General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to training with Power Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-09 2:11 PM

Fort Worth
Subject: New to training with Power
I'm new to training with Power but picked up a Stages Power Meter with my recent used TT purchase of a Cannondale Slice. Doing a search, I found a primer from Training Peaks on training with Power.

My question is, what do you guys use to capture the data? Seems like so many options with Garmin watches, Garmin bike comps, iphone apps, etc.

Then, do you upload to training peaks?

I need a simple solution to train and race on the bike under a threshold, so I can run the Ironman Chat 2015 after I got off the bike.

Thanks for any help.

2014-10-09 5:02 PM
in reply to: Beniger

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: New to training with Power
Originally posted by Beniger

I'm new to training with Power but picked up a Stages Power Meter with my recent used TT purchase of a Cannondale Slice. Doing a search, I found a primer from Training Peaks on training with Power.

My question is, what do you guys use to capture the data? Seems like so many options with Garmin watches, Garmin bike comps, iphone apps, etc.

I need a simple solution to train and race on the bike under a threshold, so I can run the Ironman Chat 2015 after I got off the bike.

Thanks for any help.

You can capture the data on a 910xt watch or a 500/510/800/810 bike computer
You can also use a Polar or Sunnto watch. There are other options
an Iphone will work but not allowed during a race.

A bike computer is easier to read IMO
Beware, some people have had problems between the Stages and 910xt.

A good, free piece of software is Golden Cheetah. Training peaks or WKO are also options to look at.

Read Coggan's or Skiba's book on training with a Power Meter.
2014-10-10 7:27 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: New to training with Power
Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by Beniger

Thanks for any help.

You can capture the data on a 910xt watch or a 500/510/800/810 bike computer
You can also use a Polar or Sunnto watch. There are other options
an Iphone will work but not allowed during a race.

A bike computer is easier to read IMO
Beware, some people have had problems between the Stages and 910xt.

A good, free piece of software is Golden Cheetah. Training peaks or WKO are also options to look at.

Read Coggan's or Skiba's book on training with a Power Meter.

x2 on whets posted above.

Spend the first month or so just riding and learning what 150, 200, 300w feels like etc. See if you can hold the same power through the ride, the start dialing in workouts.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to training with Power Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

A Watt is a Watt - Power Training vs Heart Rate Training

Started by RobertFontaine
Views: 4341 Posts: 22

2013-03-14 10:33 PM golfer17

"Power" training without power meter?

Started by scott319
Views: 2405 Posts: 7

2011-07-12 3:09 PM gadzooks

Avg power for those with power meters? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Oriondriver02
Views: 8044 Posts: 71

2011-04-09 8:52 PM GoFaster

Incorporating Cross-Training into your Power Training?

Started by DRLski
Views: 857 Posts: 2

2009-07-27 6:46 PM DrPete

Power Meter (Power Tap) Basics

Started by jamesehatcher
Views: 1952 Posts: 10

2007-10-24 11:33 AM yaqui
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 18, 2011
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
In part one, you will learn the fundamentals of power training and the benefits of training with a power meter.

date : April 19, 2009
Learn how a power meter can serve a role as a race-reconnaissance tool and to help in pacing so you don't go out too hard. Race power analysis included.
date : March 4, 2009
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : January 20, 2009
In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : December 3, 2008
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.
date : March 17, 2008
author : CPT
In this third segment, Colorado Premier Training goes through several bike position tests to improve on rider efficiency. This was accomplished by varying the saddle height and aerobar width.

date : December 3, 2007
author : CPT
comments : 5
Colorado Premier Training goes over the basics of what bike power training is and how it relates to your optimal bike position.