+ treadmill software Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

best way to boost ant+ signal from laptop?

Started by braciole
Views: 2815 Posts: 11

2014-01-05 9:38 AM braciole

Garmin ant+ for iphone or polar HRM with bluetooth

Started by chirunner134
Views: 1505 Posts: 2

2013-12-27 10:00 AM marcag

ant+ display for the bike?

Started by Bradleykd
Views: 1122 Posts: 3

2013-08-07 4:53 PM julio26pt2

Iphone App - Ant+ / Powermeter Display

Started by harleyclone
Views: 1693 Posts: 3

2012-10-31 7:39 PM wolfador

Ant+ powered cadence thingy?

Started by sdanaher
Views: 926 Posts: 3

2010-08-16 8:47 AM dcrainmaker
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 4, 2009
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Here are our most popular questions for training during the off season. Everything from treadmills to heart rate monitors to core strength.

date : April 5, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on river swims, speedsuits, road bike at IMKY, FOP IM pointers, saddle positioning, run8/walk2 method, treadmill to outside running, heelstriking and HRM on race day.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 2
When we do or don’t use the treadmill is not so much the issue as to how we use it. When is it appropriate to use a treadmill for your workouts?

date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 4
How important is it to train on the actual road vs. treadmill and on a real bike vs. spinning classes?
date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.

date : October 30, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
Off season training, nutrition, faster run, strength training, treadmill and more.
date : May 3, 2005
author : smeeko
Have you ever wondered about the benefits and drawbacks of treadmill running?

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle