General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Changing Running Form - Is it Possible? Sustainable? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-03 6:31 PM

Veteran
41° 4' 36" N 71° 56' 10" W
Subject: Changing Running Form - Is it Possible? Sustainable?
Here's an interesting developmnt for me. I never thought i'd be reporting something like this, but I think I found soething almost by accident.
In doing some interval or fartlek runs, i noticed I was more able to keep going at the faster paces by altering my running style slightly. This means taking slghtly longer strides and almost heel strike. And by doing this, i felt i was much more running from my hips than my quads.
Well, so far on distances up to about 8 miles it seems to work. I am running more comfortably than i have for quite a number of years. And interestingly I am not having the ankle pains I used to have. Not yet anyway.

But I am waiting for reality to set in. If I had been running differently for most of my adult life, perhaps i will end up developing other pains at longer distances. i often felt you run a certain way for a reason - that your body is telling you how to run.

How many of you have really changed your running styles?

And have you been able to sustain that new style?

(I also feel I might revert back to the old style on longer distanes whe I get tired, but so far no)

2014-11-03 8:29 PM
in reply to: JohnP_NY

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Changing Running Form - Is it Possible? Sustainable?
You're purposely taking longer strides and doing heel strikes? Ehhh. Tell me how it goes in about a year...
2014-11-03 8:34 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Changing running form when you are older can cause some issues. I changed my running style in my late 40s and was injured 2 weeks later and took full year to recover fully.

2014-11-03 9:50 PM

My running form is constantly evolving. So yes, I would say changing running form is very possible.

I personally never did anything drastic. I would work on my cadence on the treadmill and work on running at least at 180 steps per min (3 steps per second). Also, once I had a good enough base, I started working in more interval running, and also strides into some of my workouts.

So while I did not so much make a conscious effort to change my stride, I ran harder and faster (when I could) and "forced" my body to learn to become more economical. And really, this is what I continue to do. I keep getting faster, and I'm staying relatively healthy. So, I'm going to keep at it.

2014-11-03 9:58 PM

User image

Pro

my guess is that this change isn't going to work out for you in the long run (pun intended)

get your cadence up, and your feet under you.

2014-11-04 6:00 PM
in reply to: morey000

Veteran
41° 4' 36" N 71° 56' 10" W
Originally posted by morey000

my guess is that this change isn't going to work out for you in the long run (pun intended)

get your cadence up, and your feet under you.

if i see myself in a mirror, I'd say my feet were mostly behind me. And I was leaning too far forwrd

Also, can't say i am heel striking, but what i was doing before could not have been that great either. My ankles would hurt so much, I'd never be able to do much more mieage than 25 per week.

2014-11-04 6:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York
It took me at least half a year to stop overstriding and heel striking. The more I evolved from that the LESS shin, ankle, hip pain I had.
I also increased my slight pitch forward at the ankle joint, not the waist; this improved my ground strike position and created improved propulsion forward. Shin angles have an impact of stress of the ankle joint as well. I don't have to be conscious of the overstride unless I am at fatigue point in runs (albeit intervals or races - esp. sprints) So it's definitely sustainable.

I don't think in the long run you're going to love the overstriding. And, um.....how does one overstride without heel striking? You'd look like a prancing deer no?

Edited by TJHammer 2014-11-04 6:22 PM
2014-11-04 6:25 PM
in reply to: #5065068

User image

Franklin, TN
An ultra runner told me if I wanted to stay relatively injury-free, make sure your foot plants beneath the knee....not out in front of it.
2014-11-05 11:54 AM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I think that it is difficult to make drastic changes in your normal running style/stride.  Some very fast prople have odd looking strides but that is just what is comfortable and natural for them.  I do think that you can improve your natural form with drills and speedwork though.

Also, I have worked on changing my form for very specific circumstances such as steeper hills and steeper descents.  I was experimenting with some long downhill descents last weekend and made some pretty drastic changes that worked very well for me and I'll continue to refine.

2014-11-05 3:15 PM
in reply to: #5065363

I found that changing my running shoes helped me heel strike less. Had a 12mm heel drop to begin with and couldn't help but heel strike even with shorter strides. Not have 6mm drop runners and can midfoot comfortably, albeit still very consciously. So maybe a change in footwear may help with making adjustments to running style.
2014-11-05 4:38 PM

User image

I've changed my running style slightly and have sustained it. A few years ago I tried to change to a toe strike instead of a heel strike and I couldn't do it. It was too big a change after years of running.
It's not a bad thing to look at a different style. If you look at marathon runners, a lot of them change a number of times during the race.

2014-11-05 4:54 PM

Sounds normal to me. You're running faster and your body is responding by using a longer stride. Your assuming a heel strike but if your not feeling the shock of it, don't be so certain. If your not feeling extra sore and nothing is nagging you, I wouldn't worry about it. It's been my experience that the faster you go, the longer your stride has to become.

As to it feeling better, yeah, I love the feeling of going fast with a long stride. Who doesn't? What kind of pace are you hitting on these intervals?
2014-11-05 5:54 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
It is quite possible to change your running form and it is possible to sustain that new form. Whether or not that is something you should do would depend on your circumstances - often injured even with a gradual build - maybe you need to look at your form. Been running for years with no issues? Likely best to leave your form alone.

As to your changes, I would suspect that your form hasn't changed as dramatically as you feel it has while running - some video of the two might be helpful if you can get some to take the video. You should also remember that running form changes as you run at different speed so it might just be what happens at a slightly higher speed.

Shane
2014-11-05 6:16 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Originally posted by ziggie204

Sounds normal to me. You're running faster and your body is responding by using a longer stride. Your assuming a heel strike but if your not feeling the shock of it, don't be so certain. If your not feeling extra sore and nothing is nagging you, I wouldn't worry about it. It's been my experience that the faster you go, the longer your stride has to become.

As to it feeling better, yeah, I love the feeling of going fast with a long stride. Who doesn't? What kind of pace are you hitting on these intervals?

A longer stride (what you are describing) does not need to result in overstriding (the OP's topic)!
Check out some elites from Boston 2010: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h53UTHVCc7gThey are moving crazy fast and yet their knees are all above their heels (and feet almost flat) when they hit the ground. If these guys can run like this at sub-5:00 pace at 5'7", the rest of us have no excuse to land with the leading foot way out front with our toes in the air.
2014-11-05 9:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by ziggie204

You're getting the mechanics of running completely wrong. You speed up which can increase your stride, you don't increase your stride to speed up.

To put it another way, striding longer while keeping your cadence the same is a bad idea. Sprinters don't heel strike, they don't even come close. There is no reason to "assume" heel strike if you're foot is hitting the ground below your knee. If anything, the faster you go, the less you heel strike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fjC1Oim0UQ

Changing running form is always possible, as to sustainable, eh. If you really want to know sustainable without waiting a year, maybe work into some 5 finger style shoes slowly for a few weeks. If your increased stride doesn't work with no heel cushion, it's probably a bad idea.

Edited by chris948 2014-11-05 9:13 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Changing Running Form - Is it Possible? Sustainable? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Running Form Change and hip Pain

Started by ndame88
Views: 2445 Posts: 13

2012-04-07 6:51 PM ndame88

Has anyone sucessfully changed their running form?

Started by chevy57
Views: 1767 Posts: 22

2011-03-06 4:29 PM KathyG

If possible bad weather for Sprint, change anything?

Started by joeyg
Views: 1093 Posts: 7

2009-05-14 11:49 AM TriMyBest

tri changed to run-bike-run..help!!

Started by Tizzy
Views: 958 Posts: 9

2006-04-03 10:12 PM TriBefore40

Running form, the Pose Running method (Learn To RunTM )

Started by DRM
Views: 1661 Posts: 8

2004-04-09 7:29 PM meanman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 23, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Should I try to shorten my stride to prevent knee pain? Do you have suggestions for making the change stick? It's so hard to remember and be consistent!

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.

date : July 9, 2007
author : gsmacleod
Taking the time to have your running form analyzed can help many athletes run further, faster or both!
date : August 22, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions regarding running form and blisters.

date : October 24, 2004
author : tri-en
If you are like many runners you may be frustrated at racing 5K distances and never being able to run them faster. Improve your race pace with this flexible 12 week program.